Aloha is Love - Review of POA in Hawaii with Pics, Menus & More

sjmbruce

sjmbruce,

Thank you so much for your amazing review. I have until 2019 to plan this cruise (and I'm in last minute finish up planning mode for our Panama Canal cruise this Feb) so I am slowly going through the whole thing and I've already learned a ton.

If you do the little cheat sheet, I would love to see it.

Thanks again.

Planning is so much fun! Are you doing a full or partial transit for the canal? A partial transit was my first cruise and it was definitely an amazing adventure. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. My cheat sheet is just a working list of things to do and places to eat, stuff like that. I'm going to start working on it again and try to get it up soon.

We have contemplated this trip for years and I think your review pushed us over the edge! We are booked for 9/2017 and I guess I need to get busy planning. I would also love a cheat sheet if you did make one up!! Thanks so much for such a wonderful review!

Thanks for reading and I am glad you decided to book! I'm no expert, but I would personally suggest that you start looking at and reserving anything in high demand that has low capacity, such as a helicopter or plane ride. I'm going to start working on my list again and hopefully have it up before you go :o If you ever have any questions, please ask and have a great time planning.

Planning is so much fun! Are you doing a full or partial transit for the canal? A partial transit was my first cruise and it was definitely an amazing adventure. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. My cheat sheet is just a working list of things to do and places to eat, stuff like that. I'm going to start working on it again and try to get it up soon.

I'm doing the full transit. I can't wait. It is definitely a bucket list item.

Thanks again. Any time in the next 18 months will be early enough for me on the cheat sheet. Ha ha.

Have you read "The Land Between The Seas" in prep for your PC transit? I expected it to be like a homework assignment, but THOROUGHLY enjoyed it and strongly recommend it.

That cruise was also a bucket list item for me. The rest of my regular travel group were not interested, so I went with a bridge playing friend. We had a fabulous time with a very active roll call group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you read "The Land Between The Seas" in prep for your PC transit? I expected it to be like a homework assignment, but THOROUGHLY enjoyed it and strongly recommend it.

That cruise was also a bucket list item for me. The rest of my regular travel group were not interested, so I went with a bridge playing friend. We had a fabulous time with a very active roll call group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it was like a homework assignment. I made it part of the way through and learned a ton, but it was just way too wordy for me.

Other than the travel guides like Fodor's, Lonely Planet, and Frommers, any good Hawaii books that are a must read before the cruise?

To me it was like a homework assignment. I made it part of the way through and learned a ton, but it was just way too wordy for me.

Other than the travel guides like Fodor's, Lonely Planet, and Frommers, any good Hawaii books that are a must read before the cruise?

If you like to learn about the place you're visiting, I'd suggest reading about the myths and legends of Hawaii. They're fascinating, and even certain flowers will have a new meaning after learning about their legends.

I wish I had read more about the modern history of Hawaii, it would have helped me understand the culture of native Hawaiians and the feelings of many about obtaining independence.

The book relic2 recommended, Hawaii By Cruise Ship, was helpful. I forgot about that one because I sat at a Barnes and Noble and flipped through it instead of buying it or borrowing from the library. If you've got travel guides, you're all set for basic touring. I even packed my favorite one and brought it with us.

Edited by sjmbruce

• 1 month later...
I am so glad for all of the great reviews I found for Hawaii and NCL. Many of the activities you chose to do would be my choice as well, as I am seriously considering the POA to be my first cruise experience. Do you think this would be a good choice?

My first cruise wasn't the usual 7 day Caribbean cruise. I did a 10 day partial transit through the Panama Canal and had a great time. The only thing about the POA Hawaii cruise is that if your active at the ports, you're not on the ship that much. You should get enough of a taste of it to see if you'd like cruising. And if you don't, you won't be onboard all that long anyway. Either way, happy planning!

And I do have a Freestyle Daily for each day of the cruise, but the clear version is a PDF. The photo sharing site I use doesn't support PDFs, and I'm not sure if I can attach that here. If anyone would like them emailed, I would be happy to do so.

Edited by sjmbruce

:cool: Thank You for this post? Sailing May 20th. Flying in May 17th and will get on the plane to HNL in Chicago. I am disappointed that there is no entertainment on United. Can I use my own tablet?

Pre Cruise at park Shore which is at a quiet section of the beach. No excursions booked yet. Thinking of booking Pearl Harbor at the end of the trip. Pearl Harbor offered and then PH plus bus tour offered. Welcome any ideas on excursions.

Also, I read in your review that you were going to try and rescan the daily schedules. Did you ever get a chance to do that? I would love to see some from the POA even if they're a little old.

I don't want to horn in on this review, but I do have the Freestyle Dailies from our POA cruise last March in my blog. Our cruise was a bit different in that it left from San Francisco following the POA drydock, but once we got to Hawaii we followed the same route as the 7 day cruises (almost).

