Which power strip to take?

skidawg79

Ok, so in the past i didn't have much to charge, just my phone and camera. Now I have my go pro, ill have my computer to download the videos and i need a power strip. I've been looking on Amazon and everything i am finding seems to have surge protection, which from what I understand will not be allowed on the ship. Does anyone have any suggestions on what power strip to get for my cruise in a month?

I'm looking for a combination of regular outlets and USB ports. (I'm ok buying two if i can't find them on the same strip)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by skidawg79

Just get a 'cheap' outlet splitter or three outlet extension cord. Use plug in USB into the outlets.

Which ship? Most have an Euro 220v, we take a plug adapter. A few older Fantasy class ships have a British 220v outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just get a 'cheap' outlet splitter or three outlet extension cord. Use plug in USB into the outlets.

Which ship? Most have an Euro 220v, we take a plug adapter. A few older Fantasy class ships have a British 220v outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will be on the Magic, and that's a great point. Does it have the Euro outlet?

Thanks Reerun25, i like that one. So I'm guessing your a Clemson fan (based on your icon and being from SC). One request from you guys. Take it easy on us this year, i went to Pitt. haha. I'm actually thinking of flying in from Colorado for the game, always wanted to see a game at Clemson and beings that we won't be down here for another 12 years..here's my shot. lol Good luck this year!

Seriously? EVERY SINGLE TIME a power strip thread comes up, someone always has to chime in with this one. For the BILLIONTH time - it has a surge protector. And surge protectors are not allowed. Perhaps one should make use of the search function on here and see the myriad of threads and responses available on subjects.

Seriously? EVERY SINGLE TIME a power strip thread comes up, someone always has to chime in with this one. For the BILLIONTH time - it has a surge protector. And surge protectors are not allowed. Perhaps one should make use of the search function on here and see the myriad of threads and responses available on subjects.

just saw that...damn. First of all thanks for the heads up about the surge protection on reeruns suggestion. But come on, i ask a question and i get a snarky comments like yours. That's what this forum is for right? asking questions? Just answer the question or don't reply...thanks.

Edited by skidawg79

OK seriously...how about you tell us your approved list of "power strips"...

just saw that...damn. Also, I have and all i read are snarky comments like yours. Just answer the question or don't reply...thanks.

It's not meant to be snarky. It's simply frustration. I realize that not everyone spends a ton of time on here, and may not recall every single thing that gets discussed. But this subject pops up all the time with the same responses on what is and isn't allowed. Some questions can be answered simply by looking at the FAQs on Carnival's website.

I can totally understand wanting opinions and that is what this place is for. However, I feel like sometimes people just aren't comprehending what others say. That particular Belkin surge protector has been discussed to death. I simply cannot understand what part of surge protectors are prohibited people can't comprehend. And it's gets tiresome of hearing people say they have brought them over and over again and never had a problem. Doesn't matter.

I don't bring one. But if I did - it wouldn't have a surge protector and it would look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Heavy-Duty-3-Outlet-54203/dp/B000EU4HBO?ie=UTF8&keywords=power%20splitter&qid=1461510727&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-14

It's not meant to be snarky. It's simply frustration. I realize that not everyone spends a ton of time on here, and may not recall every single thing that gets discussed. But this subject pops up all the time with the same responses on what is and isn't allowed. Some questions can be answered simply by looking at the FAQs on Carnival's website.

I can totally understand wanting opinions and that is what this place is for. However, I feel like sometimes people just aren't comprehending what others say. That particular Belkin surge protector has been discussed to death. I simply cannot understand what part of surge protectors are prohibited people can't comprehend. And it's gets tiresome of hearing people say they have brought them over and over again and never had a problem. Doesn't matter.

Ok, first of all we are cool on the snarkiness. ;-) I do understand the FAQ's on Carnival's website, but that's not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for personal experiences with ones that work well and are allowed on the ship. With that said can you suggest a model or strip that has worked for you?

Ok, first of all we are cool on the snarkiness. ;-) I do understand the FAQ's on Carnival's website, but that's not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for personal experiences with ones that work well and are allowed on the ship. With that said can you suggest a model or strip that has worked for you?

See if this helps:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345437

It is coming off snarky. I have been on a lot of cruises, and I have brought one many...whether or not the one I've brought has had a "surge protector" or just a power strip, I do not know. I have never known it was not allowed. A lot of prohibited items fall in the "common sense" list. For example, no one needs to tell me a toaster isn't allowed. I'd never even think of bringing one.

So this is an item that falls outside of the common sense items. These are used a lot these days because we rely on so many personal electronic devices. So this is one of those, "who would have thought it wasn't allowed?" items.

