Live Nieuw Amsterdam Inaugural 2016 Cruise to Alaska

Crew News

Just want to let you know...had same issue with additional internet charges. Also went to Neptune lounge to have it removed. Be careful....it is still on my credit card after calls, emails, etc. check your bill because a few things that concierge "credited" are still on there.

Who ever heard of unlimited internet expiring while you are still on board?

Thanks for your review.

The day began at the stroke of midnight and my "expires at end of cruise" unlimited internet access disconnected. When I logged back in, the screen reported that I had just purchased 600 minutes for $199. A call to the Neptune Lounge had the charge removed from the just-received bill.

Beware!!! Unlimited internet ends at midnight. Minutes expire when you are no longer aboard to use them.

With everything packed in our carry-on bags, we waited and waited for our Room Service. After reaching 15 minutes past the latest delivery time, I called and learned that they had an unusually heavy call for Room Service Breakfast. This was not the case on the previous turnaround day in Vancouver. When breakfast arrived nearly one hour late, only half was present which shocked the delivery guy as he checked off the items that were supposed to be on the tray, The balance of our order arrived ten minutes later. This was only the second glitch in Room Service in our 19 days aboard.

The day before we docked, some genius decided to not allow taxis to pickup at the terminal exit and now all passengers needed to go up one level to catch a taxi. With three ships in port at the same time, the taxi passenger line snaked around the front of the Canada Center/Pan Pacific front with hundreds of disgruntled travelers. Fortunately, a MDR waiter pushing Joanie and a great porter brought us with taxi border our luggage to the proper waiting area.

Lesson learned: spend the Disembarkation Day at the Pan Pacific and pickup the rental car the next day before all of the cruise ships disgorge their passengers.

The border crossing was quicker than normal with nearly every car bearing Canadian license plates. Being in the right lane, we had a single crossing gate whereas those in the left approaching lane could branch to five gates.

Lesson learned: keep left as you near the border crossing for a faster crossing.

More later.

So knowing this about the taxi line, would you recommend setting up a private transfer to avoid the line? Or would getting an Uber be a better option as well? Nothing like a stessful, long, irritating line after a wonderful cruise, so really want to avoid this lol

Thanks for everything and now I'm even more excited for our upcoming cruise!!

There is no Uber yet in BC. We are quite regulated. However, they are planning to go at least to Vancouver so you may want to check before you go...the minister responsible doesn't plan to have any regulations in place before the fall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just want to let you know...had same issue with additional internet charges. Also went to Neptune lounge to have it removed. Be careful....it is still on my credit card after calls, emails, etc. check your bill because a few things that concierge "credited" are still on there.

Thanks for your review.

Mine expired last year after midnight on the last day [on the Z'dam] and I didn't need it because I've always carried my 'hot spot' because the speed is much better with only me using it. Coming into port on the last day so far has always been a US port - where I can use my own - to my heart's content.

Thanks for your review.

Thanks for the tip. I did make a screen capture of the billing at 12:02 AM when I logged back in. My fingers will be crossed.

Edited by Crew News

So knowing this about the taxi line, would you recommend setting up a private transfer to avoid the line? Or would getting an Uber be a better option as well? Nothing like a stessful, long, irritating line after a wonderful cruise, so really want to avoid this lol

Thanks for everything and now I'm even more excited for our upcoming cruise!!

I am now seriously considering just staying at the Pan Pacific for the night. During that afternoon heading for the airport, driving the car back for valet parking ($27), and leaving the next morning for Seattle before the first ship docks. That worked a few years ago,

A towncar pickup is also an option that I will look into for next year.

The day before we docked, some genius decided to not allow taxis to pickup at the terminal exit and now all passengers needed to go up one level to catch a taxi. With three ships in port at the same time, the taxi passenger line snaked around the front of the Canada Center/Pan Pacific front with hundreds of disgruntled travelers. Fortunately, a MDR waiter pushing Joanie and a great porter brought us with taxi border our luggage to the proper waiting area.

A while back there was much discussion about the cheap and frequent Skytrain service. The "anti public transport" folk pounced, of course, but there were also many positive comments. I will be the first to admit that public transport isn't convenient for everyone and even for those of us who normally travel on trains it isn't always the best way. I use taxis and limos when it is more convenient.

But if you are travelling light and don't mind rolling your luggage the equivalent of two short blocks the Skytrain is a viable alternative. It is only 10 minutes to the railway station and 25 minutes to the airport. One warning: although there is an entrance to the Skytrain close to the east side of Canada Place there is no down escalator to platform level. It is best to walk around to Waterfront (the former Canadian Pacific Railway) station.

Thanks for your review.

