All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret...I'm so enjoying your trip report. I haven't been to Jamaica. It looks like it was quite fun! You look so relaxed in all your photos. That blue dress is divine! I think my fave photo might be the Nachi one...you and DH look fabulous and like you are just having a blast which is the best IMO. Having how much fun you were having captured in that photo is really special.

That catalog is pretty wonderful! The clothes are quite pricy but if I were to make an investment in a wardrobe staple, I think the cost per wear could get into a level of affordability, even if it was a high cost. I have been getting smaller with increased activity and I have been purchasing what I think of as quality staples and also trying to purchase more natural fabrics and I am very impressed with the fabrics and materials used by the Peruvian Collection. 

Laurie, those dresses are beautiful. That green is lovely and the texture of the ivory dress is very elegant. I love that textured solid! 

Melody...I hope your thumb is healing well. I am imaging that you are struggling a bit to keep from using your one hand...muscle memory is so powerful...without being super conscious of what you are doing, it would be so easy to just grab away. 

So my 50th birthday is this month. I recall reading in some article about Liv Tyler where she quoted someone (maybe Confucious?), that every one lives two lives...the first when they are born...the second when they realize that they have the one life to live. Whether or not reincarnation is real...the sentiment is real...and I feel like my "second life" has begun. And so...I have released myself to be able to do things that I "always wanted to do." And so...this happened on Feb 27:

584-A508-C-F8-FF-4741-B8-FA-0-E426-F1-A5

I usually go through a love hate relationship with my hair...and often have I dreamed of just shaving my hair all off. And so I did...and I LOVE it! I am so lucky that DH loves it too:

FC088042-99-A6-48-B9-BB50-507-FA686-EE1-

What I find is that having such little hair is quite freeing. I am just me. And I don't find myself worrying over my hair style or having to fuss with my hair, which I generally find to be more of a burden than a joy. It sounds ridiculous but I appreciate not having to really maintain my hair for a while and the ease with which I can do even simple silly things like washing my face before bed. And I am thoroughly enjoying the feeling that my appearance is finally reflecting the way I feel inside. I was concerned that I would look like a chemo patient or some other such negative connotation but I find that I am associating myself much more with GI Jane than anything else. DH calls it my post-apocalyptic bad@$$ chick look. So now I continue to work on getting the body that I associate with my hair.

Without having to manage my hair, I'm having more fun with makeup and clothes:

BE9-FEEE6-3439-44-B0-A455-3-F874-DE1-E89

I really like the Kosas cosmetics that I've purchased. The tinted oil is so light and yet does a nice job on my skin, with the added bonus of being full of nourishing ingredients. And I like the liquid eyeshadow and the tinted lip balm. 

21-AC5-FD3-1-F93-4-AFE-AAC2-43827-B91-E6

These are my latest pants. Columbia brand, they are more outdoor pants than anything fancy but I like them...and it's very gratifying to be down to a size 12 from a high of size 20! And fitting back into this shirt...I haven't been able to wear it for a long time...you know I love this green color!

My birthday celebration DH taking vacation time begins Thursday night March 17. Just a little over a week away! We're going to a weekend music festival in Tampa to see some of my favorite bands, Incubus and Lumineers, among many others. Back home for a day and then we leave for Fairbanks. for a long week. It'll be a whole different kind of wardrobe that I'll be taking to Alaska but I will share pictures...I'll be gathering everything together this week to pack.

• Like 2

Anita, you look great!  I understand your sentiments about life...I think that as we get older, we just become wiser.  We understand better what makes us happy, and we are so much less inclined to do the things that make us unhappy.  It is one of the reasons I have been so focused on planning out retirement.  While I feel like I am ready to step away from my job (I'll be there 39 years in August) I don't necessarily want to embark on a new job.  I want to enjoy things.  I have pretty much been working at my job, working at home, taking care of family, etc. since I was very young.  When I married the first time, I was a few weeks shy of my 19th birthday.  I

So that is another story altogether.  I can imagine that such a big change was a little scary at first.  It is very liberating when we do something that is truly just to please ourselves, and not someone else.

I have been rather giddy since Christmas Eve, hearing that my husband does not have cancer.  Both conditions are fairly under control now, but his arthritis is slowing him down a bit. They are working towards finding the right thing to keep it under control.  I mention this because embracing the good things in life is so, so, so important.

Best of all, you look so happy in your pictures. 

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I know that green dress is not necessarily earth, but I can usually wear that color fairly well.  I try to make the best choices I can for what feels good and looks good.  I love both of those dresses and can't wait to wear them.

