St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Appreciate the links and various postings about Guernsey on this thread. Very helpful. We are doing an 11-day sailing from Lisbon to Rouen in mid June. Lots of great port stops and opportunities to explore exciting parts of Bordeaux, Brittany, Spain, etc. Plus, nice time potentials before the cruise in Lisbon and later in France.

Fortunately, I used the search function on this board and discovered a number of postings. Initially was not sure whether the France or British board would be correct for this island location. BUT, it is UK territory, so it makes since to be located here. Hopefully others will share more. Look forward to any and all tips, ideas, suggestions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,639 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...
Can you go into a little more detail about the walk...this is something we would enjoy for part of the day.

http://www.guernseywalker.me.uk/East%20and%20south.html

We did R2 and R1 (R1 we did backwards). The walks are fairly well marked and you can't really get lost as you are walking along the coast.

You can take a cab to the Jerbourgh Hotel or bus 81. We took the bus, it costs 1€. The bus starts about 15 minute walk from the tender drop off.

Here is the bus info:

http://buses.gg/journey_planner_results?leaving=St+Peter+Port&going=Jerbourg+Hotel&leave%5B0%5D=5&leave%5B1%5D=4&leave%5B2%5D=11&leave%5B3%5D=00&submit=Ok%2C+plan+my+trip&optionx=0

Macaroni, are you still planning on this walk? Some of us from my family group would like to do this, weather permitting of course!

KirkNC, we also want to visit the German Occupation museum first, plan on taking the bus there, this will be our first stop. Any tips on how we could get to the starting point of the walk after the museum, do we just take the bus again? We'd like to have some time in St Peter Port after the walk to potter around and take in the sights.

Thanks in advance, our cruise isn't so far away now Macaroni:)

• 1 month later...

The local tourist board have announced some upcoming events:

1) Heritage Festival 8th April 2017 to 10th May 2017

2) Spring Walking Festival 20th May 2017 to 4th June 2017

There are also guided walks around St Peter Port everyday from 10:30am, with extra's on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at 2:30pm, from the Tourist Information Centre. These last approx. 1.5 hours and cost GBP8pp.

There are also guided coastal walks every Saturday afternoon at 2:30pm for approx. 2 hours, cost GBP8pp in different locations:-

1st Saturday - Pembroke

2nd Saturday - L'Eree

3rd Saturday - Jerbourg

4th Saturday - Pleinmont

5th Saturday - Vazon (April, July & September)

All walks are carried out by either Gold or Silver accredited guides, and I would recommend these as a brief insight to some areas of the island. I have tried to attach links of the brochures for the two festivals, however for some reason this is not working. All details of the daily events (not just walks) can be access through the local tourist website, www.visitguernsey.com

I hope you all enjoy your visit to St Peter Port, Guernsey whenever this happens to be.:):)

Edited by Guernseycruiser

Macaroni, are you still planning on this walk? Some of us from my family group would like to do this, weather permitting of course!

KirkNC, we also want to visit the German Occupation museum first, plan on taking the bus there, this will be our first stop. Any tips on how we could get to the starting point of the walk after the museum, do we just take the bus again? We'd like to have some time in St Peter Port after the walk to potter around and take in the sights.

Thanks in advance, our cruise isn't so far away now Macaroni:)

Prish...yes, looking at several walks...something along the cliffs...yes, weather permitting...seems so long ago that we all started planning...and now it is almost here...

The local tourist board have announced some upcoming events:

1) Heritage Festival 8th April 2017 to 10th May 2017

2) Spring Walking Festival 20th May 2017 to 4th June 2017

There are also guided walks around St Peter Port everyday from 10:30am, with extra's on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at 2:30pm, from the Tourist Information Centre. These last approx. 1.5 hours and cost GBP8pp.

