St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Some of our experiences from the Princess Cruise:

Cobh/Cork - Train from Cobh to Cork is right at Cobh port, and an easy ride to Cork.

Dublin - Princess shulttle was $16.00 per person. Cityscape (Yellow) hoho bus does not have live narration, only recorded narration.

There is a free shuttle from the port to Belfast.

We took a taxi from the port to Greenock train station, and then the train to Glasgow.

Invergordon/Inverness - we had a taxi tour. Make sure you tell the driver where you want to go. Our driver took us to a distillery which we didn’t need to see.

Edinburgh - the X99 tourist bus goes directly from the tender port to the city.

Le Havre - we had a taxi transfer to Honfleur. It took about 30 minutes. As others have noted, if you like classical music, the Satie Museum is well worth a visit.

Did you reserve your taxi to Honfleur ahead of time? If so, how did you do this.

Thanks

Cheryl

Did you reserve your taxi to Honfleur ahead of time? If so, how did you do this.

Thanks

Cheryl

Hello. We just returned from Honfluer a week ago. Magnificent place. Reminded me of the Med. We reserved our taxi ahead of time by contacting the driver personally. He was prompt for both the pick-up at the ship and again in Honfluer.

Thanks

Cheryl

No, we just lined up outside the port building. We told the dispatcher that we wanted to go to Honfleur. It was $125 Euros round trip for 4 people. After dropoff, the driver came back for us after about three hours.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who are visiting St Peter Port Guernsey in 2019, and are interested in walking tours, VisitGuernsey have released the dates of various walking festivals for next year:-

19th April to 10th May - Heritage Festival

25th May to 9th June - Spring Walking Festival

14th September to 29th September - Autumn Walking Festival

I will post back once the brochures for these walks are available.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

For those visiting St Peter Port Guernsey in 2019, please note that Victor Hugo's House (Hauteville House) will be re-opening in April 2019 following extensive renovations during most of 2018.  If you wish to visit, it is a short (10-15 minutes) but extremely steep uphill walk from the tender pier.  Not suitable for those with walking difficulties. There are no buses which run to outside the house, and you would not find a taxi driver to take you on such a short ride. For those unable to walk who still wish to visit, I would suggest taking a private half day tour and ask that this finishes near to Hauteville House.  The walk downhill is fine, however you may be able to negotiate with your private driver to collect you later.

For those in the UK (or with BBC iPlayer access) there is a series, Les Miserables based on Victor Hugo's book, currently being aired at 9pm on a Sunday night.  So far 2 episodes of a total of 6 have been aired, 

On 4/1/2016 at 11:36 AM, mamkmm2 said:

Here are some of the resources that I've been using to plan our day in St. Peter Port. Thought I would share and maybe save someone some time and/or work.

Websites:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/st-peter-port

http://www.visitguernsey.com/cruise-visitors

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g551622-St_Peter_Port_Guernsey_Channel_Islands-Vacations.html

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=547

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Guernsey/Saint_Peter_Port-733193/TravelGuide-Saint_Peter_Port.html

http://www.chriscruises.com/2013/09/ten-things-to-do-in-st-peter-port-guernsey-channel-islands/

Maps:

http://www.mapquest.com/great-britain/st-peter-port-282409004

http://www.guernseyharbours.gov.gg/article/103073/Maps-of-St-Peter-Port-Harbour

Self-guiding walks of St. Peter Port:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/tasty-walks

I found the maps and audio (that you can download to your smart phone and play as you walk) very useful. Tasty Walk 2 is the one that I'm most focused on for this port.

Very cool virtual tour of St. Peter Port:

http://www.destination360.com/europe/uk/guernsey-saint-peter-port/virtual-tour

There's a youtube channel by a gentleman named Vic who has done all sorts of vids of St. Peter Port. He's fond of boats and tends to talk a lot but he does provide some information. Below is his youtube on Cornet Castle

[YOUTUBE]GOrmbENIT3s[/YOUTUBE]

For a broader look at the island of Guernsey this is a pretty good vid:

[YOUTUBE]umLE6rt09GY[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you for all of this information. Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread! We’re really looking forward to our visit this summer! We’re planning to do the “public bus tour” and hopefully a walking tour as well if the weather is good. 

