Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Well it has rained all day today and rain is forecast for tomorrow , Monday should be O.K Illetas is in a micro climate and it might be raining elsewhere but sunny in Illetas.

Go to the town in the morning the shops will be open and then go to the beach if the weather is O.K.

Get the No 3 bus it stops in the town at the top of the Passieg Born outside C.and A until you get to the last stop on the route and you will be at Illetas Beach.

Thank you for that fast response. I am a little confused about where I am getting the bus. At the port? Inside the town? Unfamiliar with the Passieg Born and C and A. Thanks.

Thank you for that fast response. I am a little confused about where I am getting the bus. At the port? Inside the town? Unfamiliar with the Passieg Born and C and A. Thanks.
The no 3 bus runs from the town ( see google maps ) for Passieg Born if you wish to go to the beach from the port cross the main road and turn left you will come to Porto Pi it is a shopping centre you can also get No 3 bus to Illetas from there

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Roger,

Too many similar street names. I can follow my route from Mercat de l'Olivar via carrer de Sant Miguel to Placa Major. From there when I go down the steps I believe you are suggesting I make my way to Avinguda de Juame III. I can see C & A; el Corte Ingles on that Avenue......I can see where Juame III intersects with Passeig Mallorca. I can't see where I get to Passeig Born.

Once I reach that intersection of Juame III and Mallorca am I close to the Cathedral?

Thanks

After looking further I did see that if I do not turn left at Passeig Mallorca but instead backtrack from el Corte Ingles......Making a right on Placa del Rei Joan Carles will lead be to Passeig Born and lead me to the Cathedral.........not sure which route is best.

Edited by martyap

Hi Roger,

Too many similar street names. I can follow my route from Mercat de l'Olivar via carrer de Sant Miguel to Placa Major. From there when I go down the steps I believe you are suggesting I make my way to Avinguda de Juame III. I can see C & A; el Corte Ingles on that Avenue......I can see where Juame III intersects with Passeig Mallorca. I can't see where I get to Passeig Born.

Once I reach that intersection of Juame III and Mallorca am I close to the Cathedral?

Thanks

After looking further I did see that if I do not turn left at Passeig Mallorca but instead backtrack from el Corte Ingles......Making a right on Placa del Rei Joan Carles will lead be to Passeig Born and lead me to the Cathedral.........not sure which route is best.

Ok ! I understand why it is confusing as I know it so well, as you have found Jaume 3 walk past Cort Ingles within 100 yds you will reach the top of Jaume 3 you will see a Water soak away that is Passieg Mallorca.

Turn immediately left do not cross the soak away walk in a straight line from there( you will pass the Hotel Saratoga ) in front of you will come to a square (Pl Porta de Santa) and see the Museum a bit to the right in front of you .

To make your way back to the cathedral you turn left into Sant Pere this leads to ( Pl Drassan ) keep going until you reach the Cathedral.

I’m also confused about where to get the number 3 bus from the port.

I’ve read that it’s across the flyover, but at which dock is the flyover?

How can I find out which dock the NCL ships dock at?

Apologies if this has been covered already but I’m trying to read 18 pages very quickly!

I’m also confused about where to get the number 3 bus from the port.

I’ve read that it’s across the flyover, but at which dock is the flyover?

How can I find out which dock the NCL ships dock at?

Apologies if this has been covered already but I’m trying to read 18 pages very quickly!

Hi, No 3 bus Runs from Palma to Illetas if you look at google maps Type in Avinguda de Joan Miro this road is across the bridge over the road running along the sea front.

If your ship docks at the new cruise terminal and one never knows where your ship will dock as it is dependent on size and how many ships are in port that day.

You will then have to walk from the terminal to the Porto Pi shopping center you will see this on Google maps.

The front of the bus will display Illetas and the bus stop is on the far side of the road , the buses run every 10 mins--- Hope this helps .

Hi Roger.....I have read many of the posts and it looks like the huge Symphony will dock at Porto Pi. Since this is more of an industrial port could we just walk out to get a taxi? I know we could get a shuttle to the Cathedral for 10e pp r/t and that is an option. Really wanted to just get a taxi to Mercat de l’Olivar. Do you think that would be too $$$?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:29 AM, roger b said:

I see no Problem with this if you are using my suggestions in earlier threads ,it is a wild and beautiful part of the island and you will be visiting there when it will not be crowded.

Take time to visit the monastery of Lluc and have lunch there or my other suggestion which is near by,

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/sa-calobra/

http://www.esvergeret.com/index.php?lang=2

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/religious/lluc-sanctuary-lluc

Roger,

THANK YOU! We visited Monday and although the weather was not good, we had a wonderful day.  Arash was great to work with. We saw the beach at Sa Calobra as I never expected and lunch at Es Vereget was lovely.  We are looking forward to returning and seeing the difference with calm water and blue skies.  The island was spectacular.  I will post a picture when I can.  My husband showed video of the water to the man running one of the cafes and he was shocked!  What a drive!  What weather!  6 degrees C  and sleet at one of the higher points!  We loved the day despite the weather.  Thanks again!!

