Athens to Barcelona - Port or Starboard?

ucfjag

Which side should I be on if I want to be facing the city while in port? I've heard port side (which does make sense!) But I've also heard that it can change trip to trip.

Thanks!

I think it would depend which way the dock is facing and which way the boat pulls in, I don't think there is a standard. We figured that port side would see the sunsets most nights and starboard would see more land so we chose our cabin on that basis.

We were port side Athens to BCN. Some of the port docks are more industrial, so there just isn't a view to be had. We had a gorgeous view to wake up to in Malta and a few places, though. I was always trying to get myself and our two kids ready, so I wasn't up at the window each day in port to say in any more detail.

Not sure what ports are on your cruise, but pondering for a few seconds, there are two ports that come to mind that Carnival ships always seem to have the same orientation (not that my personal experience is by any means exhaustive).

Roatan - where ships always seem to back in, but I doubt is on that itinerary.

Monaco, where Carnival ships dock (not all Carnival brands - some tender), and the port side is toward the dock, the starboard side with a city view.

As others have said a few of the Med ports are more industrial than city so aren't that great to look over anyway.

Livorno, Civitavecchia and Athens are main ones that come to mind. You don't get much of a view in Barcelona either really depending on which berth it's in. but I think from memory the ship goes in forward and then reverses out, the city is on the Port side but I don't think you get much of a view of it.

I've been to a few Greek islands but never on a Cruise ship but i'd say it's a 50/50 chance which way it lines up.

So to answer you questions it's a hit and miss as to which side to be on. One day one side the next the other.

We've booked a balcony on the starboard side in the hope of getting the same view we did last year as we pulled in to Naples. Best sun rise we have ever seen. We woke to see it rising behind mount Vesuvius which was magical.

Best selfie pic we took to. :D