Here is a link to the beginning of the POA blog posts: http://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2016/03/aloha-hawaiithe-back-story.html

We spent a few days at the beginning in San Francisco and a few more at the end in Honolulu so you may just want to skip through those. You can find the individual posts in the archive list on the the right hand side of the page.

I did a land-based vacation to Maui several years ago with my mom and sister (left the men at home :D). We did the Road to Hana and Beyond and had a ball!! I don't recommend this to anyone due to the fact that the car rental agencies (insurance) don't cover you. There were several times we wondered if we were doing the right thing, but it was all good and it was the best part of our trip!!

Akaka falls wasn't too far of a drive.

ry%3D400

Once in the parking lot, head to the beginning of the trail. If you go left, you'll arrive at the falls a little faster, but I suggest going right for the full loop trail. It's only .5 miles and is a nice walk.

What the OP didn't mention was that there is a LOT of stairs....this hike is definitely NOT friendly if you have mobility issues at all. It is a beautiful hike, but be prepared for a ton of stairs.... :*

I don't want to horn in on this review, but I do have the Freestyle Dailies from our POA cruise last March in my blog. Our cruise was a bit different in that it left from San Francisco following the POA drydock, but once we got to Hawaii we followed the same route as the 7 day cruises (almost).

Here is a link to the beginning of the POA blog posts: http://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2016/03/aloha-hawaiithe-back-story.html

We spent a few days at the beginning in San Francisco and a few more at the end in Honolulu so you may just want to skip through those. You can find the individual posts in the archive list on the the right hand side of the page.

Very nice blog! Thanks for sharing.

• 1 year later...

I have been MIA from CC for over a year but I had to come back now that I am finally able to cruise to Hawaii. Last year I did my first one. It was just a quick cruise that took us down the coast and back up. I loved it! Then work got in the way and I couldn't start planning for my next one until now. That next one is going to be Hawaii. I bookmarked this review because NCL's 7 days on several islands is what appeals to me. First question - I want to do a few days on Oahu. Should I do them before the cruise or after? Its been awhile so I hope you or some other knowledgeable cruiser sees this!

I think the wifi not working was unintended. Not having anything else available but offering a preloaded tablet for $14.99 was definitely a profit making move. I've had much shorter flights that at least had TV shows playing on the seat backs though. It was definitely disappointing. I don't know if I would chose United again, especially for a longer flight.

I always check what kind of jet I will be flying..wide bodies, like Boeing 777, 767 or Airbus 330, 340 are the best..call the airline & make sure what their entertainment options are, & if they have private screens for every seat..I would go crazy w/o a screen at my seat for 10 hrs, lol...

Big Al

I have been MIA from CC for over a year but I had to come back now that I am finally able to cruise to Hawaii. Last year I did my first one. It was just a quick cruise that took us down the coast and back up. I loved it! Then work got in the way and I couldn't start planning for my next one until now. That next one is going to be Hawaii. I bookmarked this review because NCL's 7 days on several islands is what appeals to me. First question - I want to do a few days on Oahu. Should I do them before the cruise or after? Its been awhile so I hope you or some other knowledgeable cruiser sees this!

Coming back to this review and reliving my vacation was a good surprise today. My husband and I are thinking that Hawaii may have been our best vacation yet. At the very least it was the most beautiful.

Anyway, it's definitely personal preference about staying on Oahu pre or post cruise. By the end of a cruise, we're just ready to go home. We did things after it just to kill time before our flight. Plus my husband really wanted to go to Pearl Harbor.

If I could do it again and had the time to take off of work, I'd go to Pearl Harbor before the cruise, then spend at least one night after the cruise and just spend that last day on beaches.

It's been awhile now since my trip, but if you have any other questions please ask.

I always check what kind of jet I will be flying..wide bodies, like Boeing 777, 767 or Airbus 330, 340 are the best..call the airline & make sure what their entertainment options are, & if they have private screens for every seat..I would go crazy w/o a screen at my seat for 10 hrs, lol...

Big Al

I don't think I have ever paid attention to what type of jet my flight will be on. From now on, I will check. Thanks for the tip!

Your review is fantastic! Even though we are not going until Dec/18, your days sound roughly the same as ours. I wasn't sure about the specialty restaurants, but may have to rethink that as well. We are booked for a private plane ride on Kauai and I hope it pans out, as it is on my bucket list!!

This thread is 2 years old.....things change in 2 years.

That is definitely an important point. I didn’t wantto ignore any questions, but things can change in two years. Or even in twoweeks. When we went, we were able to park at the shopping mall near the port in Maui withoutany issues. A few weeks later, people were reporting receiving tickets and possiblyeven a tow or two occurred. On apositive note, I know someone who went after us who was able to see lava flow.