All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Well, after two days of up-in-the-air travels plans and lots of texting with Anita, she's on her way north, and I finally got my flight re-booked today with no fee.  I have a new itinerary set for myself that starts exactly a week later than I had planned. I will miss the opportunity to kitty-sit for Grace, but I was able to switch my AK ticket for a different day and got a super deal for one of the Disney resort hotels (with a great pool) for my first two days. Then I'll get lots of time with my sister and other family in Sarasota. A happy bonus is that Anita and I will overlap for my last day, so we will get to hang out and do something fun. Another happy bonus is that I will get to Zumba with one of my favorite teachers in Sarasota when I get there. She is awesome. I am hoping for a trip to St. Armand's Circle, one of my favorite places to window shop and eat, and of course... shop at Steinmart. :)

Sally, even though the storm is tracking differently than originally predicted, I hope you are safe and sound these next few days. Please keep us posted.

My bag is all packed since I was going to be home late from the lake tomorrow and then off to the airport early on Tuesday. I'll have to hang everything up for a week and repack it all again next Monday! Not a bad "problem" to have given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Hello all!  It's been a really nice weekend.  Since last fall when my daughter became engaged, it seems like almost every weekend, day off and even many weeknights have consisted of wedding planning, holiday planning, shower planning...then I had my kidney issues, my cruise and showers a few weekends in a row.

This has been the first time in a while that I could just do what I wanted the entire weekend.  For me, that means a lot of different things.  I have found myself feeling more focused on doing things that need to be done.  For example, remember my fun last year of converting the empty bedroom into a spare room?  Well, I had my fish tank in that room, but my last two fish died and the tank has been sitting there.  It has been moved, cleaned and set back up in the den downstairs.  I feel this is a much better place for it, because I wanted it where I could see it and enjoy it, instead of having to make a deliberate detour into a mostly unused room to see it.

And you know what?  I think I am going to add a crib or mini crib to the spare room, so that Krysyn has a place to sleep when he visits grammy.  Right now, I am checking different local listings to see if someone has a gently used crib that works out for me.  If not, there is one I love on clearance at Target for $125.00.  That is a great price, I'm just considering that I would still need to get a mattress, a few sheets, a waterproof mattress pad, etc.  I'm not looking to turn the room into a complete nursery, but I think you guys know a bit about me by now.  I enjoy the planning process and I would like this too look nice.  I also don't want to go overboard.  I saw a beautiful crib on Facebook Marketplace in a nice area not too far from us, and she is offering the crib for $50.00 including the mattress.  She has indicated a few very small scratches.  I don't expect anything used to be perfect, but sure...I want it as close to new as I can get.  🙂  The clearance one at Target comes in 4 colors, so I have options with that too.  

Anyway, on Saturday we took a drive.  While we were originally looking to do some trail walking/hiking in Letchworth State Park, we had to postpone that because of the length of the drive.  We didn't have anyone to readily stop by and take care of our dogs this weekend.  We decided to just head out in that direction in general, and ended up in Seneca Falls.  

I think I may have mentioned previously that one of my lifelong loves is the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".  Many have stated that Bedford Falls is based on Seneca Falls.  They have a special weekend every winter that is devoted to the movie, but I've never gone to it.  It's a rough drive in our winters here but we will probably do that at some point.  It's a cute little town, but somewhat vacant these days.  On the way up, we stopped in Skaneateles at one of our favorite places for lunch, then found a n ice cream stand on the way back.

Yesterday, we went to lunch with my very pregnant daughter at the mall.  It was fun.  We stopped at her house to see how the nursery was taking shape as well, then headed home to watch the Red Sox game.  Later on we ordered the last Avengers movie, so it was fun.  

Today I'm catching up on laundry and lots of odd and ends.

I'm sure that play by play bored you all, lol.  I'm also considering when to move our cruise to.  We know that March is just not going to work out this year.  I think we are going to focus on a Boston trip in June that is not a long weekend.  Maybe 4-5 days during the week?  I would like to catch two baseball games this time, and try out the monster seats for one of them.  

Then for a cruise, I am looking at August through November to see what is available.  It seems like the options are more limited, but I have found a few good things. I'm going to get more info from my TA since the website is not always easy to navigate.  There are two Bermuda options where we can drive to the port that are 5 days, then another one that happens to sail right after Thanksgiving that has my attention.  I would have to re-check but I think all things are 5 days.  If we sail from Bayonne, I really need to add an extra day for exploring, and maybe I could meet Margaret!  Even if only a drink, it would be a blast.  Then Baltimore is great...I've been to the Inner Harbor area once a long time ago, and always wanted to go back.  Then with Florida, well...it's Florida!  R&R!

