Alaska Cruise Tour Carry On

Whimsy

According to what I am reading about the land portion of our cruise tour we are limited to a bag with dimensions of 17 x 14 x 4. Can you share what type of bag you used for a carry on? Photos would perhaps be helpful. I'm having a lot of problems trying to figure out what to take.

Edited by Whimsy

I did that tour/cruise last year. I took what is considered a carry on suitcase (rolling kind) for the land portion. If you pack right you can get it all in there! Enjoy your tour/cruise. I loved it! Alaska is great! And so beautiful!:)

I'm sorry, I don't mean the piece to go from hotel to hotel. I mean the carry on for the train to take medicine, valuables, etc.

We used Samsonite Firelite carry-ons, and a backpack. The carry-ons fit under the train seat just fine with backpack on top. They would have fit the overhead bins on the buses also, but we stored then underneath and used the backpack for onboard needs. Worked great.

We used Samsonite Firelite carry-ons, and a backpack. The carry-ons fit under the train seat just fine with backpack on top. They would have fit the overhead bins on the buses also, but we stored then underneath and used the backpack for onboard needs. Worked great.

From everything I read they tell me the regular carry on luggage like you take on an airplane will not fit. I am trying to get clarification, sounds like you did take a regular carry on?

From everything I read they tell me the regular carry on luggage like you take on an airplane will not fit. I am trying to get clarification, sounds like you did take a regular carry on?

You can see the dimensions of the Firelite at Samsonite's website. Fit just fine under the train seat, under the catamaran seat, and would have fit the bus overhead's if we had wanted them. No problems. They are not the ginormous"I'm packing for a week in my carry-on because I won't pay luggage fees, even though I'm carrying everything but the kitchen sink " size, but perfectly fine for a carry-on for most any airline. They are not expandable, hard-sided, waterproof zippers, 4-wheeled carry-on. Worked perfect. Note, while we could have fit them onboard the bus overhead's, we didn't - we had a small backpack woth essentials for onboard the bus, and the carry-ons went underneath the bus, along with orher people's carry-ons.

Edited by reedprincess

According to what I am reading about the land portion of our cruise tour we are limited to a bag with dimensions of 17 x 14 x 4. Can you share what type of bag you used for a carry on? Photos would perhaps be helpful. I'm having a lot of problems trying to figure out what to take.

We are doing the cruise and then the land tour. I don't remember seeing any restrictions on luggage. What do you do with the larger suitcases that you take on the ship? Can you only take a small suitcase for the entire portion of the land tour?

We are doing the cruise and then the land tour. I don't remember seeing any restrictions on luggage. What do you do with the larger suitcases that you take on the ship? Can you only take a small suitcase for the entire portion of the land tour?

You definitely need to do some reading of the info provided to you from Princess! There's carry-on kuggage size restrictions for the train, boat or buses, luggage tag differences for different luggage needs, etc. You can have a lage suitcase or two, or three if you want, but they don't travel with you, they go via truck or whatnot to destination and are delivered to you room. Their picked up each morning or night at specified times and you don't see them again till next Lodge.

Here's the info you should be reading, along with any documentation or links) provided by Princess already:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/cruisetours/cruisetours_alaska.jsp

You are correct in the required/recommended size of carry-on in all of the information from Princess. We just returned from a land/sea tour and we have smaller carry-ons from Travelsmith. The are sized just a small bit larger than recommended, but worked perfectly. However I will say that we saw everything from large backpacks to 22" roll-aways. Some people managed to get them under their seats and others sat very uncomfortably with them in their laps. We loved the ones we carried and had plenty of room for everything we needed.

I'm sorry for the confusion. The bag I am questioning is the CARRY ON bag for train and bus, not the suitcase that will travel from hotel to hotel or for the ship. I am just a bit perplexed as to what I can take on the train or bus to transport my things. Also, it sounds like a camera case as well as that carry on will not be permitted? I am only allowed one carry on bag. I'm not trying to bend the rules, just trying to figure out how best to comply.

You are correct in the required/recommended size of carry-on in all of the information from Princess. We just returned from a land/sea tour and we have smaller carry-ons from Travelsmith. The are sized just a small bit larger than recommended, but worked perfectly. However I will say that we saw everything from large backpacks to 22" roll-aways. Some people managed to get them under their seats and others sat very uncomfortably with them in their laps. We loved the ones we carried and had plenty of room for everything we needed.

Do you have a photo of what you took? Would it be possible to have a back pack for DH, the carry on bag, a camera bag and a purse? Is that too much?

I'm sorry for the confusion. The bag I am questioning is the CARRY ON bag for train and bus, not the suitcase that will travel from hotel to hotel or for the ship. I am just a bit perplexed as to what I can take on the train or bus to transport my things. Also, it sounds like a camera case as well as that carry on will not be permitted? I am only allowed one carry on bag. I'm not trying to bend the rules, just trying to figure out how best to comply.

