No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

Trying to think of a way to ask them politely if they are pulling the answer out of their a$$, or is there some written corporate policy that covers the price drop within 6 months scenario.

I was told yesterday that it was in the updated FAQ which it is not- Today I was told that the policy was sent out in an email to everyone

I was told yesterday that it was in the updated FAQ which it is not- Today I was told that the policy was sent out in an email to everyone

Who is "everyone"????? I know the flyer we first saw it on was directed at TAs but I dont think my TA had received it yet when I sent it to her. Is everyone all TA or all C&A or all "who"????

Who is "everyone"????? I know the flyer we first saw it on was directed at TAs but I dont think my TA had received it yet when I sent it to her. Is everyone all TA or all C&A or all "who"????

All the people who are not *you* and not *me*. :rolleyes:

All the people who are not *you* and not *me*. :rolleyes:

Sorry everyone at Royal Caribbean, not everyone like us;)

The logical answer is they want people to book early. The secondary one is, most of their new ships are almost ALL balconies. The balcony discount made sense to them when they had many inside, OV cabins on ships. In those times a balcony was a serious upgrade (in experience, but also in cost).

Now everyone gets a balcony, it's about all there is. They're effectively giving a discount to every C&A cruiser, rather then using it to promote people to spend extra for a balcony.

So now it's turning into a tool to promote people to book earlier. Other cruise lines may have their own methods (NCL, for example, gives a bonus loyalty point for cruises booked >9 months in advance).

For the most part, from a business perspective, I would agree with you. As a business, they will always nod to the bottom line because without that, they will not meet the obligations to the stockholders which is what public company needs to do.

What I feel is needed though, and I discussed this with them, is that they cannot toss aside those who have made their company what it is. Granted they created the C&A program with maybe loose requirements in the past and as such created the situation they have today with high numbers of repeat cruisers on each cruise, but just as they need to expand their new cruiser base to keep them going in future years, they cannot forget those that keep coming back. If they do, then at some point the repeaters will stop and then the question is if the new cruisers are enough to fill the ships. Most likely not.

They still need to let the C & A members know that RCCL appreciates their loyalty. Constantly removing benefits that were promised to them to get them back is not the way to go unless you find another way to compensate.

Not really. I suppose it could potentially affect anyone with a balcony discount, even if they booked more than 6 months out, but I've only ever had one price drop, and it was well before six months until cruise time.

Not sure what you are trying to say?

Edited by marci22

For the most part, from a business perspective, I would agree with you. As a business, they will always nod to the bottom line because without that, they will not meet the obligations to the stockholders which is what public company needs to do.

What I feel is needed though, and I discussed this with them, is that they cannot toss aside those who have made their company what it is. Granted they created the C&A program with maybe loose requirements in the past and as such created the situation they have today with high numbers of repeat cruisers on each cruise, but just as they need to expand their new cruiser base to keep them going in future years, they cannot forget those that keep coming back. If they do, then at some point the repeaters will stop and then the question is if the new cruisers are enough to fill the ships. Most likely not.

They still need to let the C & A members know that RCCL appreciates their loyalty. Constantly removing benefits that were promised to them to get them back is not the way to go unless you find another way to compensate.

I do agree overall, and certainly if the balcony discount disappeared entirely I would say that's a big issue. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first step into it disappearing in the future. Things like this tend to erode rather then get cut off completely.

I think for them the change in ships is one of the driving forces for this particular perk. Having ships that are now 70-80% (or more) balconies means this perk has gained much more value (and cost for them) then what it was probably intended to be when it was first made. For the older ships, it still works for them (the price on a vision class ship balcony is much higher then OV/inside), but for Oasis/Anthem class it's for just about every cabin. They might as well just make it "discount cruise for C&A members of a a couple hundred bucks". Which is why I would not be shocked if this perk disappears in few years completely.

For the older ships, it still works for them (the price on a vision class ship balcony is much higher then OV/inside), but for Oasis/Anthem class it's for just about every cabin. They might as well just make it "discount cruise for C&A members of a a couple hundred bucks". Which is why I would not be shocked if this perk disappears in few years completely.

Interesting point.

What I feel is needed though, and I discussed this with them, is that they cannot toss aside those who have made their company what it is.

Let's do some math: on a typical 7 day cruise with today's going rate of around say $2000 for balcony cabin, does the typical C&A D or higher cruiser jump ship over less than $200 (because that's what the balcony discount will be less than 6 months out)? If the price of some competing cruise is that close they would have gone already. Oh, BTW, out of the large pool of D and higher C&A only a small portion book late or look for price drops. Tell me again why wouldn't RCI do this? No one is getting tossed aside, it will simply be another in a series of steps to cut outlays by a business in the business of making money.

And as been said before, very few if any other line offers a balcony discount so be glad one is available at all.

Edited by Biker19

Bit of a change as far as the questions..........before the upgrade question was not #5...They added the within 6 month ruling as number 4 now..

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Crown_and_Anchor/16052085_CAS_Member_Appreciation.pdf

IF you save this link(as a bookmark or favorite),it will update if they make changes...

