!!! NORWEGIAN ESCAPE !!! ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU so much for this review Gambee! Although it took me three days to get through it (lol) I enjoyed every minute spent reading about you and your mom's adventures on the Escape. My family and I are avid CC and decided to try NCL. You completely sold me and them because of your review. It was refreshing, your approach, the pictures were absolutely stunning! I truly felt I was living vicariously through your eyes. Now we know what to expect as first time cruisers on the Escape from the food, to rooms and service which is huge for me. Can't wait to sail her July 31st. Very excited. Thank you again, many blessings to you and your beautiful mother and congrats with school. :D

WOW – JUST -- WOW!! Thank you SO much for your amazing review. We are cruising on the Escape in September. It will be our first NCL cruise. We’ve only cruised on Carnival and I have a feeling this will be a step up from what we’ve been used to! Especially in the Spa Mini-Suite we booked. We have the Ultimate Beverage Package and I’m looking forward to trying ALL the drink of days! Your review was chocked full of useful information and tips. I was on the fence whether a Vibe pass was worth $100 – but after seeing your pics, I’m hoping we are lucky enough to purchase one! Good luck in your schooling and God Bless you and your mother. Cheers too many more cruises in your future!

PS –hmmm …. is it too soon to pack?!!!!!

I just started reading yesterday and have now finished. Loved every minute of it! I am recovering from a hip replacement and this really made my day today after a grueling therapy to take my mind off the pain! Thank you for doing it.

Till next time...

Great thread. Thank you very much. I have one question about Vibe on the Escape. Is there much shade for lounging? I cannot do full sun all day so am thinking Vibe might mow be right for me. But, if there are usually a few loungers in shade, I might give it a try.

Thanks again for this incredible resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by newbe dave

Gambee I love reading your review! My family and me are new to cruising. We will be sailing on the Escape on 7/23 So Excited and we have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) You said your mom was making reservations for freestyle what does that mean?

2) We have the drink package is something special we need to get after we get on board?

If we bring a refillable water bottle is it easy refillable?

3) Is the safe big enough for a laptop?

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, that food is from food republic, which by the way is AWESOME!!!!!

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-238_zpsl8s5l8xh.jpg

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-239_zpsguaematw.jpg

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-240_zpse6elpwmc.jpg

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-241_zpsdrjawwdp.jpg

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-242_zpscdww6swk.jpg

Norwegian%20Escape%20review-243_zpss50uly3i.jpg

Thanks for your review - we have not sailed NCL for years - seems everything is charged now all the restaurants seem very expensive -

Gambee I love reading your review! My family and me are new to cruising. We will be sailing on the Escape on 7/23 So Excited and we have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) You said your mom was making reservations for freestyle what does that mean?

2) We have the drink package is something special we need to get after we get on board?

If we bring a refillable water bottle is it easy refillable?

3) Is the safe big enough for a laptop?

Thank you!!

I can answer a few of these. You can make reservations for the restaurants about 90 days out from your sail date on NCL's webpage in your reservation.

Once you get on board they will put a sticker on your room key card telling that you have the drink package, or your card with have some kind of notation on it so the bartenders can see you paid for the drink package.

As far as filling your water bottle. You aren't allowed to put your water bottle under the water dispensers in the buffet but you can fill it by filling water glasses with water and pouring it into your bottle or filling the bottle in your sink in the bathroom in the cabin. Water is fine to drink all over the ship.

And no the safe is not big enough for a laptop. An i pad and cell phone would fit in there but not a laptop. Better to just hide your laptop in a desk drawer or under the bed if you are concerned about it. But my kids just left their laptops in their backpacks when we weren't in the room and it was fine.

I can answer a few of these. You can make reservations for the restaurants about 90 days out from your sail date on NCL's webpage in your reservation.

Once you get on board they will put a sticker on your room key card telling that you have the drink package, or your card with have some kind of notation on it so the bartenders can see you paid for the drink package.

