Lahaina Maui Car Rental

splitpeaz

Im having a really hard time finding a car rental in Lahaina for May 8 (Sta Princess)

There is no availability @ http://discounthawaiicarrental.com and from what I have read, rentals are only available at the airport?

Where does the ship dock in Lahaina. Does anyone have any suggestions or info on car rental agencies I can check? Thanks!

I see availability with DHCR for your date ... try using "Cruise Passengers - Lahaina" as your pick up/drop off location.

The rental agencies in W. Maui are about 5 miles north of Lahaina (per Bruce's description) - they are off-site for West Maui Airport (code JHM if you want to try booking through another site.)

On DHCR's website, they provide info on shuttles - click on "Maui, Lahaina Harbor" in this link, and you'll see that Enterprise and Dollar provide shuttles (including instructions for shuttle contact) - and Budget and Avis do not (therefore requiring a taxi each way. ) http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.shtml

Just to add ... I hope that the hike/bike info that I provided in your thread for Hilo was of some help to you.

On DHCR's website, they provide info on shuttles - click on "Maui, Lahaina Harbor" in this link, and you'll see that Enterprise and Dollar provide shuttles (including instructions for shuttle contact) - and Budget and Avis do not (therefore requiring a taxi each way. ) .

Thank you Susan for that info regarding shuttles! I just replaced my Budget reservation with Enterprise thanks to you.

Thanks Everyone. When I put in ''Cruise Passengers-Lahaina'' May 8th it says

''Sorry, no cars were found for the selected location and dates/times. Please modify your search and try again.''

BUT I do see a list of vehicles after that comment. I just realized the vehicles listed have a JHM location code so I assume its giving me the car rental availability at the airport. I might just call the 1-800 #

Thanks for the info on car-rentals that offer shuttle services, that will def. help with the decision. Do you know approx. how much is a taxi is (one way)

* Thanks Susan! We have changed our mind several times about what to do in Hilo (its hard being the middle man when travelling with several people) My husband/dad are doing a heli-tour and then we are driving to the park and should have 3 hrs to enjoy the sites there. Next time I plan to get my hike in! :)

The location code JHM is for West Maui Airport ... the rental cars aren't at the airport though - they are off site in Kaanapali - 2 miles south of the airport and 5 miles N. Lahaina, so if you're seeing JHM for the location, it's correct. What you don't want is OGG - which is the airport in Kahului.

I wonder if the times that you're using are causing problems - the rental companies on the west side have limited hours - I think 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (but you can do an after hours drop off - and taxi back.)

A taxi will cost about $15-20 each way from the Lahaina Harbor to the rental location in Kaanapali.

Keep in mind on the shuttles depending on how many are waiting they may allow only the driver to ride the shuttle and all others have to wait back in Lahaina. I experienced that in 2014, I also made the mistake of getting in the back of the van (vans is what they use :eek:) so I was the last off the van at the rental office. There was one person at the counter so I waited for 45 minutes to get the car. Factor in the time it took to go back to Lahaina and pick up my passengers it was a couple hours lost. This time we are grabbing a cab at the pier to go get the car.

• 2 months later...
Keep in mind on the shuttles depending on how many are waiting they may allow only the driver to ride the shuttle and all others have to wait back in Lahaina. I experienced that in 2014, I also made the mistake of getting in the back of the van (vans is what they use :eek:) so I was the last off the van at the rental office. There was one person at the counter so I waited for 45 minutes to get the car. Factor in the time it took to go back to Lahaina and pick up my passengers it was a couple hours lost. This time we are grabbing a cab at the pier to go get the car.

Are cabs readily available at the pier?

We will be on the Solstice which overnights at the Pier on September 17th/18th so I am hopeful that I can get off the ship at 06:00 and be at the car rental office at 07:00. Is this doable?

Mike

"Readily available " is a challenging phrase. Resources aren't unlimited on Maui. If you get off at 6ish...I don't expect you would have much competition for a cab. But not sure exactly how many cabs would be just standing around.

Things in Hawaii don't operate on tight schedules. Your car won't disappear if you are 20 minutes late.

We will be on the Solstice which overnights at the Pier on September 17th/18th so I am hopeful that I can get off the ship at 06:00 and be at the car rental office at 07:00. Is this doable?

