Onboard Serenity - Never Again

No.

Unless you are prepared to back it up, your initial statement is unsubstantiated rumour-mongering. It implies exactly what Peggy asked, or some other form of "sanction" by management. A simple "No" does not cut it.

Unless you are prepared to back it up, your initial statement is unsubstantiated rumour-mongering. It implies exactly what Peggy asked, or some other form of "sanction" by management. A simple "No" does not cut it.

Oh, gee whiz, I don't know what to say....other than what has already been written. I cannot help what you read into a simple word.

We cruised with Scott on our only Crystal experience. The ship was in perfect form as much as we could tell. We could find no fault with our "hotel" experience a few months back. As he is slated to be the Hotel director on our next cruise in just over 2 weeks, we hope he will be back in time.

We have seen people work up from entry to Hotel Director. On Regent one of the employees who was F&B manager 10 years ago is now Executive Director onboard the top of the line ships there. He runs the best of the ships ever.

Entry to working their way up hotel director is not unusual. It all has to do with hotel ops. That's the usual trajectory. CD to Hotel Manager is not the usual path. Working one's way up in the hotel department allows one to learn the ropes going up and the varied experiences serve them well.

I have reflected on this question and do not see how it is in any way unfair. It's a simple question, a request for information.

Rather than answering the question you have opted to attack the questioner for being unfair in posing the question.

This is particularly ironic to my mind because of your insistence (post #52 in this thread): "Take it from me, there is no Crystal Gestapo that takes out anyone who has a negative opinion of something."

I had no opinion on anything in my post. I merely asked what I believe on reflection was a reasonable and relevant question. And rather than answering that question you came in for the attack.

One person said there was a promotion from CD to HD on Silversea and that the move was (in his/her opinion) unsuccessful. That was a substantive, responsive post.

Attack??? Whether you intended it that way or not, your message clearly implied he lacked the experience to hold the position. All I said was I felt that was unfair, which was my personal opinion of your inference. That's in no way a personal attack -- and I still think the implication is unfair.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
Attack??? Whether you intended it that way or not, your message clearly implied he lacked the experience to hold the position. All I said was I felt that was unfair, which was my personal opinion of your inference. That's in no way a personal attack -- and I still think the implication is unfair.

Vince

Don't know if he had Hotel/hospitality experience in his CV and I agree with Observer. The service on the cruise was awful. The head of that department is responsible. I see someone who was a good CD and I now see a not good HM.

Don't know if he had Hotel/hospitality experience in his CV and I agree with Observer. The service on the cruise was awful. The head of that department is responsible. I see someone who was a good CD and I now see a not good HM.

IMHO, that is a much more balanced statement -- especially when speaking from personal experience. I mean, anyone can post whatever they like, I'm not trying to suppress posts in any way, I simply stated that implying someone with a long career as an officer as an officer is unqualified to be in his job is a bit unfair, especially coming from someone (like myself) who wasn't on the cruise.

I'm not saying he's a good or bad hotel director (though he's been in the role for a while now and this hasn't been typical)... But implying he's unqualified is more of a stretch.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying no one can post that. Just that one opinion begets another, which is what these boards are for.

Vince

Oh, gee whiz, I don't know what to say....other than what has already been written. I cannot help what you read into a simple word.

I'm completely confused by your posts -- was or wasn't he fired?

Vince

As of 5/29 who is serving [perhaps filling in] as HD? Some of the F&B officers who have been serving for years are quite competent and perhaps, natural choices.

I thought ERod should have stepped in. What actually made me think it is that Bob Graham, once governor of Florida, would on occasion take a job for a day that was beneath his pay scale. In fact, it's evidently what he talks about when he gives presentations on Crystal. (He's now on Serenity.)

While Bob Graham did it to get out and talk to his constituents, ERod could do it for one of many reasons, and I don't care which she chooses.

I do care, however, about how you respond to my opinion. Please be polite. Please be polite to me, and please be polite re ERod. I am asking nicely, b/c we are all ladies and gentlemen and all capable of acting as though we are. Thx.

Oregon50,

>>If you missed Peterson as hotel manager on this cruise, you missed your chance of ever seeing him in this position.<<

Are you suggesting that Scott Peterson has been fired?

Peggy

I would've been more apt to think he tendered his resignation. If you loved being CD, would you also love being HD?

I hope whatever family medical situation has occurred for Scott, I hope it's resolved as well as it possibly can be. Thoughts and prayers are with Scott (whom I know as CD, and Mr. B. and I thought he was absolutely excellent).

As I am the one who mentioned that Scott was off the ship, I want to clarify my message.

