Change in Carnival Loyalty Program

volmoma

The point is the levels should be a bell curve. It's jammed with the FTTF, Platinum and Diamond people already, as example. HOW, do you speculate that will work when 1/3 or more people "qualify"??? How "fast" do you think that boarding is going to be?

And there sure are a lot of costs involved in perks. As for the laundry- yes, it WILL take longer, with larger numbers of people using it, do you think they are going to add staff and more machines- in an already crowded, limited space? Again as an example.

Not sure why you think you're being "looked" down upon? Some people have sailed a lot more than you, but they were once in the same place you may be in now. Not everyone- did 3 day cruises. They paid for those sailings (before all the freebies there are today).

It may be of benefit to try other cruise lines. There are a lot of great ships and itineraries out there, that Carnival does not offer. There are differences you may find more to your liking.

I still don't think the perks cost Carnival more than a couple bucks. Even so, it is more than offset by the sale of FTTF which we all know is pure profit. Laundry machines still run either way and not everyone utilizes it. If it's that big of a deal for Platinum to get 2 free bags, then reduce it to 1. Diamond gets unlimited, so reduce it to 2 bags or whatever is manageable.

I have paid for my cruises just the same as everyone else. Carnival is the one that came out with their loyalty program and I will still feel very upset if they change it again and I am left high and dry.

While I don't cruise a specific line because of loyalty status, it may have swayed me a couple times when comparing different lines. I look forward to benefits that I have earned by staying faithful to Carnival and now expect them to hold up their end.

As far as embarkation goes, it's not that difficult to stagger it like Celebrity does. Another perk that doesn't cost anything yet is a nice one to partake in.

You're right about other ships and itineraries being out there. I've never stepped foot on a RC ship, yet I'm Platinum there because of my status with Celebrity so that's a possibility. I just don't think it's too much to ask for Carnival to hold up their end of the bargain. Especially to those of us that have spent the days and money with them even when they keep changing the rules.

If they really care about keeping their customers happy they will find a way to make it work. And if I don't like it, then I will say adios to Carnival with a tear in my eye and good memories.

I hope I am getting all worked up over nothing. I wish they would just come out with it already so I can tell my family members to stick with the Vista or try RC. They haven't been on either so it won't make a difference to them. Thankfully I didn't book them Early Saver and it's too early to get airfare yet.

Try Princess' date=' it is a lot like Carnival used to be and even have nice production shows.[/quote']

That's an idea. Honestly I would probably go back to Celebrity or try out RC. Lots of my friends love RC and I'm Platinum on there because of my Select Status on Celebrity.

I hope they don't mess things up too bad and that I can live with whatever changes they are going to make on Carnival. I really do enjoy cruising on them and I would miss my Chocolate Melting Cake [emoji17].

So how many days or dollars should one have to spend to be considered worthy of what Carnival says we will get by remaining loyal to them?

I don't want something for nothing. I am spending money with them and in return Carnival says I will get these little extras that really don't cost them anything in the grand scheme of things. I HAVE EARNED them according to their program. I'm not asking to be comped a higher status, I'm not demanding a refund for my cruise because we missed a port, or OBC because of some off the wall complaint. I'm asking for what I have EARNED according to Carnival's program.

I agree with you. You can spend $62.50 or less (double star days) at Starbucks and get a free drink at any time without any expiration (let's say ~$5 worth because people opt for the specialty drinks with that reward perk). Or you can spend thousands of dollars, let's say three 7 day cruises and be a Red VIFP and yet get only a bottle of water retailing for less than $5. Go on ten 7 day cruises, spend several more thousands, be Gold VIFP and get a bottle of water plus a drink coupon that can only be used after 5PM on the last cruise night (oh, and a pin that cost a few cents to make). It's a bit comical, really. Those thousands of dollars paid should earn a little respect, it's silly to say perks are for people who earned them, as if that money wasn't worthy of earning anything yet. Not to mention that the more cruises you take, the more your friends and family become interested and the more people you recruit to Carnival cruising.

They don't have to give people the world for loyalty but when they cut things that save them $1 per person wholesale (e.g. brunch drink coupon to water bottle) but upset a lot of people, it doesn't seem like the loyalty program even means anything to them beyond PR.

Others have stated they will look around if the cuts are too deep to their liking. I think they will convert everyone to the days that they have sailed and add a tier or maybe two like Diamond plus and Platinum plus. That said, I was looking at other lines before this announcement because honestly Caranival is just as expensive or more expensive than RCCL when they run the 60%off the second person sail and their boats have more restaraunts and things to do on board. They have a 30 point tier that offs almost the same perks that Carnival offers for Platinum cruisers, but at the end of the day I've only sailed carnival and remain loyal to them. That will change if I have to get Gold status for a 3rd time after these announcements. I barely get anything with it but atleast I can mentally justify it to myself by saying I'm only one tier away from getting alittle something for only cruising Carnival.

