Went to Belk today

MrsPete

SO MANY nice cruise clothes! Tons of summery-colored casual dresses, lots of nice tops. If I had nothing at all, I could've found enough to create a whole cruise wardrobe of things I really liked. Prices were fairly high.

Thanks for the tip. I'm redoing my warm weather cruise wardrobe but thankfully have done a good bit on sales. Now I'm waiting for July 22nd when Nordstroms has their Anniversary Sale to see if I forgot anything I'll need for our upcoming Arctic cruise...or to just add to my cashmere sweater collection.

Wow! Lucky you going on an Arctic cruise. That's on my bucket list for sure! Do let us know how it goes!

I too find Belk's to be on the high side as prices go but they do have some great sales at the end of the season. I shop the sales with my SIL when I visit my family in FL.

Edited by mousey

The Belk stores near me seem to be in decline. The one in the mall across from where I work closed a few years ago. The one in the "nicer" mall that I visit occasionally also seems to offer fewer brand names of good quality, instead they have a lot of less expensive lines. :cool:

Can't say that I've seen much that I liked on my last 2-3 visits.

The Belk stores near me seem to be in decline. The one in the mall across from where I work closed a few years ago. The one in the "nicer" mall that I visit occasionally also seems to offer fewer brand names of good quality, instead they have a lot of less expensive lines. :cool:

Can't say that I've seen much that I liked on my last 2-3 visits.

You know, that was true of Belks in my area for quite some time; I'd quit going altogether. But in the last year or two they've improved. I can't say why.

Agree with the descriptions of the Belks. We use to live in Charlotte and the main Belk in the nicest mall had some nice things, but the Belks nearer our house didn't carry the same brands. Actually the malls nearer our house carried some pretty tacky things. Not a fan of Belks...

Department and even some specialty stores stock brands and price ranges by local demographics. A couple decades ago I worked at a Hechts, part of Federated, and we had quite a few of the better name brands for professional wardrobes. If you went to the Hechts in the next county down in Maryland the department I managed didn't exist because the demographics were more toward blue collar tastes and prices. Another county south on the Washington DC beltway and their dress and women's suits were higher end than where I worked as the overall cost of living went up as well as what professionals wore daily was a slight cut above.

So if you are beginning to see better brands then my guess is your local economy, overall, is improving. If the better brands you normally see are disappearing then spending has gone down or shop lifting, whether by employees or consumers, is going way up. Or a company has found that particular styles just do not sell in your area.

Where we used to live in Maryland Nordstroms did great year over year business but the large LL Bean never made it to 10 years even after some serious pre-positioning decision studies. Now we drive 90 miles to northern Chicago and make a nice 2 night trip of it so we can hit some different restaurants, Nordstroms and stop at the nearest LL Bean on the way home.

Belk stores vary a lot by location and the function and demographics they are intended to serve. I do love Belk's red dot sales. I bought 2 dressy dresses I am taking for elegant nights at a fraction of their original price. Also found some tops and capris. I find the best deals are in their more rural locations.

Belks must be an east coast store. I don't remember it from when we lived in FL (83-86). Sounds like one id enjoy (but the likelihood of it coming to CO is unlikely)

Belks must be an east coast store. I don't remember it from when we lived in FL (83-86). Sounds like one id enjoy (but the likelihood of it coming to CO is unlikely)

Here's a list of all the stores by states. Sort of east coast but mainly southern.

Never heard of Belk before people mentioning it here.;)

Belk is based in Charlotte, NC. It has stores throughout the Carolinas and Georgia. I am not sure what other states they serve.

They have a couple of stores in MD, and several in VA (west and central-none in NOVA). All are at least 35 miles from where I live. My parents live in Fredericksburg and my mom shops there a lot. I love the store, but have no desire to drive that for one place. I have to drive an hour to one which is funny considering the major chain stores we do have (Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc) here.

Edited by BND

• 2 months later...
They have a couple of stores in MD, and several in VA (west and central-none in NOVA). All are at least 35 miles from where I live. My parents live in Fredericksburg and my mom shops there a lot. I love the store, but have no desire to drive that for one place. I have to drive an hour to one which is funny considering the major chain stores we do have (Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc) here.

We have belks here in Florida too and my sister in Colorado has them. We lived in Fredericksburg before we moved here to Florida, still have friends there.

We have belks here in Florida too and my sister in Colorado has them. We lived in Fredericksburg before we moved here to Florida, still have friends there.

Do you know where in CO? Lived here 30 years & never saw one out here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...