Wilma is now a Cat. 4!!!

wrp96

She's now over 150 mph and has the 5th lowest pressure on record.

WTNT34 KNHC 190552

TCPAT4

BULLETIN

HURRICANE WILMA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 15A

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

2 AM EDT WED OCT 19 2005

...WILMA BECOMES AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE...

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE EAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN

PENINSULA FROM CABO CATOCHE TO PUNTA GRUESA.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT IN CUBA FOR THE PROVINCES OF

MATANZAS WESTWARD THROUGH PINAR DEL RIO...AND FOR THE ISLE OF

YOUTH. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE

POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR HONDURAS FROM THE

HONDURAS/NICARAGUA BORDER WESTWARD TO CABO CAMARON.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR

THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.

ALL INTERESTS IN THE FLORIDA KEYS AND THE FLORIDA PENINSULA SHOULD

CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF WILMA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 2 AM EDT...0600Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 17.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 82.2 WEST OR ABOUT 170 MILES...

270 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF GRAND CAYMAN AND ABOUT 400 MILES...640

KM...SOUTHEAST OF COZUMEL MEXICO.

WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR. A

TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 150 MPH...240 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. WILMA IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON

THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. THE HURRICANE COULD BECOME A CATEGORY

FIVE HURRICANE TODAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES...30 KM...

FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP

TO 155 MILES...250 KM. NOAA BUOY 42057 RECENTLY REPORTED A WIND GUST

TO NEAR 60 MPH...96 KM/HR.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE JUST REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE

RECONNAISSANCE PLANE WAS IS 901 MB...26.61 INCHES.

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 15

INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS NEAR 25 INCHES IN MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN

ACROSS CUBA THROUGH FRIDAY. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5

TO 10 INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE

ACROSS THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...SWAN ISLAND...AND JAMAICA THROUGH

THURSDAY. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...WITH

ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE FROM HONDURAS

NORTHWARD TO THE YUCATAN PENINSULA OF MEXICO THROUGH THURSDAY.

REPEATING THE 2 AM EDT POSITION...17.0 N... 82.2 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150

MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...901 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT

5 AM EDT.

FORECASTER AVILA

Wtnt44 Knhc 190506

Tcdat4

Hurricane Wilma Special Discussion Number 15

Nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl

1 Am Edt Wed Oct 19 2005

This Special Advisory Is To Update The Initial And The Forecast

Intensity Of Wilma. An Air Force Plane Just Measured 162 Knots At

850 Mb And A Minimum Pressure Of 901 Mb In A Pinhole Eye. Wilma Is

Now A Very Strong Category Four Hurricane And Could Become A

Category Five Today.

Wtnt34 Knhc 190835

Tcpat4

Bulletin

Hurricane Wilma Advisory Number 16

Nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl

5 Am Edt Wed Oct 19 2005

...air Force Reconnaissance Plane Reported 884 Mb...the Lowest

Minimum Pressure Ever Measured In A Hurricane In The Atlantic

Basin...this Value Should Be Used With Caution Until Calibrated...

A Hurricane Watch Is In Effect For The East Coast Of The Yucatan

Peninsula From Cabo Catoche To Punta Gruesa.

A Hurricane Watch Remains In Effect In Cuba For The Provinces Of

Matanzas Westward Through Pinar Del Rio...and For The Isle Of

Youth. A Hurricane Watch Means That Hurricane Conditions Are

Possible Within The Watch Area...generally Within 36 Hours.

A Tropical Storm Warning Remains In Effect For Honduras From The

Honduras/nicaragua Border Westward To Cabo Camaron.

A Tropical Storm Warning And A Hurricane Watch Remain In Effect For

The Cayman Islands.

All Interests In The Florida Keys And The Florida Peninsula Should

Closely Monitor The Progress Of Extremely Dangerous Hurricane Wilma.

For Storm Information Specific To Your Area...including Possible

Inland Watches And Warnings...please Monitor Products Issued

By Your Local Weather Office.

At 5 Am Edt...0900z...the Center Of Hurricane Wilma Was Located Near

Latitude 17.2 North...longitude 82.5 West Or About 170 Miles...

270 Km...south-southwest Of Grand Cayman And About 365 Miles...

590 Km...southeast Of Cozumel Mexico.

Wilma Is Moving Toward The West-northwest Near 8 Mph...13 Km/hr. A

Turn Toward The Northwest Is Expected During The Next 24 Hours.

Maximum Sustained Winds Are Near 175 Mph...280 Km/hr...with Higher

Gusts. Wilma Is A Catastrophic Category Five Hurricane On The

Saffir-simpson Scale. Some Fluctuations In Intensity Are Expected

During The Next 24 Hours.

Hurricane Force Winds Extend Outward Up To 15 Miles... 30 Km...

From The Center...and Tropical Storm Force Winds Extend Outward Up

To 160 Miles...260 Km.

