Best Things to Buy Before Cruise

kimma11

If you took everything that was listed here, you would need to pack them in a semi instead of a suitcase. Go through all of the above postings and ask yourself, "Would I really use that?" OTC meds-definately. Other stuff, depends on you.

If you feel comfortable wearing your card on a lanyard or in a fanny pack, do it. A cruise is not a fashion statement based on what other people like. They still sell both so people are still buying them.

I love my lanyard! It's silver and is actually made by Brighton, my favorite jewelry line. It goes nicely with many of my jewelry pieces. So my lanyard IS a fashion statement. :-)

And because I am a girl who likes to wear dresses, I rarely have pockets.

I'm not sure I fully comprehend the usefulness of a recommended item from early on in this thread - the collapsable cooler... Are folks using these to take snacks/drinks on their port excursions to avoid pricey offerings? Or is there something else I'm missing?

You can't take food of the ship with you unless it is in a package because of port regulations. Like a granola bar is fine. You could take it on shore to keep drinks cold next to you on the beach. Drinks are cheaper on shore than ship. Our room has always had a fridge to keep drinks cold but I would use it to take some of my pop cans up to the pool to keep cold so less trips to the room. I am a heavy packer already so I am not sure this would be important enough for me to pack. Maybe if I took my kids do and I go on cruises just as a couple.

Agree with most of the suggestions. However would recommend booking excursions thru Carnival. Cost might be a bit higher. However if something goes wrong and it comes back late the ship has to wait. The last time we went to Panama we got back late our group ho on they pulled up the gangway. About 10 mins later a group of 10 to 20 on a private excursion got to wave the ship goodbye.

Agree with most of the suggestions. However would recommend booking excursions thru Carnival. Cost might be a bit higher. However if something goes wrong and it comes back late the ship has to wait. The last time we went to Panama we got back late our group ho on they pulled up the gangway. About 10 mins later a group of 10 to 20 on a private excursion got to wave the ship goodbye.

Depends where you're at and how responsible you are. If it was like Belize or a place where all the places to go were far away, then I would agree. But you will miss out on so much by booking exclusively with the cruise line. The amount of people they book can be overwhelming and sometimes dangerous - to me at least - like when scuba diving. They are also pretty limited in places to go.

I am so glad I never stayed at that man made beach and went to Little French Key in Honduras. It was so beautiful and not crowded at all. Same with Cozumel. Mr Sanchos is a blast. And don't forget Maho Beach in St Maarten.

For beginners or certain ports, it's good to stick with Carnival. However, if you do your research and leave yourself PLENTY of time to get back, you are much better off booking in your own.

Depends where you're at and how responsible you are. If it was like Belize or a place where all the places to go were far away, then I would agree. But you will miss out on so much by booking exclusively with the cruise line. The amount of people they book can be overwhelming and sometimes dangerous - to me at least - like when scuba diving. They are also pretty limited in places to go.

I am so glad I never stayed at that man made beach and went to Little French Key in Honduras. It was so beautiful and not crowded at all. Same with Cozumel. Mr Sanchos is a blast. And don't forget Maho Beach in St Maarten.

For beginners or certain ports, it's good to stick with Carnival. However, if you do your research and leave yourself PLENTY of time to get back, you are much better off booking in your own.

Agreed - we've done both, but when DBF and I go to Cozumel we like to go snorkeling - booking on our own we have never been with a group of more than eight people including ourselves. You see the groups that booked through a ship and there are so many people in the water it looks like the final scene of Titanic.

another factor to consider is if you are in a tender port you will get priority tendering vs those that booked an independent excursion. If for some reason your ship is late getting in it may throw your schedule off.

Not really to bring on the cruise but to use before.

A roll of 2" wide clear packing tape to laminate and strengthen printed luggage tags. While I have not experienced the paper ripping off, others have.

Peace of mind is worth $1

Can someone explain how this is used? :)

Love this thread.

The old safes required a card with a magnetic strip on it. Carnival gives an example as a credit card but in reality u can use old hotel keys or some would say blank gift card. I haven't tried the gift card yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The old safes required a card with a magnetic strip on it. Carnival gives an example as a credit card but in reality u can use old hotel keys or some would say blank gift card. I haven't tried the gift card yet.

