55+ Crusing - Hope others are mad at us

dazey

We are in our late 60's and after 55 were finally able to afford to cruise and enjoy ourselves many many times.At times we are seated by accident(I assume) with much younger people and can see how they look at us. Most times the maitre d' suggests a change of table or we just ask to be seated alone. Similar to how young people are polite but don't really want to talk to you "just as a person" at a party.

We have enjoyed many MDR tables with other couples within 20 years of our age and we had a great time - sometimes establishing long relationships.

It just feels badly when I read reviews about Celebrity and it is mentioned again and again that everyone was old. I understand but it is almost like we shouldn't go because we are old. I am still going to cruise and hope others still do.

You never think you are going to be so old that you don't belong! It just happens.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer that you get to the end, the faster it goes. If you like to cruise you should book the ship or itenerary that you want and enjoy. I refuse to have other people dictate what and how I should finish out my last days. If they don't want to be around an older couple it is their lose. .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer that you get to the end, the faster it goes. If you like to cruise you should book the ship or itenerary that you want and enjoy. I refuse to have other people dictate what and how I should finish out my last days. If they don't want to be around an older couple it is their lose. .

I second that CLACKEY

We are in our late 60's and after 55 were finally able to afford to cruise and enjoy ourselves many many times.At times we are seated by accident(I assume) with much younger people and can see how they look at us. Most times the maitre d' suggests a change of table or we just ask to be seated alone. Similar to how young people are polite but don't really want to talk to you "just as a person" at a party.

We have enjoyed many MDR tables with other couples within 20 years of our age and we had a great time - sometimes establishing long relationships.

It just feels badly when I read reviews about Celebrity and it is mentioned again and again that everyone was old. I understand but it is almost like we shouldn't go because we are old. I am still going to cruise and hope others still do.

You never think you are going to be so old that you don't belong! It just happens.

I'm in my early 50's and my DW wife being just a little older. I guess I was just brought up differently - I would NEVER have the cajones to give someone else "the look", especially since we're both on the same cruise. The worse you'd get from me is that I'd probably talk your ear off about being way too excited about my first cruise. I figure if someone won't like my company in the MDR in October, they can move THEIR happy backsides! LOL. Thanks very much for this thread - just enjoy yourselves and keep having fun cruising! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, that is too bad that you were made to feel that way.

There will always be someone older and someone younger than you on a cruise (unless you are over 100yo maybe). :)

I have cruised for over 30 years and found really fun people at any age; IMO that is one of the fun things about cruising!

I can't imagine anyone being rude to you because you are older than they are. As a previous poster indicated, it really is their issue, probably immaturity.

Go, be your wonderful self and enjoy! :D

We are cruising again(in two weeks on Celebrity) and will, I am sure, encounter many many wonderful friendly people. I appreciate everyone's positive responses and will just let negative experience(very few) be just a chuckle between us.

Thank you all.

We are cruising again(in two weeks on Celebrity) and will, I am sure, encounter many many wonderful friendly people. I appreciate everyone's positive responses and will just let negative experience(very few) be just a chuckle between us.

Thank you all.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have taken a lot of Celebrity cruises and they mak an effort to place you with either over 50 or under 50 passengers at dinner if you tell them you'd like to share a table. The only issues we ever find is with passengers who bring up politics and tell us how we should vote.

Never ever run into this ,especially on celebrity.We love sitting with younger people...we are both in the 60s. We find a much older crowd on HAL,( at least 5- 10 yrs older.lol) and integrate and enjoy just as much with them.RCL is much younger as well as Norwegian ,where we have so much fun....

Cruising is what you make of it and what you enjoy and we definitely think cruising is what brings good honest sincere people together,no matter what the age :):)

• 1 month later...

Scarily I now qualify as a 55+ cruiser... That being said I do the same things that I did 30+ years ago, maybe just not as often and perhaps a little bit slower... Still going to gigs (and tbh LA is a great town for live music). And while sometimes I get asked if I'm there with my daughter :( I can say that I got to see all the great bands... and when I see some young hipster wearing a Joy Division T-shirt can turn and say, "Ian Curtis? Now there was stage presence. They were great live..."

Hello all, we are 55 plus cruisers too, we like to mix with all ages and have never received "the look" That must be awful.

We have only felt uncomfortable on 2 occasions both on different ships. One was at an afternoon tea event when a young couple were shown to the table and the guy exclaimed, i'm not sitting with those q----s, and then stormed off.

