Which ship would you choose of these?

Future planning... I know we all have different needs etc, but as an inexperienced cruiser I am curious -

Let's say hypothetically the itineraries are the same (they are all NZ cruises, bar one that is top end Australia) and even the prices, and forgetting any loyalty programs for a moment - based on ship experience alone, which would you choose, and why?

Radiance of the Seas

Celebrity Solstice

HAL ms Maasdam

Legend of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Sun Princess

Looking tentatively at January 2017!

Solstice by a wide margin. Been on all but the seas ones. Check em out on the REVIEWs top of page. Also see photos here. Solstice a stunning ship.Other 3 old ships with few ammenities, so so food.

Edited by zoncom

Future planning... I know we all have different needs etc, but as an inexperienced cruiser I am curious -

Let's say hypothetically the itineraries are the same (they are all NZ cruises, bar one that is top end Australia) and even the prices, and forgetting any loyalty programs for a moment - based on ship experience alone, which would you choose, and why?

Radiance of the Seas

Celebrity Solstice

HAL ms Maasdam

Legend of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Sun Princess

I would recommend you put some personal details like age and traveling with or without kids.

I would recommend you put some personal details like age and traveling with or without kids.

Myself (40) and my 16 year old daughter. We've only been on one cruise before, which I won, so I don't yet really know what I like or want, since I really just loved all of it! :) The ocean, the endless food, the shows, the amazing cabin stewards...

My daughter was the same, loved every minute.

I'd like to try, I guess a more "upmarket" ship.. though I had no issues with Carnival, it really was a "fun ship", but just for variety and wondering what other ships are like. At the same time I don't want it to be stuffy (too formal), or too sedate.

Solstice by a wide margin. Been on all but the seas ones. Check em out on the REVIEWs top of page. Also see photos here. Solstice a stunning ship.Other 3 old ships with few ammenities, so so food.

Thank you, I saw the Solstice on an episode of Mighty Ships, and it looked very nice!

I have only cruised the Solstice out of that list but it is my favourite ship and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again even at greater cost. I have cruised RCI (Voyager and Explorer) and also Princess (Diamond and Caribbean). Good luck.:D

Radiance of the Seas

Celebrity Solstice

HAL ms Maasdam

Legend of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Sun Princess

I would go with the legend of the Seas first because there is more for your daughter to do . Then the Solstice. The best is compare the shipboard features that your daughter would be interested in.

I think it really depends on what your daughter likes. At 16 I wouldn't consider them wanting to go to kids club, most kids that age want to sit around with other kids their age and chat. Some however, want to do the adult activities like trivia and such while others will just veg out by the pool or in the cabin and watch films and read. Solstice doesn't have any slides or such but does have good activities and free movies on the tv in the cabin as well as pay for view.:D

Really need to see the itineraries. Cause why most NZ cruises are similar they not all the same.

Other thing to keep in mind is RCL and Celebrity all in US dollars. Princess Australia ships operate in AUD too.

Edited by icat2000

If you are looking at school holidays there will probably be a good number of children on most. Although we cruised at Easter a couple of years ago on Solstice and there were not many children onboard. But we did love the ship.

We are taking all the family on a cruise in early December and have booked Voyager. Mainly because of the activities provided for the grandkids and dining options for their parents (while we babysit no doubt!).

Radiance is supposedly going in for its 5 year check up and spruce up this year. We have always found it a very friendly ship.

HAL perhaps cater for an older age group. The smaller Princesses don't compare to some of the other ships available but the larger ones are very nice.

Just personal opinions only but any cruise is a good one.

I know lots of posters love Princess but I didn't think Dawn P was anything special. It has been refurbished I hear but things like the low ceilings and dead end corridors can't be altered. Also -do those 2 Princess ships have anytime dining? That might be more convenient for the OP and her daughter.

Solstice is the pick for me, but I was travelling as an adult with DH only. Legend OTS doesn't have the ice rink that Voyager class ships have. What about Explorer OTS - it does the NZ cruises as well?

I think HAL may have an older demographic so maybe not the best choice.

Then again, being on a ship is always preferable to being stuck at home!

Have been on Dawn, and Equinox (same as Solstice) and Liberty of the Seas (big sister to Radiance and Legend). No decision needed. Solstice. If with a 16 year old I would not go HAL.

