Skagway and Ketchikan on your own

On this trip to Alaska, my wife and I are not doing any excursions in either city. We've done all we've wanted to do in that regard. So now I'm trying to figure out what else to do while there. We are seeing The Days of '98 Show in Skagway in the morning, but then we have about 4+ hours of free time. In Ketchikan, nothing planned as yet other than wandering the city (definitely hitting Creek Street).

So anyone have favorite things to do and/or see there? Not only looking for places to see, but definitely places to have lunch at as well. Just as an FYI: We're in Ketchikan between 7:00 & 3:00 and in Skagway between 7:00 & 4:00. And we've done the Lumberjack Show and Saxman's Village already.

We're doing Skagway on our own, and I'd post a review, but we're not getting back until May 25th.

We've been to Skagway before, so we're renting a car and going to Emerald Lake. There are tours, too, but we prefer to go at our pace.

On this trip to Alaska, my wife and I are not doing any excursions in either city. We've done all we've wanted to do in that regard. So now I'm trying to figure out what else to do while there. We are seeing The Days of '98 Show in Skagway in the morning, but then we have about 4+ hours of free time. In Ketchikan, nothing planned as yet other than wandering the city (definitely hitting Creek Street).

So anyone have favorite things to do and/or see there? Not only looking for places to see, but definitely places to have lunch at as well. Just as an FYI: We're in Ketchikan between 7:00 & 3:00 and in Skagway between 7:00 & 4:00. And we've done the Lumberjack Show and Saxman's Village already.

List what you have already done, so it isn't suggested again.

http://www.skagway.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

For a quick bite in Ketchikan I love the Burger Queen, just the other side of the downtown tunnel. Very popular with the ships crew. Recommended by a local was small fish place very close to Burger Queen on the outside of the tunnel, almost underneath it. Can't remember the name. Was going to eat there last visit but it was closed so I went to Burger Queen instead. When I walked by shortly afterward it was open, the owner had just returned from catching that days fish :)

In Skagway I usually rent a car and head up into the Yukon. Carcross has opened up some small shops and a restaurant that I thought was decent, but it is a pretty basic spot more burgers/hot dog type of things

The Ketchikan visitors' bureau has a great map for a DIY walking tour. We've used the map twice and take the funicular up to the hotel. They have a few totems up there and lovely landscaping.

We also drive the Klondike Hwy. as far as Emerald Lake while in port at Skagway. While the scenery may be the same, you never know what you'll find based on weather conditions of the previous winter. We've seen bear on two previous drives and moose on another drive.

For a quick bite in Ketchikan I love the Burger Queen, just the other side of the downtown tunnel. Very popular with the ships crew. Recommended by a local was small fish place very close to Burger Queen on the outside of the tunnel, almost underneath it. Can't remember the name. Was going to eat there last visit but it was closed so I went to Burger Queen instead. When I walked by shortly afterward it was open, the owner had just returned from catching that days fish :)

In Skagway I usually rent a car and head up into the Yukon. Carcross has opened up some small shops and a restaurant that I thought was decent, but it is a pretty basic spot more burgers/hot dog type of things

Thanks, Doug! I was wondering about Burger Queen. I love "dive-y" type places.

The Ketchikan visitors' bureau has a great map for a DIY walking tour. We've used the map twice and take the funicular up to the hotel. They have a few totems up there and lovely landscaping.

We also drive the Klondike Hwy. as far as Emerald Lake while in port at Skagway. While the scenery may be the same, you never know what you'll find based on weather conditions of the previous winter. We've seen bear on two previous drives and moose on another drive.

Looking more at the DIY walking tour. The funicular really looks interesting! Thanks!

Thanks, Doug! I was wondering about Burger Queen. I love "dive-y" type places.

Looking more at the DIY walking tour. The funicular really looks interesting! Thanks!

I enhance the walking tour, by suggesting- from the Fox Lodge, head back down via the Married Man's Trail. IF doing the loop, walk through the city park, and turn right on Deermount. A look at residential life. At the end, turn right, you can take a Dolly's House tour, pay attention to the shower curtain. :)

In Ketchikan a couple cruises ago, DD and I had some time to wander before our bear viewing tour. We went up the funicular and explored and down Married Man's Trail, also spent a short time on Creek Street. Nothing too exciting, but it was certainly enjoyable (especially fun explaining to my then 11-year-old why it was called "Married Man's Trail" LOL).

In Ketchikan, get off the ship early and go have Breakfast at the Pioneer Café. My wife and I have ate here several times and highly recommend it.

Also the SE Alaska Discovery Center is an option especially if its really raining in Ketchikan. I believe its $5 per person.

I like how you are hitting Creek Street.

It looks like we're pretty much figured it out what we're mainly going to do.

In Ketchikan, we're going to do this walking tour and then end up at Burger Queen to order lunch as we relax at the Asylum bar. :)

In Skagway, we'll be doing this walking tour, stopping halfway through it to go to The Days of '98 Show at 10:30, then lunch after (most likely at Skagway Brewing Company), then we continue the rest of our walk.

In both cities, it'll give us time to be leisurely about it and still allow us time to "deviate" from the paths if we wish. :)

However, it anyone has other suggestions for lunch and/or breakfast, I'm all ears! Pioneer Café definitely does intrigue me!

Do you have a link to the DIY walking tour? I can't find it on their website. Thanks!

Do you have a link to the DIY walking tour? I can't find it on their website. Thanks!

I posted a PDF link in my previous comment.

Also, does anyone have any info/links for a DIY walking tour in Icy Strait Point? We're doing a whale watching tour while there, but we'll have most of the afternoon free. I've checked their website, but so far I've found nothing helpful. :(

I posted a PDF link in my previous comment.

Also, does anyone have any info/links for a DIY walking tour in Icy Strait Point? We're doing a whale watching tour while there, but we'll have most of the afternoon free. I've checked their website, but so far I've found nothing helpful. :(

Just walk along the marina, about a mile. Then it's a mix of residential and "community". Pretty easy to just go up and down a few streets to get an idea. Essentially, a walk by a school, medical area, a lot of fishing boats/services. Keep going and there's the airport.

Related question: we are renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake when we are in Skagway in June. Should we plan to eat lunch at Carcross? Other options? Is there a way to take a picnic from the ship?

Hey Aggie Mom, what ship and when in June are you headed to Alaska? Will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on the June 18th sailing. What part of Texas you in? My dad lived in Brownwood, was an Aggie of the class of 42.

Virginia

Related question: we are renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake when we are in Skagway in June. Should we plan to eat lunch at Carcross? Other options? Is there a way to take a picnic from the ship?

Not allowed to take any food off the ship...including coffee....Port regulations....not the ship.

Hey Aggie Mom, what ship and when in June are you headed to Alaska? Will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on the June 18th sailing. What part of Texas you in? My dad lived in Brownwood, was an Aggie of the class of 42.

Virginia

Virginia, we are in Houston. Love talking to "Old Ags" such as your dad. We will be on the Ruby Princess. Enjoy your trip!

• 7 months later...

Does the Ketchikan port have places to shop and eat bot to far from the ship? I will be handling our 2 toddlers at this port while husband goes fishing, so I want to have an idea if there are things I can do not too far from the ship.

Edited by NayaSantaFe
Does the Ketchikan port have places to shop and eat bot to far from the ship? I will be handling our 2 toddlers at this port while husband goes fishing, so I want to have an idea if there are things I can do not too far from the ship.

All three times I've been there, we've docked within very easy walking distance. Check to see where your ship docks. :)