Fantasy vs. Magic

smheese

I've been on Magic before and we are debating with another family which itinerary we will travel together next year. They are pushing for the Fantasy one. Tell me is there anything about Fantasy (other than a bigger size) that makes it better? Is there a bigger or better pool? More restaurants? More activities or a bigger kids club?

I've been on Magic before and we are debating with another family which itinerary we will travel together next year. They are pushing for the Fantasy one. Tell me is there anything about Fantasy (other than a bigger size) that makes it better? Is there a bigger or better pool? More restaurants? More activities or a bigger kids club?

The pools are not bigger/better. In fact, I feel the pool area onboard the Fantasy is less desirable than the Magic. Both the Mickey and Donald pools are in the same space on the Fantasy (unlike the Goofy and Mickey pool areas being separate on the Magic). The adult pool on the Magic is larger/better than the one on the Fantasy (in my opinion).

Same number of dining rooms. Plus Palo and Remy (additional adult-only venues)

Kid's club is a larger space (well, the ship is larger), but there are also more kids onboard.

We had done the Dream and Fantasy in recent years and just got off the Magic 11 days ago.

My daughter did comment that she like the clubs better on the Dream/Fantasy. The biggest difference I felt between the clubs was the absence of the magic play floor on the Magic.

There are more activities on the Fantasy - mini golf, Misdship Detective Agency, bigger sports deck, etc.

Pool area will be a disaster on both ships on sea days. No way around it.

As mentioned, only extra restaurant is Remy. However, the regular rotation restaurants on the Fantasy are better IMO. Animator's on Fantasy has the better shows, and Enchanted Garden is really nice. Royal Court is okay. The quick-serve locations on the Fantasy are all in one place, where they are separated on the Magic.

I felt the Magic was fine for the 4-night cruise that we did. For a 7-night, we would much prefer the Fantasy.

Having done both, I prefer the Magic. This is largely based on the behavior of large numbers of children--on the Magic there are fewer kids total (there are fewer cabins), and they were better parented. On my Fantasy experiences, there were large numbers of school age kids creating a mess at I Scream, walking thru adult only pool area, etc. I also prefer the smaller, more intimate feel of the Magic.

A minor point, but the Magic has a small adult library bookshelf which the Fantasy did not have when we last cruised her.

If your cruise stops at Castaway Cay, it will be MUCH less crowded if you arrive on the Magic. Same facilities, but roughly 1500 fewer guests!

Edited by moki'smommy

We were on the Fantasy in the Caribbean and the Magic in Norway. While I usually prefer ships the size of the Magic, for me the Fantasy is my preferred ship of the two. There are just more things to do like the Midship Detective and the mini-golf, although it is much easier to get around on the Magic.

You have a great set of recommendations on the differences between the Magic and Fantasy described above. We have also sailed both. Talk with the other family about what has been described above and what you all feel is important about the ships.

Our recommendation is to try the Fantasy since you have not done so yet. What ever your chose, we hope you have a wonderful and magical cruise!

Would appreciate you coming back and letting us know what you think.

smheese,

Have sailed on both in each of the last two years. See my reviews below. Comes down to personal preference as amenities are virtually the same with a few exceptions.

Magic (2015)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161780

Fantasy (2016)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2319511

Happy Sailing.

We have a preference for the Magic mostly because of the smaller size and everything that goes along with that, but I wouldn't hesitate to book the Fantasy again. I would go with whichever is doing the itinerary and sailing date that works best for your group.