Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Enjoying your photos....but especially appreciate this photo showing the logistics of how to get in and out of the boat.....

Was it as easy as it looks....are there steps down in the water....or was there a struggle getting up on the first step....??

When you reached the motu....any problems stepping up onto the dock...??

Thanks....it looks like it was a fun excursion....:)

It was pretty easy to me (and remember I am a one armed bandit). When we boarded the boats were docked, so we just stepped into them.

For swimming and snorkelling there is a ladder that is put in the water and you climb up and down.

To get to the motu (where the feast is), the boat cannot come right to the shore. It is brought in very close and the ladder is put down and you climb down and wade in the water to the beach. The water is not deep, not even to my waist in most parts and Kazu is not a tall person.

It's not a tour for someone with severe mobility issues of course that needs a scooter or wheelchair, but we had one person on our canoe who uses a cane for balance and he managed just fine (and went snorkelling).

You can also stay on the boat if you want, but you don't want to stay on at lunch time. LOL.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have pearls coming outbidding ears and necks and wrists!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are laden down with pearls :)

It was so nice to have sun today. Of course, we have to be grateful for what we had while we had it. The skies opened and the rain just poured down in a tumult. Of course, DH and I were caught in it. It's a pretty grey day here now. Hoping it will clear up for gigianne's nuptials otherwise they will be in the Crow's Nest.

Papeete is just gorgeous. The flowers are incredible and so many flower leis, head bands and the flowers at the market were just fantastic.

I confess Kazu did buy some flowers, but this time they were not for herself. More on that later.

You could tell the ship was desperate for stores, supplies and fuel. Bunkering started very early in the morning as did the supply stocking and it was still going on until at least 2:30 p.m. Today. By then the bunkering was done but the supplies were still being loaded!!

Dinner tonight in the Pinnacle Grill after gigianne's nuptials and then it is going to be a really difficult decision. The ship is bringing aboard local entertainers (and it sounds very good) and there are the famous "food trucks" to check out. Hmm, can we do both? I think we can!

Ship doesn't sail until midnight so all should be possible. We have an early day in Moorea tomorrow but that is on the assumption we can tender in and, since our private tour is now a no go, we will most likely look for something on the dock.

We can always catch up on our sleep on our sea days.

Well, Kazu had better go and get tidied up - Having been drenched is not a good look for the PG nor the nuptials.

They were in all the mailboxes last night Ann.

I think it was a proactive move by the captain.

All the guests got one from what I could see.

Here's the letter for you...

4637633d3052a391068b51b497addda2.jpg

And the terms and conditions on the reverse.

78c8357438716baa4b06f5404a5166f3.jpg

Feel free to download it to your iPad. It applies to everyone on board.

If the pics are not clear enough, I can do another and email it to you if you need it.

AND THE SUN IS OUT!!!! HURRAH!!!!!

It was great seeing the sun out in Papeete this morning! What a welcome change! Really glad that Betty & I made it off the ship for a nice long stroll along the water + some shopping for kids / grandkids in the beautiful weather! Made it back on board before the sky darkened & opened up with more rain.

Really hoping the FCC described in Captain's nice memo you posted will apply to our "new booking" just made onboard a few days ago! :)

Hi Everyone:

Just wondering if this is a normal weather pattern this time of year for the areas you're visiting? Cher

Not to my knowledge Cher.

It is the end of the rainy season in some areas, but that means rain showers with sunny skies, not the torrential stuff we have been getting.

There are two storm fronts - one with a cyclone that we seem to be caught between.

It's one of the reasons that the Captain changed the itinerary.

One roll call member has done Bora Bora 5 times at this time of the year and has never seen weather like this.

I don't think there would have been the reimbursement there was if this was the norm.

We really liked Gigianne and DH's vow renewal ceremony , in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest. Kainoa did everything very well, and I know a lot of photos and videos were taken, unfortunately I was charging my camera, so will have to rely on what the others took.

Later this evening I think we will go to the Tahitian show on board, and then go ashore for a bit to check out the "roulottes" ( food trucks). It will be a busy night and our tour tomorrow has been changed from 8 a.m. to 7 a.m, as we will be leaving Mo'orea earlier than originally planned.

I mean out of. Not outbidding.

Gotta love spellchecker!

Do you know if our Nuka Hiva tour is still on with our later arrival time? If so what time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We really liked Gigianne and DH's vow renewal ceremony , in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest. Kainoa did everything very well, and I know a lot of photos and videos were taken, unfortunately I was charging my camera, so will have to rely on what the others took.

Later this evening I think we will go to the Tahitian show on board, and then go ashore for a bit to check out the "roulottes" ( food trucks). It will be a busy night and our tour tomorrow has been changed from 8 a.m. to 7 a.m, as we will be leaving Mo'orea earlier than originally planned.

It was a very nice ceremony indeed.

I was recording for Gigianne on my camera so I will have to steal DH's memory card for the pics.

Remember those flowers that I bought earlier? They were for Gigianne & her DH's ceremony.

I knew it was a Hawaiian theme and they were dressing Hawaiian (suitable since our minister was Hawaiian and was doing a Hawaiian ceremony)

So I got a bouquet for the bride...

ff61d6a5864494ac4e830bb8dc6bd365.jpg

And the head bands for her and her DH

21eb2c5d8c8edeba8bbb877d52bc9280.jpg

I had checked with Kainoa to make sure it was appropriate ;)

Gigianne got another bouquet too - I believe it was Sherifa that brought it. We both had gotten vases from the florist so gigianne's room will be abloom for the rest of the cruise hopefully!!!!!

We closed the ceremony with a dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.