Barb

How unfortunate you arrived on the worst days weather for a week we basked in 70 degrees the week before , Very happy you enjoyed yourself in miserable weather , you took on a very adventurous trip, Well done !!! This was not for the faint hearted !!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Roger

You do a fantastic job trying to help everyone, so now it's my turn.

We are arriving on the MSC Sinfonia on Thursday Nov 29. I am fairly mobile, but do use a cane sometimes. We were considering the HoHo bus as we feel we would get to see more of the city by using it.

So, my questions:

How can I find exactly where the Sinfonia docks?

According to the HoHo site, we can board the HoHo at stop #14 near the cruise terminal. Is that recommended?

Now, they have 18 stops on the line, and I do not think we will be able to get off at all of them, so which might you recommend as 'must' sees and we should get off?

I read that there is a Jewish Quarter, in the city. We are of the Jewish faith and would like to see this area. Is it on the route of the HoHo?

Lastly, we can get a senior rate for the HoHo at $20 for 2 which we feel is a good deal. Does this route go all the way to the Castle, as I see that is a different color.

Also, are most of the shops/restaurants etc. open in these off season months?

Thanks for any suggestions you can help us with

Cheers

Len

On 9/13/2018 at 9:55 AM, roger b said:

It is a 40/50mi walk to the Cathedral if you are docked at the paseo maritimo , If you are docked at the new cruise terminal it will take 75 mins.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Just wanted to say that this was definitely correct. We were there via NCL Epic and it was definitely about 40-50 mins walking. It was a pleasant walk too with not much crowd. We were a bit worried when we first got off the ship and the docked looked HUGE and wasn't sure where to start walking. There was a huge liine at the HOHO bus, but i remember reading it was walkable.. so I busted out my google maps and followed it. Pretty easy after crossing the initial bridge.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Hello Roger

You do a fantastic job trying to help everyone, so now it's my turn.

We are arriving on the MSC Sinfonia on Thursday Nov 29. I am fairly mobile, but do use a cane sometimes. We were considering the HoHo bus as we feel we would get to see more of the city by using it.

So, my questions:

How can I find exactly where the Sinfonia docks?

According to the HoHo site, we can board the HoHo at stop #14 near the cruise terminal. Is that recommended?

Now, they have 18 stops on the line, and I do not think we will be able to get off at all of them, so which might you recommend as 'must' sees and we should get off?

I read that there is a Jewish Quarter, in the city. We are of the Jewish faith and would like to see this area. Is it on the route of the HoHo?

Lastly, we can get a senior rate for the HoHo at $20 for 2 which we feel is a good deal. Does this route go all the way to the Castle, as I see that is a different color.

Also, are most of the shops/restaurants etc. open in these off season months?

Thanks for any suggestions you can help us with

Cheers

Len

Ok I will do my best here ! Where the ship docks is governed by how many ships are in the  port , is you are lucky it will dock close to the cruise  terminal  , it is still quite a walk to the exit where the Ho Ho bus stops. 

If the ship docks at the new dock is is a long distance to the HoHo bus and you wiĺl have to get the ships shuttle into Palma it stops opposite  the Cathedral  where there is another stop for the HoHo bus stop.

The bus does go to Belver Castle , I have always thought that the Ho Ho bus will just give an over veiw of the town, and you would need to walk to see more , l have given plenty  of ideas if you look back.

If you can find a tour of the Jewish quarter I would do that they do have a free one by the tourist board on certain days, being Jewish myself I have done the tour there is not much left I am afraid  and consists  of two streets and you need alot of imagination  to see anything.

Lastly all the shops and restaurants  wiĺl be open. 

Have great day in this beautiful  city ! !

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, roger b said:

Ok I will do my best here ! Where the ship docks is governed by how many ships are in the  port , is you are lucky it will dock close to the cruise  terminal  , it is still quite a walk to the exit where the Ho Ho bus stops. 

If the ship docks at the new dock is is a long distance to the HoHo bus and you wiĺl have to get the ships shuttle into Palma it stops opposite  the Cathedral  where there is another stop for the HoHo bus stop.

The bus does go to Belver Castle , I have always thought that the Ho Ho bus will just give an over veiw of the town, and you would need to walk to see more , l have given plenty  of ideas if you look back.

If you can find a tour of the Jewish quarter I would do that they do have a free one by the tourist board on certain days, being Jewish myself I have done the tour there is not much left I am afraid  and consists  of two streets and you need alot of imagination  to see anything.