My dad grew up in England and loves his scones and clotted cream. I’ve been researching places to have tea and have come up with the government house hotel, which looks walkable from the port(?), and Moulin Huet teahouse, which looks gorgeous but much harder to get to (I’ve looked at the bus map, but it seems like it would involve a walk or bus transfer from the bus that does the lap of the island, and that might be too much for my parents). Any thoughts or advice?

Meteora,

A few ladies from the ship and I booked a taxi driver on the pier for a short 2 hour tour of the whole island. Mind you this was several years ago, but it was about $50 USD per person. He took us to the former underground "hospital" which was nearly the gas chamber, to the cliffs, the shoreside community opposite end of the island, a tiny church made of broken tiles, many of the best views of the Island.  We got back to town in plenty of time to see the fortress, have proper tea and enjoy some strolling through the shops after everyone had returned to the ships.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:52 PM, Meteora said:

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread! We’re really looking forward to our visit this summer! We’re planning to do the “public bus tour” and hopefully a walking tour as well if the weather is good. 

My dad grew up in England and loves his scones and clotted cream. I’ve been researching places to have tea and have come up with the government house hotel, which looks walkable from the port(?), and Moulin Huet teahouse, which looks gorgeous but much harder to get to (I’ve looked at the bus map, but it seems like it would involve a walk or bus transfer from the bus that does the lap of the island, and that might be too much for my parents). Any thoughts or advice?

Just to be clear the "public bus tour" is not a tour, as you say a public bus scheduled route which circulates the island.  As a local, I would only recommend this to people that are staying on the island a few days.  If you go on this bus, you will miss seeing the best attractions on the island, i.e The Little Chapel, The German Occupation Museum, The Underground Hospital, Pleinmont Batterie, places mentioned in the Potato Peel Pie Society book etc.  Although you could disembark the round the island bus (and others going to the airport) to reach the German Occupation Museum, when trying to get back on the bus to do the rest of the route, you will find it will be very busy.

Moulin Huet would involve a walk, the buses do not get close at all, even with a taxi, you would still have a walk, which would be steep uphill on the way back.

It is not guaranteed that there will be taxis available when you arrive, especially if you are on a large ship or a busy day.  My suggestion would be to get a group together and book a private tour with a driver and separate accredited guide, of say 4 hours before you arrive.  Agree what you would like to see, my suggestions above, but in 4 hours you would only be able to probably do 3 of then plus some stops for photo's of cliff top views, beaches etc.  Ask to finish the tour and be dropped off at the Old Government House Hotel, where you can have afternoon tea (with real Guernsey cream), it is then an easy 10 minute walk downhill to the tender pier.  This hotel is the only 5 star hotel on the island, and has nice views over the town from the gardens, if good weather, I would have thought you would need to pre-book the afternoon tea.  The reason for a separate guide, is that they are qualified and regulated, they should be able to enhance your experience, and guide/accompany you through the various attractions, where taxi drivers will usually just drop you off and let you walk around on your own.  Earlier in this thread there are recommendations by other CC's.

Edited by Guernseycruiser

We will be at St Peter Port on April 20th from 8am-6pm.  DH and I would like to focus our time on the German Occupation (Underground Military Museum, Occupation Museum, Naval Signals HQ, Underground Hospital) and gin tasting.  I know we won't have time to see everything, but what would be the best, most efficient way to tour these sites?  Most of the sites are only a few miles apart.  Can we just rely on taxis being available?  Any advice on "what not to miss"?

On April 20th,  I also saw that there will be "experts" at the German bunker at Fort Hommet from 2-5pm....so would like to see that too.  

