Best Strategy for driving the Klondike Highway from Skagway?

flatlander321

Is it better to pick up the rental car early and drive to Carcross/Caribou Crossing early before the giant tour buses arrive? We're stopping at Caribou Crossing for everything except the plate lunch; i.e. the husky puppies, the taxidermy museum, and the other animals. After that we'll turn around at Emerald Lake. At some point, we're likely to have an ice cream cone for lunch in carcross. We'll eat a big breakfast on the ship and bring some protein snacks (beef jerky, spam snacks, etc.), but ice cream for lunch on vacation, yes!

The other option is to intentionally go later in the morning and arrive after the tour buses have left. Our port time is 7am-8pm.

The other consideration is light for photos. I'm an amateur photographer and plan to take plenty of of hopefully, good photos on the trip, but I don't want to fight the light.

EdIt: we're leaving in 2 weeks and will be in Skagway on May 20. I have Murray's guide from last summer, but will ask for an update this week.

Edited by flatlander321

Can't help you with timing - except to say that you will only be able to leave Skagway after you get your car. Others here have reported long lines at the rental car places.

I can say the best ice cream is in the store accross from the WY&Y RR station - it is also where you can stamp your passport.

I also think that Murrays' guide from even a few years ago would still be good - things don't change all that much up there

Is it better to pick up the rental car early and drive to Carcross/Caribou Crossing early before the giant tour buses arrive? We're stopping at Caribou Crossing for everything except the plate lunch; i.e. the husky puppies, the taxidermy museum, and the other animals. After that we'll turn around at Emerald Lake. At some point, we're likely to have an ice cream cone for lunch in carcross. We'll eat a big breakfast on the ship and bring some protein snacks (beef jerky, spam snacks, etc.), but ice cream for lunch on vacation, yes!

The other option is to intentionally go later in the morning and arrive after the tour buses have left. Our port time is 7am-8pm.

The other consideration is light for photos. I'm an amateur photographer and plan to take plenty of of hopefully, good photos on the trip, but I don't want to fight the light.

EdIt: we're leaving in 2 weeks and will be in Skagway on May 20. I have Murray's guide from last summer, but will ask for an update this week.

We picked up our car for the drive and didn't intend to go behind the tour buses, but it worked out that way since we stopped so many times. We lingered a lot on the way and arrived each stop after the buses had left. When we had lunch the restaurant was empty except for us and they told us it had been crazy just 30 minutes before. Same thing when we saw the sled dogs. Since we were behind the buses, we didn't have to rush through anything. So, it was an unintentional good decision for us! :D

Enjoy!

I wondered also the same questions. Is anyone able to comment on the best time for pictures at emerald lake? Should we go to dyea on the way out or wait until we come back.

Are you renting from Avis? When I rented from them, they wouldn't allow you to take the care to Dyea. It may have changed--it's been a few years. Be sure to check before you make plans.

We picked up our car for the drive and didn't intend to go behind the tour buses, but it worked out that way since we stopped so many times. We lingered a lot on the way and arrived each stop after the buses had left. When we had lunch the restaurant was empty except for us and they told us it had been crazy just 30 minutes before. Same thing when we saw the sled dogs. Since we were behind the buses, we didn't have to rush through anything. So, it was an unintentional good decision for us! :D

Thanks for this post! My biggest concern about stopping along the way was that it would eventually put us with a huge crowd of people. We want to go slow and take in the beauty, but don't like the idea of getting behind a lot of tour buses. Hopefully if we do get behind, we will end up as you did.

I just googled the question "Best time of day for photo of Emerald Lake". Of course the obvious is to have good sunshine to make the colors more vibrant, but the best time is in mid to late morning when the sun is behind you. Later in the day, the sun will shine in your eyes. I'm an amateur photographer as well and hoping for a good photo. Praying for a sunny day! We will be there a few days after you on May 24th.

What kind of stamp for your passport? Putting an unofficial stamp in your official passport is never a good idea.

Yes, but it us a great conversation piece. I cannot tell you how many delightful conversations I have had with passport control officers from Vancouver to London, from NY to Peru over my Yukon Passport Stamp.

I will join here, as we are interested...

We have reserved with AVIS, and it seems that this year they are opening at 7:00a.m. instead of 8:00a.m. If, in the past, lines have formed before 8:00a.m. with those who want to get an early start, I think maybe they are now responding to that.

I am also interested in the Skagway Overlook. Is this well marked? Are there any other pull-offs or side roads that we might want to know about?

We want to get an early start, and the info about Emerald Lake, possibly, being better with the A.M. lighting is useful!

When we were in Kauai, we learned that it is best to leave early, and go all the way to the scenic overlooks FIRST, and then take it slower and stop at more pull-offs on the way back. That was excellent advice. And these details are what I love about web-sites like CC and TA!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Do you know if Avis bans their cars from the Skagway Overlook as well? It's off of Dyea road close to the Klondike Highway.

I read through Murray's road guide, again, and found the answer. The first 1.8 miles of Dyea road is paved then partially gravel after that. The scenic overlook is at the 1.4 mile point on Dyea road so Avis shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks bluewater1298, morning makes sense as the best time for Emerald lake considering it's on the west side of the highway. Good luck with weather on your day in port at Skagway.

Edited by flatlander321