To go or not to go

Afloat

Next week I have to overnight in Dallas Tx. In September I am on an Eastern Med cruise. Guess which is giving me more concern! (In case of any doubt its the area that has the second amendment to its constitution) :eek:

You don't need to worry about our second amendment.

OP, I, too, have a western Med/trans-At cruise planned for this fall, and here's the way I see it:

When deciding whether or not to take the cruise I know where there have been attacks in the past, including the recent past. But what I can't possibly know is where the attacks will be in the future, including the time I will be in Europe.

Terrorists simply don't announce these things in advance. (darned inconsiderate of them, but that's the way it is)

There have been attacks pretty much everywhere in the world, so that's not much to go on in figuring the odds.

So, then I have to ask myself if there is any reason to believe that where I am going should be a matter of concern any more than any other place. If not, and knowing that HAL will err on the side of safety if they have any cause for alarm, then I make my decision to go.

After all, I can be injured at home if a plane crashes on take-off.

Ruth, your post was filled with wisdom, very well phrased. It's easy to forget the obvious.

Terrorists hijacked a ship and threw a passenger overboard back in the 1980s. And too many airplanes to remember. Yet people continue to travel safely all over the world.

OP, I, too, have a western Med/trans-At cruise planned for this fall, and here's the way I see it:

When deciding whether or not to take the cruise I know where there have been attacks in the past, including the recent past. But what I can't possibly know is where the attacks will be in the future, including the time I will be in Europe.

Terrorists simply don't announce these things in advance. (darned inconsiderate of them, but that's the way it is)

There have been attacks pretty much everywhere in the world, so that's not much to go on in figuring the odds.

So, then I have to ask myself if there is any reason to believe that where I am going should be a matter of concern any more than any other place. If not, and knowing that HAL will err on the side of safety if they have any cause for alarm, then I make my decision to go.

After all, I can be injured at home if a plane crashes on take-off.

Very well said, thank you.

I don't think going or not going has anything to do with whether or not someone is a coward. To me it seems to a wise move to not travel to any area that at this moment is unsafe to travel in. All you have to do is read and listen to what is happening there at this time for to make a decision whether it is safe or not to travel there right now.

Recently paid in full for a European cruise for September. This is a special trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are nervous with the current state of affairs in Europe. and are conflicted as to whether we should still go. We have trip insurance but does not cover cancel for any reason. If we cancel we will be out $2500.

Would appreciate others thoughts as to still taking our trip.

Being from Holland, with Turkey ports now out of the picture, I would be very careful, stay away from crowds, like around St. Peter etc. the European open door policy has completely failed, so more will happen sooner than later...

Another viewpoint:

We had an almost-3 week European trip planned for this past May (cruise and pre and post cruise land travel). This would have been my 5th European cruise. The cruise was on the Oosterdam that went to several ports in Spain (not so common for Med. cruises) with additional stops in Gibraltar, Marseilles, Monte Carlo and disembark in Civitavecchia.

After the Brussels airport bombings, we cancelled. It wasn't, and still isn't, my own comfort level to be, as the U.S. State department warns, "constantly vigilant" about my surroundings. I was most concerned about France and some of the very southern ports in Spain. Instead, we re-booked on a Canada/New England cruise on the Veendam that started in Montreal and ended in Boston. We disembarked last Saturday. A nice cruise, but not nearly as exciting or memorable as a Med. cruise. But, in light of very recent events in Nice, and now Turkey, NO WAY DO I REGRET MY DECISION TO CANCEL.

We had cancel for any reason insurance so we lost, obviously, the cost for the insurance. And, since we had used United Mileage points, they charged us $200 per person to return our points back into our account (Really? How much does it cost to make a few keystrokes on a keyboard?).

My advice is that its your vacation, no one else's, and you shouldn't be swayed by someone else's rhetoric into making or changing a decision that you're not comfortable with.

Good luck.

Of course the decision is yours ultimately.

But since you asked for our thoughts, I would go. I've been to Europe twice this year so far and will be going on a Mediterranean cruise in October. Cruiselines tend to be risk averse, so it's very likely that any ports with known risks will be avoided.

As to the risks that are not known -- well, they exist everywhere, not just in Mediterranean cruise ports.

Since I do not know any terrorists (as you apparently do), I cannot say with any certainty "what terrorists want". I can, however, draw inferences from what they do, and what I have inferred from their actions is that they want to kill us and not just cause us to alter our travel/vacation plans.

Acts of terrorism are conducted as a means to achieving political, religious or ideological objectives, including the destabilization of those governments that they perceive as enemies.

The total contribution of travel and tourism to European GDP was USD $2,136 Billion (9.2% of GDP) in 2014, while the contribution to employment, including jobs indirectly supported by the travel industry, was 9.0% of total employment (35,214,000 jobs). Given the importance of tourism to Europe, the destabilizing impact on the economy arising from a significant amount of cancelled travel is precisely the type of objective that terrorists would pursue.

To the OP: only you can determine your comfort level. DW and I are travelling alone on our next cruise and I don't think that we would cancel in your situation. Our following cruise is with our children and our grandchildren, and in that case I probably would cancel. At our age, the risk is acceptable, but not for the children and grandchildren IMO.