6 hours ago, CruisingIGo said:

We will be at St Peter Port on April 20th from 8am-6pm.  DH and I would like to focus our time on the German Occupation (Underground Military Museum, Occupation Museum, Naval Signals HQ, Underground Hospital) and gin tasting.  I know we won't have time to see everything, but what would be the best, most efficient way to tour these sites?  Most of the sites are only a few miles apart.  Can we just rely on taxis being available?  Any advice on "what not to miss"?

On April 20th,  I also saw that there will be "experts" at the German bunker at Fort Hommet from 2-5pm....so would like to see that too.  

It is great that you want to visit so many attractions, however this is very ambitious.  There will not be taxis available at each of these stops, hence the only possible way you could do this would be to hire a driver and car for the day, which would need to be booked before you arrive (there will not be a line of cars/mini-vans available waiting for passengers as you may see at other ports).  Although you are due to be in from 8am to 6pm, you will need to take into account that you are tendering, which will take up time.  Also, many of the places you wish to visit are not open before 9 or 10am.  My understanding is that the gin tasting is only at certain times of day, you would need to contact them for details.  Although the places are only a few miles apart, traffic will be busy as will the attractions, especially with this being the Easter weekend.  You would need to estimate approx. 1 hour at each of the places you mention.  "Not to miss", I would also recommend a stop at the Little Chapel and Pleinmont Gun Batterie.  Perhaps it would be an idea to start by contacting an accredited guide, who should be able to provide you with suggestions on how to achieve the most of your time ashore and be able to enhance your visit by giving additional information on the Occupation between stops.

You mention the bunkers at Fort Hommet, most of these are only open to the public a few times a year, so a perfect time to be visiting, however again this will become busy during the afternoon with locals as well as visitors.

Edited by Guernseycruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post some information which would answer many questions that are repeated.

1) Petit Train - this small tourist train runs around St Peter Port, you can not disembark during the tour, useful for people who are unable to walk far and wish to see St Peter Port only

2) Walking Tours - there is a walking tour of St Peter Port led by an accredited guide every day from the Tourist Office at 10:30am - no need to book - was GBP8 in 2018, not sure of 2019 prices, 1.5/2 hours.  There are walking festivals run at various times during the year, which cover other areas of the island with different themes.

3) Victor Hugo's house - a 15 minute very steep uphill walk from the tender pier, not suitable for those with any walking difficulties.  Has just been refurbished and due to re-open in April 2019 - unsure of prices.

4) Castle Cornet - a 15 minute flat walk from the tender pier, but due to many steps inside, not suitable for those with walking difficulties.  GBP 10.50 entrance fee.  Free tours at 10:30 am every day (no need to book), and some afternoons at 2pm.  A gun is fired at midday everyday which is interesting to see.

5) Little Chapel - you will need to take a bus, taxi or tour to visit - no entrance fee - in my top 5 places to visit

6) German Occupation Museum - you will need to take a bus, taxi or tour to visit - GBP6 entrance fee - in my top 5 places to visit

7) German Underground Hospital - you will need to take a bus, taxi or tour to visit - Entrance fee was GBP4 in 2018, due to re-open in April 2019

8)I am looking for something a bit different - There are many different attractions and tours - what about a tour of a dairy farm or one with Golden Guernsey Goats?  Or perhaps a cider, gin or wine tasting?

9) Pleinmont Gun Batterie - you will need to take a taxi or a tour, this is quite far from the nearest bus stop - no entrance fee

10) Islands of Herm or Sark - beautiful, recommend if you have already visited Guernsey a few times - independently or on a ship's tour

11) Places from the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book - you would need a tour for this

12) Round the island bus - this is not a tour, this is a local bus which at various times of the day will be busy with commuters and or school children.  There is no commentary.  Whilst it does travel around the coastline of the island, you will not see in my opinion the most interesting attractions.