There are also guided coastal walks every Saturday afternoon at 2:30pm for approx. 2 hours, cost GBP8pp in different locations:-

1st Saturday - Pembroke

2nd Saturday - L'Eree

3rd Saturday - Jerbourg

4th Saturday - Pleinmont

5th Saturday - Vazon (April, July & September)

All walks are carried out by either Gold or Silver accredited guides, and I would recommend these as a brief insight to some areas of the island. I have tried to attach links of the brochures for the two festivals, however for some reason this is not working. All details of the daily events (not just walks) can be access through the local tourist website, www.visitguernsey.com

I hope you all enjoy your visit to St Peter Port, Guernsey whenever this happens to be.:):)

We will return to lovely Guernsey for the second time on May 20, 2018. Will we be lucky to arrive during the Spring Walk Festival 2018? (yn):ship:;):D

thank you,

Catherine

Edited by edgewoman04
missing information

Here are some of the resources that I've been using to plan our day in St. Peter Port. Thought I would share and maybe save someone some time and/or work.

Websites:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/st-peter-port

http://www.visitguernsey.com/cruise-visitors

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g551622-St_Peter_Port_Guernsey_Channel_Islands-Vacations.html

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=547

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Guernsey/Saint_Peter_Port-733193/TravelGuide-Saint_Peter_Port.html

http://www.chriscruises.com/2013/09/ten-things-to-do-in-st-peter-port-guernsey-channel-islands/

Maps:

http://www.mapquest.com/great-britain/st-peter-port-282409004

http://www.guernseyharbours.gov.gg/article/103073/Maps-of-St-Peter-Port-Harbour

Self-guiding walks of St. Peter Port:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/tasty-walks

I found the maps and audio (that you can download to your smart phone and play as you walk) very useful. Tasty Walk 2 is the one that I'm most focused on for this port.

Very cool virtual tour of St. Peter Port:

http://www.destination360.com/europe/uk/guernsey-saint-peter-port/virtual-tour

There's a youtube channel by a gentleman named Vic who has done all sorts of vids of St. Peter Port. He's fond of boats and tends to talk a lot but he does provide some information. Below is his youtube on Cornet Castle

GOrmbENIT3s

For a broader look at the island of Guernsey this is a pretty good vid:

umLE6rt09GY

Thank you for all your hard work in compiling this great trove of information and your generous spirit in sharing it with us. :D:D:D

Catherine

We will return to lovely Guernsey for the second time on May 20, 2018. Will we be lucky to arrive during the Spring Walk Festival 2018? (yn):ship:;):D

thank you,

Catherine

As the tourist board have only just released dates for the 2017 Spring Festival, I am unsure about 2018, however it has proved very popular over the last few years and hence I would not be surprised if there was some sort of walking festival taking place at the same time next year. There are daily walks around St Peter Port, and if there was a particular walk you were interested in, it might be worth contacting the guide now just to show your interest and see what happens. Please feel free to post a question again about any walking festivals any time from early March 2018, and I will let you know if the tourist board have announced anything at that time.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Guernsey, and come back again in the future.

• 11 months later...
As the tourist board have only just released dates for the 2017 Spring Festival, I am unsure about 2018,

Is there any news on 2018 yet? The Prinsendam will be there on May 20th 2018.

Is there any news on 2018 yet? The Prinsendam will be there on May 20th 2018.

Hi

If you search on the website http://www.guernseyguidedtours.com, walking festival dates, and then click on the preview, it shows the times, guides and names of the tours. There are a few on 20th late morning and early afternoon. To contact the guides for more information, their telephone numbers are listed or you can click on accredited guides at the top, and then click on their name for email addresses etc.

I hope this helps.

Guernseycruiser

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you arriving in St Peter Port Guernsey between 30th March and 10th May, there is a Heritage Festival going on. There are many walks and activities on offer. Below is the link to the tourist website where you can download a brochure.

https://www.visitguernsey.com/2018-heritage-festival

For those of you arriving in St Peter Port Guernsey between 30th March and 10th May, there is a Heritage Festival going on. There are many walks and activities on offer. Below is the link to the tourist website where you can download a brochure.

https://www.visitguernsey.com/2018-heritage-festival

Thanks for posting. We’re on the Sapphire Princess, due to visit on 6 May. There’s lots going on - looks brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

We are considering a cruise which will visit St Peter Port Guernsey, and spoke to a very helpful guide, Amanda Johns. Before contacting her, I checked on the "Guernsey Guide" website, and she is fully accredited. She has provided us with a great deal of helpful information, and we are following her on her Facebook page Tours of Guernsey as she is visiting many of the places of interest that we are considering, and posting photo's each week. She also has a website which details more information. www.toursofguernsey.com

Edited by peyroutous

• 3 months later...

