Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

It's OK, Bpos, you can buy rioja in Aldi. $4.99 a bottle, or $6.99 for the Reserva. Look for the bull on the label.

Well I have been off these boards for a couple of days - spent them cued outside the brand new Aldi store, which have just opened in WA this week, to be first to get some of the wine you recommended.

Well what a letdown - got home, tried all the bottles (about a dozen or so) and found the wine to be undrinkable - to my standards anyway.

Indeed, rather than waste it, we tried cleaning the toilet with it, and it peeled the porcelain from bowl - have had to have the whole cistern replaced - so much for cheap overseas imports.

Overseas visitors - Australia has the best wines in the world - do not drink anything else during your stay here - even insist that your ship provide you with only Australian wines during you time aboard.

You will be able to buy that wine for less than $10 in Aussie despite the cruise line charging you $50 USD. Get your fill here, it will be worth it.

Edited by Bpos
spelling

Oh dear! Sounds like Aldi have been passing off the spoilt-in-transit wines to you unsuspecting folk in WA. :eek: They know not to stock it in my local Aldi. :D

BTW you can't buy an Australia tempranillo under $10.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

One of my favs is black opal...they used to do a cab/Merlot blend at Christmas in a beautiful golden red bottle that was my absolute favorite. Not sure they even make it anymore and if they do can't get it here in Texas [emoji17]. I actually got these when living in Germany. Can anyone tell me if they actually still produce it because maybe I'll get lucky when I visit in December.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One of my favs is black opal...they used to do a cab/Merlot blend at Christmas in a beautiful golden red bottle that was my absolute favorite. Not sure they even make it anymore and if they do can't get it here in Texas [emoji17]. I actually got these when living in Germany. Can anyone tell me if they actually still produce it because maybe I'll get lucky when I visit in December.

It still exists but may not be stocked in every store, it is a South Australian wine.

Sorry, but I've never seen or heard of this wine in Australia, it looks like it is/was made specifically for export. The only information I can find about it is on US websites.

However I'm sure you'll find plenty of good cab/merlots when you visit Australia, although the prices will be higher than you're used to in the US.

Sorry, but I've never seen or heard of this wine in Australia, it looks like it is/was made specifically for export. The only information I can find about it is on US websites.

However I'm sure you'll find plenty of good cab/merlots when you visit Australia, although the prices will be higher than you're used to in the US.

But then prices for everything will be higher than you're used to in the U.S.A.

Its quite common in both Au and NZ to market a product, in this case wine , for a specific market. Same as the supermarkets use "House Brands".....same product - different packaging. Black Opal conjures up a great Australian image , ideal for export markets.:)

It is Wolf Blass. May only be available at the cellar door though.

I found a link to BeringerBlass(.com.au) but the site seems to be restricted access.

Ahh Wolf Blass Wine Riesling in the old black bottle.

But Red Ned and brown Muscat were more my style.

Sad thing is that is a 14 + hour trip from Sydney when we visit...may just have to do a pass on that trip. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some anyway, looks like there is a wine shop about 5-10 min walk from my hotel. Regardless I'm sure I'll find something I like there lol.

Sad thing is that is a 14 + hour trip from Sydney when we visit...may just have to do a pass on that trip. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some anyway, looks like there is a wine shop about 5-10 min walk from my hotel. Regardless I'm sure I'll find something I like there lol.

Lots of good wines (from all over Australia) which are available in many of the bottle shops. I suggest getting something that sounds like it would suit your tastes and is priced around the $15-20 range (boutique wine shop) or perhaps a bit cheaper in a larger establishment (bottle shop or supermarket).:D

Try a Hunter Valley Shiraz.

Draytons Bin 9999' or Tyrell's

Not sure if Col's doing one but if you see a Petterson's it's sure to be good.

This is a fantastic thread. I can see you'all have a good sense of humor. This is going to make our trip even more enjoyable. All the great sights and animals to behold along with nice, friendly, fun loving people.--- what a suck-up:confused:

This is a fantastic thread. I can see you'all have a good sense of humor. This is going to make our trip even more enjoyable. All the great sights and animals to behold along with nice, friendly, fun loving people.--- what a suck-up:confused:

Yes when you find those friendly people,please take a photo for evidence.

Before I sail out of Sydney I'm visiting rellies in Perth and having a couple of days in the Margaret River wine region so I can test this great Australian wine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Some excellent wines from Margaret river as well, here are some suggestions of wineries to visit with good Shiraz wines

Vasse Felix, the first commercial vineyard and winery in the region, has a cellar door, restaurant and art gallery in a lovely setting.

Voyager Estate., with its breathtaking Cape Dutch architecture, is one of the most spectacular cellar door/restaurant complexes overlooking vines, rose gardens and sweeping lawns.

Leeuwin Estate, venue for regular concerts and home to a top-notch restaurant, is a de rigueur destination for visitors keen on tasting the winery's benchmark Art Series wines.

Cape Mentelle has a really nice Shiraz as well.

I am sure you will love it here and enjoy all that Australia can offer.:D

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Not a bad spot.