Thanks- I wonder if they are going to add the rules about changing for pricing and/or ship and sail date less than 6 months out. We will see

This really most likely does not effect me, since we normally book a year or so in advance and if I can not get the price I like on RCCL there is other lines, was just looking at a Princess that leaves from NYC, not interested in NJ

Trying to think of a way to ask them politely if they are pulling the answer out of their a$$, or is there some written corporate policy that covers the price drop within 6 months scenario.

Would substituting rectum instead of a$$ be considered politer?:D

Just a suggestion. I've used 'derriere' and it was not received well so I'm not sure rectum will be much better. :eek::D

Maybe one of these days it will appear on the flyer Kathy posted under the FAQ- ;)

The logical answer is they want people to book early. The secondary one is, most of their new ships are almost ALL balconies. The balcony discount made sense to them when they had many inside, OV cabins on ships. In those times a balcony was a serious upgrade (in experience, but also in cost).

Now everyone gets a balcony, it's about all there is. They're effectively giving a discount to every C&A cruiser, rather then using it to promote people to spend extra for a balcony.

So now it's turning into a tool to promote people to book earlier. Other cruise lines may have their own methods (NCL, for example, gives a bonus loyalty point for cruises booked >9 months in advance).

It might be a good argument except for one point -- C&A balcony discounts did not exist when the only available ships had few balconies, ie, Vision Class and older. I can't quote you the date when balcony discounts were created, but it was after Voyager Class and above were built. My best guess is that around the time Diamond Plus tier level was created, in 2004, is when the discounts first appeared, maybe even later.

Let's do some math: on a typical 7 day cruise with today's going rate of around say $2000 for balcony cabin, does the typical C&A D or higher cruiser jump ship over less than $200 (because that's what the balcony discount will be less than 6 months out)? If the price of some competing cruise is that close they would have gone already. Oh, BTW, out of the large pool of D and higher C&A only a small portion book late or look for price drops. Tell me again why wouldn't RCI do this? No one is getting tossed aside, it will simply be another in a series of steps to cut outlays by a business in the business of making money.

And as been said before, very few if any other line offers a balcony discount so be glad one is available at all.

Although I more often than not book more than 6 months out, I have booked within 6 months, especially on shorter cruises. And not because there has been a price drop but because we sometimes don't know whether we will be able to schedule a cruise at a particular time.

I was going to discuss a cruise over MLK weekend with my daughter when she returns to the country at the end of August. I now am planning a land based trip - even though it would have been our 3rd MLK weekend cruise. I was also considering a short cruise in early March, which I now am not.

For me it is not just about the money - it is more the cumulative effect of many recent disappointing decisions made by RCI including a cancelled cruise due to a decision to re-deploy (along with inaccurate explanations/false reassurances prior to delayed announcement the cruise actually had been cancelled), changes in itinerary not due to weather or mechanical issues - including a switch in port stops a few days prior to sailing, reduction in suite benefits within a few short months of announcement of the program (which I also found out about through Cruise Critic not RCI), etc.

Frankly, I have been more loyal to RCI than I probably should have - even during the last several years when I have felt the itineraries on a whole were lacking in interest/excitement. Actions speak louder than words. Now that RCI has shown multiple times in the last 6 months that it has no regard for the negative impact the constant changes have had on our enjoyment in booking a cruise, I certainly will be taking more of my money elsewhere.

This really most likely does not effect me, since we normally book a year or so in advance and if I can not get the price I like on RCCL there is other lines, was just looking at a Princess that leaves from NYC, not interested in NJ

To be honest I found sailing out of NJ a lot easier then NY. It's the same harbor but easier driving. Just fly into Newark

It might be a good argument except for one point -- C&A balcony discounts did not exist when the only available ships had few balconies, ie, Vision Class and older. I can't quote you the date when balcony discounts were created, but it was after Voyager Class and above were built. My best guess is that around the time Diamond Plus tier level was created, in 2004, is when the discounts first appeared, maybe even later.

They still had the old ships to fill with expensive balconies. They were still the predominant ships then. All the vision and sovereign ships were around. Now it's 4 combined for the most part. And the voyager class still had a fair amount of inside (and promenade) and OV rooms. There was not quite the glut of balcony rooms to that point that there is now. With oasis class and the BW and CP it's just about the whole ship. Of course there is also a lot more D and up cruisers now too.

To be honest I found sailing out of NJ a lot easier then NY. It's the same harbor but easier driving. Just fly into Newark

I go to midtown/NYC for vacation every year, so it is so much easier when I can combine my favorite 2 vacations with 1 airfare and a short taxi ride, do not see any reason to visit NJ

Wow, I get slammed when I say PE is to long a drive from PC. :eek:

I go to midtown/NYC for vacation every year, so it is so much easier when I can combine my favorite 2 vacations with 1 airfare and a short taxi ride, do not see any reason to visit NJ

If you're sailing out of Manhatten, yeah. Going to Brooklyn for Princess is not much closer then Bayonne for RCL/Celebrity from midtown. Bayonne is just a 10-15 minute drive outside the Holland tunnel. Heck, might take longer with the traffic on the roads going to Brooklyn.