• Like 1

Anita - I love the hair!  Think of it - you can do some cool dyes up there now - if you don't like it, wait a month and cut it out!!!   That cut calls out for bandanas, too.  Especially now since that scalp is fresh.  Maybe some spray sunblock up there would work.   And, I know about the weight loss.  I've lost around 50lbs +/- change of season.  It really is nice to be able to shop anywhere for pants!!!  I'm still an 16/18 on top (dang boobs), so my shirts are still carefully shopped for.  

• Like 1

Hi all!  We had 50 degree weather yesterday, with a winter storm warning starting at night.  So far it isn't bad.  We are a lull right now with the snow, so everything looks so fresh and white.  I understand we will get wind later and more snow until the warning is over tomorrow.  

We decided we were going to make this a fun weekend in kind of thing.  We watched basketball last night, and I'm making homemade pizza and chicken wing dip for dinner later.  We haven't decided if we are going to watch a movie or more basketball.  (it will likely be basketball!) Tomorrow I'm making corn beef.  We got out of the habit of making lunch on weekends, but we tend to do some snacks.  I have a few good things on hand: cheese, pepperoni, raspberries, strawberries and baby carrots.  That works.  I guess we do a version of a charcuterie? 

I'm working on laundry, but I have cruising on my brain so I am looking at possible outfits.

The first cruise is in May with my daughter, and it is a 4 night cruise.  Other than a maxi dress I am bringing, I; am not sure with the rest.  She has a black formal night dress she is set on.  I think I showed you a link of a similar dress before.  Her particular dress is being adjusted slightly, and is from Adrianna Pappell.  We purchased it when our local Bon Ton store was closing and it was on clearance.  This here is very much like her dress:

Calvin Klein High-Low A-Line Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

Considering there is only one formal night, and I think that shorter cruises aren't as dressy, it should be easy.  However,  I am trying to match the level of her dress.  It is very classy and elegant.  Not over the top formal, but she's like me sometimes...she likes a bit of drama with her clothes.  The high low feature does that.  

So what do I do?  She wants me to wear that green dress.  I planned to wear that in October, and I didn't want to wear the same dress two cruises in a row.  I'm waiting for a merlot/cranberry colored dress to come back from being adjusted as I would like to wear that, and I think we would look great together.  She likes the dress, and probably wouldn't care in the big picture of things.  But I also know she loves that green.  Here is the one that is being adjusted for me.  Her dress is satin, this is not but it is also full length.

Dessy Collection V-Neck Open-Back Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

You can just imagine the fun I'll have choosing a necklace, lol.  I think we will both look very true to our personalities, and will go together well in pictures.  So I am about 80% sure at this point.

We each have a very casual dress picked out, likely for the last night.  She is wearing a heathered gray knit dress. It is kind of a high low dress.  I'm wearing this maxi.  Please take a moment to look at at the fabric up close - it has a nice warm brown in it!   I have a few things from Lascana.  They are well made, run big, but  have a great vacation vibe.

Turquoise Multi Sleeveless Maxi Dress (lascana.com)

The other two days we are both figuring out.  We are doing my time dining, so we will likely be a bit choosier about what we wear, to make it special.  She will still have some classes sat that point, and she will take the classes on board in our room.  Formal night will likely be Tuesday, the second night.  I will wear that maxi and she will wear her gray dress the last night.  Her class is late, so we will go to dinner, she will take her class, and then we will go get a drink to celebrate our last night.  I that night three will be our specialty dining night.  

Once we figure it all out, I will post pictures!

i am also planning a bit for October.  The green formal night dress for sure.  It is so elegant on, and the shaping of the dress sort of gives me a waist, lol.  I feel so good in that dress.  Then, my husband's favorite for the other night:

Betsy & Adam B&A by Betsy and Adam Ruched Halter Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

I plan to bring the new ivory/champagne dress.  Anita, I wanted to point out to you, and you will see from the pictures, that is has a sheer overlay with sequins.  The dress has a pattern, so for me, that means simple jewelry.  The neck isn't deep, and while I tried a string of pearls, I decided it did nothing for the dress.  So I will wear earrings and a bracelet that are pearl based.  Even my sandals, which I have had for about three years, are the same color overall.

20220312_112026_resized.thumb.jpg.b511f56298a95f670dfedad8b8dbda32.jpg

20220312_112050_resized.thumb.jpg.ca8681d10d0981804e95f64b6453800a.jpg

While it is probably irrelevant, all of these are items I purchased really inexpensively.  The above dress, which is no longer available, was about $40.00.  My husband's favorite long dress is regularly $119.00 or something like that, but I paid $70.00.

So I feel good about the purchases.