Mike

When tendering in any port the arrival time has never been the time of arriving at the pier. If your arrival time on the 17th is 6:00 you could arrive in Lahaina much later. On Princess the first to get tenders are those at their elite repeat passenger level, those in full suites and passengers on ship's tours.

The last time I picked up friends tendering into Lahaina they waited until 10:00 in an effort to avoids delays but it still took them 30-45 minutes.

There is very limited parking at the small Lahaina boat harbor so there may not be many taxis available. You might want to consider pre reserving a tax & call them as you're boarding your tender boat.

Here's a link to one taxi company in Lahaina:

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer, the poster is doing an overnight visit to Lahaina. The 6am might refer to the second morning....at least that is the way I took it. Otherwise, yes, 6am on the arrival day is very impractical.

Thanks for all the information guys, I think what we will do is book a two-day rental, we will get the car on the morning of the 17th whenever we get off the ship (no rush) , park it overnight on the pier or close by if that lot is full and then return it the afternoon on the 18th.

I will use the West Maui taxi services to arrange rides back and forth.

Mike

Mike

Hi,

I should have responded sooner. When we arrived in Lahaina we got on the first tender boat so were off about 8 am. The shuttle driver confirmed their van was driver's only so we shared a taxi with another couple up to Kapalua Airport. It was $25 for the taxi and there was plenty of them right across from where the shuttle buses stopped. After the disaster we had the previous cruise it was worth the price. :)

Edit: also we parked in the lot behind the cinema for about $12 for the night.

Edited by PCWalton1

Thanks for all the information guys, I think what we will do is book a two-day rental, we will get the car on the morning of the 17th whenever we get off the ship (no rush) , park it overnight on the pier or close by if that lot is full and then return it the afternoon on the 18th.

I will use the West Maui taxi services to arrange rides back and forth.

Mike

Sounds like a good plan although the pier is very small & there's only on street parking near it. However as I recall on street parking is prohibited overnight in Lahaina. The Wharf Cinema shopping center's parking lot (located at the back) recommended by PCWalton1 is only about a 5 minute walk (across from the large banyan tree adjacent to the harbor). Other parking lots are behind the Baldwin Home Museum (Dickenson St & Front St) and further away at Front St & Prison.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 8 months later...
Sounds like a good plan although the pier is very small & there's only on street parking near it. However as I recall on street parking is prohibited overnight in Lahaina. The Wharf Cinema shopping center's parking lot (located at the back) recommended by PCWalton1 is only about a 5 minute walk (across from the large banyan tree adjacent to the harbor). Other parking lots are behind the Baldwin Home Museum (Dickenson St & Front St) and further away at Front St & Prison.

Are you actually allowed to park in any of the above mentioned lots overnight? And if we are paying $12 to park is anyone on duty overnight to keep an eye on the cars? Worried about theft or damage to the car. And who do you pay the money to? Thanks.

Are you actually allowed to park in any of the above mentioned lots overnight? And if we are paying $12 to park is anyone on duty overnight to keep an eye on the cars? Worried about theft or damage to the car. And who do you pay the money to? Thanks.

I drive my car to Lahaina but don't park overnight so don't know the answers to your questions. When parking for the evening in a paid lot there is a self pay area.

The largest parking lot is at the Lahaina Center shopping area (Papalaua & Wainee...900 Front Street about 0.6 miles from Lahaina Harbor). I don't know if they allow overnight parking nor have any experience at the other parking lots.

If you search online for Lahaina parking lots there is information including phone numbers for some parkIng lots.

• 3 months later...
I see availability with DHCR for your date ... try using "Cruise Passengers - Lahaina" as your pick up/drop off location.

The rental agencies in W. Maui are about 5 miles north of Lahaina (per Bruce's description) - they are off-site for West Maui Airport (code JHM if you want to try booking through another site.)

On DHCR's website, they provide info on shuttles - click on "Maui, Lahaina Harbor" in this link, and you'll see that Enterprise and Dollar provide shuttles (including instructions for shuttle contact) - and Budget and Avis do not (therefore requiring a taxi each way. ) http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.shtml

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have there been any changes to the above information on Lahaina rental car availabiity? I read one post that mentioned that Shuttles from a couple of rental companies to the Lahaina Tender dock...?