Jump to content

All Things Avalon


FuelScience
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Thanks, I am only packing 1 outfit per day but will be traveling 17 days and it is Vietnam during the hot, wet season.

Can we bring our own alcohol on the ship?  

 

Avalon in Asia I believe has an open bar all day, not just at meals. (I did Myanmar with them in 2018.)

 

Don’t travel with 17 outfits, even though hot weather stuff is pretty light. It takes almost nothing to rinse out a top and hang it to dry, and it will dry quickly. And don’t bring outfits, bring stuff that will mix and match. When I did Vietnam and Cambodia with AMA in 2017, I was gone for 3 full weeks, with a baggage limit of 20 kg. It is very doable. 

46 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

 

 

Don’t travel with 17 outfits, even though hot weather stuff is pretty light. It takes almost nothing to rinse out a top and hang it to dry, and it will dry quickly. And don’t bring outfits, bring stuff that will mix and match. When I did Vietnam and Cambodia with AMA in 2017, I was gone for 3 full weeks, with a baggage limit of 20 kg. It is very doable. 

 

I agree with this...we did our cruise with 18" carry-on's, washed out tops in the morning, they were fine by the next day.  We also used those space saver bags you squeeze all the air out (enabled us to almost pack without having to wash, I think we only washed one or two tops each).  We also did some of our journey on the trains so wanted to have as little to carry as possible.  

 

Don't forget, you will be travelling in warmer weather, so thinner & light clothes also dry faster!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm looking at Avalon's Tulip Time Highlights in March 2021.  There's an 8 day option and a 9 day leaving from Brussels.  The 9 day includes a 1 night stay in Brussels, and is about $250 more.  Does anyone know which hotel Avalon uses?  The reason I'm asking is that if it's not in or within walking distance of the city center, I'll do a hotel on my own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm looking at Avalon's Tulip Time Highlights in March 2021.  There's an 8 day option and a 9 day leaving from Brussels.  The 9 day includes a 1 night stay in Brussels, and is about $250 more.  Does anyone know which hotel Avalon uses?  The reason I'm asking is that if it's not in or within walking distance of the city center, I'll do a hotel on my own.

Roz, there's a "Hotel" tab on left margin of the details page.  It's the Sofitel Le Louise and, according to the map in the website, it looks very central.  Should be a great location. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Roz, there's a "Hotel" tab on left margin of the details page.  It's the Sofitel Le Louise and, according to the map in the website, it looks very central.  Should be a great location. 

 

 

 

Thanks, Kenster.  I'm new to Avalon and still learning my way around the website.  I'll take a second look.  I'm familiar with Sofitel and they're a good hotel chain based on my experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roz, another great option Avalon has is the Excursion tab, on the same area as the Hotel tab.  It gives you an idea of what costs are (if you are looking at 2021, then select the 2020 site for pricing, key in the closest date to the  the one you are looking for), so you will know what a rough price will be,  It can help with deciding which optional tour you may like to take, and you can pre-pay so no extra costs on the credit card when you get home!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, Kenster said:

They don’t monitor or care if you bring your own alcohol. Just remember that beer and wine are free- and free flowing- at lunch and dinner. Prosecco/ mimosas at breakfast, too. 
The wines are excellent and reflect the area you’re sailing through. A red/ white/ and blush, as well as a Sparking, are available every night. 
 

Reconsider packing a different outfit for every day. Mix and match.  Repeat every other day or so. No one will notice.  No one will care.  
We do 10-14 day cruises with a 20 inch carryon, and a little tote bag each.  
 

Don’t forget your electrical adapters. And an extension cord! 

Mimosas at breakfast!  Now that's how all days should start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Daisi said:

Roz, another great option Avalon has is the Excursion tab, on the same area as the Hotel tab.  It gives you an idea of what costs are (if you are looking at 2021, then select the 2020 site for pricing, key in the closest date to the  the one you are looking for), so you will know what a rough price will be,  It can help with deciding which optional tour you may like to take, and you can pre-pay so no extra costs on the credit card when you get home!

 

21 hours ago, Kenster said:

Roz, there's a "Hotel" tab on left margin of the details page.  It's the Sofitel Le Louise and, according to the map in the website, it looks very central.  Should be a great location. 

 

 

 

I went back and took a second look at the website and found the items you pointed out.  The reason I didn't see the Brussels hotel was I hadn't checked the 9-day Brussels to Amsterdam itinerary.  It was showing the 8-day Amsterdam to Brussels.  Duh!  I like the idea of pre-paying anything I can.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Does the Siem Reap have a hot tub? 

I don't have an answer about the Siem Reap, but we didn't have one on the Avalon Myanmar which is the same size. And it isn't listed as an amenity.

