Tour Tobago

Giantfan13

We just returned from our day in Tobago from our Carnival cruise.

Let's not mince words here, this island has a long way to go if it wants to be a genuine cruise port. They simply are not ready for a major cruise influction.

We didn't have anything booked, so we departed the ship and were approached to do a 2 hour taxi tour of the island for $60. We agreed. They had more expensive tours that took you further into the island but we just wanted to get a general knowledge of this place and see what was happening.

Our driver was very quiet (but after a while, we got him talking away). He gave us the basic info, stopped at several places. One such place was a fort, sort of on the top of a cliff. There would have been some excellent views if not for an over abundance of weeds, vines and unappealing trees. I sort of told our driver if they want people to appreciate the beauty of this area they should get a weed whacker and a chain saw and make it more appealing. He took out a little pad and wrote it down. :):):)

The island seemed very poor, with most homes as shacks, goats and animals all over the place. There might be a lot of potential here, but as of now, it is not a spot I would want to go back to.

Just a word. We originally had a snorkeling/beach tour booked with Wayne, which we cancelled as we really don't do beaches very well. On the ship, I spoke with a couple of people who did do that tour and they said it was one of the worst tours they had ever been on. The beaches were filthy and they couldn't wait to leave. That is 3rd party speak, but we heard it from 2 separate couples.

Our taxi driver told us only 3 ships dock there in a week and this was 'high' season. Again, they have a lot of work to do if they want to continue to remain a cruise port.

Cheers

Len

• 3 weeks later...

had a very similar experience - and enjoyed it. Would have liked to done a beach as part of our tour, but rain/weather that day didn't allow. Our cab driver was fun, I guess that made it better. Think it's all about what you're looking for, everyone will have a different preference. I liked seeing the more rustic island, a nice change vs. very some commercialized, hard sell tourist spots. MMV.

Yes it needs more amenities and drivers, tour operators need better training to show the island for what it is. You're right, it has a ways to go - and I'd happily go back to see how it's going. FWIW.