Full Payment and Airfare

palermo22

Our full payment for the cruise is due June 30 (our cruise - which departs 4/15/17 - is still 10 months off). The invoice from our travel agent states the amount due plus $1,890 pp for Premium Fare. Does anyone know if the airfare needs to be paid now or if there is a deadline on when the airfare is due? I wanted to wait a few months so I can use my new travel credit card - collect points and then either through Viking or somewhere else - make my reservations then. Any knowledgeable comment would be welcomed. Since we made our reservation that Premium airfare has increased $300 pp.

Our full payment for the cruise is due June 30 (our cruise - which departs 4/15/17 - is still 10 months off). The invoice from our travel agent states the amount due plus $1,890 pp for Premium Fare. Does anyone know if the airfare needs to be paid now or if there is a deadline on when the airfare is due? I wanted to wait a few months so I can use my new travel credit card - collect points and then either through Viking or somewhere else - make my reservations then. Any knowledgeable comment would be welcomed. Since we made our reservation that Premium airfare has increased $300 pp.

You should ask your travel agent to confirm this with Viking but I think you will find that everything for which you have contracted--cruise and air-- is due by June 30, otherwise you lose the promotional price on the air.

Ten months out is nothing. We booked our cruise over 2 years before we were due to sail and it was due in-full 18 months before we sailed. By the time we had paid in full, both sailings were completely sold out.

We are on the same cruise but our final payment is not until Oct 15. I just double checked my invoice from my TA as well as the one from Viking that she attached that did not reflect her discount. She said we could cancel our Viking air at any time before final payment.

I started looking at air today because I'm in Tucson and air is not easy. But I've found pretty acceptable flights for about $1,350 pp. I'm going to keep an eye out for the next while...we want to stay a few extra days in Stockholm. Plus I have Capital One points that will pretty much pay for one air. Viking wanted $1,100 plus $50 for the custom. So I think I'll do it on my own but I've got several months to figure it out.

You should ask your travel agent to confirm this with Viking but I think you will find that everything for which you have contracted--cruise and air-- is due by June 30, otherwise you lose the promotional price on the air.

Ten months out is nothing. We booked our cruise over 2 years before we were due to sail and it was due in-full 18 months before we sailed. By the time we had paid in full, both sailings were completely sold out.

I'm sure you are probably right - was hoping I could prolong it until I am sure whether I can make a better deal on my own (which I probably can).

As Peregrina stated you need to check with your TA or Viking if you booked direct but if you don't want to pay for the air now you can always drop it and either book on your own later or hope Viking runs a promo later that will bring the cost down. It's a gamble because air prices may just go up but if they run a promo later you can always add the air at the promotional rate.

Reminder to stretchcruz ... If your cruise begins in Bergen and ends in Stockholm you cannot use the custom air option and if you want to stay over a few days after your cruise that is considered a deviation and is subject to a $100/pp fee plus the cost of additional fare Viking may incur. So be sure and talk it all out with your TA... You might be better off doing it on your own.

I'm sure you are probably right - was hoping I could prolong it until I am sure whether I can make a better deal on my own (which I probably can).

If you book with Viking for air you get their price. We did this. After booking I couldn't find air fare at the price they were quoting. When we approached them about extending the time on each end we were told of additional costs that would be entailed. We found better prices than the original quote for the exact time we wanted. We then contacted Viking and got a complete refund on our fare because we were still far enough out. You still have to arrange your transfers but if you go in early or stay late you have to do the same with Viking and they don't refund the money they charged for services they are no longer providing.

We saved around $600.

We are Barcelona to Stockholm and I'm 99% sure we are doing our own air. Not that much more than Viking I can use my Capital One points and a taxi from the airport in Barcelona to the cruise port is only about $30 for both of us

I think I'd rather book my own air and seats.

If you book with Viking for air you get their price. We did this. After booking I couldn't find air fare at the price they were quoting. When we approached them about extending the time on each end we were told of additional costs that would be entailed. We found better prices than the original quote for the exact time we wanted. We then contacted Viking and got a complete refund on our fare because we were still far enough out. You still have to arrange your transfers but if you go in early or stay late you have to do the same with Viking and they don't refund the money they charged for services they are no longer providing.

We saved around $600.

Yes, you get their price but not necessarily the airline you want to travel with. We are going with the Premium Economy - those that have traveled via PE - know that it's a crap shoot on which airline you get - and there are only a few airlines that truly have a PE section. Even using Viking Custom Travel is no guarantee that you'll get the airline you want (in our case we want to travel via Air New Zealand to LHR as their PE Section is just as good as many airlines Business Class).

Yes, you get their price but not necessarily the airline you want to travel with. We are going with the Premium Economy - those that have traveled via PE - know that it's a crap shoot on which airline you get - and there are only a few airlines that truly have a PE section. Even using Viking Custom Travel is no guarantee that you'll get the airline you want (in our case we want to travel via Air New Zealand to LHR as their PE Section is just as good as many airlines Business Class).

