Live from Viking Sea - Istanbul to Venice!

editor@cruisecritic

Hi -- just a quick heads up to let you know Cruise Critic is onboard Viking Sea on its first passenger cruise. Happy to answer questions, please post 'em here. As some of you may recall, I was also on the maiden of Viking Star, so am pretty familiar with what Viking Oceans is all about. (Note: Viking Star won our Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Award for best new ship in 2015).

Quick first-impressions feedback on Viking Sea:

*It looks and feels just like Viking Star -- which is to say, gorgeous -- so if you've cruised with Star you'll be right at home. If not, you'll be blown away with how beautiful the ship is.

*Dining, everywhere we've tried, has been sublime. Even better than last year if that's possible. Have been at the World Cafe, Grille, room service, Manfredi's, the Chef's Table so far.

*Speaking of dining, the Chef's Table wins an award for best improved eatery -- really has been tweaked and was a blast (we tried a new menu, a Norwegian bistro-themed meal, delicious). We're booked tomorrow to try a new Chinese menu, and hear that a Mexican menu is in the works (would love to sample that one!).

*Also strongly improved: Enrichment talks. There's a superb lecturer onboard, and he's drawing lots of passengers to his various talks. As well, shore excursions are strongly tweaked to include more experiential tours as well as standard overview tours.

Will share more tomorrow -- and happy to answer questions if I can.

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Carolyn,

Has there been any changes or tweaks to the technology? Faster wifi? or TV system etc? Any tweaks to the ship itself?

Very curious if customer feedback and a year of experience has resulted in changes; not that it wasn't great before from what I have read. Sailing in August on the Sea and looking forward to it

Hi, TruJeffie.

The WiFi, which I found to be quite fast-for-a-ship when we were in port (and most people were off, exploring) seems the seem. A little bit slower when we're all back onboard. No trouble accessing email, Facebook adn the like when all are on, but a little harder to upload images. Still, better than the the big ships I've been on lately, and a much better value (unlimited WiFi is complimentary). Love that I can use all devices -- laptop, iPad, phone!

No major physical tweaks to the ship, small touches, the art is different. Where I'm seeing changes is more in what I call the three Es: excursions, entertainment, enrichment, all really really good.

My sense is and has been that Viking takes feedback very seriously and you can see that in softer improvements like the revamped Chef's Table, and the improved trio of Es. A lot of what Viking did with the oceans' cruise line was outstanding pretty much from the get-go -- the cabin designs, the comfortable places for quiet reading and conversation, the lovely service. The pool deck is beautiful. Afternoon tea is elegant.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Has there been any changes or tweaks to the technology? Faster wifi? or TV system etc? Any tweaks to the ship itself?

Very curious if customer feedback and a year of experience has resulted in changes; not that it wasn't great before from what I have read. Sailing in August on the Sea and looking forward to it

Carolyn, how lucky you guys are to be on another Viking maiden! I'm sure she's just as lovely as Star. Is The Factotum on board? See if you can sniff out any information about different itineraries as more ships come on line.

Have fun!

Hi, Amyr. Definitely intrigued about new itineraries as more ships come on line -- I want to check out Viking in the Caribbean, in particular.

Carolyn

Carolyn, how lucky you guys are to be on another Viking maiden! I'm sure she's just as lovely as Star. Is The Factotum on board? See if you can sniff out any information about different itineraries as more ships come on line.

Have fun!

Hi Carolyn......Love getting first hand news from this thread. I have a silly question about the self-serve laundry. Is is possible to set the machines to use cold water only? I'll be on the Sea in May and have a couple of items of clothing I might leave at home if I can't wash them in cold water. Thanks and have a great trip!

Hi Carolyn,

You mentioned enrichment has improved. I assume you are referring to pre-port lectures. When are they offered? Some of the comments I have come across say they are usually during dinner hours or other inconvenient times which makes it difficult to attend.

Have great trip and thanks for the updates!