An Air Force Plane Just Measured A Minimum Central Pressure Of 884

Mb...26.10 Inches. This Is The Lowest Pressure Ever Recorded In A

Hurricane In The Atlantic Basin. However...this Pressure Value

Should Be Used With Caution Until It Is Fully Calibrated.

Wilma Is Expected To Produce Storm Total Accumulations Of 10 To 15

Inches...with Local Amounts Near 25 Inches In Mountainous Terrain

Across Cuba Through Friday. Additional Rainfall Accumulations Of 5

To 10 Inches...with Local Amounts Of 15 Inches...are Possible

Across The Cayman Islands...swan Island...and Jamaica Through

Thursday. Storm Total Accumulations Of 4 To 6 Inches...with

Isolated Amounts Of 8 To 12 Inches...are Possible From Honduras

Northward To The Yucatan Peninsula Of Mexico Through Thursday.

Repeating The 5 Am Edt Position...17.2 N... 82.5 W. Movement

Toward...west-northwest Near 8 Mph. Maximum Sustained Winds...175

Mph. Minimum Central Pressure... 884 Mb.

An Intermediate Advisory Will Be Issued By The National Hurricane

Center At 8 Am Edt Followed By The Next Complete Advisory At 11 Am

Edt.

Forecaster Avila

It figures, My wife and I are departing on Explorer of the Seas next Sunday(10/23/05) from Miami! This will be my first cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Our flight leaves NYC Sunday Morning. I was thinking of changing the flight for the day before, incase the airport closes on Sunday. But then we'd be in harms way if the storm is massive. Does any one know Royal Caribbean's policy? Do they cancel cruises?

Thanks!

Tom:confused:

I haven't seen any cruises cancelled. Instead the cruise lines return late or leave early, even leave and return to different ports, if needed. It is really too early to know where Wilma will go, but only a small shift in direction can make the difference. Keep a watch both on the weather and RCI's website. Last year we were safely cruising the Mississippi while a hurricane was aimed at Miami...we ended up stranded in New Orleans, unable to fly into Miami. But at least we got home earlier the next day than people were able to depart Miami, because all the planes had been removed from MIA so no one could depart until we, and others, arrived.

I just wish i knew what RCCL is planning for our Soverign cruise that leaves on Friday... We are a group of 14 and everyone is calling me because I am the "planner" of the group.

If you're leaving on Friday then you will be fine. At this point the storm will still be near the Cuba/Mexico area on Friday. She would have to really speed up to affect your departure.

I just wish i knew what RCCL is planning for our Soverign cruise that leaves on Friday... We are a group of 14 and everyone is calling me because I am the "planner" of the group.
I would think you would be fine for a Friday departure from Port Canaveral. Wilma is not projected to hit the Florida gulf coast until late Saturday night. What may be in question is your return on Monday. You might just get an extended cruise. ;) I hope not though because I have a friend scheduled for the Monday 4-nighter on Soverign.

I am now freaking out-this has been such a stressful 2 weeks, my husband had carpal tunnel surgery OCt 4 and then his other wrist on the 11, then he had vertigo for 4days, now that is better. He now has a toothache and will see the dentist tommorrow am. Also 2 of my kids had strep throat!

NOW a hurricane-we are leaving Sat am from NC to head to Port Canaveral to go on the Mariner on Sunday 10/23. I guess we will pass everyone evacuating from Fla. I called RCCL and they told me just to keep checking their website. I thought the worst case scenario would be our ship will be delayed a day. Now I am hoping that I will not ride out a Cat 5 hurricane at the Raddisson at Port CanaveraL! Any one else leaving this Sat/Sun-What are your plans?

We will be on the Mariner on the 23rd also. Well, I hope so anyway. We are driving down from South Carolina on Saturday. This has me worried somewhat but you never know what track it might take or if it will lose most of its strength by the weekend. I'm praying for the best and trying to think positive. Either way, I think the ship will sail either way maybe with some delays-that doesn't bother me-as long as it departs to anywhere,we will be having fun!!We were on the maiden voyage in 11/03 and loved every second!!

I am now freaking out-this has been such a stressful 2 weeks, my husband had carpal tunnel surgery OCt 4 and then his other wrist on the 11, then he had vertigo for 4days, now that is better. He now has a toothache and will see the dentist tommorrow am. Also 2 of my kids had strep throat!

NOW a hurricane-we are leaving Sat am from NC to head to Port Canaveral to go on the Mariner on Sunday 10/23. I guess we will pass everyone evacuating from Fla. I called RCCL and they told me just to keep checking their website. I thought the worst case scenario would be our ship will be delayed a day. Now I am hoping that I will not ride out a Cat 5 hurricane at the Raddisson at Port CanaveraL! Any one else leaving this Sat/Sun-What are your plans?

