Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
canadian9981

Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Wiseone24 said:

In speaking with my friend, is there a beach you recommend that we can take a taxi to and back to the port easily from and just rent chairs there? And be nearby for places to get lunch? NCL takes you to Palma Nova but it is only 4 hours and I don't want to leave the beach at 1pm! https://www.ncl.com/shorex/219828571/41330557/shorex-detail/PMIN67#?productType=EXCURSION&lang=&date=

If you look back to page 17 post 421 I have posted pictures of my recommendation ,there are 3 beaches in Illetas  which Is about 12/14 euros in a taxi and 15 mins from the port and has a good beach bar.

 https://www.abc-mallorca.com/illetes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkto said:

100 series buses go to Palma Nova. Takes around 30 min and fare in 3€ ballpark. Most go via waterfront not far from cruise dock. Can check info here

 https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/autobus/seccio/100

 Palma Nova is much further than Illetas and the buses are very crowded on this route , you might find it difficult to get back to the port  !!! without taking a taxi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, roger b said:

If you look back to page 17 post 421 I have posted pictures of my recommendation ,there are 3 beaches in Illetas  which Is about 12/14 euros in a taxi and 15 mins from the port and has a good beach bar.

 https://www.abc-mallorca.com/illetes/

Thanks! We have decided to go to Balneario Illetas.  For future reference, premium sun bed´s price is 28€ per person and includes towel rental, sunshade, mineral water and fruit salad. You pay upon arrival. They confirmed the reservation quickly via email.   This looks like a nice destination (right next to Purobeach) and much cheaper considering we'd only be able to enjoy the amenities until mid-afternoon. And the menu for the restaurant looks decent too! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiseone24 said:

Thanks! We have decided to go to Balneario Illetas.  For future reference, premium sun bed´s price is 28€ per person and includes towel rental, sunshade, mineral water and fruit salad. You pay upon arrival. They confirmed the reservation quickly via email.   This looks like a nice destination (right next to Purobeach) and much cheaper considering we'd only be able to enjoy the amenities until mid-afternoon. And the menu for the restaurant looks decent too! 🙂

 A wise choice Same sea, same beach and you won't be ripped off and be all the wan a be's that inhabit Puro !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 4:27 PM, roger b said:

Will it be too cool in October to spend the day at the beach, and will the water be colder then?  I'm from CT, so I'm used to colder water temps., within reason!   We will be in Palma the third week in October and I was hoping to have a beach day and swim in the Med.  Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, barbnbrian said:

Will it be too cool in October to spend the day at the beach, and will the water be colder then?  I'm from CT, so I'm used to colder water temps., within reason!   We will be in Palma the third week in October and I was hoping to have a beach day and swim in the Med.  Thanks!

 

 No, October is my best month here in Majorca .The crowds have left the weather is settled and sea temperature warm enough  to swim ( 22 degrees)  I shall be on  the beach  everyday ,you might get one bad day lets hope its not the one when you are there. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 12:41 AM, barbnbrian said:

Will it be too cool in October to spend the day at the beach, and will the water be colder then?  I'm from CT, so I'm used to colder water temps., within reason!   We will be in Palma the third week in October and I was hoping to have a beach day and swim in the Med.  Thanks!

 

Well, the water is rather warm (21° C/ 69° F) but the air temperature is "only" around 19° C/66° F with approx. 6 hours of sun.

For us europeans it is usually too cold for the beach at that time of the year in Mallorca. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to come back to this post as I had asked a question months ago.  We were in Palma de Mallorca on July 18th.  We had booked the Valdamossa tour, and it was very enjoyable.  It's a cute little town and very historical.    Then, a stop at the glass blowing factory, then back to the ship.  Husbands boarded ship, and we (3 women) went to the beach for about an hour.  Taxi stop was right at end of terminal.  I thought I asked for Cala Mayor, but we ended up at Palma Nova.  (For 3 women, it was about 20 euro maybe?)  Beach was very nice, not too crowded.  We did not rent umbrella or chairs as we knew we only had a short amount of time.  (We did not have time to run into any of the shops or restaurants, so I'm not sure what was actually there,)  Our taxi driver knew we were concerned to get back to the ship on time, so she pointed out the exact taxi stand to return.  When we were done, a taxi showed up in about 5 minutes.  It seemed like a shorter ride (and less money) back to the port.   FYI:   It is a long walk from the ship to the end of the terminal.  (Tour buses come right to the ship, taxi stand is at the end of the terminal).  On another note, we had a couple with us on the cruise, and they chose to do something else in the morning, then try to take the bus to the beach,.  I don't know what bus or which beach, but there was a lot of traffic, and the boyfriend got a little panicked so they got off the bus at the first opportunity, and got on one returning to the port.  They never made it the the beach that day.  In my opinion, taxi is the way to go.  Both of our drivers were very nice, and professional, and if you have 3 or 4 people, it is not expensive at all.  Thank you, Roger B and anyone else who have been giving pointers and suggestions on this lovely port.  We would go back to Palma de Mallorca.    Denise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, roger b said:

 A wise choice Same sea, same beach and you won't be ripped off and be all the wan a be's that inhabit Puro !!!

