Hotel Day passes

RMLincoln

We are booked on Tales of the South Pacific, HAL, October/November.

I would appreciate any information shared about obtaining Hotel Day Passes.

When and how does one buy them - at the hotel that day or in advance. Cash or credit card?

Our ports of calls are:

Hawaii: Honolulu, Lahina, Nawiliwili, Kona, Hilo

Fanning Island (no hotels there)

Pago Pago

Apia Samoa

Fiji: Savusavu, Suva, Dravuni, Lautoka

Tonga: Nuku'alofa, Vaua'u

Niue

Raratonga

Bora Bora

Raiatea

Papeete

Moorea

Rangiroa

Fakarava

Nula Hiva

Thanks, m--

We are booked on Tales of the South Pacific, HAL, October/November.

I would appreciate any information shared about obtaining Hotel Day Passes.

When and how does one buy them - at the hotel that day or in advance. Cash or credit card?

Our ports of calls are:

Hawaii: Honolulu, Lahina, Nawiliwili, Kona, Hilo

Fanning Island (no hotels there)

Pago Pago

Apia Samoa

Fiji: Savusavu, Suva, Dravuni, Lautoka

Tonga: Nuku'alofa, Vaua'u

Niue

Raratonga

Bora Bora

Raiatea

Papeete

Moorea

Rangiroa

Fakarava

Nula Hiva

Thanks, m--

I can only speak to a few places in French Polynesia and Rarotonga.

Rarotonga: just take the shuttle to Muri beach. There is a hotel there where you can eat. I think a day pass is a waste of $$$ here

Bora Bora: Send an email to the IC Le Moana or Thalasso. Either would be a great place to spend a day. Plenty of others to choose from too. In all cases you really should contact the hotel directly. If you get an IHG credit card you will get enough points to get a free night - I do this when I can - if your ship is doing an overnight here.

MOOREA: Best for a water day would be the Hilton or Sofitel. They have the best water. I always rent a car here. Much to see and do.

Rangiroa: don't know if the hotel has a day pass option.

Fakarava: Forget the hotel. Make your way to the Blue Lagoon

Raiatea: Forget the hotel. Try to get on a tour to Taha'a

Nuku Hiva: find a good tour

Papeete: No good beaches on Tahiti. IC is a nice place to spend the day but culturally I would spend some time downtown during the day and eat in the Roulottes at night. I wouldn't do a day pass here either.

Just my opinions.

Thank you for these great tips. Our hope is to find some hotels where we can use/rent kayaks to paddle the lagoons or quiet bays.

I got a reply form Moorea Pearl Resort and it's something to consider once I figure out the transportation to it/from it back to ship and how to pay them in advance. And hope we do get to tender in... lots of ifs still.

m--

What a great trip.

I can only help with Fiji and Tonga.

Suva is the capital of Fiji and there is a remarkable difference between the rich and poor. When you first get off the ship you might find it a bit confronting. I suggest you turn right and walk a few blocks up to the Fiji Museum stopping at the Grand Pacific Hotel or the Holiday Inn next door for a drink or a swim on the way back no day pass required. There are several excellent Chinese Restaurants where you can have lunch. And then maybe enjoy a bit of shopping in Jacks. Anything from souvenirs and T shirts to full on beaded and jewelled Indian dresses shoes and jewellery. We have been here 3 years in a row and really enjoy it.

Dravuni Island is a beach day we enjoyed a trip around the island with a local and then he took my husband fishing.

Nukuloafu, I suggest you do a tour with the locals. As you get off the ship they are there at the wharf we took the half day, our driver Sam showed us all the sights. We then had a walk through the local markets and lunch at a local bar where we had the best burgers we have ever had!

Vavua we took a taxi to the Tonga Beach Resort $10 each he dropped us off and picked us up a couple of hours later. It was $12 for the day pass there. The snorkelling was outstanding. We then came back to town and visited a few bars and talked to the locals. It was the highlight of our last cruise.

Thank you for these great tips. Our hope is to find some hotels where we can use/rent kayaks to paddle the lagoons or quiet bays.

I got a reply form Moorea Pearl Resort and it's something to consider once I figure out the transportation to it/from it back to ship and how to pay them in advance. And hope we do get to tender in... lots of ifs still.

m--

Of the 4 major hotels on Moorea, the Pearl has the least appealing water. Please contact the Hilton and Sofitel before you make a decision.