As I understand, on the train and buses, each passenger is allowed one bag. It should be 17x14x4. there is not a lot of space. A post above mentioned people being uncomfortable with oversized baggage on their laps for the day.

I am assuming you mean the 20" piece? Then it was over the guidelines Princess gives but it still fit?

I just looked it up and they are the Pacsafe Citysafe LS400 RFID Travel Tote.

Thanks! I have tote bag I sometimes use on planes. Fits well under the seat but it doesn't offer the protection I am looking for on my laptop. Sadly I have to stay connected to work. It is what it is.

I was also thinking about an Alaska Cruise Tour so far I have read most of the reviews on this board and I have read Princess luggage information. I like Whimsy would still like more information on how you did it. I was all set to take a cruise next year, even down to what cruise and cruise tour to take but was stalled with how to take all my 'junk' as my DW calls it. I know there are a lot of photographers out there who like me take a lot of equipment 2 DSLRs, 4 lens (not small ones), GoPro, Pocket camera, plus laptop, chargers, iPAd, 2 portable hard drives, pills, 2 pairs of Binoculars. Then my wife has her stuff she will not let out of her sight which just about fills a small roll on bag (ie. make up, pills, bug spray, etc. jackets and now the kicker CPAP machine.

I have some tell me to pack the CPAP machine in the suite case that goes under the bus / truck but kind of iffy about that.

So what I was able to get it down to was 1 camera bag w/ iPad (ThinkTank Retrospective 7 with two attached lens changer bags), 1 small duffel bag w/ laptop (Travel Pro Maxlite 2 duffel but it is 18x11x11 is soft sided) then CPAP machine bag. And we would carry wear the jackets.

I am over thinking this??

DH used this for his cpap, camera, and other personal items. We sent our 21" rolling bags on to the ship. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D97M0YU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a daypack. https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Daylite-Backpack-Pomegranate-Purple/dp/B00MN4R2G6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467578221&sr=8-5&keywords=day+pack

Edited by Alaskanb

You will find yourself packing your carry-on every morning for the excursions you have planned. Pills, cameras, rain gear, binoculars, hats, jackets, etc. There's no need to carry toiletries, make-up, or excess electronic devices with you because you'll almost always be back to the hotel for the evening. If you are going on an excursion and then heading to a different hotel, there will be provisions to carry the CPAP machine on the bus or train under your seat or in the bottom. The next morning you will want to repack your carry-on for that day's activities. Remember, your " Join Me Tonight" bag will be in your room for the evening and next morning. Pack your carry-on for your excursion and weather needs. Nothing else.

Yes, you've clarified you're asking about the carry-on portion of the baggage requirements, and that's what I addressed. Our Samsonite Firelite's are carry-ons, actual dimension at Samsonite's website and smaller than recommended by Princess... They fit perfectly under the train seat, under the catamaran seat for that portion and would have fit comfortably in the bus overhead bins, or even under the bus seat, but we opted to have them stowed in the under the bus luggage portion, along with many others on our bud - and used a backpack for onboard bus items such as book, headphones, snack, water bottle, travel pillow...

You're overthinking this really. A smallish normal carry-on works fine, or a reasonable sized backpack or carry-all, etc.. The space under the train seat is similar to the space under an airplane seat. If your bag will fit there comfortably, it will fit under the train seat. If it doesn't - you can hold it on your lap (uncomfortable and cramped) or there is limited small bag storage offered also. Our friend traveled with his C-pap device, camera bag and small carry-on - his C-pap and carry-on went under the bus or on the train went into the small storage area while his camera bag stayed wirh him...

They just don't want you bringing a massive sized carry-on and expect it to fit, or have multiple large bags to travel direct with you.

Traveling G with you on bus, train, etc should be medications, valuables, immediate needs (book, music, camera), and perhaps a change of clothes, maybe a snack. - This does not take up much room! .Otherwise. You'll have access to all your luggage each night at each Lodge.(all the luggage that wasn't sent to ship, for those doing land tour first.).

Hope that helps clarify things...

For the photographers out there small roller or international size roller/backpack works fine and fit both on the bus and train. Princess size was ridiculous and they should recheck what really works.

I used a thinktank glass limo 9x9x21 IMHO a 14x22x9 roller should be fine.

framer

Thanks Farmer! You speak my language. My 'normal' traveling case is the international roller by thinktank 14x21x9 and all my 'junk' as DW calls it fits, plus she is happy that I do not have to get another camera bag to add to my collection, she says I have as many camera bags as she has purses. I think not, but...

Thanks Farmer! You speak my language. My 'normal' traveling case is the international roller by thinktank 14x21x9 and all my 'junk' as DW calls it fits, plus she is happy that I do not have to get another camera bag to add to my collection, she says I have as many camera bags as she has purses. I think not, but...

Please have a good look at Caribill's photo of the train seat space. Also getting to the seating area on the train requires climbing a curved stair that is not very wide. The buses will not be a problem but the train might be.