Cruise Critic Community
marco

60th Anniversary of the "Andrea Doria' sinking

Today marks the 60th anniversary of that tragic event. It was the first ship I ever sailed on. I was 6. We were on the 2nd to last eastbound (NY to Italy) sailing before it's fatal voyage. We were supposed to come home on it later in August but got transferred to the "Cristoforo Columbo"/

My parents fortunately sailed her in 1955 but my mother had some friends that were on the doomed sailing

She said it took weeks to get all the oil from their hair and skin as they had to shimmy down ropes into the water/boats

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Today marks the 60th anniversary of that tragic event. It was the first ship I ever sailed on. I was 6. We were on the 2nd to last eastbound (NY to Italy) sailing before it's fatal voyage. We were supposed to come home on it later in August but got transferred to the "Cristoforo Columbo"/

Thank you for posting this reminder.

Like the loss of the Empress of Ireland in the St. Lawrence River, I worry that the Andrea Doria will fade from our memory.

I wonder what it might have been like to have sailed on Cristoforo Columbo so soon after the loss of Andrea Doria. They were so much alike that the Italian Line issued brochures for the Columbo that had incomplete silvered out captions of photos in the brochures that were photos of the interiors of the Andrea Doria.

I have some nice items in my personal collection, I have a 1953 Brochure, 2 - Cabin Class Menus from 1953 and 1955, a 1953 daily program, a maiden voyage first class passenger used postcard. I also have a postcard for the ship that sank her, the Stockholm and a postcard and felt pennant for the Ile De France that came to the rescue. If like to see photos of the items, you can message me and i'll be happy to post the photos in here for you to enjoy.

i'd be happy too, some of the item's I got from a friend that was a travel agent in the 50's and 60's, so none of the items are for sale. but here are my Andrea Doria and other ships involved items. the top items are the andrea doria, the postcard is the ship that sank her, the Stockholm and the pennant is the Ile De France that came to the rescue. I hope enjoy the photos

1953 Brochure

Daily Program

1953_cabin_class_andrea_doria_menu_by_wildelf34_ddaw75a-pre.thumb.jpg.8c912262a595e4df01f549dfe764b627.jpg

the ship that sank her

one of the rescue ships

7 hours ago, norboy76 said:

hope enjoy the photos 

Thank you for posting these.