Princess history

Photo_Traveler

Hello,

First, This thread is subject to be moved to the Photo Threads.

At this link are photos of the Fair Princess in 1990/91 (Fairsea), Star Princess (1991) and the prior Pacific Princess (1982). The Viking Serenade is also shown as they paralleled our Mexican Riviera cruise in 1990.

Of these ships, I believe they are all operational except the Fair Princess (Scrapped..sad history). There may be some interior photos to scan of the Fairsea.

Here is the link: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-k8JLgf/

Note: Slideshow mode is the best way to view the Pix. (Right facing arrow)

The Sea Venture of Flagship Cruises (1971) became Pacific Princess from 1975-2002. She was scrapped in 2013 in Aliaga. EM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Pacific

Great Info! Thank You! I hadn't researched that ship. On first glance, it looked like the class of ship that might have been picked up by Thompson or another cruise line. The Star was just picked up by a British cruise line and is set to sail this season...

Those pictures sure bring back memories of a great pair of ships. Fair and Dawn were such wonderful vessels and there still was a bit of the old Sitmar feeling aboard. I had a sailing booked on Fair Majesty's fourth voyage, and by the time was finished building, she emerged as Star Princess which you captured under Lions Gate Bridge. Thanks for sharing.

Those pictures sure bring back memories of a great pair of ships. Fair and Dawn were such wonderful vessels and there still was a bit of the old Sitmar feeling aboard. I had a sailing booked on Fair Majesty's fourth voyage, and by the time was finished building, she emerged as Star Princess which you captured under Lions Gate Bridge. Thanks for sharing.

You're Welcome! We lived in North Seattle when I captured the Lion's Gate Shots. Vancouver was a short two plus hours away. Usually, we were in BC ten times a year. During EXPO, it was more like twenty. :)

Once I find the other shots of the cabin, interior and Bridge of the Fair Princess, I'll scan and upload them.....

Thanks for this! What I miss most about ships from that era are the full-size lounge chairs on the promenade decks. Much quieter than the pool area loungers for those of us who like to read or relax and watch the sea go by.

I think the ships in the same class as the HAL Maasdam still have those types of loungers on the Promenade deck.

Great Info! Thank You! I hadn't researched that ship. On first glance, it looked like the class of ship that might have been picked up by Thompson or another cruise line. The Star was just picked up by a British cruise line and is set to sail this season...

The old Star Princess is currently sailing as P&O Australia's Pacific Pearl. She will leave their fleet in March 2017 having been sold to Cruise & Maritime Voyages and will be renamed Columbus.

Thanks for posting. The Fair Princess was our second Princess cruise probably about 1990. Brings back memories.

Cheers,

We might have crossed paths.... On the video, I have the balloon release, Princess Mariachi band, horn blasts as we pass the harbor light... Baked Alaska parade, and shots toward the intercom to catch the xylophone call to Dinner.

We had a tiny porthole and were in the second row above the water line. The beds were like berths and stayed in place... No queen size bed conversions:)

I think the ships in the same class as the HAL Maasdam still have those types of loungers on the Promenade deck.

Yes, they are about the last mass-market ships that still have them. Some of the lounge chairs are now reserved for Lanai Suite passengers only. Last I knew, however, there are still some available to all passengers onboard. I will be sad when they eventually leave the HAL fleet.

Hello,

First, This thread is subject to be moved to the Photo Threads.

At this link are photos of the Fair Princess in 1990/91 (Fairsea), Star Princess (1991) and the prior Pacific Princess (1982). The Viking Serenade is also shown as they paralleled our Mexican Riviera cruise in 1990.

Of these ships, I believe they are all operational except the Fair Princess (Scrapped..sad history). There may be some interior photos to scan of the Fairsea.

Here is the link: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-k8JLgf/

Note: Slideshow mode is the best way to view the Pix. (Right facing arrow)

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the link.....:):):)

Bob

Yes, they are about the last mass-market ships that still have them. Some of the lounge chairs are now reserved for Lanai Suite passengers only. Last I knew, however, there are still some available to all passengers onboard. I will be sad when they eventually leave the HAL fleet.

I agree! We had that type of lounge chair on the Ryndam in 2010. The MS Nederland in 1968 had similar lounge chairs on the Rhine....

It's probable that we can still have that experience on the boutique lines that use the older ships...

I agree! We had that type of lounge chair on the Ryndam in 2010. The MS Nederland in 1968 had similar lounge chairs on the Rhine....

It's probable that we can still have that experience on the boutique lines that use the older ships...

Those types of lounges chairs can be found on the Sun-class ships, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, Island Princess and Coral Princess... they all have wide Promenades.

Those types of lounges chairs can be found on the Sun-class ships, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, Island Princess and Coral Princess... they all have wide Promenades.

Good to know! I somehow thought that Princess had switched to benches and upright chairs only on prom decks across the fleet. Glad there are a few ships with lounges remaining.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. Very interesting to see the changes to the various ports, especially Cabo. Your tender photos from Puerto Vallarta reminded me of our first cruise back in 1991. We were docked in PV on the Carnival Jubilee, and the Dawn Princess was anchored offshore and tendering. Here's a photo I took of the Dawn:

5577491641_43cd369eca_z.jpg

Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. Very interesting to see the changes to the various ports, especially Cabo. Your tender photos from Puerto Vallarta reminded me of our first cruise back in 1991. We were docked in PV on the Carnival Jubilee, and the Dawn Princess was anchored offshore and tendering. Here's a photo I took of the Dawn:

5577491641_43cd369eca_z.jpg

Great Photo! We lived in Seattle (Now Shoreline) at the time we cruised on the Fair Princess.

I just found sixty more images of the 1990 cruise that I'm running through the scanner. Hope to update he photo sharing site in a few hours.

You're Welcome! We lived in North Seattle when I captured the Lion's Gate Shots. Vancouver was a short two plus hours away. Usually, we were in BC ten times a year. During EXPO, it was more like twenty. :)

Once I find the other shots of the cabin, interior and Bridge of the Fair Princess, I'll scan and upload them.....

Love the old Star and the Viking Serenade.

Took my Mom on the VS to Catalina/Ensenada.

Thanks for sharing the great shots.