• Like 2

I asked my husband to send me his pictures from his phone.  He sent me the same few he sent me last time, lol.  

Well, I got mine from my phone and my camera together, at least! I still can't figure out how to do our pictodiary layout, so it means I'll type way too much and then add the photos at the end.

First, you will see a photo from the shower that I liked.  Then you will see my pedicure.  I love that color, it's great for my autumn clothes choices.   Then I'll post a photo or two of the outside of our hotel in Jersey City.  Other than the high cost of parking, I can't say enough good things about the location.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

20190802_203113.jpg

20190824_152631.jpg

• Like 2

Laurie , Why not just buy a porta crib .That way it will be out of the way when you do not use it . I bought one at Target that we used for all our grandchildren .I finally gave it to one of my friends who is going to be a grandmother .I also bought a cheap high chair and an umbrella stroller .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Laurie , Why not just buy a porta crib .That way it will be out of the way when you do not use it . I bought one at Target that we used for all our grandchildren .I finally gave it to one of my friends who is going to be a grandmother .I also bought a cheap high chair and an umbrella stroller .

We did the exact same thing Sally

Good morning!

We had a lobster chair (never knew they had a name!) for DS. That's all we used...never a high chair at home. They also have those sit on a chair high chair type things that clamp down onto a regular chair...but I suppose it depends on how your chair is shaped, if those would work.

We had a crib...and I must admit that in hind sight, I wish we'd never gotten one. We only truly used it for a handful of months. I don't think it was worth it at all. My SIL is doing the montessori method with her infant (December Bday) and has a low lying trundle bed under a twin day bed that she plans to pull out for when hers is 18 months? IDK...they use a bassinet or portacrib for the bed right now.

So I'm definitely in agreement with others here that say that a crib may not be worth it. The difficult thing with a crib too is that most are too large to go through standard doorways...so you have to take them apart to move them from room to room. A bassinet or portacrib is made to be moved around and that could be more handy.

We drove to Huntsville, AL (where family is) on Sunday. Traffic was light in Florida...and I was amazed by all the bucket trucks and other utility related trucks that were constantly in a caravan on the southbound side of I-75. Hundreds of trucks. Saw several trucks ready to move debris as well...carrying earthmovers...generators...all sorts of response headed south. And the cops were EVERYWHERE. It was awesome. We always see the Serve and Protect...but rarely have I seen a policing force used in such a way as I did in Florida. They were stationed at the service areas, the rest areas, and about every 10-20 miles along the median on the interstate. And the only ones that I saw on the side of the road were assisting vehicles towing trailers where one of the trailer wheels had gone flat.

Watching from afar...I'm in shock over what is happening in the Bahamas. Force of nature indeed. For anyone that is trying to get coverage of Dorian...this is my favorite site:

https://tropicaltidbits.com

The blog videos are outstanding for helping you to understand what is really going on. Also see the tools under the forecast tab with the ability to pick the hours for the different forecasting models. Really good info without any hype or drama. While I'm beyond grateful that it is looking like FL, and in particular, my home...will be spared from the worst of the storm itself...and it remains to be seen how close the storm gets and what effect that has...my heart is still hurting for those in my previous state home, NC, who may take the landfall hit. I keep praying that the storm will not actually hit land.

We've gotten to see my two SILs in AL. They live on the same street. We haven't seen them since two Christmases ago...so very nice. I've enjoyed the visit a lot...and it has been wonderful to have had the circumstances force the whole packing issue...we got it done in a matter of hours and DS was actually motivated to just do it. He can procrastinate...

DS has two of those big duffle bags we took to AK. The Tote-A-Ton by Samsonite. I have to recommend these bags again. Really outstanding bags. Anyway...one if filled with linens (towels, sheets, blankets, etc.), a clothes drying rack, and two pop up laundry things. The other has the vast majority of his clothing. One other checked bag has a fold out hanging area with his suit and two dress shirts. Shoes. Hangers. Toiletries. Computer keyboard. One carry on roller with electronics and a few books. DS has his laptop backpack for a personal item. Not too shabby. And an acoustic guitar in a case to carry on too.

DH and I fit our travel wardrobe mostly into one carry on sized but to be checked bag. DH has a backpack for a personal item. I have that big purple purse I took to London last time...and I have the Weekender Junior backpack that has hardly anything in it at all. I think it will get put to use when we go drop off all of DS' stuff in the dorm tomorrow...but we pack up a few things for him to stay a night or two with us in the hotel.

