Koningsdam Promenade Deck, judge for yourself (video)….

Alphen

Thank you. I think it's pretty sad, especially the very narrow section along the galley and MDR. I saw in the the clip that two people were walking clockwise. Back in that narrow section they may need traffic lights! :(

Edited by jtl513

Here is a link to a video I shot on board Koningsdam of the Promenade Deck...

HD version to follow shortly....

WOW!!

Thanks for the video. It is VERY obvious now that the Promenade deck has become very narrow all around. In some places so much so that it looks to be so narrow that 2 people cannot walk side by side:eek:. Looks to me that joggers cannot jog on it (could be by design since jogging is not supposed to be done anyway.)

All in all, it will not affect me since I do not use it, but for those who do, I feel sorry for their loss of a treasured part of the ship.

Joanie

Hello

What a horrible promenade deck! Obviously the bean counters decreed no worthwhile promenade deck because it would take away from revenue producing space like up charge dining spots and the like. What a shame. I will never sail on this ship.

If you love promenade decks check out the Queen Mary 2. Now that is a fabulous promenade deck!

Deck Chair

I'm disappointed, and I have to wonder why they even bothered continuing to the stern. They might as well have enlarged the MDR and made better use of the space. Too bad, as I've always enjoyed a well designed promenade deck, but this is no more than a token effort.

It seems to be a better attempt than princess and celebrity...

I don't agree. At least on the newest Princess & Celebrity ships there are a couple openings wide enough to support some nice lounging areas with great seating & unobstructed views. It's limited but something. KONINGSDAM doesn't even have this. The few areas that are open are extremely narrow, especially the aft section. Barely wide enough for one person to stroll.

I would no so mind if at least was simple and same width all round. As for clutter, not even nice to look at... at the sides and even above. Ugly view even from the balconies. I wonder waste time and money of the lovely teak doors?

I don't agree. At least on the newest Princess & Celebrity ships there are a couple openings wide enough to support some nice lounging areas with great seating & unobstructed views. It's limited but something. KONINGSDAM doesn't even have this. The few areas that are open are extremely narrow, especially the aft section. Barely wide enough for one person to stroll.

I'm with you. We've just spent two weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse, and on sea days DW and I loved to go to Café al Bacio, get a coffee and take it out on the promenade deck to sit and watch the waves drift by.

I will also miss the teak loungers and woolen blankets for cool weather cruising. To me that was HAL. I have better perks on other lines but will still choose HAL if the itinerary is what I want.

While watching the video it occurred to me that gathering to board a lifeboat might be a problem. Once people gather in front of "their" boat how does anyone get past them to get to another? I guess there must be required specs for approval but it looks pretty close!

Hello

What a horrible promenade deck! Obviously the bean counters decreed no worthwhile promenade deck because it would take away from revenue producing space like up charge dining spots and the like. What a shame. I will never sail on this ship.

If you love promenade decks check out the Queen Mary 2. Now that is a fabulous promenade deck!

Deck Chair

Big time SHAME on cruise line management & ships designers for eliminating one of the most wonderful parts of sailing aboard a ship..... sitting on a padded deck chair on the promenade deck. For me, nothing captures that blissful serenity at sea than spending hours in various states of consciousness there. I also believe cruise line management is on a tear to remove anything not "revenue production" related. Mass market cruise lines/ships are becoming way too stimulated and amplified. Not everyone wants to be at the main pool with the loud music. It seems that on the newbuilds quiet nooks and crannies inside the ship or out are becoming increasingly rare. And yes, the promenade deck on Queen Mary II is sublime !

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

How sad that the few places that might be wide enough for loungers are obstructed by lifeboats and canned rafts.

OK, so you aren't supposed to jog there. But even for walking, it seems like a lot of turning corners, dodging poles, getting through narrow areas. Not at all appealing for a relaxing stroll, and the narrow parts look awkward for someone in a wheelchair or using a walker.

I'm with you. We've just spent two weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse, and on sea days DW and I loved to go to Café al Bacio, get a coffee and take it out on the promenade deck to sit and watch the waves drift by.

Yes us too

Spent 2 weeks on Eclipse in January

I thought Koningsdam was going to have an even nicer promenade. Oh well.

Looks to me like there will be a lot of interference between slow and fast walkers. :(

I'll be interested though in the first time for On Deck for a Cause.
It'll be shuffle for a Cause!

Once people gather in front of "their" boat how does anyone get past them to get to another?
Mustering will be done indoors, and people just led out when their boat is ready. Edited by catl331

Here is a link to a video I shot on board Koningsdam of the Promenade Deck...

HD version to follow shortly....

Thanks for sharing, compared to Celebrity this is a lot better but will miss not being able to enjoy a lounge chair on this, deck as we have done in the past on an peaceful afternoon.

Thank you for the video.

Looking at how narrow the Promenade Deck is in places -- lifeboat drill definitely has to be inside. That is a good point.

Walking side-by-side is almost impossible in places.

I feel sorry for the people who love to sit in loungers and view the sea -- all gone.