(i think he just assumed that 2 guys who were together were gay)

The other occasion was at a table for 4 in the mdr and 2 very attractive young ladies were shown to the table. There was a bit of an awkward pause before conversation started and we assured the ladies that if they wanted to request a move,we wouldn't be offended. We were quite surprised the next evening when they showed up, and by the end of the cruise we'd had many laughs together.

So OP, you carry on cruising and enjoy it. happy cruising. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always sit with nice people. However, I usually have a table for 4 so I can just be with the couple we came with. Somehow, we always find older people to talk to if we sit in other places.we do have the right to be with people that we want to be with. We have earned that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If anyone has issues with sitting with certain other people, (age, ethnicity, living situations, etc) they are the ones that should be requesting a private table, or shouldn't be cruising in the first place.

We have recently retired and have started cruising - have about 6 booked. My theory is we will cruise till our savings run out.

Hopefully those types of situations will be few and far between for all of us.

LET'S KEEP ON CRUISING!

Back in the days when they only had fixed dining we were at our table for 8 the first night when one of the other men says please bow your heads for grace! We were moved the next night! As we're two other couples. Unreal.

Edited by goldenrod
  • Like 1

Back in the days when they only had fixed dining we were at our table for 8 the first night when one of the other men says please bow your heads for grace! We were moved the next night! As we're two other couples. Unreal.

I too find it unreal that anyone would ask to move tables just because someone wanted to give thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And, sitting at a table for two is just like eating at home! Not fun on a cruise.

Jim

Actually I prefer it, we get little chance at home to sit and enjoy each other over a liesurly meal, normally there is so much else that requires our attention.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read an old thread the other day with a vent against old people. That is really small minded and bigoted.

When we cruise the ship is a means to an end not the end in itself so I really don't care what fellow passengers are thinking no more than I would when I am on an airplane or at a hotel.

We do get a table for 2 at dinner as that is our catch up time but we usually end up as part of a breakfast club and have a great time meeting people then.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved once from a fixed dining table. It was not just about the 'grace'. They also wanted everyone on the table to join hands (no thanks, we want to do everything possible to avoid noro) at the same time. Then it some other nonsense about quotes from the Bible. All extremely inappropriate.

I did not care for it and it was certainly not a polite thing to do. Who really knows if others at the table shared their faith, or were of a different faith? So we changed tables pronto. BTW, we were of the same general faith but saw absolutely no reason to be as demonstrative in a public setting. And we were embarrassed for them. We feel the same way about politics and children/grandchildren. We really do not want to know, nor do we care a tuppence.

Now we always go with anytime dining. We have met some wonderful people of ages and from all walks of life.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We moved once from a fixed dining table. It was not just about the 'grace'. They also wanted everyone on the table to join hands (no thanks, we want to do everything possible to avoid noro) at the same time. Then it some other nonsense about quotes from the Bible. All extremely inappropriate.

I did not care for it and it was certainly not a polite thing to do. Who really knows if others at the table shared their faith, or were of a different faith? So we changed tables pronto. BTW, we were of the same general faith but saw absolutely no reason to be as demonstrative in a public setting. And we were embarrassed for them. We feel the same way about politics and children/grandchildren. We really do not want to know, nor do we care a tuppence.

Now we always go with anytime dining. We have met some wonderful people of ages and from all walks of life.

I am mortified that anyone would ever have the experience of being somehow ostracized on a cruise because of their age, or appearance. We are older, I suppose, but my reaction to that treatment would probably be much more inappropriate than the treatment itself! Like wise, we have never experienced someone trying to impose their faith practices on us during a cruise. It's just not a thing to do obviously. Where we differ is that we really do like hearing about our table mates' families. We always hear so much interesting stuff, because of the varied backgrounds and geography of the folks at the table, and it is usually all pretty much positive. Of course, politics is never an appropriate discussion, unless they all agree with us! Ha!

I make no suggestions, but I can tell you, the person or persons that would ever try to make us feel uncomfortable because of our age or appearance or some preconceived notion about us. well, they would be requesting a table change before dinner was even over, I suspect. Let's just say that small-minded people have a tendency to be able to give it out, but not take it; and we can leave it at that I guess. No one should have to stand for discriminatory treatment of any kind, on a ship or otherwise, and we certainly will not. Cruise on Bad-&%@ Seniors!