Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

The ever increasing popularity of river cruising

xmaser,

the voice of criticism - or realism - is certainly welcome by me on this thread and I am sure by others as well. I never meant to glorify expansion. Just having given the reality of the expansion a positive note, I would say. Reading that article I thought "oh look, first mention of possible saturation". I myself - I think it has come across in the past - am not fond of the rapid expansion of Viking and the somewhat aggressive marketing. Being in Europe it is easier for me to ignore the company and its unfavourable - in EU-citizen's eyes - payment policy. I have no reason to criticize their product itself.

pinotlover,

interesting addition - uncertainty in a supposedly stable democracy. By the way - on a less serious note - I am sure the people in Nord-Pas-de-Calais on the French coast facing Britain will be happy to receive more visitors. They suffer from an even worse image than France as such, even the French think it is a downright awful place :classic_wink: which is the basis for a very popular film that highlights these prejudices. "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis" was even a hit in Germany, due to its excellent dubbing which very well got the message across. I like "Le Nord" although it is a bit flat, I know a sweet little restaurant with excellent food in the middle of nowhere... I am somewhat glad the area is inaccessible by river cruise and not well known by land trippers.

Back to the article: I found it interesting to note that of the big companies interviewed Viking is missing. Instead the relatively unknown Luftner is given a voice. Unusual, even if they talk about the UK.

notamermaid

Well we will see first hand from Easter Monday as we start our  Soane and Rhône river cruise with Scenic. France is supposed to host more visitors than any other country on earth you would think they would be more happy about the influx of the foreign dollar etc.  But things are  in just a we bit in flux at the moment so therefore some are wary and the holidays that appear to be on the more expensive side will be the first to suffer and they are river cruises. Happy cruising CA

An additional deterrent to US travelers starting in 2020 will be the Visa required of US travelers to enter the EU. The US government insists it is not a Visa. However if it looks, feels, sounds, …. like a Visa why not call it that. I am aware that this requirement is the result of the current US administration's tightening restrictions on travel from the EU to the US.

48 minutes ago, xmaser said:

An additional deterrent to US travelers starting in 2020 will be the Visa required of US travelers to enter the EU. The US government insists it is not a Visa. However if it looks, feels, sounds, …. like a Visa why not call it that. I am aware that this requirement is the result of the current US administration's tightening restrictions on travel from the EU to the US.

Maybe that is part of it, but there are 60 countries whose nationals will have to apply for an ETIAS. It isn't a visa;  it is a pre-approval to enter the Schengen Zone. By the way, it doesn't begin until 2021.

I among I'm sure many others look forward to your explanation of the difference between a Visa and an ETIAS other than the name. Please share your understanding.

During the ITB in Berlin and shortly after it was announcement time, for new ships and new cruise itineraries. CroisiEurope joined in and this is the headline, this time from seatrade cruise news, in March: http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/croisieurope-to-launch-new-itineraries-and-debut-a-new-ship-in-2020.html

notamermaid