NCL Breakaway.... 7yr kid what to do what to do for him and us lol

CleoSushi

LOL this is our 2nd NCL cruise but our first with the Breakaway.. looks incredible and HUGE!

Any tips/advice/must do's for us and our 7yr son?

Was wondering if anyone had their kid in the kids program/used to kids water park area and what they thought of it.

Also.... How is the gym?? We got two work out loving parents and were wondering how the gym is/what time it opens and if there is a running track?

THANKS ALL!

Gym is very nice with modern equipment. There is a cardio room and a weights room. No running track. The Fitness Center is open 6am to 11pm most days. There are also fitness classes you can sign up for. Your 7 year old should enjoy the kid's clubs and I'm sure he will enjoy the ropes course, rock climbing wall, mini golf, water slides and more.

As to what not to miss - well, we like the spa thermal suite best of all on these ships and spend a lot of our cruise in there, so that would be the #1 thing I would say not to miss. Since you have a 7 year old with you, then I would suggest scheduling a dinner at Teppanyaki - make a reservation for this ahead of time on the internet. For a romantic dinner for you and your husband, I would recommend Le Bistro or Ocean Blue (if you like seafood). Cagney's is also appropriate for a romantic dinner.

We had our 7 year old granddaughter on the Breakaway last year and they had a blast. Rock climbing wall, ropes course, hidden trampoline at the back of the ship. They enjoyed eating with us in the restaurants. Your son will have a great time.:)

Gym is very nice with modern equipment. There is a cardio room and a weights room. No running track. The Fitness Center is open 6am to 11pm most days. There are also fitness classes you can sign up for. Your 7 year old should enjoy the kid's clubs and I'm sure he will enjoy the ropes course, rock climbing wall, mini golf, water slides and more.

As to what not to miss - well, we like the spa thermal suite best of all on these ships and spend a lot of our cruise in there, so that would be the #1 thing I would say not to miss. Since you have a 7 year old with you, then I would suggest scheduling a dinner at Teppanyaki - make a reservation for this ahead of time on the internet. For a romantic dinner for you and your husband, I would recommend Le Bistro or Ocean Blue (if you like seafood). Cagney's is also appropriate for a romantic dinner.

Thank you so so much, these are incredible tips... you make me wish our trip was not 2 months away.:D

We had our 7 year old granddaughter on the Breakaway last year and they had a blast. Rock climbing wall, ropes course, hidden trampoline at the back of the ship. They enjoyed eating with us in the restaurants. Your son will have a great time.:)

AWESOME thanks so much, cant wait.... im already giddy

The important thing is to make reservations for your dinners in specialty restaurants and shows because they get sold out by the time you board.

Oh yes, thank you for that reminder... a must do. thanks.

There is a running/walking track on one of the top decks near the rock climbing wall..

iMHO it is not the best location for such a track as people can exit the restaurant located there,

and unwittingly walk on to the track.

As you are walking/jogging, you pass people on loungers.

Since the track is on a high deck,people taking photos have been known to block a person moving on the track.

You can walk the deck in the Boardwalk area,but again,you will encounter people exiting the bars and restaurants there and a smoking section.

If you are serious about daily workouts, your best choice is the fitness center.

Just off the Breakaway. We saw many families and many kids having lots of fun. We only used the main dining rooms although we did use the Buffet for lunch and the last morning for breakfast. There is also a fresh made burger stand on Deck 16, above the buffet level which also has a salad bar.

Not much of the evening entertainment is great for kids.

The gym is smaller than on other ships. First morning my husband went at 7 AM and every machine was in use, every exercise mat was taken. He found it better to go in the late afternoon. Unfortunately the sauna/steam room are only available if you buy a full 7 day spa pass. Very disappointing.

There is a running/walking track on one of the top decks near the rock climbing wall..

iMHO it is not the best location for such a track as people can exit the restaurant located there,

and unwittingly walk on to the track.

As you are walking/jogging, you pass people on loungers.

Since the track is on a high deck,people taking photos have been known to block a person moving on the track.

You can walk the deck in the Boardwalk area,but again,you will encounter people exiting the bars and restaurants there and a smoking section.

If you are serious about daily workouts, your best choice is the fitness center.

THANKS SO MUCH this is very helpful. Both my hubby and I are runners so this will be an issue for us. Will stick to the gym. THANKS!

