55+ Crusing - Hope others are mad at us

dazey

Boring young people become boring old people. We have sailed with both:). But 90% of the time we have had amazing times with our dining companions. Everyone has a story to tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I too find it unreal that anyone would ask to move tables just because someone wanted to give thanks.

In mixed company, just bow your head and silently give thanks. There is no need to ask others to participate in your religious beliefs or rituals on a cruise. See Matthew 6:6 about praying in public.

As for me, I prefer 1 Timothy 5:23 :)

• Like 1

NEVER book any cabin under public spaces, especially the noisy pool area. Late night and very early morning all the pool furniture will be moved. Mid day the loud music starts. Look up deck plans and change immediately.Just Google deck plans.

• Like 1

I too find it unreal that anyone would ask to move tables just because someone wanted to give thanks.

I would be quite offended if someone expected me to bow my head for prayer. They don't know my religion and making an assumption is ridiculous. If they want to bow their own heads and say a silent prayer, I could care less. (A number of my coworkers do this before they eat, it's discrete and anyone who takes issue with it can go scratch).

But to ASSume or request that everyone at that table should bow is beyond rude. I would tell them they could pray if they wanted, but please pass the butter first. If they didn't agree, they would be free to leave the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I know a number of you probably will hate this. But, there's no need to have others negatively impact your cruise. You choose to be seated with others at dinner. It's a crap shot. Most of the time, it will be good conversation, and learning experience, or just fun. Other times, the horror stories will occur. It's your choice. You can not be seated with others at dinner. Most cruise lines have that option now. It's not like it used to be. So you really can't complain about a selection You made.

I know a number of you probably will hate this. But, there's no need to have others negatively impact your cruise. You choose to be seated with others at dinner. It's a crap shot. Most of the time, it will be good conversation, and learning experience, or just fun. Other times, the horror stories will occur. It's your choice. You can not be seated with others at dinner. Most cruise lines have that option now. It's not like it used to be. So you really can't complain about a selection You made.

One bad experience out of 40: Actually, I dined at a table, that the family was (shall we say horrible/atrocious) that my wait staff kept asking me if I wanted to move to a different table very single night of the cruise.

Regarding getting "the look" or attitude from a younger person (or anyone), I am reminded of a time when I was at my local grocery store. My high school was in another state. It was probably 20 years or so from when I graduated. I noticed a high school jacket a girl was wearing in the store and I commented to her that I had gone to the same high school. She "rolled" her eyes at me. I walked away, saying to my husband "Well, that really impressed her, didn't it?" I was probably only 20 years older than her at the time--not nearly as old as I am currently! Oh well. Some day she'll understand where I was coming from!

Laughing. Well, chuckling. I am fond of saying, when faced with younger employees or cruisers or my son's friends who exhibit that kind of 'tude, "Man, I wish I were young again and knew everything with absolute certainty." With a nostalgic smile on my face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone has issues with sitting with certain other people, (age, ethnicity, living situations, etc) they are the ones that should be requesting a private table, or shouldn't be cruising in the first place.

We have recently retired and have started cruising - have about 6 booked. My theory is we will cruise till our savings run out.

Hopefully those types of situations will be few and far between for all of us.

LET'S KEEP ON CRUISING!

You know the math says it's cheaper to cruise then live in a nursing home right? AND with a much better lifestyle. Cruise till you can't cruise no more!!!

Edited by 2CruzAddicts
Typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
We hung out with the "over 60" crowd on our first cruise and had a blast! We were 40 at the time and loved hearing their stories over drinks. Even convinced some of them to zip line upside down! We were jealous cause they've been able to cruise so much!

Probably they had much more drink than you did!

• 2 weeks later...

Back when my wife and I were in our 20's we discovered that we had more in common with "older folks" than we had with people our own age. Most of our friends were always trying to impress each other, who had the bigger house, car, best kids, etc. It got very boring for us because we have never been like that.

On vacations we always seemed to gravitate to couples older than us, more like our parents' age at the time. We had a lot of fun over the years with older vacationers. We just felt more comfortable around them.

We're in our 60's now and while we've never had any young people outright disrespect us, we have noticed that they tend to have blinders on and can't see anyone over 30. It's like we're invisible. It's sad, really, because we learned so much from older folks in our younger years, and young adults today seem like they just don't want to be bothered.

On many recent cruises we have found that their are many gay couples who are much more friendly than their straight counterparts. We are 71 & 68 and have many interesting conversations with mainly gay couples. I think it's because we are not judgemental and my wife is very outgoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod
  • Like 1

On many recent cruises we have found that their are many gay couples who are much more friendly than their straight counterparts. We are 71 & 68 and have many interesting conversations with mainly gay couples. I think it's because we are not judgemental and my wife is very outgoing.

Absolutely agree!. My wife and I even find them worthy of long conversations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We only have MTD after many cruises with table mates that made us dread dinner. We often strike up conversations with those sitting next to us but not always. As for those who treat "older" adults with disdain, have at it. It's not any different than going to work these days.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We were lucky enough to start cruising in our 30's when we were often the youngest on the ship, especially with Fred Olsen. We have since made great friends of all ages. Now we are retired we recently went on a 35 night cruise from Southampton to the Caribbean and back and found we were again 2 of the youngest people on the cruise. My motto has always to grow old before I grow up, so far so good.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure that it is the age of the person that matters - there are interesting people of all ages.

Like others I don't like discussions of politics or religion - not my thing - and I am looking for stress release not reminders of what was left back home.