Learned something new last night, TruJeffie. In terms of the technology, the plan is to continue to invest in WiFi to an even higher level, which is pretty nice considering it's free for all to use. Also there's a new channel on the Viking Sea TV (Viking Star will also get it eventually) and that's a Bridge-view cam.

Been so busy, I keep forgetting to turn the television on! I learned about that because I was asking, on a ship so filled with music at all times of the day, why can't we play music in our cabins? (I'm told that is in the works). The music that accompanies the view from the bridge is lovely).

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Good news, Lucky Granny: There's a cold wash setting on the washer!

Also delicate settings, frankly enough settings to land a plane :) -- nice machines.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn......Love getting first hand news from this thread. I have a silly question about the self-serve laundry. Is is possible to set the machines to use cold water only? I'll be on the Sea in May and have a couple of items of clothing I might leave at home if I can't wash them in cold water. Thanks and have a great trip!

Hi Carolyn, I hope you are enjoying your current experience on Viking Sea. You may like to look at my post today on the Viking Ocean forum, just below yours. If you get the chance with any management travelling with you, please ask them what is going wrong with their shorex bookings. They are bumping their good customers from shorex without notification or explainable reasons. It all seems a mess to me, I have multiple experiences of mistakes in the myvikingjourney system use, compounded by two different tour bumpings in consecutive weeks. I note your very complimentary view of conditions on board Viking Sea, thanks for your comments.

Hi Carolyn, I hope you are enjoying your current experience on Viking Sea. You may like to look at my post today on the Viking Ocean forum, just below yours. If you get the chance with any management travelling with you, please ask them what is going wrong with their shorex bookings. They are bumping their good customers from shorex without notification or explainable reasons. It all seems a mess to me, I have multiple experiences of mistakes in the myvikingjourney system use, compounded by two different tour bumpings in consecutive weeks. I note your very complimentary view of conditions on board Viking Sea, thanks for your comments.

Carolyn,

Ditto Hornblower's request. It has been a big topic here on CC in the past few weeks and needless to say, it is very upsetting to those who have had their plans changed, especially for those who have multiple tours planned in a port or who have also arranged for private tours based on the times they have booked for included tours.

Also, there is a question about the depth of the pools that has been posted in this thread that has not been answered.

Thank you for being our eyes on the ground.

Can the main dining room easily accommodate the number of people wanting to dine there? Is the wait to get in very long?

Thank you. Lynda

Is dining in the Main dining room like on other ships, ... if you are happy to join a table there is no delay, but if you prefer a table for two, then you may have to wait a while? We have booked for January '17. There is a suggestion that you should book the MDR on line in advance, is this correct.... unusual though. J

Depends on when you go. We tried to eat at 6:30 as soon as the dining room opened, and we usually had a 10 to 15 minute wait. If you do 7:00 or later, there didn't seem to be a line. They have plenty of tables for 2 so that's not at all an issue.

Hi, Captain. Management is actually not traveling on this sailing -- this is a question that Viking will have to answer. They read the forums, though, so hoping they'll jump in here?!

Carolyn

Hi, inborntraveler and Jay23 (and thanks Id4Elizabeth for weighing in). The Restaurant on Viking Sea (and Star) is not like any other cruise line. First, it's designed with plenty of tables for two -- so you're not forced to dine with others if you don't feel like it. Though the two-tops are so close to other two-tops you may feel like you're at a bigger table!

Otherwise, re dining waits, it varies from trip to trip depending on what passengers' preferences are, how late the ship is in port, etc. We haven't seen lines on this trip -- and there is such a variety of dining options that people really are spread throughout the ships.

My favorite discovery on this trip: The somewhat revamped Chef's Table. There's two new menus that you have to try if you get a chance -- a Norwegian bistro and a Chinese. New as well is an enhanced wine pairing option (you can still have the complimentary wine pairing meal) that's $25 extra per person but no extra charge to those who've bought the Silver Spirits package. We found the new pairings to be really dynamic and interesting....