Just off the Breakaway. We saw many families and many kids having lots of fun. We only used the main dining rooms although we did use the Buffet for lunch and the last morning for breakfast. There is also a fresh made burger stand on Deck 16, above the buffet level which also has a salad bar.

Not much of the evening entertainment is great for kids.

The gym is smaller than on other ships. First morning my husband went at 7 AM and every machine was in use, every exercise mat was taken. He found it better to go in the late afternoon. Unfortunately the sauna/steam room are only available if you buy a full 7 day spa pass. Very disappointing.

Good to know.... i hope [getting there when the gym opens will be helpful.

HMMMMM BURGERS... must go to gym then lol THANKS<

LOL this is our 2nd NCL cruise but our first with the Breakaway.. looks incredible and HUGE!

Any tips/advice/must do's for us and our 7yr son?

Was wondering if anyone had their kid in the kids program/used to kids water park area and what they thought of it.

Also.... How is the gym?? We got two work out loving parents and were wondering how the gym is/what time it opens and if there is a running track?

THANKS ALL!

Cleo... We were on our first ncl breakaway with our 6 yr old son. It sounds like he may be your only child...and if he has grown up adapting to what mom and dads lifestyle is then he may not gravitate towards the kids club where he is forced to be around other children he dosent know and branch out. That's not a bad thing. Our 6 yr old went in and walked right back out. We did not force the issue. We just did things... All things... Together.. And it was amazing... So be open and don't plan to much .. Let the vacation shape itself and you will be pleased.

Lots of luck and cherish the wow factor that your son shows you as soon as he steps foot on this massive floating vacation

-mark

Was on the getaway with 3 kids, none of whom liked the kids club, and we all had tons to do, ping ping, arcade, shuffle board, ropes course, movies, music shows, etc, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took our 7 year old on the getaway (sister ship to the breakaway) last summer. She loved it and was thrilled to find out we will be doing the Breakaway this summer. Here's her list of favorites from our trip that she hopes to repeat on the Breakaway.

Rope course

Water slides

Splash pad

Kids pool

Mini golf

Rock wall

Spider mountain

Bungee jump

Kids club (she loved it, went for some time every day)

Sea superstar circus show

Ping pong

Arcade

Family pizza making

Family cupcake decorating

Illusionarium on GA and plan to do Cirque Jungle Dreams on BA

Deal or No Deal

Teppanyaki

Broadway show - She loved the music in Legally Blonde on the GA, but I hear Rock of Ages is not appropriate for child on BA, so she won't be joining us for that.

And these were just the activities on the ship. She had just as much enjoyment from our excursions in port. You'll have a great time as a family. Enjoy!

Cleo... We were on our first ncl breakaway with our 6 yr old son. It sounds like he may be your only child...and if he has grown up adapting to what mom and dads lifestyle is then he may not gravitate towards the kids club where he is forced to be around other children he dosent know and branch out. That's not a bad thing. Our 6 yr old went in and walked right back out. We did not force the issue. We just did things... All things... Together.. And it was amazing... So be open and don't plan to much .. Let the vacation shape itself and you will be pleased.

Lots of luck and cherish the wow factor that your son shows you as soon as he steps foot on this massive floating vacation

-mark

That is such awesome advice, thank you so much. Yes, we wont force it, we want him to enjoy his vacation as much as we do. Thanks so much!!!!!

We took our 7 year old on the getaway (sister ship to the breakaway) last summer. She loved it and was thrilled to find out we will be doing the Breakaway this summer. Here's her list of favorites from our trip that she hopes to repeat on the Breakaway.

Rope course

Water slides

Splash pad

Kids pool

Mini golf

Rock wall

Spider mountain

Bungee jump

Kids club (she loved it, went for some time every day)

Sea superstar circus show

Ping pong

Arcade

Family pizza making

Family cupcake decorating

Illusionarium on GA and plan to do Cirque Jungle Dreams on BA

Deal or No Deal

Teppanyaki

Broadway show - She loved the music in Legally Blonde on the GA, but I hear Rock of Ages is not appropriate for child on BA, so she won't be joining us for that.

And these were just the activities on the ship. She had just as much enjoyment from our excursions in port. You'll have a great time as a family. Enjoy!

What a great, huge list. Thanks... Cant wait... So Giddy!

• 4 months later...

Just browsing tips on travelings with kiddos. This is our 2nd cruise and 1st with our 3 1/2 year old son. Wonderful and logical advice, thank you! I have been so worried about forcing my kiddo into the kids clubs or him being bored with us.