 

I did use the pool we had on the AmaDara on the Mekong once; I think maybe a dozen people of the 150 or so passengers ever went in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

considering the avalon illumination 11 Night - Active & Discovery on the Danube with 3 Nights in Prague in June 2020 as a first time river cruise ... has anyone done this one?  Anything I must know?  It seems like a very good value for money

compared to others like AMAwaterways and Uniworld .... are these similar lines, trips, excursions, food? Or am I very mistaken?  Thank for any advice you can offer.

 

I am headed to Europe for a wedding in Italy and hoping to do a 30th wedding anniversary trip before or after that occasion.  I prefer to NOT vacation in Italy and have always wanted to see Prague and Budapest.

 

Thank you for your insight!

Rachel

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t done this trip but would encourage you to read the sticky at the top of this board for new river cruisers. Avalon includes beer and wine at lunch and dinner and offers sparkling at breakfast. If you want hard alcohol (spirits) you have to pay for each drink, although there is a happy hour during which the drink of the day is 2 for 1. I think AMAwaterways and Uniworld may include more things than Avalon does, but I’m not positive on this. I have done two Avalon cruises and have been very happy with all aspects including food, service, included things, excursions, etc. I was very impressed with how Avalon handled a high water situation on the Seine in 2016. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You would really have to look into the differences between the 3 lines.  All have included excursions, Avalon does have extra ones available that you can either pay for ahead of time or while on board, not sure if AMA and Uniworld have more than the one included tour per day.

 

Food is often a personal opinion, so I won't comment on that other than the one line we have sailed with (Avalon) did have great food (our opinion) and we really appreciated being able to try new foods and if we didn't care for it, they would bring us something else.  One night after dinner, my DH looked at my desert (he had ordered something different) and mentioned that it looked good...next thing we knew, one was being placed in front of him!

 

As for drinks, Avalon has beer & wine and soft drinks (we didn't find any problems with the various wines paired with our meals) for lunch & dinner, ice tea, coffee & hot chocolate available at all times, and a 1/2 price cocktail hour (usually during the daily briefing).  I don't know what other drinks are available on the other lines other than I believe wine & beer are available at all times.

 

The best thing to do is look at the itineraries and see where you wish to go, and compare what tours you may miss if you go on another line.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rachelfran said:

considering the avalon illumination 11 Night - Active & Discovery on the Danube with 3 Nights in Prague in June 2020 as a first time river cruise ... has anyone done this one?  Anything I must know?  It seems like a very good value for money

compared to others like AMAwaterways and Uniworld .... are these similar lines, trips, excursions, food? Or am I very mistaken?  Thank for any advice you can offer.

 

I am headed to Europe for a wedding in Italy and hoping to do a 30th wedding anniversary trip before or after that occasion.  I prefer to NOT vacation in Italy and have always wanted to see Prague and Budapest.

 

Thank you for your insight!

Rachel

 

I did this cruise inMay 2018 as also as a first time River cruise. I was solo and I had a great time! I am a beader so I loved Prague. I posted lots of pictures from onboard so just look at my posts under MagnoliaNC. I did not want it to be over!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Today is a GREAT day!  I just received notification from Avalon that it's "Time to Get Ready" for my May 6-13, 2020 Tulip Time cruise.  Now I can check out their optional excursions and start planning how to best get the most out of the cruise.  WooHoo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm considering a solo European cruise on Avalon in early September 2020, to celebrate my 60th birthday. If I want to be on a cruise on my actual birthday, the pickings are slim (for no single supplement). Does Avalon do anything special to celebrate birthdays? I'm wondering if I should expand my search and cruise the month after my birthday. October has more options. I'm not that particular about where I cruise, except not the Danube, because I've toured that area recently. Any opinions?

 

P. S. This will be my first river cruise, but I've done many ocean cruises and escorted tours.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm considering a solo European cruise on Avalon in early September 2020, to celebrate my 60th birthday. If I want to be on a cruise on my actual birthday, the pickings are slim (for no single supplement). Does Avalon do anything special to celebrate birthdays? I'm wondering if I should expand my search and cruise the month after my birthday. October has more options. I'm not that particular about where I cruise, except not the Danube, because I've toured that area recently. Any opinions?

 

P. S. This will be my first river cruise, but I've done many ocean cruises and escorted tours.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your waiter knows it’s your birthday (or anniversary) they’ll bring you a special dessert and your table mates can sing to you. You can celebrate your birthday without it actually being on your birthday. They’re not going to ID you. 
choose a cruise that fits your calendar and wallet and celebrate your birthday whenever.   
 

Touring the Danube Area is not the same as cruising it. We’ve actually cruised the Danube twice (both directions) and it was a little different both times. But if you don’t want to hit that region again, try Zurich (Basel) to Amsterdam. Rhine River. Or Rhine and Moselle. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...