Cruise Critic Community
Lisa1

Zuiderdam: Decks 5, 6 & 7 Forward

On the deck plans for Zuiderdam, there appear to be outdoor areas at the front of decks 5, 6 & 7. Are these areas open to passengers?

Generally only when doing slow "scenic cruising" such as Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, etc.

The Lido deck, in front of the gym, I believe is always open. The door is on the port side.

Edited by jtl513

Generally only when doing slow "scenic cruising" such as Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, etc.

The Lido deck, in front of the gym, I believe is always open. The door is on the port side.

Thank for the good info - we sail her this winter to Panama Canal :)

When I did the partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam, those decks were not open when we went through the Canal. We were very surprised, but apparently it was something that captain did not want.

This made for extreme crowding on the bow, which was open, and that crowding resulted in some fisticuffs.

Just be aware that although those forward decks usually are open for scenic cruising, they aren't always.

When I did the partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam, those decks were not open when we went through the Canal. We were very surprised, but apparently it was something that captain did not want.

This made for extreme crowding on the bow, which was open, and that crowding resulted in some fisticuffs.

Just be aware that although those forward decks usually are open for scenic cruising, they aren't always.

DH says "thank you" ... he's a bit beyond the fisticuff stage !!

All forward decks were open on the Zuiderdam Partial Canal cruise this past January... Guess you can check with crew ahead of time?

All forward decks were open on the Zuiderdam Partial Canal cruise this past January... Guess you can check with crew ahead of time?

We hope our Captain will open those decks for us.. :D DH & I have been through the canal several times, but are travelling with good Friends who have never been through the canal.. They are very excited about this cruise & we want it to be memorable for them..:D

We hope our Captain will open those decks for us.. :D

Betty, my memory is that it was a lot (a LOT!) less crowded on the bow on the sail back out to the Atlantic. If there are too many people on the way in, then just wait.

Of course, that won't work if you have an excursion planned, but it will work for many passengers. Don't have to get up before the roosters, either. ;)

So, possibly open for the Panama Canal transit, but never open at other times? I thought that might be a good location for an inside cabin, but I think I'll stick with the aft where I can easily get up to the Sea View Pool deck when I want to be outside. Thanks for the answers! :-)

Edited by Lisa1

Betty, my memory is that it was a lot (a LOT!) less crowded on the bow on the sail back out to the Atlantic. If there are too many people on the way in, then just wait.

Of course, that won't work if you have an excursion planned, but it will work for many passengers. Don't have to get up before the roosters, either. ;)

Thanks Ruth..First time we went through the canal, we were so excited! My Friend & I were at the rail at 5:A.M. ...Like it usually is, it began to rain..However, we would not give up our positions.. By the time both our DH's made it outside it was pouring, & we had a crowd behind us.. Our DH's were thoughtful & brought out our rain jackets & handed them to us through the crowd, but we stayed there to the bitter end..This time both couples have a balcony, so I plan to sleep a little later..:D

For some reason they don't want these areas used. I understand on deck 7 as there are officers' cabins up there and they use it. Decks 5 and 6 are passenger cabins right up to the front. Perhaps because of wind? Not windy when arriving, in port, and departing...

Really don't understad why they spent money on these areas only to keep them closed. Wondering if similar areas are open on other lines. I believe Cunard has similar.

Perhaps someone "in the know" could inform us.

I have been in cabin 6002 (front facing ocean view) twice on Westerdam for a total of 54 days. The only time the deck in front of my cabin was open was the day we did the Panama Canal transit. It was not open at all on the South Pacific cruise.

As frankc mentioned, Cunard's QE and QV have the same area on deck 6. On the 2014 World Voyage the only time it was open was transiting the Panama Canal.

Strangely enough, that area seems to be routinely open on the S and R class ships in Alaska. Watching the PTZtv Juneau webcam, there are almost always people walking around. They also have that area open on Amsterdam's world cruise.

I have been in cabin 6002 (front facing ocean view) twice on Westerdam for a total of 54 days. The only time the deck in front of my cabin was open was the day we did the Panama Canal transit. It was not open at all on the South Pacific cruise.

As frankc mentioned, Cunard's QE and QV have the same area on deck 6. On the 2014 World Voyage the only time it was open was transiting the Panama Canal.

Strangely enough, that area seems to be routinely open on the S and R class ships in Alaska. Watching the PTZtv Juneau webcam, there are almost always people walking around. They also have that area open on Amsterdam's world cruise.

3ae5160636ecf89f3573985453bb009c.jpg

View from the bow

de6fc2533233181c1755cd65101d2c4a.jpg

The view looking out of the window of cabin 6002 transiting the Panama Canal