As far as filling your water bottle. You aren't allowed to put your water bottle under the water dispensers in the buffet but you can fill it by filling water glasses with water and pouring it into your bottle or filling the bottle in your sink in the bathroom in the cabin. Water is fine to drink all over the ship.

And no the safe is not big enough for a laptop. An i pad and cell phone would fit in there but not a laptop. Better to just hide your laptop in a desk drawer or under the bed if you are concerned about it. But my kids just left their laptops in their backpacks when we weren't in the room and it was fine.

Thank You!! This helps a newbie cruiser.

One last question...I think I also read something about a tax on drinks or something like that until you reach international waters? What is that all about?

Thank You!! This helps a newbie cruiser.

One last question...I think I also read something about a tax on drinks or something like that until you reach international waters? What is that all about?

Yes, even if you have the drink package, if you order a drink at the bar before sail away, they will charge you taxes on top of gratuities, on all drinks that you order. Once the ship sets sail, you can order drinks on your drink package, and you won't be charged taxes or gratuities on your card, as it is all included in your drink package.

Yes, even if you have the drink package, if you order a drink at the bar before sail away, they will charge you taxes on top of gratuities, on all drinks that you order. Once the ship sets sail, you can order drinks on your drink package, and you won't be charged taxes or gratuities on your card, as it is all included in your drink package.

Thanks!! Good to know.

This is super helpful information!! I'm going to be a first time cruiser when I cruise on the Escape in Sept! We hope to get passes for Vibe as well....but didn't realize it was going to be so hard! I note that you said you checked in at 10:30 and boarded at 12 and the line up was pretty long for Vibe passes. We don't set sail until 7 p.m. and when we when to check in the earliest time we could get checked in was at 12 p.m., we were thinking that we are going to be in the first bach....but is that not the case? I'm a cruise virgin...not sure I understand a lot of how this all works!

This is super helpful information!! I'm going to be a first time cruiser when I cruise on the Escape in Sept! We hope to get passes for Vibe as well....but didn't realize it was going to be so hard! I note that you said you checked in at 10:30 and boarded at 12 and the line up was pretty long for Vibe passes. We don't set sail until 7 p.m. and when we when to check in the earliest time we could get checked in was at 12 p.m., we were thinking that we are going to be in the first bach....but is that not the case? I'm a cruise virgin...not sure I understand a lot of how this all works!

If you really want passes to Vibe you had better be at the terminal at 9:30 am and be in the first batch of people to enter the ship. Once you enter the terminal they will check you in by giving you a boarding pass number. Then if you are in group one you can check in at 11am maybe or 1030am if you are lucky. They start letting people on the ship as soon as the ship is cleared from the last weeks passengers. Sometimes at 11:30 or 11. Sometimes even at 1030 am. It just depends how long it takes to clear the ship. But they only sell 100 Vibe passes and they go very quickly. I am not sure where you even go to buy the Vibe passes. You will need to read CC and figure that part out.

We personally like to get to the terminal around 1230pm, when all the early morning crowds are gone, and check in is quite easy at 1pm. But if you want those vibe passes you have to be there really early.

There are three main dining rooms that are free. There is Manhattan Room at the aft of the ship which is a little fancier and has live music and dancing. Sometimes there is a performance from the theater acts.

Then there are two other main dining rooms in the center of the ship on Deck 6, Taste and Savor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I absolute LOVE your review and pictures but had a quick question for you - I am not purchasing the beverage package since my hubby does not drink - AND we got such a great price on a balcony guaranty (without freebies) so I was wondering if they had any "happy hour" deals throughout the day (beer only) like other ships we've been on. We had a not so stellar experience on the Getaway and are looking forward to giving NCL another shot on 10/15. Thank you and you are a great son!

Wow! I have just spent an insane (and somewhat embarrassing) number of days reading each and every Gambee review. Absolutely incredible! Thank you for all that you do. I am subscribing to this thread in the hopes that you will post here when you know when your next cruise will be so that I do not miss the review if you do one.

Good luck in grad school!

• 4 weeks later...