And then a visit to the food trucks. A lot of the crew were having Chow Men (not a typo - it was how it was spelled) at one of the food trucks. It was an amazing sight. The pier really comes alive at night with children playing, people talking and eating tons of good food.

A great way to savour the flavour of Papeete and a great end to the evening and the 49th celebration and vow renewal.

Happy 49th Georgina & Gerry!!!!

We have pearls coming outbidding ears and necks and wrists!!!

I am happy to report that Kazu got Tahitian pearls today in Papeete. I found a lovely wholesale/retail store that would even set the chosen pearls for you. I believe a couple of other roll call members (at least) have made purchases - 1 in Bora Bora and the other on board from Kainoa, our On Location guide. His aunt has a Pearl store and her is selling them on board. I may be visiting him on sea days. LOL.

>snip<

Yay! Any chance of pictures? :)

And those flowers are gorgeous, Kazu!

It was pretty easy to me (and remember I am a one armed bandit). When we boarded the boats were docked, so we just stepped into them.

For swimming and snorkelling there is a ladder that is put in the water and you climb up and down.

To get to the motu (where the feast is), the boat cannot come right to the shore. It is brought in very close and the ladder is put down and you climb down and wade in the water to the beach. The water is not deep, not even to my waist in most parts and Kazu is not a tall person.

It's not a tour for someone with severe mobility issues of course that needs a scooter or wheelchair, but we had one person on our canoe who uses a cane for balance and he managed just fine (and went snorkelling).

You can also stay on the boat if you want, but you don't want to stay on at lunch time. LOL.

Hope this helps.

Perfect.....thanks.....:)

Hope you all are having a wonderful time today in Moorea. I think it was one of the highlights of the trip December 2013 when it was very HOT and sunny and we visited a Motu.

Hope Georgina tied the knot very tight so Gerry will not get very far - haha. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Peter and Harry

Edited by SFO PETER

Gotta love spellchecker!

Do you know if our Nuka Hiva tour is still on with our later arrival time? If so what time?

Oops! I looked again and I see the Nuku Hiva times are the same.

I have a couple of pics on my camera. ...so, here are the happy couple with their "best man". LOL.

634ff05f544eaf0206c1b06f192ef584.jpg

The lovely couple..

796ea98ac1a2aa0622ea17c8f7975acc.jpg

Our minister - Kainoa

c6aaae0965ebda827da7add806bf9397.jpg

af35aaaecab2bc8def2ce742e8cfb1d2.jpg

Oops! I looked again and I see the Nuku Hiva times are the same.

LOL you had me double checking as I have a private tour booked in Nuka Hiva too!!!! :) :)

For anyone interested, here is our itinerary change.

ad9c5e35c932f944a75e0cd96b74f50d.jpg

Backtracking a bit to Bora Bora...

We had decided some time ago we were going to go to the infamous Bloody Mary's. The day was not promising, but afraid that once the sun came out (if it did) that there would be a mad rush for the tenders, 6 of us headed out to do a bit of exploring and then head to Bloody Mary's.

This is our view of Bora Bora earlier that day (and would become the view later). Gives you an idea of how dismal it was..

71c09ec6c1205845c04e392bde3a6fc4.jpg

Once we arrived at our tender dock, we were greeted with song...

6b97c2025841fdd6eef8f8b2eda6c0ab.jpg

This was just too beautiful not to take a pic of!!

2e7476fbe1d822b6c2429c4a6ed3c8fb.jpg

The shuttle to Bloody Mary's is $5 each way. They go often (more often than they say it seems) and you get a little tour along the way.

Here is the menu from Bloody Mary's. I had to take this with my camera so I hope it works well enough for you.

81afb8894f335f552e9a2b1640eecd07.jpg

9db69905943c650c6a7897698814e65f.jpg

Hi Everyone:

Just wondering if this is a normal weather pattern this time of year for the areas you're visiting? Cher

It really isn't. Always a shower or two possible, like in Hawaii, and Nuka Hiva is a wet place often, but this is unusual.

There is a tropical storm/cyclone south west of this area and it is not helping with the weather!

Of course, you HAD to have a Bloody Mary at Bloody Mary's - LOL

1cd21693051a30c77e3db77deb3d5fe4.jpg

And, of course, we all had to have a bite.

DH and I had their version of the Reuben sandwich which is with Mahi Mahi. It was quite good!!!

8a141e1e4509a1a931af91e661fbd989.jpg

Everyone seemed to enjoy their food.

f5afe3f5903aab7f5e043f0f6bb70887.jpg

f88af45d201342e17d89e8328ea5259f.jpg

12aa49b77a67dc91cc4bf84bb9f06e58.jpg

Sorry, uploads are not working now, so I will be back later with more.

We have arrived in Moorea ad the waters look calm for tendering.

The sun is out although I do see dark clouds so it will probably be like yesterday.

BUT, Kudos to the captain for changing the itinerary. If it meant we got a few hours of nice weather in these two ports and could successfully enter the bay, it's all good.

Moorea awaits...

Hi Everyone:

We heard one couple at lunch telling their tablemates they have been coming here for 20 years and have never before seen bad weather like we've had for much of the South Pacific portion of this cruise.

Moorea looks pretty this morning with mixed sunshine and some clouds. Hoping for a mostly fair weather day much like most of yesterday in Papeete. :)

Glad to see the many pictures that Kazu, Gigianne and others have been posting. Thanks for sharing! :)

Hope you all are having a wonderful time today in Moorea. I think it was one of the highlights of the trip December 2013 when it was very HOT and sunny and we visited a Motu.

Hope Georgina tied the knot very tight so Gerry will not get very far - haha. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Peter and Harry

Thanks Peter & Harry,

Hopefully the sun stays with us for a bit. (It's clouding over already)