I skip a lot of conversations like many others because there are a lot of things I have done already and already pretty much have my "system" set. I appreciate the head's up, but simply because it has been discussed many times by many people doesn't mean we have all seen it and have ignored it, and maybe because of that it could be delivered in a

"didja know" fashion instead :)

It might be more helpful to say, "you probably didn't realize this, but they are not allowed, and here's something that would accomplish what you want and still meet the approved list."

fwiw, and thank you for the information.

Hmmm... as far as I know, power strips are on the list of confiscated items during baggage inspections. Do not take one and expect it to be in your luggage. Usually the letter says you can claim your contraband at the end of the cruise.

I have had 2 power strips confiscated (returned at the end of the cruise). The first one my DW packed without my knowledge, the second, I packed without thinking....:confused:

I would take a laptop/tablet etc with USB ports to charge your devices. They only take one power outlet. I always use a three way power plug

(the kind you use for Christmas lights :)) to multiply my power outlets when needed. I pack them in my carry on and so far, never had an issue.

I don't bring one. But if I did - it wouldn't have a surge protector and it would look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Heavy-Duty-3-Outlet-54203/dp/B000EU4HBO?ie=UTF8&keywords=power%20splitter&qid=1461510727&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-14

I did a lot of research on this and bought the 3 prong plug in and a multiport USB charger that does not have a built in surge protector. If you shop on amazon contact the supplier and ask them to confirm that it doesn't have surge protection built into it before you order it. If you tell them why you are asking they are more than happy to help. Remember this is a USCG safety regulation and it's important to the safety of everyone on the ship.

Well, I have been on three cruises, and have taken it on each one, no problem at all.. I plan to take it on my upcoming cruise at the end of May, and don't expect to have any issues. I am sorry my response irritated you so bad, but I was answering the OP's question with real world knowledge. I travel with these, and they work. I have been on the boards for a while, I am familiar with the search function, but I did not need to search for anything in order to share what works for me...

It is coming off snarky. I have been on a lot of cruises, and I have brought one many...whether or not the one I've brought has had a "surge protector" or just a power strip, I do not know. I have never known it was not allowed. A lot of prohibited items fall in the "common sense" list. For example, no one needs to tell me a toaster isn't allowed. I'd never even think of bringing one.

So this is an item that falls outside of the common sense items. These are used a lot these days because we rely on so many personal electronic devices. So this is one of those, "who would have thought it wasn't allowed?" items.

I skip a lot of conversations like many others because there are a lot of things I have done already and already pretty much have my "system" set. I appreciate the head's up, but simply because it has been discussed many times by many people doesn't mean we have all seen it and have ignored it, and maybe because of that it could be delivered in a

"didja know" fashion instead :)

It might be more helpful to say, "you probably didn't realize this, but they are not allowed, and here's something that would accomplish what you want and still meet the approved list."

fwiw, and thank you for the information.

I understand. Now you know. ;)

Hmmm... as far as I know, power strips are on the list of confiscated items during baggage inspections. Do not take one and expect it to be in your luggage. Usually the letter says you can claim your contraband at the end of the cruise.

I have had 2 power strips confiscated (returned at the end of the cruise). The first one my DW packed without my knowledge, the second, I packed without thinking....:confused:

I would take a laptop/tablet etc with USB ports to charge your devices. They only take one power outlet. I always use a three way power plug

(the kind you use for Christmas lights :)) to multiply my power outlets when needed. I pack them in my carry on and so far, never had an issue.

My last "power strip" was not confiscated, and honestly, I can't remember if I had brought one every time. It is often one of those facepalm moments where I forgot to pack one. Anyhoo, I brought this one on the Miracle last year, and it died after the first day:

51H4tRmNlDL._SL1000_.jpg

Well, I have been on three cruises, and have taken it on each one, no problem at all.. I plan to take it on my upcoming cruise at the end of May, and don't expect to have any issues. I am sorry my response irritated you so bad, but I was answering the OP's question with real world knowledge. I travel with these, and they work. I have been on the boards for a while, I am familiar with the search function, but I did not need to search for anything in order to share what works for me...

Perhaps you should read through the links to the threads I posted. Chengpk75 does a wonderful job of explaining why surge protectors are a fire hazard and must not be used. The one you have is mentioned as well.

Thanks Reerun25, i like that one. So I'm guessing your a Clemson fan (based on your icon and being from SC). One request from you guys. Take it easy on us this year, i went to Pitt. haha. I'm actually thinking of flying in from Colorado for the game, always wanted to see a game at Clemson and beings that we won't be down here for another 12 years..here's my shot. lol Good luck this year!

Yes, I am a Clemson fan, so I know I am biased, but if you have the chance to go to Death Valley, take it.. It is a great atmosphere, great views of the surrounding mountains, and the place rocks on game day!