Once I spent the day at Les Tipaniers. Free beach, kayaks and a great beach restaurant. All it cost me was a cab ride.

Of the 4 major hotels on Moorea, the Pearl has the least appealing water. Please contact the Hilton and Sofitel before you make a decision.

Once I spent the day at Les Tipaniers. Free beach, kayaks and a great beach restaurant. All it cost me was a cab ride.

Wow, more excellent tips! I'm starting to feel like it will all come together.

Is Les Tipaniers a hotel? Do we just tell the taxi driver to take us there, and then ask for a taxi to take us back? Thanks for your help. m--

I can only speak to a few places in French Polynesia and Rarotonga.

Rarotonga: just take the shuttle to Muri beach. There is a hotel there where you can eat. I think a day pass is a waste of $$$ here

Bora Bora: Send an email to the IC Le Moana or Thalasso. Either would be a great place to spend a day. Plenty of others to choose from too. In all cases you really should contact the hotel directly. If you get an IHG credit card you will get enough points to get a free night - I do this when I can - if your ship is doing an overnight here.

MOOREA: Best for a water day would be the Hilton or Sofitel. They have the best water. I always rent a car here. Much to see and do.

Rangiroa: don't know if the hotel has a day pass option.

Fakarava: Forget the hotel. Make your way to the Blue Lagoon

Raiatea: Forget the hotel. Try to get on a tour to Taha'a

Nuku Hiva: find a good tour

Papeete: No good beaches on Tahiti. IC is a nice place to spend the day but culturally I would spend some time downtown during the day and eat in the Roulottes at night. I wouldn't do a day pass here either.

Just my opinions.

I have a few questions with using points for Thalasso.

How did you get there from ship and what is the cost?

How far in advance did you book?

How many points?

What extra expenses are there?

Wow, more excellent tips! I'm starting to feel like it will all come together.

Is Les Tipaniers a hotel? Do we just tell the taxi driver to take us there, and then ask for a taxi to take us back? Thanks for your help. m--

Yes it's a hotel. Correct about the taxi. Regarding taxis on Moorea, they are expensive. Negotiate!!! Make a deal and make arrangements to pick you up too.

I have a few questions with using points for Thalasso.

How did you get there from ship and what is the cost?

How far in advance did you book?

How many points?

What extra expenses are there?

Hi. It's now 60,000 points BUT availability is severely limited these days. When I looked for next April there were only a few days available and not one on the day we are going to be there. It wasn't like this in the past. You can book I think one year in advance. Extra expenses are the taxi to Le Moana IC where you catch the shuttle and obviously food. I went to the grocery store near the tender dock first to load up on a few things. Keep in mind that using points here does not guarantee you an overwater bungalow but I don't know anyone who didn't get upgraded. If you get the IHG credit card you won't need points after one year. You can use the anniversary free night. Card also makes you Platinum so you get late check out.

Hi. It's now 60,000 points BUT availability is severely limited these days. When I looked for next April there were only a few days available and not one on the day we are going to be there. It wasn't like this in the past. You can book I think one year in advance. Extra expenses are the taxi to Le Moana IC where you catch the shuttle and obviously food. I went to the grocery store near the tender dock first to load up on a few things. Keep in mind that using points here does not guarantee you an overwater bungalow but I don't know anyone who didn't get upgraded. If you get the IHG credit card you won't need points after one year. You can use the anniversary free night. Card also makes you Platinum so you get late check out.

So you are going next April and not coming with us?

Edited by Emdee

Yes it's a hotel. Correct about the taxi. Regarding taxis on Moorea, they are expensive. Negotiate!!! Make a deal and make arrangements to pick you up too.

Wondering what would be a good price to negotiate towards for a taxi to/from hotel .... and maybe it would be worth it request a car rental pick-up at the tender pier from Albert's. Thoughts? m--

Wondering what would be a good price to negotiate towards for a taxi to/from hotel .... and maybe it would be worth it request a car rental pick-up at the tender pier from Albert's. Thoughts? m--

Rental car will cost approx $100-$120 for the day. I don't remember what taxis try to charge people.