I started cruising in 2005. I had 10 cruises with Carnival by 2011, the change came in 2013, with a total of 75 days, several were 8 day. My 75 days, under todays rules, made me Platinum in 2011. The 10 cruises would also grandfather me in under the old rules. I just reached my 25 milestone on the Magic this month. I now have a total of 183 days sailed with 2 more 7 days cruises booked between now and April of 2017. Those will put me at 197 days cruised. After reading some of the replies, I'm hoping I'll be able to reach my Diamond status by June of next year. Tree.critter your post/ reply also peaked my curiosity as to were my days cruised and actual cruises had me in levels of the VIFP chart with today's standards. I'm hoping by falling in Platinum in both categories, days cruised and cruises, I'll be able to stay were I am with any changes that come about. The only perks I would really miss is embarkation, debarkation, room ready and the dedicated line at Guest Services. Carnival please let me keep my 4 perks, take the others. Time will tell. TOTALLY ADDICTED TO CRUISING AND LOVING IT!!

Edited by volmoma

I agree with you. You can spend $62.50 or less (double star days) at Starbucks and get a free drink at any time without any expiration (let's say ~$5 worth because people opt for the specialty drinks with that reward perk). Or you can spend thousands of dollars, let's say three 7 day cruises and be a Red VIFP and yet get only a bottle of water retailing for less than $5. Go on ten 7 day cruises, spend several more thousands, be Gold VIFP and get a bottle of water plus a drink coupon that can only be used after 5PM on the last cruise night (oh, and a pin that cost a few cents to make). It's a bit comical, really. Those thousands of dollars paid should earn a little respect, it's silly to say perks are for people who earned them, as if that money wasn't worthy of earning anything yet. Not to mention that the more cruises you take, the more your friends and family become interested and the more people you recruit to Carnival cruising.

They don't have to give people the world for loyalty but when they cut things that save them $1 per person wholesale (e.g. brunch drink coupon to water bottle) but upset a lot of people, it doesn't seem like the loyalty program even means anything to them beyond PR.

I agree. Not to mention I didn't even get my free drink last week because it was only a four day cruise! Really, Carnival can't give me the one perk I'm entitled to just because I didn't book a longer one?

I don't even care about the levels, there aren't really any perks I consider worth the hassle. I will cruise with them as long as I like what they offer, if I find something I like better I will cruise with someone else. So far Carnival has been the best offer out there from the ports we can drive to in a day, although RC has come close a couple of times. If Carnival keeps inching up prices and leveling the playing field I'm sure a cruise on RC will be in my future soon. Carnival seems to have bigger rooms on it's side though and that is definitely a point in it's favor unless something has changed on the RC ships since I last checked.

I don't even care about the levels, there aren't really any perks I consider worth the hassle. I will cruise with them as long as I like what they offer, if I find something I like better I will cruise with someone else. So far Carnival has been the best offer out there from the ports we can drive to in a day, although RC has come close a couple of times. If Carnival keeps inching up prices and leveling the playing field I'm sure a cruise on RC will be in my future soon. Carnival seems to have bigger rooms on it's side though and that is definitely a point in it's favor unless something has changed on the RC ships since I last checked.

I agree. As long as they provide a good service I'll keep with them. Perks don't mean a whole lot.

I agree. As long as they provide a good service I'll keep with them. Perks don't mean a whole lot.

I agree if you're Red or Gold the perks are negligible and I would feel the same way (although I was quite miffed when they took the PG party away from Golds). But if you're Platinum or on the cusp of Platinum, or Diamond, then there's a lot more at stake.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Yeah like I said, I don't know what they will take away, but I'm sure they will find something.

With the prices on the rise and the steady decline in value, I'm seriously thinking about going back to Celebrity. I've been saying it for awhile, but I think if things change for the worse with this latest restructuring, it might just give me the nudge I need. I'm Select over there. Can't remember what that gets me exactly, but oh well. I have an Open Passages Certificate I still need to use anyway.

I don't blame you for the way you feel, but why not wait until you see what the actual "gift" Carnival plans to give or take away. We got grandfathered in on the last switcheroo - but we were forced to take the B2B in order to reach platinum. Then we reached platinum and the smoking on balconies turned us off from Carnival so we cruised Princess after that. The perks are so much better on Princess - like 250 free internet minutes for platinum and elite, laundry for elite, embarkation and debarkation, Captains party, better soap (same package as a suite), minibar, and a few others. One can stay loyal to a certain brand but the brand will not always be loyal to you in return. So, you hold the wallet not them. I've never been on Celebrity but I'm tempted to try them, why not? We just like to be on the ocean more than on a highway.

I hope I am getting all worked up over nothing. I wish they would just come out with it already so I can tell my family members to stick with the Vista or try RC. They haven't been on either so it won't make a difference to them. Thankfully I didn't book them Early Saver and it's too early to get airfare yet.

Just relax and wait and see. 99% of the stuff we worry and fret over never happens.