Just to clarify for all readers who have not been following palermo's threads (he really has been picking our brains), he is on an itinerary that starts or ends in Bergen and Custom Air is not available on any itinerary that flies in or out of Bergen. Therefore, if he uses Viking Air for his PE seat, he is stuck with whichever airline and whichever flight plan Viking chooses for him. (N.B., there is also a deviation permitted to fly in to/out of Oslo but that also is very restricted; you should get the details directly from Viking just so that you are clear about them).

Under other circumstances (i.e., any itinerary or air promotion that allows custom air and deviations), he would at least be able to pay the custom air fee and find out what price (plus air deviation fee and loss of transfers) Viking is offering for him to fly on New Zealand Air. There may or may not be an upcharge and it may or may not be cheaper than booking your own. You don't know until you talk with Viking and do the research.

For myself, I use Viking Air because so far their pricing has been much, much more favorable than I could have found for myself flying out of Boston--and it includes transfers. However, there are others who don't because they are very good at finding air deals and they can do better on their own. Each case is different and no one choice is right for everyone.

Even using Viking Custom Travel is no guarantee that you'll get the airline you want

Well, actually, this isn't entirely true.

It is true if no custom air is offered on the itinerary or promotion. You take whatever Viking assigns you. Period.

It is true, if custom air is available and you are only willing to pay the promotional price for your flights, but at least you will get to choose from what Viking is offering at the promotional price--which may or may not include the airline you want and the precise routing you want--and on some airlines you may even get to choose yours seats in advance.

However, if you are willing to accept an upcharge on the promotional price, you can choose your airline as well. You won't know until you ask if it is a good deal and you will have to pay the custom air fee in order to talk with Viking Air (that's the way it works). Viking will book you on any flights you want (except where there is no custom air offered) as long as you are willing to pay the price. [but note that this last option is not available to palermo because his itinerary starts/stops in Bergen.]

So, for those coming in in the middle of the discussion, I hope this clears up some of the confusion on a very topic.

Just to clarify for all readers who have not been following palermo's threads (he really has been picking our brains), he is on an itinerary that starts or ends in Bergen and Custom Air is not available on any itinerary that flies in or out of Bergen. Therefore, if he uses Viking Air for his PE seat, he is stuck with whichever airline and whichever flight plan Viking chooses for him. (N.B., there is also a deviation permitted to fly in to/out of Oslo but that also is very restricted; you should get the details directly from Viking just so that you are clear about them).

Under other circumstances (i.e., any itinerary or air promotion that allows custom air and deviations), he would at least be able to pay the custom air fee and find out what price (plus air deviation fee and loss of transfers) Viking is offering for him to fly on New Zealand Air. There may or may not be an upcharge and it may or may not be cheaper than booking your own. You don't know until you talk with Viking and do the research.

For myself, I use Viking Air because so far their pricing has been much, much more favorable than I could have found for myself flying out of Boston--and it includes transfers. However, there are others who don't because they are very good at finding air deals and they can do better on their own. Each case is different and no one choice is right for everyone.

Well, actually, this isn't entirely true.

It is true if no custom air is offered on the itinerary or promotion. You take whatever Viking assigns you. Period.

It is true, if custom air is available and you are only willing to pay the promotional price for your flights, but at least you will get to choose from what Viking is offering at the promotional price--which may or may not include the airline you want and the precise routing you want--and on some airlines you may even get to choose yours seats in advance.

However, if you are willing to accept an upcharge on the promotional price, you can choose your airline as well. You won't know until you ask if it is a good deal and you will have to pay the custom air fee in order to talk with Viking Air (that's the way it works). Viking will book you on any flights you want (except where there is no custom air offered) as long as you are willing to pay the price. [but note that this last option is not available to palermo because his itinerary starts/stops in Bergen.]

So, for those coming in in the middle of the discussion, I hope this clears up some of the confusion on a very topic.

You might have me mixed up with someone else: my itinerary begins in Barcelona and terminates in Stockholm. The rest of what you state is correct - but to clarify: I most likely can do better on my own but it is still the roll of the dice. My big thing with Viking is that I want to stop off at LHR for one night and catch our breath since we are flying directly from LAX. I wanted to be somewhat rested before we get on the ship - with Viking calling this a deviation it amounts to my wife and I paying $300 to take a rest stop at LHR - that alone is why I believe we can do better on our own.

Jerry we were thinking of stopping in London on the way back since Stockholm to Tucson is so long. British Air is only $65 and hotel airports around $80. I think we decided not to do that but I did the research anyway. The flights are open for our dates now so I've been spending hours....

I just booked May 2018 and our final payment is due 6 months prior to our departure. I too am thinking of canceling the PE air that we have bought with Viking. For $2000.00pp I think we can find a lower price and have control over our flights. We live in San Diego, Ca.

My travel agent told me you can cancel up until the tickets have been ticketed.I think that is 6 months prior. I would confirm with your travel agent to be safe. We usually book as soon as possible so i will know if I can beat their price. Just the fee to go early is $200.00 for us. They said they gave us 1000.00 off air but that means it was over $3000,00 pp for PE.