20220312_112249_resized.jpg

How would you accessorize the last dress?  It's one shoulder, so I doubt I would do a necklace.  It can be dressed up or down a bit, so it may depend on how I feel.  I also bring it up a notch for specialty dining, as I treat it more like either a date night or special night out.  I have a sparkly bracelet that comes to mind, but not sure what to do if I want to tone it down a bit.

AX Paris One Shoulder Crochet Top Midi Dress & Reviews - Dresses - Juniors - Macy's (macys.com)

20220312_112537_resized.jpg

Edited by laurspag
typos

Slidergirl, a while back, Anita told us about this thing...I think it was called Kibbe?  I love learning to understand myself and my style better.  Sometimes, I can't figure out why I like something, then don't end up liking it on, for example.  

Kibbe was a quiz based thing, and the decision was that I was a classic dramatic.  Sometimes, when I have that in the back of my mind, it makes it easy to see how  will feel about an item after the initial infatuation dies down.  Another quiz was Style Statement.  That came back as harmony and elegance.

So I have a lot of fun with things, but when I start to check those boxes, I feel so at home with what I choose.  

Back to what you are saying, I have a few sparkly bracelets that are bigger that make a statement.  I'll take a few pictures.  If I don't want the jewelry to feel more formal, I will look and see what I have before I start shopping around.  I have a lot of jewelry that I have collected over time.  It is costume jewelry, but it is a staple of my wardrobe.  Most of the time, I go with a solid color, simple lines and then use jewelry to really make it feel like me.  And red...I love red.

I wear mostly gold or antique metallics, but with my hair going gray, I am finding that colors look different on me now.  i am still experimenting a bit.

Formal dresses and gym clothes are two things that are hard to find in earth tones, so I generally just avoid the worst colors and keep an open mind with the rest.

Laurie, look at Chicos, they have a cappuccino 3 strand Pearl like necklace that would look fabulous with that cream dress (they have a matching 2 strand bracelet as well

Melody, that may work.  It also reminded me to take another look at what I have.  I grabbed that bracelet because it goes well with the ivory/champagne, but there are definitely other options.

Slidergirl, I was just looking at a bracelet that I thought would go good with the merlot dress, but I'm not sure I like the style with the dress due to the late overlay at the top.  I'm definitely going to look a bit!

• Like 1

My feeling is that the pumps are more career than dressy.  And I always prefer sandals on a cruise because they feel more vacation-y. If it were me I'd  go with either the lightest casual sandal or one of the two on the left in your dressy shoe photo. Then you have a lot of jewelry options because those all read neutral to me.

Agree with slidergirl on the statement bracelet(s), with some drop earrings. And rings. 🙂

• Like 1

That is pretty much the way I think too.  I decided a while ago that if something could ve worn to work, it didn't belong on vacation.

I'm likely to go with one of the two pairs of gold sandals.  Sometimes, I have to try on the whole outfit to really decide.  My Anne Klein sadly, top right, need to be replaced at some point.  They are my go to for everything! I can definitely get more time out of them though.

Such a fun conversation today! I will absolutely differ to Margaret on the shoe selection...but as for idea that if it can be worn to work...it doesn't belong on vacation...I'm in total agreement. 

So fun to see how everyone would accessorize the merlot dress. If I were wearing it, I think that I would avoid a necklace, the neckline is statement enough. I like the idea of balancing out the shoulder situation by having something on the wrist of the sleeveless arm. I might explore the idea of wearing two different earrings. Something dripping or a larger hoop in the sleeveless side...and perhaps a smaller hoop or a stud like earring on the sleeved side. I would test that idea anyway.

That seems to be my process. I gather all the options together and then make a decision on what should come along...so with that in mind...I have photographed this evening's gathering of possibilities for Fairbanks. These are not ALL the options...just what I gathered today. I'll be gathering more options as the laundry gets done...and also clean a few things that were pictured.

Here we go.

First off...kitty Grace is on the top left under the flaming beanie, which belongs to DH. We'll begin with the boots. The first are black with white lining...snow boots, serious for snow and other outdoors activities. Then what they called Brown Plum winter boot, more appropriate for town or more indoor activities (museums, distilleries, dinners, etc). Puffy gray hooded down-filled jacket. Heavy fleeced lined knit type jacket. Three patterned fleece jackets...the camo patterned one doesn't have pockets, but the other two have zippered pockets. 

7-AC59-B3-E-97-DB-48-C1-9-F4-D-035-A99-A

Now the next column beginning with the brown plum boots..."normal" slim fit leggings in burgundy & tan plaid on dirty black and plum...they are tight enough to look good tucked into the winter boots without being too tight to have a thin leggings base layer underneath, if needed. More top selections are 1. gray wind breaker, 2. purple plaid hooded flannel long-sleeved button up, 3. two 1/4 zip Smartwool midweight tops in purple/pink stripes and smoky teal, 4. navy lightweight turtleneck base layer.