These horrific attacks in Europe are terrible, but, in my humble opinion, the likelihood of being shot while walking the streets in America or killed a districted driver who is using his cell phone to send a text message is much larger than being injured in a terrorist attack in Europe.

The OP is probably going to be second guessing for awhile, but I think one thing to consider is whether or not worry about possible terrorist attack is going to spoil the enjoyment of the cruise. Some people are very philosophical about possible danger, others are really stressed about the possibility. There is absolutely no use in spending alot of money to travel if you are going to worry continually and it really cuts into your enjoyment.

For myself, I would go unless the attacks are stepped up in frequency. Someone mentioned the airline attacks years ago. I was traveling with students in England and the Air India plane was destroyed the day before we were to return to the states. We had to fly home as scheduled but I had a couple of students who were willing to hire a row boat... they were that frightened. If that incident had happened before we left they probably would not have flown overseas. So... to the OP.... will the worry spoil your cruise. Yes or no and then make a decision but if yes then don't go.

Susan

kYes, weget the philosophy of terrorism. Some here are trying to assess their safetyoirlack thereof in the plac es they planned to visit. The philosophy ofterrorism sill not make us saf er or less. safe

Edited by sail7seas

kYes, weget the philosophy of terrorism. Some here are trying to assess their safetyoirlack thereof in the plac es they planned to visit. The philosophy ofterrorism sill not make us saf er or less. safe

If you are referring to fouremco's post -- apparently not everyone "gets" the philosophy of terrorism. Fouremco's post was providing information in response to another post. Not very far back in this thread. Easy to find.

... Given the importance of tourism to Europe, the destabilizing impact on the economy arising from a significant amount of cancelled travel is precisely the type of objective that terrorists would pursue.

To the OP: only you can determine your comfort level. DW and I are travelling alone on our next cruise and I don't think that we would cancel in your situation. Our following cruise is with our children and our grandchildren, and in that case I probably would cancel. At our age, the risk is acceptable, but not for the children and grandchildren IMO.

Excellent post, especially your opinion (advice?) in the second paragraph. FWIW I did not say that killing us is the ONLY objective of terrorists, nor did I say that disruption of travel to Europe was not also one of their objectives. Thanks for your calm and well-reasoned post.

With all due respect, Betty, I do not think that being overly cautious or feeling uncomfortable traveling in the present environment is being a coward. That is a pretty strong word. We all have our own comfort levels.

Totally agree!!!

Excellent post, especially your opinion (advice?) in the second paragraph. FWIW I did not say that killing us is the ONLY objective of terrorists, nor did I say that disruption of travel to Europe was not also one of their objectives. Thanks for your calm and well-reasoned post.

Likewise. Given the topic, calm and reason seem appropriate whenever we can achieve it.

Everybody has their own comfort level, and a vaction is not the time to be stressed, but to DEstress.

So OP, if you do not feel comfortable, after getting information and advise from both official sources and forums like this, then I can only advise you to reconsider your trip, as much as it pains me to tell this as europe is objectively still very safe for tourists.

...This is really a personal decision. It's well and good to say "don't let them win" but if you're going to be so uncomfortable that you will not enjoy the trip, then maybe you should cancel. The terrorists won't know and won't really care.

I agree completely. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

I am a firm believer in when your time is up your time is up. NO matter where you are or what you are doing. By the same token I don't play in the middle of a highway. If you let fear rule out a possible great trip then the terrorist win. No cruise line will knowingly put you in harms way. That is why many of them have pulled out of Turkey and Egypt. But you have to do your part to be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel right then leave the area. Avoid huge crowds, blend in, listen to the state department warnings, and pay attention.

Well said. I booked a "wow" trip 18 months ago.

3 nights Paris

2 nights London

TA on Azamara........

My head says EXACTLY what you wrote.........

However,

trip is in Sept and I am not comfortable with it anymore.

So far, we are still going, however.

I will not make my decision on $$.

I prefer to lose my vacation money then my life.

I will play it by ear. My #1 priority will be to stay safe.

will see in sept if I go or not.

And I respect people's choices either way.

Let me see if I understand these posts: if we don't want the terrorists to "win", we should travel in areas that have a higher likelihood of being attacked? IMO the terrorists win when they kill people, not when they cause a few people to change their travel/vacation plans.[

Terrorists want to kill people but more than that they want to scare them and make them change the way they live their lives.

I live in New York City, which is probably as big a target as any other place (OK, other than maybe Baghdad, Afghanistan or Syria). We go about our lives as much as we did before 9/11.

My DH works in Times Square; there are times when the thought pops into my head that what if something happened there, would I see him alive again. And then I realize I could also get hit by a bus while crossing the street.

Edited by Boytjie

I recently booked a couple of cruises and did not even think about terrorists. After spending money on education for my children, weddings etc., it is time for me to see the world. Off I go!!

I have always tried to stay out of crowds but I would still return to Barcelona and it's market and Ramblas. Same with Rome. Yep!