You might have me mixed up with someone else: my itinerary begins in Barcelona and terminates in Stockholm. The rest of what you state is correct - but to clarify: I most likely can do better on my own but it is still the roll of the dice. My big thing with Viking is that I want to stop off at LHR for one night and catch our breath since we are flying directly from LAX. I wanted to be somewhat rested before we get on the ship - with Viking calling this a deviation it amounts to my wife and I paying $300 to take a rest stop at LHR - that alone is why I believe we can do better on our own.

Oh, dear! Yes I did! Sorry.

Between you and the other guy who is flying through Bergen, it only goes to show just how complicated making air arrangements can be. Every situation is different and there is no one "right answer" that works for everybody.

My travel agent told me you can cancel up until the tickets have been ticketed.I think that is 6 months prior. I would confirm with your travel agent to be safe. We usually book as soon as possible so i will know if I can beat their price. Just the fee to go early is $200.00 for us. They said they gave us 1000.00 off air but that means it was over $3000,00 pp for PE.

I don't think that it is as far out as 6 months. But as you said, confirm this with your TA or Viking rep.

Flying on our London/Bergen trip we didn't find out our air arrangements until about 77 days out and I read on the Viking website that you can elect custom air, where it is available, up until 65 days before departure (which would seem to indicate that they ticket around 65 days out, allowing those who see their arrangements and want to make changes a grace period of 10 days to opt into custom air).

BTW, Viking offers an explanation of its air services on its website.

I just booked May 2018 and our final payment is due 6 months prior to our departure. I too am thinking of canceling the PE air that we have bought with Viking. For $2000.00pp I think we can find a lower price and have control over our flights. We live in San Diego, Ca.

Well May of 2018 is a long way off and its anyone's guess what airfares will do in that time. But personally I think $2000/pp for premium economy from the west coast is pretty good. If it was me I might be inclined to hang onto that fare until I found something better. If you don't have a final payment due until 6 months prior to departure and airlines will book 11 months out you have a tidy window to look for better fares and cancel what you have with no penalty. Then if fares go through the roof between now and then you can smile smugly and keep what you have :)

Our cruise disappeared from the Viking website. Barcelona the Baltics and Beyond April 15. I emailed my TA. It's still under my Viking journey.

Just checked - still there under Ocean Cruises.

Well May of 2018 is a long way off and its anyone's guess what airfares will do in that time. But personally I think $2000/pp for premium economy from the west coast is pretty good. If it was me I might be inclined to hang onto that fare until I found something better. If you don't have a final payment due until 6 months prior to departure and airlines will book 11 months out you have a tidy window to look for better fares and cancel what you have with no penalty. Then if fares go through the roof between now and then you can smile smugly and keep what you have :)

Not to confuse anyone, I can't imagine Viking waiting for payment in full until just 6 months before the the sail date. Payment in full is always pegged to when you booked not when you sail and is within a few months of the booking date--and in some cases even less time than that.

But what you say about booking the air with Viking and cancelling if you are able to get a better price when airlines open booking for the general public 11 months before the trip makes a whole of of sense, especially if the air portion can be canceled any time before it is actually ticketed (just make sure that you ask and have a firm answer to when you must cancel the air portion by in order to get a full refund; in other words, don't depend on what you read here on CC because we can't speak for Viking).

Save

Our final payment is not due until Oct 15 for our April 15 sailing. It says so on both my TA invoice and the Viking invoice. The friends we are sailing with also have the Oct 15 final payment. Maybe our TA has some kind of deal with Viking, don't know. But it is definitely positively Oct 15. We booked Feb 19 2016.

Edited by stretchcruz

Our final payment is not due until Oct 15 for our April 15 sailing. It says so on both my TA invoice and the Viking invoice. The friends we are sailing with also have the Oct 15 final payment. Maybe our TA has some kind of deal with Viking, don't know. But it is definitely positively Oct 15. We booked Feb 19 2016.

Wow. You lucked out. I booked in February 10 for end of December and had to pay in full by mid-April. Now I know that in the future I can ask to have the paid in full date pushed out.

Not to confuse anyone, I can't imagine Viking waiting for payment in full until just 6 months before the the sail date. Payment in full is always pegged to when you booked not when you sail and is within a few months of the booking date--and in some cases even less time than that.

But what you say about booking the air with Viking and cancelling if you are able to get a better price when airlines open booking for the general public 11 months before the trip makes a whole of of sense, especially if the air portion can be canceled any time before it is actually ticketed (just make sure that you ask and have a firm answer to when you must cancel the air portion by in order to get a full refund; in other words, don't depend on what you read here on CC because we can't speak for Viking).

Save

We booked in March of this year for an early June, 2017 cruise and final payment isn't due until 12/31/2016. I rechecked the invoice to make sure of the date. So that is just 5 months and a couple of days before sail date.