Westerdam SB 5190/5191 or SB 7142/7151?

richarduk

Hello,

I'd like your views of the pros and cons of choosing between either SB 5190/5191 or SB 7142/7151.

We like balcony space and privacy, so obviously the 5th deck springs to mind, but I'm sure there are more pros and cons to that.

We also are not bothered whether the Neptune Lounge is near or not.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hello,

I'd like your views of the pros and cons of choosing between either SB 5190/5191 or SB 7142/7151.

We like balcony space and privacy, so obviously the 5th deck springs to mind, but I'm sure there are more pros and cons to that.

Thanks,

Richard.

Deck 5 pros: Fully covered, largest aft wraps staterooms and verandahs, quicker Room Service delivery (closer to the galley), best for faster access to Dining Venues (EXCEPT the Lido)

Deck 5 cons: further from the Neptune Lounge.

Deck 7 Pros: It's an aft wrap!!

Deck 7 cons: It ain't Deck 5:D Smaller stateroom and verandah (though I've seen it mentioned somewhere here on CC that Deck 7 aft wraps have the largest aft wrap interior space, but I cannot swear on that.

Joanie

Hello,

Thanks,

Richard.

I recently had to make the same decision, and ended up going against popular opinion and choosing 7151 for the Med. in 2017.:)

When I was choosing our cabin on the Westerdam, I looked at all the pictures I could find on-line. I decided I didn't like the "industrial" look of the large balcony roof on Westerdam's Deck 5, and I thought the cabin might be too dark. We had 5191 on the Noordam, which has a different aft configuration than her sisters. We LOVED that cabin, including the partially covered balcony. Westerdam's aft corner suites on Deck 7 looked to be the most like 5191 on the Noordam, so that's what I went with.

I only have a year plus to obsess and agonize over my decision!:rolleyes:

Edited by Cindy

Love 5190 on the Vista ships! Great balcony, especially good if you are hosting a party as it can hold 40+ people!

Have to take elevator to NL vs deck 7 aft-wrap only negative I see, but no big deal IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently had to make the same decision, and ended up going against popular opinion and choosing 7151 for the Med. in 2017.:)

When I was choosing our cabin on the Westerdam, I looked at all the pictures I could find on-line. I decided I didn't like the "industrial" look of the large balcony roof on Westerdam's Deck 5, and I thought the cabin might be too dark. We had 5191 on the Noordam, which has a different aft configuration than her sisters. We LOVED that cabin, including the partially covered balcony. Westerdam's aft corner suites on Deck 7 looked to be the most like 5191 on the Noordam, so that's what I went with.

Well, well, well...that didn't last long! A week ago I was docked in Cartagena with the Westerdam, and I had an opportunity to take a good look at the balcony of 5191 with its covering. It didn't appear closed in at all, which was one of the things I was afraid of.

A quick e-mail to my TA, and I'm now in 5191 instead of 7151.:o

Well, well, well...that didn't last long! A week ago I was docked in Cartagena with the Westerdam, and I had an opportunity to take a good look at the balcony of 5191 with its covering. It didn't appear closed in at all, which was one of the things I was afraid of.

A quick e-mail to my TA, and I'm now in 5191 instead of 7151.:o

Kudos on grabbing one of the best staterooms in the HAL fleet. The verandah table is 42-in diameter and fits a 70-inch round table cloth if your are inclined to bring one. Don't forget the LED tea lights for a nice dinner ambiance on your verandah.

If you like to use the Neptune Lounge (conveniently) then Deck 7 is the call. If you want a big balcony, then Deck 5 is the way to go.

We don't like to be more than one or two cabins from the Neptune Lounge - directly across if possible - but that's just us. If you want big balcony real estate, then go to the corners on 5. A couple of years ago, those were SC. Their popularity has promoted them to SB.

Hello,

Thanks,

Richard.

We've stayed in 5191 on the Z'dam and 5190 on the Oo'dam (twins to the Westerdam) in the last 2 years. You can't get a more private veranda. You have probably 3 times the space under roof compared to others.

I agree with you Cindy, we stayed on Deck 5 in an aft wrap, and we felt like we were in a warehouse. On our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam in May, only an aft wrap on Deck 5 was open, so we reluctantly booked that cabin. Soon afterward, an aft wrap became available on Deck 6 and we switched to that deck. A month later, a Pinnacle Suite opened up and we again switched cabins. If we were on Deck 7, I'm not sure we'd have switched, as outside of Deck 5, the verandahs on that Deck 7 are much bigger, and trotting down to the Neptune is much easier.

We only use room service maybe once a cruise, so the extra ten seconds on the elevator ride for the dining staff won't make that much of a difference.

I know this is a little off point but on our first HAL cruise on Westerdam (Alaska) last year we were 'upgraded' to 5102 (VA vs. VC originally booked). I did this against my better judgement without researching the cabins when the upgrade was offered (Holland was very generous in offering cabin upgrade and OBC when fare dropped after final payment). Anyway, when my wife and I entered the room we were crestfallen. The overhang created a dark cabin and the lifeboats were plainly visible from the balcony. "Great I thought, our first trip to Alaska and we will be viewing from a cave". I did not think it was possible and I have never done it before but we went to Guest Services and they were able to locate us in a cabin higher up near bow. This I believe was a lower category cabin but we were elated (I was so desperate to change cabins that I would have and offered to pay for a suite or whatever it took to change). I know this sounds extreme but to us the charm of a balcony is having a clear and relatively open view of the sea.