Edited by Pushka

Myself (40) and my 16 year old daughter

so you're the same demographic as me.

My first choice would be a Grand class ship with Princess - ie the Emerald. But that's not on your list, so assuming itinerary's are not a factor here, I would choose Celebrity Solstice or Radiance OTS. Celebrity Solstice for me, but having a 16yo maybe leaning towards Radiance (Radiance is about 30% bigger and 6 years younger than Legend.... - have a look on the Royal Caribbean web site to compare both ships features).

I don't think HAL would be the way to go with a 16yo, and I think the Princess sun class ships (the princess ones on your list) are a bit on the small side for me (I''m 40) and a 16 year old.

all highly subjective of course..

No anytime dining on Sun or Dawn. But the Sun does that International Cafe. Is the Golden doing NZ cruise. That ship has Anytime dining. Or as another poster suggested Emerald Princess. Both of those ships will operate in AUD too.

Edited by icat2000

Thanks all for your thoughts! These are the ships available for my (if approved) leave for January. I could add Emerald Princess although it only does South NZ, up to Wellington I think, but the ship does look very nice.

I was even half thinking, depending on my leave (and $!) Solstice to Auckland, a night in Auckland, and a four night cruise on Dawn back to Sydney. Why fly home when you can cruise?!

My daughter didn't use kids club on our last cruise, though I've encouraged her to give it a go, at least on the first night, for our upcoming cruise. She enjoyed watching the ocean go by on a deck chair with a mocktail, the shows, the MDR, and even Bingo :). And of course the port stops. We've been to NZ before on a land trip (although she was 7!) and she is keen to go back. I don't think she even used the water slides on Carnival, now that I think about it.

I'll cross HAL off the list. Slightly leaning towards Solstice, Emerald or Radiance... decisions, decisions!! And yes, any cruise is better than staying home!! :)

Thanks all for your thoughts! These are the ships available for my (if approved) leave for January. I could add Emerald Princess although it only does South NZ, up to Wellington I think, but the ship does look very nice.

I was even half thinking, depending on my leave (and $!) Solstice to Auckland, a night in Auckland, and a four night cruise on Dawn back to Sydney. Why fly home when you can cruise?!

My daughter didn't use kids club on our last cruise, though I've encouraged her to give it a go, at least on the first night, for our upcoming cruise. She enjoyed watching the ocean go by on a deck chair with a mocktail, the shows, the MDR, and even Bingo :). And of course the port stops. We've been to NZ before on a land trip (although she was 7!) and she is keen to go back. I don't think she even used the water slides on Carnival, now that I think about it.

I'll cross HAL off the list. Slightly leaning towards Solstice, Emerald or Radiance... decisions, decisions!! And yes, any cruise is better than staying home!! :)

That Silstice/Dawn combo sounds good.

Hi there,

SOLSTICE, SOLSTICE, SOLSTICE!!! :D:D:D

We've (DH & I) just come off the Legend of the Seas on Thursday last, the 18th. To say we're underwhelmed would be close....... Only due to the age of the ship primarily, lots of rust visible, but also the decor inside was very dated - our cabin was slightly foward from midships, and sitting on our balcony we could feel vibrations all the time. Food so-so but staff wondrous. Enclosed pool great with adults only (under 16's) loungers. Drinks expensive when prices converted to Oz dollars - $11 plus for a glass of Pinot Grigio - around $12 plus for any spirit!

We did a part-circumnavigation of Oz in February last year on Solstice - a magic ship - Sushi free and freshly made at 6pm at the buffet upstairs, Eggs Benedict while you wait at breakfast (buffet too), the glass show upstairs a couple of times a day, Boche on the grass upstairs, absolutely lovely decor and fab glass lifts! :)

We've booked on it again for March next year. (Let's hope weather ok as we're going to Fiji). :eek:

Good luck with your choices, but I think your daughter and your good self would have lots of fun together on Solstice.

Kind regards,

ratacake

No anytime dining on Sun or Dawn. But the Sun does that International Cafe. Is the Golden doing NZ cruise. That ship has Anytime dining. Or as another poster suggested Emerald Princess. Both of those ships will operate in AUD too.

I would still go Solstice first but the Emerald and Golden Princesses would come in second.