Just checked my credit card account and the additional $199 was deleted by the Neptune Lounge. I declared my "unlimited internet' expiring seven hours before the end of my cruise was unacceptable on my Cruise Survey. Those buying minutes can use the internet until they disembark.

Hi crew news,

Good to hear that the Internet charge was removed! In my case, the Neptune concierge removed it, my shipboard account did not have the additional charge on it, but when we checked the credit card on line, the HAL charge was $199 more. Still waiting for the refund since April 25th. I'm sure it will get handled, but I wonder how many passengers don't pay as much attention or just don't notice it.

Thanks for letting us know yours was taken care of.

K

Thanks for the great review. I will be on NA in Oct. with my high school class and would like to ask you, if possible and not to interfere with your plans, can you get a photo of cabin 8082?

We have 10 cabins in a row booked starting with 8078 and hope to get the veranda dividers open so we can have afternoon gatherings.

Do you know who the MDR manager is?

Thanks in advance and look forward to following your review and seeing the photos. Linda

VA8078 and 8082 stateroom images:

NA-VA8078.jpg

VA8078 above

VA8082 below

NA-VA8082.jpg

As promised, here is the link to my multi-category cabin photographs taken during the "in-transit" phases of my 19 days aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam.

My updated photographic tour will be completed and posted soon.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/

Edited by Crew News

As promised, here is the link to my multi-category cabin photographs taken during the "in-transit" phases of my 19 days aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam.

My updated photographic tour will be completed and posted soon.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/

Amazing! Thank you so very much! Appreciate all that you do here on Cruise Critic for your fellow travelers! <<hugs>>

Thanks again Roger for the time and effort you put into this thread and especially your site. You have helped so many (including me). I can't tell you how many times I have referenced your site to check something pre-trip or in planning a trip.

Looking forward to virtually coming along with you on your next adventure!

You did an amazing job acclimating new travelers! My wife and I are booked on the July 9 Alaska roundtrip and, thanks to you, we know much more about what to expect. One question remains - Is bottled water available in the Neptune Lounge (or anywhere else) at no charge? We drink only bottled water and are considering either bringing a case in our checked luggage or finding a source for bottled water on the ship. We are booked in SA7042 and excited about the first cruise ever! Any advice on what to expect from the Neptune Lounge would also be appreciated! Bill and Sandra

You did an amazing job acclimating new travelers! My wife and I are booked on the July 9 Alaska roundtrip and, thanks to you, we know much more about what to expect. One question remains - Is bottled water available in the Neptune Lounge (or anywhere else) at no charge? We drink only bottled water and are considering either bringing a case in our checked luggage or finding a source for bottled water on the ship. We are booked in SA7042 and excited about the first cruise ever! Any advice on what to expect from the Neptune Lounge would also be appreciated! Bill and Sandra

Welcome to CC and to HAL.

There is a charge for bottled water. You will receive several bottles of "Free" bottled water as well a bottle of sparkling wine with your Neptune Suite. The latest word for HAL is that bottled water needs to be in your carry-on luggage. If you put it in your checked luggage, there are no consequences.

If you check the link above to my HAL cabins, you will be staying in the mirror image of SA7033.

The two Concierges in the Neptune Lounge are exceptional. Ask them and it shall happen. Coordinate your Specialty Dining and Excursions through them.

Turn in our laundry (bag found hanging in the closet) by placing it on your bed before you go to dinner the first evening. Make sure you keep the pink copy. It will be returned the next day. With free laundry, pack only three days of clothing.

I should have my photo review of the Nieuw Amsterdam posted soon.

Feel free to ask questions on this thread. That is one of the reasons that I started it.

Edited by Crew News

I will be on the July 9th RT Vancouver. I tried several searches and couldn't see any discussion about my question. Are there many public announcements on the Nieuw Amsterdam these days? I was last on the NA four years ago and can't remember! I'm hoping there may only be one short one per day from the Captain....I enjoy hearing that information but definitely not a bunch of chatter from the CD or other sales/events people!!

~Nancy

I will be on the July 9th RT Vancouver. I tried several searches and couldn't see any discussion about my question. Are there many public announcements on the Nieuw Amsterdam these days? I was last on the NA four years ago and can't remember! I'm hoping there may only be one short one per day from the Captain....I enjoy hearing that information but definitely not a bunch of chatter from the CD or other sales/events people!!

~Nancy

I remember only three per day: One around midday by the Captain and two (morning and before dinner) by the CD.

Do you know of an alternative to the Tracy Arms excursion? We are waitlisted on it but unlikely that our names will come up.

Any whale watching excursion that includes Mendenhall Glacier would be a good alternative. You are guaranteed to see whales or you get a $100 refund.

Another choice would be a Taku Glacier and Salmon Bake flight:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau/taku-lodge/

Many have seen bears coming to lick the grill after the cooking.