1) Scott's departure apparently has nothing to do with his work, but is rather a family issue.

2) If, and I stress if, there are organizational problems on Serenity post-dry dock, the absence of the assigned HD cannot help towards the resolution. Purely an organizational assessment for any command structure. I do not connect his absence with any possible onboard issues.

3) My comments carry NO assessment of his skills and performance in the role of HD. I have only sailed with him as a CD, so I have no first hand knowledge other than that. I will say that IMO he was a consummate professional as a CD, with a style that conveyed competence and confidence. He was neither manic nor folksy as I have noticed with other Crystal CDs.

4) I have no knowledge of any resignation or firing and would say that anything in that realm is complete speculation or rumor-mongering.

5) I can only hope that any issues onboard post-dry dock will be quickly and effectively resolved.

6) I hope that all of the health issues are quickly solved and that he's back onboard soon.

Thanks for allowing this further clarification.

Your statement quoted below (BOLD added by me for emphasis) would infer something more than him just leaving to attend to a family matter.

"If you missed Peterson as hotel manager on this cruise, you missed your chance of ever seeing him in this position."

Subsequent posts would seem to indicate I am not the only one wondering what your point was.

1-Is this fact or conjecture?

It is only my opinion. I do not know the person. There was an underlying situation on this segment that you would have to have been aboard to understand. This is a fact, and cruisr seems to have noticed the same.

From boarding day until departure day, there was minimal interaction with crew. Crew surliness ruled the day. It was organized. Until departure day, no smiles, minimal interaction between crew and passengers. On departure day, it all changed. On that day, housekeeping staff smiled with a cheery "good morning." I enter Lido and three servers are addressing me by name. None would do so on previous visits. It was so out of character. These are people I've enjoyed being around for a good part of previous six months. I've written enough.

Traveling solo, I can take a pretty good hit. My wife comes on board, and this crap doesn't fly. Three PS/PH category bookings vanish. Congratulations to the crew!

I am glad that I added my two cents to this thread. I was hesitant at first as I mentioned up thread. Judging from the fact that not so frequent posters are saying, in effect, they are glad to get some information from posters who have differing opinions from the posters that post more frequently, makes me feel it was not in vain. It saddens me and I hope this experimce was something that will not happen on my future cruises and I am really annoyed it happened on this one.

I am glad that there are at least three of us who were on this cruise and noticed how appalling the service was and posted about it.

I never considered it to be some sort of work action. There were a number of VIP agents from a consortium who were on for a meeting. I happened to speak to a few in the Avenue Salon and even some of them said that they were not particularly impressed.

I hate spending a lot of money and not feeling I got value for that money.

We are currently sailing on Serenity and FLYERTALKER is correct in saying that Scott has gone home to deal with a family emergency. He is expected to rejoin the ship when we get to Hawaii on Thursday/Friday.

Meanwhile, Gary Hunter the Cruise Director is doubling up as Cruise Director/Hotel Director until Scott returns.

Christine

We are currently sailing on Serenity and FLYERTALKER is correct in saying that Scott has gone home to deal with a family emergency. He is expected to rejoin the ship when we get to Hawaii on Thursday/Friday.

Meanwhile, Gary Hunter the Cruise Director is doubling up as Cruise Director/Hotel Director until Scott returns.

Christine

Thank you for the update Christine. It looked like you had a beautiful sail away from San Francisco Saturday. I hope you have not experienced the issues many commented on from the previous voyage, and are enjoying calm seas and a wonderful cruise so far! 😊

We are currently sailing on Serenity and ....

Thanks for the update. How has the service been on the cruise? Back to usual standards or the poor service reported from the last segment?

Christine

Hi Christine...hope to meet you tonight at the Meet and Mingle party.

I was just about to post the same info!! I hope Scott will be able to return later this week.

All has been up to the usual level of service we have had on all of our crystal cruises. My husband and I are very happy and are looking forward to another wonderful sea day!!

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

I was just about to post the same info!! I hope Scott will be able to return later this week.

All has been up to the usual level of service we have had on all of our crystal cruises. My husband and I are very happy and are looking forward to another wonderful sea day!!

Nancy

So glad to hear that all is good on the ship. Please tell Christine and Mike that I say hello from Texas. They were at my table on one cruise.

Patty

P.S. Some of the streets in Quail Valley are on voluntary evacuation (not mine, far from me) as the Brazos River is causing the tributaries to back up and overflow. More rain scheduled for this afternoon. Do you have the plans for the ark?? :D:p;)

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I'm very pleased to hear that all is well onboard for you and Larry, I hear that you have met up with Vicki and Elizabeth.

Enjoy the M&M and the rest of the voyage.

Philip