Anyway we liked HAL very much despite being confirmed X and Princess cruisers.

We are looking at Jan Carib cruises on HAL and are waiting (hopefully) for a drink package promotion to occur before booking. (Our last X cruises on Reflection were excellent but are looking to change things up a bit).

We are excited to try one of the 'newer' ships in the HAL fleet.

• 4 months later...

We were actually booked in 7142 for a cruise this November to Mexico, but decided to switch to 5190 based on the reviews and photos. So glad it was still available! The privacy factor and the overall size of the balcony sold me. We will probably be out there the whole cruise! I know the Neptune Lounge is two floors up so probably won't use it as much if we were closer but we'll see. :cool:

Deck 5 pros: Fully covered, largest aft wraps staterooms and verandahs, quicker Room Service delivery (closer to the galley), best for faster access to Dining Venues (EXCEPT the Lido)

Deck 5 cons: further from the Neptune Lounge.

Deck 7 Pros: It's an aft wrap!!

Deck 7 cons: It ain't Deck 5:D Smaller stateroom and verandah (though I've seen it mentioned somewhere here on CC that Deck 7 aft wraps have the largest aft wrap interior space, but I cannot swear on that.

Joanie

(underscore is mine)

"Our" cabin on a vista is 7142. The balcony is big enough, and I like the partial cover. DH likes the same-deck walk to the Neptune Lounge. Our first corner aft, about 5 years ago was deck 8. The first time we had the deck 7 corner aft, I thought it was smaller than the deck 8 corner. But I don't have good pictures to make a clear comparison. Anyway, they're all good!

We were actually booked in 7142 for a cruise this November to Mexico, but decided to switch to 5190 based on the reviews and photos. So glad it was still available! The privacy factor and the overall size of the balcony sold me. We will probably be out there the whole cruise! I know the Neptune Lounge is two floors up so probably won't use it as much if we were closer but we'll see. :cool:

Congrats!! 5190 is our favorite stateroom on any Vista Class ship. You will really enjoy the fully-covered verandah. FWIW the verandah table is 42" diameter and accepts a round 70" table cloth to make eating on the verandah a bit classier.

We will be in 5190 to Mexico November 2017.

Edited by Crew News

We had 5190 on Zuiderdam for Alaska for our anniversary cruise and we still dream of that balcony. It was amazing. It had plenty of relaxation furniture, a 4 person table, and was completely covered. We got seriously spoiled!:D

I chose 7151 for a med cruise in Aug. 2017 as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you Cindy, we stayed on Deck 5 in an aft wrap, and we felt like we were in a warehouse. On our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam in May, only an aft wrap on Deck 5 was open, so we reluctantly booked that cabin. Soon afterward, an aft wrap became available on Deck 6 and we switched to that deck. A month later, a Pinnacle Suite opened up and we again switched cabins. If we were on Deck 7, I'm not sure we'd have switched, as outside of Deck 5, the verandahs on that Deck 7 are much bigger, and trotting down to the Neptune is much easier.

We only use room service maybe once a cruise, so the extra ten seconds on the elevator ride for the dining staff won't make that much of a difference.

Hi Ken!! You know we love our Deck 5 aft cabins :-). We have 5190 for Oct 18 11 night Mexico cruise from Vancouver. If you have a chance shoot me an email at my address below- have a question (lost all my email addresses on a computer crash). Take care and we need to get together on a blue hulled ship soon!

We've booked 5190 on "the beautiful, elegant Westerdam" (;)) TA cruise in October of '17. The walk to the NL will be good for us and it'll be nice to hopefully host a sail away with CC friends, not to mention the nice days and evenings we expect to enjoy wonderfully prepared meals outdoors.

Edited by 0bnxshs

• 4 years later...

I'm going through this same decision right now and looks like I'm leaning towards 5190. It's a scenic itinerary and I think we'll spend a lot of time on the balcony.  To those of you who had these Neptune aft suites, are the cabins large enough inside for 3 people? Looks like the sofa bed is awful close to the regular bed from the pictures I've seen.

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

4 years later........

Yes, 4 years later and the issue is still the same as to cabin selection. 

Besides, getting insight from those who already made the decision will be quite helpful!  

3 hours ago, lsfla said:

I'm going through this same decision right now and looks like I'm leaning towards 5190. It's a scenic itinerary and I think we'll spend a lot of time on the balcony.  To those of you who had these Neptune aft suites, are the cabins large enough inside for 3 people? Looks like the sofa bed is awful close to the regular bed from the pictures I've seen.

We had cabin 5191 for a Southbound Alaska cruise with 3 of us in the room.  It was fine for us in the room ( my son never complained about the sofa bed) and the veranda was fabulous. We moved the coffee table to give us more space to maneuver in the room. I would book this room again in a heartbeat 

Here are a few pictures from the room and veranda. The room pictures are before we moved the coffee table....

05B4DB9B-3A92-4A34-97CD-5347847260EE.jpeg

2107DF06-1310-4FA2-9C9C-5191D2A89E0F.jpeg

77C133B8-15D4-4A78-9E84-CC6F56E42A58.jpeg

A8ADFB57-4240-4BE3-9525-7E751D3F0D14.jpeg

EA35C64A-7831-4AE3-81D9-68DB41B0628E.jpeg

3FD79593-C9D9-465C-AEBD-0D497C290AAE.jpeg

82DC2333-30FE-4083-9315-8913A857394F.jpeg