Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

The river Moselle infos and river cruising experiences

We visited Burg Eltz last summer while on our Crystal Bach cruise.  It was a highlight of the trip!  Such a beautiful castle!

We visited Burg Eltz last summer while on our Crystal Bach cruise.  It was a highlight of the trip!  Such a beautiful castle!

I look forward to doing this trip just before my bike and barge trip, now rescheduled for September 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eltz castle - just a short video to give you an impression of what it looks like. Please do not tell the Chinese it looks magical. And I hope the Japanese never put it in a manga comic :classic_wink:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRD7hx_TDfE

Of course, you can also look up Rick Steve's video of the Moselle valley, in which it features Eltz castle.

notamermaid

With the Moselle increasing in popularity for river cruising, Trier had reached docking capacity for the ships and had to turn down many requests to dock. In March, the town council approved the building of two more docking spaces. Those two will be managed by Trier town council, the other five along the banks are private. Here is the short article in German: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/trier/meldung-45158.html

A map on another website (subscription pages) suggests that the places will be in Trier-Nord, about 1.6 kilometers to walk to Porta Nigra and the old town. Completion date not known to me.

notamermaid

On 5/20/2020 at 9:10 AM, notamermaid said:

With the Moselle increasing in popularity for river cruising, Trier had reached docking capacity for the ships and had to turn down many requests to dock. In March, the town council approved the building of two more docking spaces. Those two will be managed by Trier town council, the other five along the banks are private. Here is the short article in German: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/trier/meldung-45158.html

A map on another website (subscription pages) suggests that the places will be in Trier-Nord, about 1.6 kilometers to walk to Porta Nigra and the old town. Completion date not known to me.

notamermaid

Thanks, I never understood why Vantage bused us to Trier from near Bernkastel for our day tour of the city, then on our 'free' day, the boat was parked in Schweich.  It made for a nice bike ride to Trier, maybe 20 km's on the bike path, but I'm sure that the people who didn't pay extra money to go Luxembourg would have rather walked off the boat in Trier, and not Schweich.

Let us have a look at the river in Luxembourg. I found this video on youtube. It is commissioned by the Luxembourg authorities, so essentially a business marketing video, but with lots of lovely footage of the river - and a few facts beyond what describes the transport waterway that I did not now. And a quick shot of the landing stage in Grevenmacher for river cruise ships as well as the port of Remich.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

Viva River Cruises have just announced that their new Moselle itinerary for 2021 will also stop at Traben-Trarbach. So let us have a look at this small town on both sides of the river: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traben-Trarbach

https://www.traben-trarbach.de/en/welcome_to_traben-trarbach.html

Famous is the distinctive bridge gate, together with its numerous Art Nouveau buildings that give the town a somewhat elegant feel and distinguish it from its more medieval neighbour Bernkastel-Kues. Its wealth reflected in the buildings stems from its former status as a wine trading centre. It still retains wine cellars and vineyards of note. The underground vaults in Advent and after Christmas are the setting for an unusual Christmas market experience that attracts people from the whole region.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering, it also has a castle. :classic_biggrin: Two ruins in fact and a ruined fortress, that one designed by the the famous Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban.

notamermaid

Interesting town to visit as I have stayed overnight there several times while driving myself on a vacation but that was many years ago.  On a GCT cruise several years ago I skipped the optioned trip to Luxembourg and stayed on the ship to enjoy the time cruising which stopped at Traben Trarbach for a couple of hours to wait for the bus that took some of the people to Luxembourg so I got to revisit again.

Here is an unexpected "event" that had been postponed due to social distancing regulations: the annual maintenance of the locks on the Moselle and Saar rivers. Normally taking place in Spring, this year it is from 21 to 30 September. This is the German authorities' info: https://www.wsa-mosel-saar-lahn.wsv.de/SharedDocs/Kurzmeldungen/Webs/WSA/WSA_Mosel_Saar_Lahn/20200918_Schleusensperre.html;jsessionid=308838E6072D520750263A228298B23C.live21304

More importantly, you might be wondering about scheduled river cruise itineraries. This year is adjusting at short notice for everyone and I do not know when the engineers and relevant organisation decided on the new date. For normal years the maintenance schedule is published always two or three years in advance. River cruise companies have lots of time to plan accordingly.

notamermaid

Heard about this too. The river level is lowered by 1.5 m. Not sure whether this is still enough water for the river cruise ships.

steamboats

On 9/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, steamboats said:

Heard about this too. The river level is lowered by 1.5 m. Not sure whether this is still enough water for the river cruise ships.

steamboats

It is not enough depth for most river cruise ships as the guaranteed depth is 3.00m, so it leaves 1.5m. But the lowering of the water level is only one section around Lehmen. As the locks are officially closed hardly any ships sail - cruise or commercial barge - during this time. It is not possible to have a proper itinerary as it affects more or less the whole river at the same time.

notamermaid

While the Moselle valley is undoubtedly a very appealing landscape all year round, many people say it is loveliest in early Autumn. We are not quite there yet for Autumn colours, but the peaches were already ripe and the vines full of grapes getting close to harvesting when Deutsche Welle went cycling to Traben-Trarbach and Cochem: https://m.dw.com/en/cycling-along-the-moselle/av-55050589

notamermaid

Thanks for the link, a perfect way to do some armchair traveling. I have in fact rented a bike in T.T. and biked along the Moselle, though not as far as Cochem. Brought back great memories.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

While the Moselle valley is undoubtedly a very appealing landscape all year round, many people say it is loveliest in early Autumn. We are not quite there yet for Autumn colours, but the peaches were already ripe and the vines full of grapes getting close to harvesting when Deutsche Welle went cycling to Traben-Trarbach and Cochem: https://m.dw.com/en/cycling-along-the-moselle/av-55050589

notamermaid

If all goes well, I'll be on a barge and cycle from Cochem to Metz next September. Some barge travel between places, but cycling along the Moselle. We also have a day to do the rail trail (Maare Mosel) from Daun to Bernkastel-Kues.

Edited by gnome12

On 10/1/2020 at 9:57 PM, gnome12 said:

If all goes well, I'll be on a barge and cycle from Cochem to Metz next September. Some barge travel between places, but cycling along the Moselle. We also have a day to do the rail trail (Maare Mosel) from Daun to Bernkastel-Kues.

It is such a pity that you could not sail this year, I was really looking forward to your comments and possibly a review on your trip. I really like the itinerary. We have talked about your plan of doing the cycle path before, it is an attractive one through a nice landscape and an unusual one at that because of the volcanic lakes called Maar(s): https://www.mosellandtouristik.de/en/cycling-hiking/cycling/cycle-paths/cycle-paths/maare-mosel-cycle-trail/

notamermaid

I bought a jar of peach jam at a market last week and thought of that lovely cake in the video by Deutsche Welle again. It would be nice to get to Cochem but I fear the cake will be all gone by now.

It is so long ago that I posted about the vineyard peaches that perhaps those that are new to this thread or the area might appreciate this article and short video: https://www.ferienland-cochem.de/en/wine/metropolis-of-the-red-moselle-vineyard-peach

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
clarification