As long as it has a magnetic strip on the back it will work. Since my Victoria's Secret gift card gave out after quite a few cruises, I have been using an old Carnival gift card. Works like a champ.

I would rather use something that doesn't matter if it accidentally gets demagnetized like a GC instead of a credit card. It can happen and that's why they tell you not to use your S&S card.

I'm not sure I fully comprehend the usefulness of a recommended item from early on in this thread - the collapsable cooler... Are folks using these to take snacks/drinks on their port excursions to avoid pricey offerings? Or is there something else I'm missing?

For ice as the tiny ice bucket doesn't hold much and it melts quickly. I use the ice all day and don't run out of it. I can also keep my caviar on ice if they ship doesn't have a mini fridge like on the Sunshine recently.

As long as it has a magnetic strip on the back it will work. Since my Victoria's Secret gift card gave out after quite a few cruises, I have been using an old Carnival gift card. Works like a champ.

I would rather use something that doesn't matter if it accidentally gets demagnetized like a GC instead of a credit card. It can happen and that's why they tell you not to use your S&S card.

Totally agreed we used our hotel key since u get two and both worked at opening the safe

A small first aid kit with basic medicines, creams and band aids.

Meds such as:

Ibuprofen

Pepto

Tums

Nyquil

Eye drops

Icy Hot

Benedryl

Sudephed

Second the idea of a first aid kit i including the things you mentioned for aches and pains, sniffles, and headaches.

Edited by DavyJoneses

Before my first cruise I was reading a thread like this, and ended up over-packing so thoroughly I just had to laugh.

Lots of good advice you can tailor to fit your needs ... but one off-handed post about taking a travel-sized bottle of baby powder if you are going to sandy beaches ... pretty much changed the life of my family & every family I shared the bottle with at Mr. Sanchos. I don't think anything else could make such quick work of wet, sandy feet so you can get your shoes back on. Lol

I buy a couple of the super cheap inflatable rafts. They fit easily into a beach bag when we go ashore. We rarely take excursions, but seek out local beaches instead. I can quickly inflate the raft and use it all day. When we leave I give it to some local kids at the beach. They love it!

You should check out the swimways lounger. It folds to about a bit larger than a frisbee, is about $15, and pops up and retracts easily. It also dries quickly. It is a MUST bring for me for any vacation. I always pack a 22in luggage and it fits just fine.

• 4 months later...
You should check out the swimways lounger. It folds to about a bit larger than a frisbee, is about $15, and pops up and retracts easily. It also dries quickly. It is a MUST bring for me for any vacation. I always pack a 22in luggage and it fits just fine.

I bought 2 of these based on your suggestion and my hubby and I are looking forward to trying them out on beach days! Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Painters Tape. We use this to tape the room service menu near the phone, the schedule on the wall, to tape curtains together at night and many other tings. Its small and light.

Deodorant spray for your shoes.

Binoculars if you have a balcony cabin.

We mix and match on clothes so we take minimal for both day and evening. We hang them on dry cleaner hangers to pack so when unpacking just pull them out and hang them up.

As others have mentioned, $1's and $5's for tips.

Bring a can of Pringles and some candy if you like. I've seen Pringles priced at $10 before and I'm sure people pay it because they just want some damn chips.

I'm sorry but I have to say REALLY? with all that food you have to buy Pringles? Is Pringles that addictive that you can't do without it for 1-2 weeks?

plastic bag for anything u do not want to get wet on excursions. I put my point and shoot in it. We bring our own coffee cup.

enjoy Cruising is great!

Plastic bags are also great if you want to stick leftovers in the fridge for later. Just don't save too many leftovers: There is ALWAYS another meal!

I'm sorry but I have to say REALLY? with all that food you have to buy Pringles? Is Pringles that addictive that you can't do without it for 1-2 weeks?

Sure. Why not, if that's something you wish. I am guessing if you are travelling with kids, having things like that isn't just a want, it's a need!