Wilma is expected to drop to a category two storm when she makes landfall on the west coast of Florida. Of course that can change but I would suggest taking a deep breath and relax. It is not worth getting worked up about. I dealt with the same thing last year and things will work out.

We are scheduled to fly to Ft Lauderdale on Sunday and leave on the Enchantment on Monday. I am just watching the weather channel, RCCL website, e-mailing my TA, and PRAYING!!! I know this is the risk we take when traveling during the hurricane season but I did not expect any activity in late October. My main concern is just getting on the ship. We can just have 5 sea days and that will be just fine with me!

chubby faye---check out our rollcall on the Rollcall boards under Enchantment. I am also scheduled for that sailing. I plan to fly into FLL Sat. AM (hopefully) My parents live there so they are keeping me updated. Hopefully we will sail on time...

Hi Chubby Faye:

We (a group of 12) are scheduled for that as well. All flying in on Sunday(we hope) from Chicago & KC. The projection has it out to sea by Monday am. That is what I am hoping for as well as no damage to the port or the airport! This is definitely making for an interesting week. As the planner, my phone rang at 11:30 last night asking what we were all going to do! My DH told them we just have to wait and see! Keep praying I know that we are too! See you there!

Just relax, I'm sure everything will be fine. We have been out there for a couple of storms in the past, no problems. If the ship leaves or comes back a day late, that is something that can;t be helped. Enjoy your cruise, no matter where you go.

I'm also in the same boat (no pun intended) as alot of you guys except we fly into Miami on Saturday morning and leave on the Navigator Saturday evening. This is a company sponsored trip so over 2,000 people will be flying in from all over the world! I've finally just cut the TV off because I would be watching the Weather Channel and just bust out crying!!! I must be hormonal! :o I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago (hence the hormonal statement!) and so I've spent my entire recuperation time sitting at this darn computer and losing my mind reading these message boards and reading up about RCCL and NOS..so much to the point that I could probably go to work for them!! :D I will just be devastated if we don't get to go on this cruise. My fiancee worked his bootie off to qualify for this trip and all along we thought my hysterectomy would be the potential problem of going on the cruise!!!! Little did we know that the problem would be another woman (Wilma!).

I'm with everyone else...prayers and luck to the people in the eye of this storm and fingers crossed for all of us hoping to cruise!

From their website:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/gohome.do Tropical Weather Update

October 18, 2005

6:30 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Wilma to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety of our guests and crew is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Hurricane Wilma's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean is currently altering the itineraries of three ships:

Ships sailing from Port Everglades

• Enchantment of the Seas will not make its scheduled port call in Georgetown, Cayman Islands, today. Instead, the ship will visit Labadee, Hispaniola, today, before returning to Port Everglades as scheduled Thursday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

• Navigator of the Seas will not make its scheduled port calls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, today; Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Wednesday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Thursday. Instead, the ship will visit San Juan, Puerto Rico, today; be at sea Wednesday; and visit Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Thursday; before returning to the Port of Miami as scheduled Saturday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Galveston

• Rhapsody of the Seas will not make its scheduled port calls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Wednesday; Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Thursday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Friday. Instead, the ship will have an extended visit in Cozumel, Mexico, Tuesday; be at sea Wednesday; and have an extended visit in Key West, Florida, Thursday; before returning to the Port of Galveston as scheduled Sunday.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being adversely impacted by tropical weather. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

We were scheduled to leave on Monday out of Port Canaveral. I think we have opted to cancel our plans and stay home. Since this is just a 4 day cruise, we decided it wasn't worth the risk for us to take a trip into an area that might put us in harms way. Hopefully for those of you who can't cancel, things will work out just fine. Be safe and let us all know how it went for you when yo get back.

My husband was in a tizzy this morning about it. He didn't read the article and just thought it would hit Florida as a category 5. It is expected to hit as a category 2.

I am not worried about the cruise itself. I think the waters will be calm by the time we leave and it will be bright and sunny for our trip. I think we'll probably end up leaving on time as well.

The only thing I am concerned about are flight delays. We are leaving on Sunday and our cruise leaves Monday. I am sure that we'll make it there on time.

I am just dreading sitting in an airport with a sleepy 16 month old. That won't be fun. We'll just have to play it by ear and pack a lot in our carry-ons.

good luck to all of you. I do hope she looses strenght in the next few days. I just spoke with my daughter in Orlando, after last year you can imagine how nervous she is. Not only about the possibility of it hitting them (we all know how quickly the storms change course) but she works at the airport and knows what the passengers as well as the employees go through in times like this. NMNita

chubby faye---check out our rollcall on the Rollcall boards under Enchantment. I am also scheduled for that sailing. I plan to fly into FLL Sat. AM (hopefully) My parents live there so they are keeping me updated. Hopefully we will sail on time...

Chubby Faye and Seaside, I am on the Enchantment on Monday also. This will be our first cruise! :)

Archived