Edited by elliair

I don't blame you for the way you feel, but why not wait until you see what the actual "gift" Carnival plans to give or take away. We got grandfathered in on the last switcheroo - but we were forced to take the B2B in order to reach platinum. Then we reached platinum and the smoking on balconies turned us off from Carnival so we cruised Princess after that. The perks are so much better on Princess - like 250 free internet minutes for platinum and elite, laundry for elite, embarkation and debarkation, Captains party, better soap (same package as a suite), minibar, and a few others. One can stay loyal to a certain brand but the brand will not always be loyal to you in return. So, you hold the wallet not them. I've never been on Celebrity but I'm tempted to try them, why not? We just like to be on the ocean more than on a highway.

I will wait to see what happens before I make a final decision. Maybe it will be better than it is now. Probably not, but one can hope.

Celebrity is great. I think you would really like it. I will be going back for sure, it's just a matter of when.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Well perks do mean something, especially when you've been enjoying them cruise after cruise. You expect them because it's the cruise line that is rewarding you for being a repeat customer. I recall when they took the internet minutes on Princess away from passengers booked in suites. There was hell to pay on that one and what Princess did was back peddle, grandfather those suite passengers in and then after a certain date no more internet perks for suites. So, howling does get you something IF there's enough people howling.

Wow lot of experts here.....

I earned my perks the old fashion way

Lets raise platinum to 200 days and make Diamond 400 it will give me a new goal to reach...

Did you know some carnival cruisers have over 1000 days at sea they should also have their own class..

I agree if you're Red or Gold the perks are negligible and I would feel the same way (although I was quite miffed when they took the PG party away from Golds). But if you're Platinum or on the cusp of Platinum, or Diamond, then there's a lot more at stake.

No there's just nothing in Platinum or Diamond perks that Carnival offers that would keep me loyal to them. So to me they are not something I would consider when booking. Now if they offered better perks that could change but with current offerings they would have no bearing on my booking. I sure wouldn't turn down sailing another line just to earn another day towards diamond or platinum no matter how close I was.

To others they hold more value, just my opinion on their current "perks".

Edited by poobears

No there's just nothing in Platinum or Diamond perks that Carnival offers that would keep me loyal to them. So to me they are not something I would consider when booking. Now if they offered better perks that could change but with current offerings they would have no bearing on my booking. I sure wouldn't turn down sailing another line just to earn another day towards diamond or platinum no matter how close I was.

To others they hold more value, just my opinion on their current "perks".

I'm not saying the perks themselves would cause me to book with them. It's the fact that when you have been sailing with them for a decent amount of time and you are a certain status, then you don't want those perks taken away. Especially when they have decent value to them (and they do IMHO).

I wouldn't book any Cruiseline specifically for perks. But if all things were equal and the only difference were benefits, then I could be steered one way. I could however be inclined to go away from a particular company if/when I feel I'm either not getting a good quality product for the price and/or I feel the company no longer values my business.

We will just have to wait and see how his all shakes out.

Just heard the announcement on live FB from John. Said the beards are working on changing the program somewhat. We're either going to happy (doubtful) or we'll all need to bend over and grab our ankles. I've only cruised Carnival, 25 in all. I did cruise on the Regal Princess in December of last year. (Carnival owned) I have 2 cruises booked and only 10 sea days from Diamond, truly hoping a level between platinum and diamond isn't on the table for discussion. Just my thoughts.

I am already holding my ankles.:p

Would also like to see double points for solo cruisers that pay 200%.

Agree. Royal and Celebrity do this. Even not paying double solos get double points.

Also free drinks every evening would be nice.:cool:

Turning platinum in 21 days. It has taken 20 years and 13 cruises to get there. I really hope this is not a down grade. We have an NYE cruise scheduled for this year and a back to back next summer. Hoping we will enjoy laundry and early embarkation from here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 169 days with Carnival. Just finished cruise #25. b2b booked Aug 7th and 14th. I will then be 17 days from diamond. Hope the changes don't affect the diamond status. I've worked really hard to get it. so near .......but still a few cruises away..

Whatever it is it will be brilliant and everyone will love it. :rolleyes: I think I'm done cruising for awhile, except for Alaska. Going to Hawaii next year and then I need (yes need) to finally get to bora bora. Owb is my ultimate bucket list trip.

Whatever it is it will be brilliant and everyone will love it. :rolleyes: I think I'm done cruising for awhile, except for Alaska. Going to Hawaii next year and then I need (yes need) to finally get to bora bora. Owb is my ultimate bucket list trip.

It will be brilliant unless it is not:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No matter what the announcement is, someone will complain.

Carnival could say that they're going to give everyone a bag of gold bars as they board the ship and someone would complain that there's no one there to carry it to their cabin for them.

Absolutely!! Nothing announced and everyone is already taking them to task over changes that haven't been announced!! :rolleyes:

Absolutely!! Nothing announced and everyone is already taking them to task over changes that haven't been announced!! :rolleyes:

Kind of based on previous experience. They promise us a new and improved Brilliant loyalty program and all they did was take stuff away.