No Accessible Balconies - Upgrade?

I was looking to book an accessible balcony on a specific cruise, but they are all sold out. Last week, someone in special needs told me that, if they had an accessible JS available, they would have given it to me for the same rate, but they did not. Today, my sales rep told me that there is an accessible JS available, but I would have to pay the JS rate. He asked who I had talked to in special needs, but I don't recall. Has anyone else run into this situation? Were you given an upgrade if the class you wanted did not have any accessible cabins available? Thanks in advance.

There have been varying reports of individuals being offered the next category up free of charge when an Accessible Cabin in the category they originally wanted have been sold out . However the cruise lines are not obligated by any USA law including ADA to up grade you free of charge to next available category.

The cruise lines are only required under the USA Department of Transportation Law that went into effect on January 1, 2012 for all cruises embarking from a USA port to sell an accessible cabin at the same price as all non-accessible cabins within the same category. As a side note under that same law cruise lines are permitted to sell an accessible cabin to an abled bodied person when that accessible cabin is literally the last available in that category meaning all standard cabins and all other accessible cabins with that category are sold out.

Unless you have the actual name of the person that you spoke to be it's going to be hard to hold the cruise line accountable to sell you the next available open accessible cabin at the category price you originally wanted to book. It's my belief that many of the cruise lines record the calls to customer service so it may be possible for you to contact the resolution department to ask them if they could review you recorded conversation. It would be helpful if you know that date you made the call.

Edited by xxoocruiser
There have been varying reports of individuals being offered the next category up free of charge when an Accessible Cabin in the category they originally wanted have been sold out . However the cruise lines are not obligated by any USA law including ADA to up grade you free of charge to next available category.

The cruise lines are only required under the USA Department of Transportation Law that went into effect on January 1, 2012 for all cruises embarking from a USA port to sell an accessible cabin at the same price as all non-accessible cabins within the same category. As a side note under that same law cruise lines are permitted to sell an accessible cabin to an abled bodied person when that accessible cabin is literally the last available in that category meaning all standard cabins and all other accessible cabins with that category are sold out.

Unless you have the actual name of the person that you spoke to be it's going to be hard to hold the cruise line accountable to sell you the next available open accessible cabin at the category price you originally wanted to book. It's my belief that many of the cruise lines record the calls to customer service so it may be possible for you to contact the resolution department to ask them if they could review you recorded conversation. It would be helpful if you know that date you made the call.

Thanks for the information. I do have the date and time I made the call, and have forwarded that to my sales rep. I'm not particularly hopeful though. It looks like I'm probably stuck with an accessible promenade cabin unless something changes.

• 1 month later...
I was looking to book an accessible balcony on a specific cruise, but they are all sold out. Last week, someone in special needs told me that, if they had an accessible JS available, they would have given it to me for the same rate, but they did not. Today, my sales rep told me that there is an accessible JS available, but I would have to pay the JS rate. He asked who I had talked to in special needs, but I don't recall. Has anyone else run into this situation? Were you given an upgrade if the class you wanted did not have any accessible cabins available? Thanks in advance.

We've been upgraded to the Jr Suite accessible, twice, when the accessible balconies were sold out. Didnt pay extra either time. We just called C&A when we were ready to book. YMMV.

We've been upgraded to the Jr Suite accessible, twice, when the accessible balconies were sold out. Didnt pay extra either time. We just called C&A when we were ready to book. YMMV.

Thanks again. For now I'm stuck in a promenade cabin, but my reservation has been noted to upgrade if available. I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Thanks again. For now I'm stuck in a promenade cabin, but my reservation has been noted to upgrade if available. I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Based on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2378956 you apparently are the organizer of a large group for a MS/Fibro cruise and most likely have had a block of rooms reserved including a selection of accessible cabins for the group as well as the possibility a group rate. My experience has been that when cruising with a large group at a group rate upgrades are basically non-existent even with accessible cabins.

If the cruise you're wanting a free upgrade to an accessible balcony is the same cruise referred to in the thread noted above than being that the group is a MS/Fibro cruise accessible cabins are in a high demand to begin with being that you stated " Many of them will be in scooters or wheelchairs." Being that it appears you're the organizer of the group it's perplexing as to why you didn't did book an accessible balcony when first working with your sales rep before anyone else in the group was booked ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

Further to my previous post you originally wanted to book an accessible balcony . When that wasn't available you wanted to be upgraded free of charge to an Accessible Jr. Suite. You now are booked in an Accessible Inside Promenade Cabin and expecting to be upgraded to an Accessible Balcony Cabin free of charge. IMPO it's an unreal expectation... good luck anyway.

Based on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2378956 you apparently are the organizer of a large group for a MS/Fibro cruise and most likely have had a block of rooms reserved including a selection of accessible cabins for the group as well as the possibility a group rate. My experience has been that when cruising with a large group at a group rate upgrades are basically non-existent even with accessible cabins.

If the cruise you're wanting a free upgrade to an accessible balcony is the same cruise referred to in the thread noted above than being that the group is a MS/Fibro cruise accessible cabins are in a high demand to begin with being that you stated " Many of them will be in scooters or wheelchairs." Being that it appears you're the organizer of the group it's perplexing as to why you didn't did book an accessible balcony when first working with your sales rep before anyone else in the group was booked ?

It was my own stupidity. I had forgotten about my C&A discount, and didn't want to pay what I was thinking was the extra amount for the balcony. By the time I remembered the C&A discount, all of the accessible balconies were booked. I wasn't really expecting a free upgrade to a JS, so I was surprised when the access department told me they would do it if the space was available. Once I found out there was a JS available, they said they wouldn't do that. I completely understand that.

On the other hand, all I would really need in order to fit my scooter in the cabin is an upgrade from an E3 (priced in my contract) to a category D (not in my contract, therefore much more). Considering the huge amount of business I'm bringing them, I don't think that would be unreasonable.

Either way, policy is policy. I screwed up, and will accept the consequences of that mistake.

Further to my previous post you originally wanted to book an accessible balcony . When that wasn't available you wanted to be upgraded free of charge to an Accessible Jr. Suite. You now are booked in an Accessible Inside Promenade Cabin and expecting to be upgraded to an Accessible Balcony Cabin free of charge. IMPO it's an unreal expectation... good luck anyway.

I wanted to pay for an accessible balcony, but there aren't any available.