Carolyn

Is dining in the Main dining room like on other ships, ... if you are happy to join a table there is no delay, but if you prefer a table for two, then you may have to wait a while? We have booked for January '17. There is a suggestion that you should book the MDR on line in advance, is this correct.... unusual though. J
Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Hi Carolyn - reading your posts makes me really miss being on the Star this year, despite all it's teething problems last year! Fortunately though we're headed off to Eastern Europe on Viking in a few weeks so more new things to see.

Question: is there iced tea readily available? :D

Hi Carolyn - reading your posts makes me really miss being on the Star this year, despite all it's teething problems last year! Fortunately though we're headed off to Eastern Europe on Viking in a few weeks so more new things to see.

Question: is there iced tea readily available? :D

id4elizabeth,

I was going to check out the ice tea situation for you when we board the Viking Sea in Barcelona in two weeks. I remember your posts on CC as one of the "50 day crazies" sailing on the Viking Star's maiden voyage this time last year. Viking obviously took it seriously about providing ice tea based on your difficulties in getting some while you were cruising. I can testify that it was readily available by the time we cruised on the Star in October (at least I saw it in the World Cafe at the coffee and tea station.)

Dear Captain Hornblower & Peregrina651,

Please accept our apologies for any difficulties you may be experiencing with your shore excursion schedules. We are aware of the internal issue causing these unforeseen adjustments and are working hard to implement a solution.

Your feedback is appreciated and, if you wish to discuss your individual concerns further, you are welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Captain Hornblower & Peregrina651, we apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Carolyn,

Ditto Hornblower's request. It has been a big topic here on CC in the past few weeks and needless to say, it is very upsetting to those who have had their plans changed, especially for those who have multiple tours planned in a port or who have also arranged for private tours based on the times they have booked for included tours.

Also, there is a question about the depth of the pools that has been posted in this thread that has not been answered.

Thank you for being our eyes on the ground.

Carolyn

Thanks for your updates about Viking Sea. I'm due to sail next month and I'm wondering if the public address system has been changed? I read on CC that guests were having trouble hearing announcements on the Star when they were in their staterooms, they had to open the room door to hear. I've got hearing problems so I might miss any announcements if they are not announced in the staterooms.

Thanks, S

Thanks Viking, I have already replied to similar posts on other threads. I appreciate your sentiments. Thank you for acknowledging the problem of confirmed shorex bookings being bumped. My problem remains logged with my local Viking office, however will use “TellUs” should time drag on more than another day or so. I thank you for your efforts thus far.

Dear Captain Hornblower & Peregrina651,

Please accept our apologies for any difficulties you may be experiencing with your shore excursion schedules. We are aware of the internal issue causing these unforeseen adjustments and are working hard to implement a solution.

Your feedback is appreciated and, if you wish to discuss your individual concerns further, you are welcome to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Captain Hornblower & Peregrina651, we apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Hi, guys -- as an avid iced tea aficionado, this was a pleasure for me to track down. The good news: It's available readily in the World Cafe. The bad news: I don't know about you, but I thought it was undrinkable. Made out of powder. Next to the iced tea cannister though is an ever-present pot of hot water with a lovely range of tea bags (Earl Grey, Breakfast tea and the like), and you can make your own, which I heartily recommend.

Last year I was on Royal Caribbean and the team was similarly powder-made, and I asked a food and beverage executive from Royal: Why don't cruise lines make real tea? He gave me an explanation about how hard it is to brew it onboard in large quantities, for quality, and I must admit the logic is sort of fuzzy, but he seemed sincere.

Carolyn

ia

id4elizabeth,

I was going to check out the ice tea situation for you when we board the Viking Sea in Barcelona in two weeks. I remember your posts on CC as one of the "50 day crazies" sailing on the Viking Star's maiden voyage this time last year. Viking obviously took it seriously about providing ice tea based on your difficulties in getting some while you were cruising. I can testify that it was readily available by the time we cruised on the Star in October (at least I saw it in the World Cafe at the coffee and tea station.)