All Things Avalon

FuelScience

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Just a curious question for those who have taken the Avalon extensions.  We are doing the Budapest to Prague next May, and are wondering what type of hotel room we will get. 

When I did the Danube out of Budapest, we were to meet everyone at the InterContinental Budapest on the river. I was under the impression that's where the other passengers stayed that did the pre-ceuise extension.

I can't be absolutely certain because my flight was late and I had to take a $130 taxi ride about an hour away to catch the ship. That was the hotel where we were supposed to meet all the other passengers and bus over to the dock an hour away because the water was too low for them to get into Budapest. The hotel was able to contact the ship for us thank goodness, and the cruise director reimbursed me for the taxi ride.

19 hours ago, Daisi said:

Just a curious question for those who have taken the Avalon extensions.  We are doing the Budapest to Prague next May, and are wondering what type of hotel room we will get.  

Thanks all

This is our first time with Avalon (Budapest to Nuremberg).  We booked a pre-cruise extension and they told us they had 2 hotels in Budapest they generally use: The InterContinental Budapest in downtown and the Budapest Marriott across the river. Since I have lots of free upgrades with Marriott, I asked if we could get our rooms there. They agreed and booked us at the Marriott. I then contacted the hotel directly and applied for one of my remaining Suite Nights upgrades, which they accepted. As for getting airfare and desired seats through Avalon, I told them what cabin or fare class I wanted, they assigned seats in the general area I asked for, which I later changed through the airline for better choices that were still available. So far, so good, other than Hungary not yet accepting US citizens with only 25 days to go until we fly out to BUD.

Thanks for your replies, but I am wondering about the type of room.  I am wondering if they give you a room with a view or just any room.  Just curious, as we don't plan to spend much more time in our hotel room than we do in our cabin.  We arranged our own hotels last time for the pre & post cruise days so never knew what type of room you got.

Airfare is not a problem for us, last time we mentioned at booking that we may be interested in their air, and Avalon contacted our TA when they were booking to give her a quote. Since it beat any we could find, we took it and then I went and chose our seats.  This time we had a guaranteed price for air, so went ahead and said we would go through them...then Covid hit.  When we re-booked, we got free air, and now just waiting to hear on our route and when they ticket it so we can go in and re-book.

• 1 month later...

Hi, We are on Blue Danube Discovery October 20. We have 2 day extension pre-cruise in Budapest. Does anyone know what is included in Avalon’s included excursion? We need to plan something to do the day we arrive and don’t want to duplicate what we’ll be doing the next day on the Avalon excursion.