Santa barbara-solvang

We took the trolley tour last visit to Santa Barbara. Will be in port again. Thinking of going to Solvang. Any input?

Thanks

Laura

Very easy if you rent a car. Pretty drive. I would do one direction via San marcos pass and the other on 101 the coastal route so you make a circle. Having been there dozens of times, DW went to HS and lived in SB when we met, I have kind of tired of all the kitsch but if you have never been it would be an enjoyable day. If you are at all interested in wines then I would add a winery or two to your visit as there are many in the area open to touring and tasting.

I'll agree with the previous poster. Kitch and "cheese factor" is pretty heavy in Solvang.

If wine is an interest, I'd forget Solvang and drive to Santa Ynez and visit some of the surrounding wineries. Santa Ynez itself is only about 3 blocks of interest, but gets lots of tourist traffic. If you do Solvang, like the PP said, take the San Marcos Pass back - you'll go through Santa Ynez.

I'd take the Pass going to Solvang, never know what delays you can encounter on that road. Always seems to be some sort of construction going on.

Mission La Purisima is in Lompoc, just west of Solvang. It's been restored to the original, complete with mission-era animals. http://www.lapurisimamission.org

Edited by SadieN

I'd take the Pass going to Solvang, never know what delays you can encounter on that road. Always seems to be some sort of construction going on.

Mission La Purisima is in Lompoc, just west of Solvang. It's been restored to the original, complete with mission-era animals. http://www.lapurisimamission.org

Have to agree I would do the pass outbound and return via 101. Cutting over to Lompoc adds a little driving but the redo of La Puriima was well done. I might consider that if wine tasting was not of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Solvang is cute and worth the trip.

Yes, take the 154 going (even though the view is better coming down) because the 101 is more reliable for the return trip. An accident can shut down the 154 for an hour or two.

I really like the old mission in Solvang. It's kind of at the end of the main street, and just like that you are back in a different world. It's very evocative of old Spanish California and the mission times (whatever you think of that - I know it is controversial). It's very historical and peaceful.