D925-E963-3136-40-D6-BDD7-60-F7833-E2792

The next column gets a bit difficult to discern because the top two items are black and blend into each other. Two pairs of black merino wool leggings. The heaviest is a 400+ weight Minus33 brand legging, then a 300+ weight Stella by Woolx. Then a green pair of 200+ weight McKenna by Woolx. Then a very lightweight black REI brand synthetic, which is what fits under my "streetwear" pants.

Then I have 3 vests: Gray fuzzy, lined fleece, Green thin quilted nylon, Gray midweight Smartwool.

CCC53-E81-7-C5-B-4-CDE-B219-B0-F0-AAA2-B

At the top of the next two columns are my mustard brown snow bibs. The brown/gray striped fuzzy looking thing is a sweater knit loose necked poncho. Four knit beanies...dusty coral, navy/turquoise, gold with metallic CC brand, fuscia with furry poof. Two ear warmers...green/white patterned fleece and gray knit with decorative furry circle. Gloves: black silk liners, black windbreaker, black fleece, fuscia fleece, and lavender insulated mittens with pockets for hand warmers.

Back to the almost top, the next column is two scarves...warm purple+ patterned lightweight knit and muted rainbow cashmere. Two hats...both purchased on our previous visit to Alaska in June/July 2018...Purple/black/fish patterned fleece with insulated parts and fuscia/green fleece ballcap. Lastly two buffs...a major warm insulated LONG burgundy with fleece lining and smaller brighter purple fleece

From a different view:

983-A9-BD4-9-EAA-49-A7-89-E3-55-C826-CE9

Ugh...didn't really capture the two pairs of Darn Tough socks...a midweight and an expedition weight OTC (over the calf) merino wool.

I have more to collect...and you can see how there is overlap in function here, so I will be pairing down some things...but this is the beginning of the collection for consideration.

• Like 1

Laurie...I want to say that I think your dresses are all such great choices. They look like you to me. That black high low dress you DD wants to wear is lovely. I had a high low dress similar to that, knee to floor. Mine was a strapless red high low. The sleeveless would be so much easier for foundation garments. Likewise, your patterned vacation-y maxi is similar. 

Sharon, Melody, Laurie, Kat...thank you for such positive feedback on my new hairstyle! I'm so happy with it...and as you can see...I have a lot of hats...I have so many more LOL...my sunhat collection is insane...speaking of, need to be sure to bring sunglasses to Fairbanks! This hair is so much easier to wear hats with! I plan to keep it through the summer and when I decide to grow it out, or let it get longer, I that that is when I would play with fun, unnatural colors on at least the tips. Meanwhile, I am very conscious of sunprotection...and am usually wearing a hat and have yet to experiment with bandana or other such head coverings.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

Laurie, I agree with Margaret, sandals

Anita, love all your choices (kind of looks like my normal wardrobe!!). I live in leggings (love Woolx) & vests especially this year. 

I pulled out my cruise clothes, I’ll get pictures today (hopefully). 24 days!!!  Melody

These are the two outfits Im taking for Elegant Chic night (Celebrity’s former formal nights)

the cobalt blue dress (didn’t photograph well)has an attached lace/sequin poncho, I’ll wear a Diamond heart pendant with it. The jacket & pants are vintage (25 years old) Chicos (when they still made raw silk)  with a WHBM sequin tank. My dilemma is which necklace to wear. #1&2 are same necklace just fastened differently. #3&4 are same necklace shown at different fastenings. Both are Chicos (cappuccino Pearl) or my Diamond heart (not shown). I’ll wear nude wedge sandals with both. 

any ideas which to wear?? The cappuccino pearls were on sale at Chicos. One with tassel was $11 & one with coins was $18. Here’s the necklaces separately Melody

445B6F27-F4EF-4576-A4DB-59672A0F9860.jpeg

A48E4897-8B59-4EF4-B00C-7C10E9AA42BE.jpeg

458D3023-2E64-4837-8F41-92D6F9BAFD06.jpeg

178985A9-CA98-46AC-80A8-2B7523D5A070.jpeg

85CCF9E9-4348-479E-9812-6403843C2F0A.jpeg

D8502F3B-6F02-4B47-9522-623339798F64.jpeg

27CC8F7B-47EA-4318-953B-BD78306D90C2.jpeg

5BC2E70D-EAB1-413B-B30D-D8967A9F8246.jpeg

Edited by awhfy