 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:10 AM, Wiseone24 said:

Thanks! We have decided to go to Balneario Illetas.  For future reference, premium sun bed´s price is 28€ per person and includes towel rental, sunshade, mineral water and fruit salad. You pay upon arrival. They confirmed the reservation quickly via email.   This looks like a nice destination (right next to Purobeach) and much cheaper considering we'd only be able to enjoy the amenities until mid-afternoon. And the menu for the restaurant looks decent too! 🙂

Do they have a website in English? I would like to book but can’t read Italian. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bribrittmom said:

 

Do they have a website in English? I would like to book but can’t read Italian. Thank you

 Hi, If you look at the web page that I have posted before there is an option in English, anyway no worries here it is in English.

 

 https://balnearioilletas.com/en/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, roger b said:

 Hi, If you look at the web page that I have posted before there is an option in English, anyway no worries here it is in English.

 

 https://balnearioilletas.com/en/

Thank you. Do you know the price to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas? I didn’t see a price quote on the form. You are such a help to everyone on this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bribrittmom said:

Thank you. Do you know the price to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas? I didn’t see a price quote on the form. You are such a help to everyone on this board.

 Two parts to this beach although they are both together,there are the normal sunbeds at 7 Euros a day that are uncomfy and the back flies up when you sit up or Balneario Beach Club beds at 20 Euros a day including a bottle of water and fruit salad. The staff at Balneario are lovely and can't do enough for you, don't go to Illetas without camping out here for the afternoon, it knocks spots of Puro.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 11:00 PM, roger b said:

Yes you can also get the No 3 which runs every 10 mins No 20 is less frequent , ask the driver to put you off at Placa Gomilla ,then walk up the hill the No3 stops at the top of the Pass de Born in Palma

Hi roger b, which port terminal did your ship docked? I found that there are two different port terminal "Estacion Maritima" & "Dique Del Oeste".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have sent a map of the port the Est Maritima is the nearest to the bus stops, Dique Del Oeste is the furthest away If you are on one of the big ships this is where you would dock .

  This quay is quite a long walk to the bus stop and you would be off getting a taxi ,there is no way  of knowing which quay you will be docking at.

 

http://www.portsdebalears.com/en/buques-en-puerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roger b said:

 

Question for roger b - Do you know if the El Soller Train and the Tram to the Port de Soller are wheelchair accessible? The website does not say anything about wheelchair accessibilty and I have tried e-mailing, but have not received a response.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Question for roger b - Do you know if the El Soller Train and the Tram to the Port de Soller are wheelchair accessible? The website does not say anything about wheelchair accessibilty and I have tried e-mailing, but have not received a response.

 

Thanks

I would say no the steps up to the train are quite steep and narrow and there is no ramp .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, roger b said:

I would say no the steps up to the train are quite steep and narrow and there is no ramp .

 

Thanks - I guess its the bus for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

 

Thanks - I guess its the bus for us.

I would consider taking  a taxi  about 55 euros each way , if you had been able to take the train it is 32 euros each = 64 euros + you will have ro get to the bus station 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, roger b said:

I would consider taking  a taxi  about 55 euros each way , if you had been able to take the train it is 32 euros each = 64 euros + you will have ro get to the bus station 

Thanks for the information.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Roger for the information re rental car by Arash rental.  As our time was limited this was the best option.  It worked great, the car was waiting for us at the parking near the terminal, where we dropped it again at the end of the day. . Instructions how to do this were clear, we had no problems with it. Last Thursday we had a great day driving to Valldemosa, Deia, Port Soller, Soller etc. The car  we booked was a Opel Mokka, very comfortable for 4 adults.

It was one of the best days during our cruise!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ship will be in Palma de Mallorca on October 12th, which is a Spanish national holiday. How will this effect the city center area? Will some stores, restaurants, and sites be closed?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnChiang said:

My ship will be in Palma de Mallorca on October 12th, which is a Spanish national holiday. How will this effect the city center area? Will some stores, restaurants, and sites be closed?

 

Thanks.

The food shops will be closed but alot shops and restaurants remain open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...