My SIL offered up a blazer that she ordered that she didn't end up liking...and I accepted. It's a black background...but the colors in it make it go with so many of my things. I actually was needing something exactly like this in terms of weight for London but I was making do with my purple rain coat. I have two outfits with my jeggings that will work with this jacket:

https://www.nyandcompany.com/soft-madie-blazer-paisley-7th-avenue/A-prod18050015/?An=102622&prodNo=20

The print is more contrasting than I would prefer...but it's a nice jacket. I guess SIL had bucks to spend and got a great deal on it...and it wasn't really worth it for her to return it. I will dressing it down...rolling up the sleeves. There's no buttons.

Funny to be sleeping in a big house. We visited Mom and Dad over Christmas and somehow that house didn't have quite the same feeling of dread that is accompanied by the thought of living in this neighborhood that my SILs do. I can report that DH and I are really done with typical suburbia with McMansions and LAWN...OMG SO. Much. LAWN. That's probably it...no lawn in AZ. 

We're heading out around noon. We lose an hour driving to GA. We're planning to get to the airport early. Early. Early. Security could be a real delay because of all the wires and electronic equipment. 

I did see that Orlando is finally shut down for real. All of today's flights are canceled...

We have high chair that I got cheap at a church sale, years ago, that folds up. We keep it in the coat closet until we need it, although all our "baby friends" are grown now.

Laurie, I really like those sandals.

Quick photo tip: after you choose all your pictures files and load them, you see them below by the paper clip, yes? To put one where you want in your post, place the blinking cursor where you want the picture to go. Then use your mouse arrow to go down the picture you want and click on it. It should go into the spot where your cursor is.

• Thanks 1

Anita, I'm glad you have been able to adjust your travel plans.that can be hard to do.  

I do think I will get a regular crib.  They still make portacribs, but in my experience, a regular crib offers more options.  The majority of them convert to toddler beds and I'm finding used cribs that are look new for less money.  I'm more than happy to take them apart, put them back together in the room.

There are playpens (they call them pack and play now) but I don't love those for sleeping.  My daughter has one she can bring with her when the time comes and we need one.

I haven't thought about high chairs yet.  There is a baby consignment store that we can look at when we are ready to shop for those.  I've never tried the kind that clip on to the table.  I'll have to check them out because I dont really want to try and find room for a high hair.  The crib is easy because when I moved the fish tank, I had this big, vacant area in the room.

Margaret, those are one of my favorite pairs of sandals.  I've had them for years and i got them on clearance at Bon Ton.  I think i paid $8 for them and they seem to go with so much.  I wasnt planning to bring them originally but i threw them on with my dress when we were leaving the house and i ended up wearing them a few times.

I'll have to try that with the photos.  It will flow so much better with the pictures in the right spot! 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, laurspag said:

Anita, I'm glad you have been able to adjust your travel plans.that can be hard to do.  

I do think I will get a regular crib.  They still make portacribs, but in my experience, a regular crib offers more options.  The majority of them convert to toddler beds and I'm finding used cribs that are look new for less money.  I'm more than happy to take them apart, put them back together in the room.

There are playpens (they call them pack and play now) but I don't love those for sleeping.  My daughter has one she can bring with her when the time comes and we need one.

I haven't thought about high chairs yet.  There is a baby consignment store that we can look at when we are ready to shop for those.  I've never tried the kind that clip on to the table.  I'll have to check them out because I dont really want to try and find room for a high hair.  The crib is easy because when I moved the fish tank, I had this big, vacant area in the room.

Margaret, those are one of my favorite pairs of sandals.  I've had them for years and i got them on clearance at Bon Ton.  I think i paid $8 for them and they seem to go with so much.  I wasnt planning to bring them originally but i threw them on with my dress when we were leaving the house and i ended up wearing them a few times.

I'll have to try that with the photos.  It will flow so much better with the pictures in the right spot! 

Laurie, if you’re going to get a regular crib make sure it isn’t one on a recall. There have been many recalls on cribs in recent years. The bars need to be quite close. That’s another reason cribs have become so expensive. Melody

And, I did my re-pack for Florida, which will  include more down time with family than my original plan.