13) Guernsey may appear small, however if you wish to visit attractions outside of St Peter Port, it will be extremely difficult and time consuming to do this on foot.

There are many places you can visit independently, however if this is your first visit to Guernsey, or you have travelled many miles to reach here, I would recommend making the most of your time by booking a guide plus driver before you arrive to take you to the places you wish to see.  There should be some taxis at the nearest rank (not guaranteed), but there will not be lines and lines of taxis to barter with who are just waiting to drive you around.

I think my main message is to be organised and do you research before you arrive.  There is so many different places to see, and with tenders your time is limited, hence please make the most use of your day (although I am sure once you have seen Guernsey you will want to come back for a longer visit!!).

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post and I will do my best to answer.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pizzalady1 said:

Thanks GuernseyCruiser, your post is very helpful. Is there a list somewhere of private guides/drivers? Does the Visitor's Bureau have a list? Or do we just google then check with TripAdvisor?

All of the accredited guides are listed on this website: https://www.guernseyguidedtours.com/

The Visitor's Bureau also have a list of the guides, and the independent link from their website is https://www.visitguernsey.com/see-and-do/things-to-do/guided-walks  Just then click on visit website on the right hand side

If you click on the name of the guide, you will then find their contact details.  Some of the guides have been mentioned previously on Cruisecritic.  As you say, you can also verify via TripAdvisor.  

• 2 weeks later...

In looking at the excursions for St Peter Port,  Celebrity lists a "Juniper and Jewels" small group tour. There is no further information on the web site and when we called Celebrity to ask about it,  the person we spoke with was not able to find any information either. Is anyone familiar with this one? 

5 hours ago, calteacher said:

We are interested in having a guided tour in a car, three people.  Are there guides who can provide transportation?  Are taxis available for four hours where we can get a guide to go with us?

Thanks

I think there may be a few guides that have taxi/public vehicle licences whereby they can take you in their cars.  Otherwise I am sure most of the guides would provide a tour with a taxi.  Some guides have been recommended on this thread (and other threads) by cruisecritic members.  If you click on the accredited guides list, and then on each guide, you will be able to see what they offer, the link is below.

https://www.guernseyguidedtours.com/guides

16 hours ago, KathyL2537 said:

In looking at the excursions for St Peter Port,  Celebrity lists a "Juniper and Jewels" small group tour. There is no further information on the web site and when we called Celebrity to ask about it,  the person we spoke with was not able to find any information either. Is anyone familiar with this one? 

RCCL have one listed on their website, which as they are sister companies, I am sure this is the same.  

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=GS51&DestinationCode=BERMU

• 1 month later...

Just to give future guests the "heads up", the round the island commuter bus (91 and 92) will be GBP 5 per person from 1st April 2019.  As I have previously mentioned, I do not feel that this provides people with the opportunity to see the best attractions the island has to offer.  There is a tourist "explorer" bus, 90 minutes for GBP 10 with pre-recorded commentary, stops at the Little Chapel and one photo stop together with a part island drive.  Again IMHO whilst the Little Chapel would be in my top 5 places to see, there are so many other places which you should try to add into your one day visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Hauteville House (Victor Hugo's House) has now opened following extensive renovations.  Whilst you are able to walk around the gardens without a reservation, as the numbers are limited within the house at any time, if you wish to visit inside, I would recommend that you book a tour (with a specific time slot) prior to your arrival.  Guests are not allowed to walk around the house on "their own", the tour is included in the purchase price of the ticket of GBP 10 per person.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently been for a visit to Victor Hugo's House following the extensive renovations.  It is absolutely amazing, I thoroughly recommend visiting when you are next in Guernsey.  Please ensure that you book well in advance as they are extremely busy, especially on cruise ship days, and numbers are limited.  If you are visiting Guernsey during 2019 and wish to see the house, I would book now, even if it means this is 6 months in advance.  Please note they do not open until 10am (and not open on a Wednesday).