American Cruise Lines

SteelMagnolia9

I decided to start a thread for discussion of upcoming American Cruise Lines (ACL) river and coastal cruises.

I'm going on ACL's Historic South & Golden Isles cruise, April 23rd-30th, Charleston to Jacksonville. This will be my third cruise with ACL, the first was New Orleans-Memphis aboard the Queen of the Mississippi in October 2014 and my second cruise was on the Queen of the West in October 2015.

If you have an upcoming ACL cruise, feel free to post here. I've found it's a unique way to see the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...

As ACL has itineraries limited to the U.S., they must be U.S. flagged and hire U.S. workers. The prices are higher to account for this. Once you take your first cruise, there is a very nice discount they offer if you book onboard for a future cruise. They occasionally offer an early booking discount or an included hotel room the night before the cruise. You need to call them to get a quote for a specific cruise. It's a fun way to see the U.S.

I know these cruises do not fit every budget.

• 6 months later...

I did a quick review of the prices and they appear to be about $1000 per cabin per day. Is this price about what you end up paying? Viking is about $600 per day and that includes wine, wifi and excursions. Based on a few reviews no one is singing the praises of service or food.

Am I missing something?

I did a quick review of the prices and they appear to be about $1000 per cabin per day. Is this price about what you end up paying? Viking is about $600 per day and that includes wine, wifi and excursions. Based on a few reviews no one is singing the praises of service or food.

Am I missing something?

Price is pretty close and it includes liquor, wine, sodas, snacks, coffee, wifi and the best part is less passengers.

Mike:)

Hi Steel Magnolia, I've been on the cruise from Charleston to Jacksonville- a couple of years ago. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I particularly liked Savannah. The best part about going on a small ship is that you make many friendships. I hated leaving the people I had become close to. I'll be going on the Hudson River cruise in 10 days- the 22nd of October. Is anyone else going on that one?

• 1 month later...

We are booked on America for the round-trip New Orleans leaving 11 March 2017 and returning 18 March 2017. If this cruise offers what we are expecting, we are looking forward to doing the Full Mississippi in August or September, of next year.

NRayH

• 3 months later...

We are booked on America for the round-trip New Orleans leaving 11 March 2017 and returning 18 March 2017. If this cruise offers what we are expecting, we are looking forward to doing the Full Mississippi in August or September, of next year.

NRayH

Does anyone else read this thread???

NRayH

You bet! We are looking forward to hearing about your Mississippi cruise. Our New England Islands cruise is still almost 6 mos away.

Let me know if they offer you $1500 to book a future cruise while onboard.

Bob Voyage!

Likewise we are booked on ACL for Oct.2 to do the Upper Mississippi from St. Louis to St. Paul, MN. Then we'll explore the MN area before returning a week later. This will be our first American river cruise, but we have done 3 other river cruises and really enjoyed them. We have been to all fifty of our states in leisurely travel driving across our great country eight different times-so this will be from a different perspective. Our first choice would have been to do a themed 50's-60's ACL cruise, but those were all in the summer and would have been too hot for us; so we decided to do a foliage one, as the weather then will be much more to our liking.

Likewise we are booked on ACL for Oct.2 to do the Upper Mississippi from St. Louis to St. Paul, MN. Then we'll explore the MN area before returning a week later. This will be our first American river cruise, but we have done 3 other river cruises and really enjoyed them. We have been to all fifty of our states in leisurely travel driving across our great country eight different times-so this will be from a different perspective. Our first choice would have been to do a themed 50's-60's ACL cruise, but those were all in the summer and would have been too hot for us; so we decided to do a foliage one, as the weather then will be much more to our liking.

This is my third attempt to respond this morning ???

I do not know what is going on with Cruise Critic, from this end.

NRayH

This is my third attempt to respond this morning ???

I do not know what is going on with Cruise Critic, from this end.

NRayH

Hmmm, that is interesting. New postings have not been going through, but the response did.

Thanks for joining in with reviving this thread.

After well over 100 ocean cruises and two European rive cruises, we have been favorably impressed with the level of pre-cruise support and assistance offered by American Cruise Lines. we have received a number of mailings (snail and e-mail) offering assistance and information. we even received a "Welcome Aboard" e-mail from the boat's Hotel Director.

We leave in a couple of days and then will spend some "post-cruise" time in New Orleans. I will "try" to send some up-dates from the boat (but no promises here). After we return home I will put together our impressions of the cruise.

NRayH

Hmmm, that is interesting. New postings have not been going through, but the response did.

Thanks for joining in with reviving this thread.

After well over 100 ocean cruises and two European rive cruises, we have been favorably impressed with the level of pre-cruise support and assistance offered by American Cruise Lines. we have received a number of mailings (snail and e-mail) offering assistance and information. we even received a "Welcome Aboard" e-mail from the boat's Hotel Director.

We leave in a couple of days and then will spend some "post-cruise" time in New Orleans. I will "try" to send some up-dates from the boat (but no promises here). After we return home I will put together our impressions of the cruise.

NRayH

Hi Ray,

We're looking for a nice place to stay one or two nights in NO after our trip this summer. Please let me know if you enjoyed your stay, and if so, share where that was!

Julian

I am new to posting here. Came looking for information on American Cruise lines and came across this thread. We are traveling with American Cruise lines from Charleston to Jacksonville in April. Any recommendations for a good place to eat in Charleston?

I love reading everyone's reviews and plan to write one myself when we return? We have been on 15 Ocean cruises and cruised last year with Viking from Amsterdam to Budapest. Which I highly recommend! I know from reviews this will be different and am l looking forward to experiencing American hospitality.

I am new to posting here. Came looking for information on American Cruise lines and came across this thread. We are traveling with American Cruise lines from Charleston to Jacksonville in April. Any recommendations for a good place to eat in Charleston?

I love reading everyone's reviews and plan to write one myself when we return? We have been on 15 Ocean cruises and cruised last year with Viking from Amsterdam to Budapest. Which I highly recommend! I know from reviews this will be different and am l looking forward to experiencing American hospitality.

We did that cruise last March and loved it!

We had a really good dinner while in Charleston at https://magnoliascharleston.com. Be sure and call for reservations as they fill up early on.

For lunch or more casual fare we had some good meals at http://www.homcharleston.com

Please come back and let us know how you enjoyed your cruise.

I am envious of your cruise. Savannah was a great port as the ship docked right next to all the action on River St.

There's over 700 restaurants in the Charleston area but we love to go over the river (north) to Shem's Creek. Several great eateries in that spot. A J Hymans in town itself is good. Have fun,

Julian

Wow, we went on the Viking ship Gefjong from Budapest to Amserdam last summer and had a great, great cruise. Hoping this one with ACL will compare!

I thank you both for your replies! I will look into the recommendations you have made.

I will definitely write a review after the cruise. I seems like there is not much information for River cruises in America. Especially in the south.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thank you both for your replies! I will look into the recommendations you have made.

I will definitely write a review after the cruise. I seems like there is not much information for River cruises in America. Especially in the south.

Maybe, we can all help change the "no information available" situation, by posting our experiences when we return.

NRayH

Ray in NH!

I think that is a wonderful idea! I certainly will do just that. While it is not something I would have given much thought to in the past. I now find I like being more informed. We have missed out on many an experience from not planning ahead. With the help of Cruise Critics and sites like Trip advisors, having first hand knowledge helps when making decisions from excursions, dinners, hotels, and yes sometimes cruise locations.