Lastly all the shops and restaurants  wiĺl be open. 

Have great day in this beautiful  city ! !

Just a shout out to Roger here.

We got back from our cruising the other day and we are trying to catch up on everything. As Roger suggested, we did the HoHo bus and got off at the old city and explored it and loved it. We then went to the castle and spent some great time there. This was our goal, to spend the day in this city as it is our first time there and we wanted to get the feel, instead of just seeing it and sunning out somewhere else. 

We had a marvelous time and again, thank you roger for all your help.

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2016 at 5:04 AM, canadian9981 said:

My family and I will be on Harmony visiting Palma de Mallorca in August. I have read that this port is easy for DIY. I have a few questions:

- Does RCL offer a shuttle from the port to the Old Town?

- If they do have a shuttle, how much do they charge?

- How far is Bellver Castle from The Cathedral area? Is it walking distance?

- If not walkable, are taxis readily available to and back from the castle?

- How much will the taxi ride cost?

Thanks for any recommendation you can offer.

We did Palma de Mallorca by our own. We took a bus and went to the city center. Then by the main street we went to the Cathedral de Mallorca. We love to walk. And it was a nice day although it was November

Hi Roger,

We will be on MSC Seaview calling at Palma on Friday, Oct. 4 from 1:00 pm to 10:30 pm.

We have been to Palma before and spent our time in the Cathedral and walking around the old town, so this time we want to see more of Mallorca.

My original plan was to try to take the train to Soller [there is a 1:30 train - cutting it close?], explore a bit, then take a taxi to Deia, Son Marroig, Miramar and Valldemossa, have dinner at Casa sa Miranda, and taxi back to the ship.

First question:  is this reasonable?  If yes, how many taxis?

Second question:  is it more reasonable if we rent a car from Arash?  [We would be driving back from Valldemossa after dark.]

Third question:  I picked the above sights because travel books highlighted them, but through this thread I learned about the hike to Fornalutx.  In your opinion, would it make a better day to go to Fornalutx, hike back to Soller and then back to Palma?

Final question:  if we stay with some variation of the first plan, would we get a better meal at Casa sa Miranda or at a restaurant in Palma?

Thanks again for all your great advice on this thread!

• Like 1

Roger, thank you for being such a wealth of information to everyone here!  If you have the time, I'd like to get your opinion of this tour offered by Spain Day Tours:

Palma awaits you all year round. Get to know the history of the city by strolling through the heart of its old quarter. Its Roman, Muslim and Christian past make it an amazing city to visit. With this tour that takes you through its peaceful streets, you will discover the rich heritage of its buildings, squares, palaces, courtyards and gardens, like the cathedral, the Almudaina Palace, the city’s ancient walls, the Lonja building, or the City Hall. Enjoy the most beautiful panoramic view of the city from the Bellver Castle.

The charming village of Valldemossa is only 30 minutes drive away from Palma, nestled in the mountains on the western part of the island.  This small village is a jumble of cobbled lanes and houses with walls totaling up the sunny slopes. The place was always ideal for writers and music composers seeking inspiration. No wonder that Frederic Chopin and George Sand spent the romantic winter of 1838-1839 in Valldemossa´s Carthusian Monastery with its beautiful gardens and 17th and 18th century cloisters. A mini piano concert in the Palace of the King Sancho is organized every hour and it is included in the entrance fees you have to pay at this unique tourist attraction (8 Euros).

The ship is also offering a bicycling tour:

Discover the allure of Palma on a carefree biking tour that delivers a captivating close look at some of the
city’s most important attractions. Leaving the port, ride along the waterfront until you find yourself enveloped
by the Park de la Mar. Continue in the shadows of Palma’s ancient walls and venture along streets lined with
Gothic grandeur. Visit the Convent of Santa Clara, the Church of San Francisco, and, of course, the great
Roman Catholic Cathedral known locally as, La Seu. The return trip takes you through the heart of life in
Palma. Visit the Placa Major, the city’s main square, a sprawling rectangle bordered by arcaded Spanish
buildings and countless shops. Continue through vibrant marketplaces, including La Rambla and El Olivar
Market. Along the way, stop at a favorite tapas bar to refuel with Spanish appetizers and share stories of your
live-it-like-a-local Palma exploration.

Normally my preference would be the bicycling tour as I like to be active, but I'm not sure we'll ever be in Palma de Mallorca again, so I thought the longer tour might be worthwhile.  Either tour will essentially be free, as I have tour credit from Spain Day Tours, and OBC from the cruise line.  Our trip will be in October on Azamara Pursuit.  Your opinion would be greatly appreciated :classic_smile:

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 1