Cruise Critic Community
Dejlig Ko

Change dining option

It's just under 30 days before we board the Koningsdam. We chose anytime dining, but are thinking of changing to a set time. I can't find a link in my booking to accomplish this (I've made the booking and done everything on the HAL site), am I missing something or do I need to call?

Call whomever you booked it through. Call HAL.

Or you could try to change it when you board, by talking to the Maitre "d in the afternoon when you are onboard.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Call whomever you booked it through. Call HAL.

Or you could try to change it when you board, by talking to the Maitre "d in the afternoon when you are onboard.

I would do it now (assuming that you can get it done - the option you want may be full). Less to deal with once onboard, plus it may not be available then.

There isn't any way to do it on line.

You need to call HAL.

Being as you are just a month from sailing, all you can do is try. The person may or may not put you on a wait list. If you don't hear anything by the time you sail, on embarkation day, go and see the dining room manager. Maybe something will open up for you.

It's very easy to move from fixed dining to As you Wish Dining, but moving from As You Wish to fixed can be difficult depending on the demand and how far out is your sailing date.

In your case, just 30 days out, you should call Ship's Services and request early or late fixed seating, table for x. If they say you will be waitlisted, one trick I have used, which usually works, is to visit the Matre'd right after boarding. Greet him with a firm handshake and a palmed $50 bill. That will usually get you the table you want.

It's very easy to move from fixed dining to As you Wish Dining, but moving from As You Wish to fixed can be difficult depending on the demand and how far out is your sailing date.

In your case, just 30 days out, you should call Ship's Services and request early or late fixed seating, table for x. If they say you will be waitlisted, one trick I have used, which usually works, is to visit the Matre'd right after boarding. Greet him with a firm handshake and a palmed $50 bill. That will usually get you the table you want.

Please find a different vacation venue where bribery is encouraged.

It's just a pre tip isn't it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I usually tip the wine steward and the Matre'd at the end of my cruise. I see no problem giving the matre'd his gratuity at the beginning of the cruise. He knows that I'm not going to stiff him like may people do, and he is always looking out to make sure my table (fixed, late seating) is ready with dinner rolls, and my favorite beverage.

I usually tip the wine steward and the Matre'd at the end of my cruise. I see no problem giving the matre'd his gratuity at the beginning of the cruise. He knows that I'm not going to stiff him like may people do, and he is always looking out to make sure my table (fixed, late seating) is ready with dinner rolls, and my favorite beverage.

Hate to burst your bubble but they put rolls on everyone's table :D.

One more time... if you pay your service charge, you are NOT stiffing the steward, the maitre d', or anyone else. You may choose to tip individuals extra, but that's totally your choice. I have been extremely happy with the service I receive on HAL ships, and I do not "pre-tip" to purchase that service. They're just that good.

exactly where is the dining room manager stationed.....we have been interested in the past in changing from fixed to open dining on our Princess cruises but when we went to dining room on first day of cruise the dining room doors were closed and no staff anywhere in sight.....is there a HAL desk/staff outside the dining room or will the door being opened or do I need to open the door......just wondering

The problem, of course, is that a "tip" is given in appreciation of an extra service rendered. Paying someone in advance to do something is a bribe. Now there are places where bribery is part of the culture. But not on cruise ships. Not yet. And most of us would like to keep it that way.

We also always choose fixed main dining. And, after the first night, the things we need are almost always on the table when we arrive. No bribery necessary. But, of course, a nice appreciative tip on the final night.