My travel day starts at 9am: Navy pants, navy & turquoise top, my favorite lightweight yoga hoodie, tan Skechers:

632843992_2019-09-0516_47_28.thumb.jpg.a20ccdf3b18842e21e3c4dc47753b2e0.jpg

In my rolling  duffle:

Top row, l-r, swimsuits,  small cube with sox, smalls, and nightgown, and my D&B tan crossbody purse. Bottom row, workout pants, tan skort, blue shorts, medium cube with all my tops, and a string backpack for AK. In the cube I'm bringing one Pleione top that I can dress up a bit with jewelry and the navy pants, the black T is for Zumba, and far right is a sundress, which Laurie will recognize. 🙂

464977065_2019-09-0517_09_35.jpg.fe609a99fddba1dd36bc954f7c915cc9.jpg

In addition to Skechers, I'm bringing bronze flip flops, tan wedge sandals, and my Zumba sneakers. 

I packed a tan cap and I'll wear my sun hat. 

When I land I'm heading right to AK Lodge because they offer a free tour of Boma restaurant at 4pm that includes food tastings, and they feed the animals at 5 right off the lobby balcony for a great photo op. Dinner there at Sanaa, which is supposed to be awesome. Then check in at Coronado Springs Resort which has amazing deals for Sept and Oct considering how expensive the WDW properties are. Can't wait for Tuesday! !

• Like 2

Margaret, love your glasses-they look great on you.

Ahh the culinary tour at AK Lodge-loved it. We did it last year when we visited WDW with our son and DIL. They are WD fanatics. We let them arrange everything for us and we had an amazing time. I grew up in Anaheim and have lost count of the  number of times we visited DL  but I was totally unprepared for navigating WDW. Thank heavens we had our private “experts” to make sure we saw and did it all!  

Back go to the culinary tour, some asked for recipes for the various samplings  and they were happy to email them to us. We also ate  in Sanaa-food was amazing. There were 4 of us and we started with the bread service-sooo good but very filling. Some of the accompaniments were part of our culinary tour as were  some of the breads. Loved that we could see animals just outside the windows. I just know you will have an awesome time!

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

It seems like whenever hurricane season arrives, I find myself searching maps to see exactly where everyone is.  I am fortunate to be inland enough so that the only thing we get is maybe some extra rain.

Anita, I am sure with everything that is going on, responding is not something you can do until you return.  I was just thinking about how much later your son must be starting school.  At SU, the students returned two weeks ago.  I would imagine with your son starting later, he will finish later as well?  I am not familiar with schools for the fine arts so that aspect is quite new for me.

Margaret, you look all ready for your trip!  I really like your choices!  🙂  You are very good at bringing what you need, without overpacking.  I know it seems like I never rewear things, but I do...it's just that when I am on a cruise, the majority of time we are in the Caribbean and it is hot and muggy so I don't want to rewear things.  I do in other circumstances though.  

I like your glasses too.  I really wish I could find glasses I like on myself!  I hate my glasses!  Those look so nice on you.  

I found an older picture of glasses I used to have, and I am wondering if I should go back to that style.  I need to scan the photo because I can't find it on my hard drive.

Melody, I checked on the recalls for cribs first.  I too was concerned with all the recalls they have had.  

Have you seen the latest Athleta catalog?  I think I need to save up some money.  They have colors that appear to be perfect and we will likely never see them again.  I'm going to go check online since catalog colors can be off.

• Like 1

Margaret, love, love, love those glasses!  Have a fabulous trip, great packing job. We haven’t been to AK, I’ll look forward to pictures. 

Athleta, Chico’s, JJill all have some pretty amazing colors for fall. 

Two weeks till our cruise, we started our countdown at 635 days & now it’s 15!  Melody

• Like 1

Well, we’re all packed, leave in 9 days. I feel like a Sherpa. We’re bringing 4 suitcases!      ( that’s a first). The heaviest, however, is 23 lbs. the lightest is 18 lbs. we’re not taking our snorkel gear (Les still isn’t able to rotate the arm enough), so no snorkeling. Paddleboarding, or kayaking...it’ll be a different vacation for us. We’ll be 3 suitcases for our MardiGras cruise (one of the Hawaii bags is all stuff that’s only going to Hawaii), two if his arm gets better by February!  Melody

• Like 1

Sally,its been a weird summer for us too. Les is always on the go, & this shoulder biceps surgery has really curtailed his activity. Hopefully he’ll start feeling like himself again. Melody

Edited by awhfy

I finished packing for our trip yesterday and including snorkeling gear we have 1 large bag for the two of us, 1 small roller each, and one personal bag each (backpack/beach bag).  That's only for 6 days, but I'm pretty sure we took an extra large bag on our last 7 day.  If we weren't planning to work out during the cruise or snorkel on shore I think we could skip the large bag.