My husband, daughter, and I recently took a guided tour around Guernsey with Amanda Johns. She was most knowledgeable and accommodating to meet our needs. She is a native to Guernsey so knows the history and sights well. Great personality too! Arranging the tour was a pleasure too as she was very efficient in corresponding to set it all up. We highly recommend her and her services.

• 3 weeks later...

My family (Grandparents, mom and dad and two boys 18/15) had a great day in Guernsey with our fantastic tour guide Amanda Johns. Amanda and I corresponded well before the cruise and she helped me reserve a six passenger vehicle and driver named Andy (Car was very clean and Andy was a true professional) to get us around the island as she explained the history beginning with the beautiful port and continuing to the little chapel and everywhere in between.

Amanda worked with us to set up an itinerary that met everyone's interests and got us to all the places we wanted to visit. She also adjusted our meeting time so that we were sure to stay ahead of the tour buses that clutter up the smaller sites. We visited the Occupation Museum, the Underground Hospital site, the sites from the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society novel, little chapel and several other sites.

I would strongly recommend Amanda and toursofguernsey.com to anyone visiting the island, she is top notch!

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book, and wish to see the film, it was released on Netflix in the US on 10th August 2018. It will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray in the UK on 27th August 2018. Whilst not an exact version of the book, it is well worth watching.

Once you have read the book or seen the film, why not choose a cruise where the itinerary includes a stop in St Peter Port, Guernsey so that you can explore the places mentioned in person, and see many other beautiful attractions. Not that I am biased of course ;););)

My wife and I have booked a British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess for next August. We are looking forward to visiting St Peter Port.

I have been reading various reviews and threads about this port. Some say it's a tender port and others say they docked at a pier near the Tourist Bureau.

I think I read an article here on Cruise Critic that says there is a new pier where the ships now dock.

So which is it? Docking or tendering?

My wife and I have booked a British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess for next August. We are looking forward to visiting St Peter Port.

I have been reading various reviews and threads about this port. Some say it's a tender port and others say they docked at a pier near the Tourist Bureau.

I think I read an article here on Cruise Critic that says there is a new pier where the ships now dock.

So which is it? Docking or tendering?

Hi

Unfortunately no new pier in St Peter Port, Guernsey. The smallest of ships such as the 50 passenger Hebredian Princess can dock in the harbour, however nearly all the cruise ships including the Crown Princess are too large and passengers have to tender in. Whatever you choose to do on your visit, have a fantastic day, and if you have any questions, feel free to post and I will do my best to help.

Hi

Unfortunately no new pier in St Peter Port, Guernsey. The smallest of ships such as the 50 passenger Hebredian Princess can dock in the harbour, however nearly all the cruise ships including the Crown Princess are too large and passengers have to tender in. Whatever you choose to do on your visit, have a fantastic day, and if you have any questions, feel free to post and I will do my best to help.

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. We don't mind tendering but we're hoping the ship could dock.

I hope the weather is agreeable the day we are there. I've read the port is sometimes missed.

I have a few questions but will have to post them later. Thanks for your offer to help answer them. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Some of our experiences from the Princess Cruise:

Cobh/Cork - Train from Cobh to Cork is right at Cobh port, and an easy ride to Cork.

Dublin - Princess shulttle was $16.00 per person. Cityscape (Yellow) hoho bus does not have live narration, only recorded narration.

There is a free shuttle from the port to Belfast.

We took a taxi from the port to Greenock train station, and then the train to Glasgow.

Invergordon/Inverness - we had a taxi tour. Make sure you tell the driver where you want to go. Our driver took us to a distillery which we didn’t need to see.

Edinburgh - the X99 tourist bus goes directly from the tender port to the city.

Le Havre - we had a taxi transfer to Honfleur. It took about 30 minutes. As others have noted, if you like classical music, the Satie Museum is well worth a visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Rocklinmom - Have you read the book as well?

To anyone who is due to visit Guernsey between 15th and 30th September 2018, there is an autumn walking festival whereby you can join a walk lead by an accredited guide (most of which are just GBP8pp)

https://www.visitguernsey.com/event/autumn-walking-festival

If you don't wish to download the brochure, I have a paper copy here. If you post the date that you are due to visit, I will reply with details of all the walks available on that day.