No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

I cannot help but feel that this is all part of a well thought out strategy for Royal to reduce the benefits yet make the C&A members feel like they have won.

STEP 1. Introduce changes to the program that are greater than the actual changes that you want to implement knowing the ****storm that it will create among the members.

STEP 2. Put the initial plans on hold saying that based on overwhelming feedback you will review the proposed changes.

STEP 3. After an appropriate period of time to allow a review, introduce scaled back reductions (no balcony discount after final paymemt???) Members still grumble a bit but are still feeling like they won and due to their letter wring efforts that forced Royal to back down.

Royal has now implemented the changes it originally wanted and has members being thankful of the reduced changes.

I think you are giving RCI more credit as a master strategist than it deserves. Nothing much has seemed well thought out recently. :)

I have typically sailed with Royal Caribbean but there is really little or no financial "appreciation" from them to do so. I find I can save more money by looking at different cruise lines and waiting for that mysterious one or two day price drop that appears and then disappears. I've got a great rate on Royal Caribbean on an upcoming cruise that I booked a year ago. Now, I have another very good rate on a Princess cruise for February 2018. It's too bad that Royal Caribbean didn't value the repeat cruiser a little more.

I think you are giving RCI more credit as a master strategist than it deserves. Nothing much has seemed well thought out recently. :)

Has it? Or is that what they want you to think.:D:D:D

We are all great about being armchair CEO's here on CC but we never have all the information.

Don't get me wrong, there certainly have been decisions made and things done that most if not all would find fault with but the company is not being run by a bunch of idiots either.

Has it? Or is that what they want you to think.:D:D:D

Well, maybe it is part of a grander scheme. I just got an email from an online TA which reads in part:

"Important Change for

Crown & Anchor Members

RE: Pre-Cruise Balcony Discounts

Royal Caribbean just announced that effective September 1, 2016 any C&A Member that books within 6 months of sailing will no longer receive a C&A pre-cruise balcony discount.

What does this mean for you?

Of course, book NOW if you are looking to cruise within the next 6 months.

However, as a special limited-time promotion to all C&A members, if you book a new cruise between now thru August 22, 2016, you will be eligible for an increased pre-cruise balcony discount of one tier higher than what you currently qualify for on virtually ANY sailing."

So, did RCI purposefully not tell TAs they were suspending plans to do away with the C&A discount on cruises within 6 months? Did RCI tell TAs but they choose to go with pre-planned ads in order to boost short term sales? Will RCI now "have to" go forward with the suspension if all TAs are saying it is so? Or are all of the powers that be at RCI and the TA incompetent? You be the judge.

Well, maybe it is part of a grander scheme. I just got an email from an online TA which reads in part:

"Important Change for

Crown & Anchor Members

Royal Caribbean just announced that effective September 1, 2016 any C&A Member that books within 6 months of sailing will no longer receive a C&A pre-cruise balcony discount.

However, as a special limited-time promotion to all C&A members, if you book a new cruise between now thru August 22, 2016, you will be eligible for an increased pre-cruise balcony discount of one tier higher than what you currently qualify for on virtually ANY sailing."

So, did RCI purposefully not tell TAs they were suspending plans to do away with the C&A discount on cruises within 6 months? Did RCI tell TAs but they choose to go with pre-planned ads in order to boost short term sales? Will RCI now "have to" go forward with the suspension if all TAs are saying it is so? Or are all of the powers that be at RCI and the TA incompetent? You be the judge.

OR is your TA just sending you this info that came out last week?? (and is outdated):confused:

"Important Change for

Crown & Anchor Members

I just got the same email from the same TA I'm sure. This is one of RC's biggest, if not the biggest online booking agent for RC. I did hit my reply button and wrote back to them. I don't know if RC didn't get the word out OR if RC deliberately just removed that phrase from this week's promotion and still intend to carry it out. It's rare for this TA to get something THIS WRONG, and they are really pushing this week's promotions on it to hurry up and book your close bookings now and get balcony credit before you can't!

Who on here was told or received email that said taking away the discount had been postponed?

"Important Change for

Crown & Anchor Members

Or was the on line TA just late in sending the information they received last week out to you?

I'm not sure how long it will take Royal to send information about the postponement of the implementation or if they will even bother until they come to some sort of final decision.

I just got the same email from the same TA I'm sure. This is one of RC's biggest, if not the biggest online booking agent for RC. I did hit my reply button and wrote back to them. I don't know if RC didn't get the word out OR if RC deliberately just removed that phrase from this week's promotion and still intend to carry it out. It's rare for this TA to get something THIS WRONG, and they are really pushing this week's promotions on it to hurry up and book your close bookings now and get balcony credit before you can't!

Who on here was told or received email that said taking away the discount had been postponed?

Clint and Ellen both posted that they had been told by the D+ desk that the change was postponed.

I wrote this email last Friday to him:

Mr. Bayley:

My husband and I have cruised with Royal Caribbean since October 1973. We are Diamond Plus, and have loved our cruising experience with RCCL for almost 43 years.

On the CruiseCritic boards I have always advocated that your wonderful Crown and Anchor program is truly the best in the industry, and also that when there are changes it's "RCCL's program, and it's RCCL's rules".

However, I have to admit that your upcoming change to the balcony discount benefit, removing the discount if a cruise is booked less than 6 months before the cruise date, is upsetting. If your overall goal is to honor your loyal customers, this is definitely not the way to do it! It seems to be arbitrary, and possible wasn't thoroughly thought through before the decision was made.

I wonder if the research was based on the fact that the discount isn't being used during that under 6 month booking window. If you only looked at the numbers (I call this the "bean-counter factor"), and not the effect on your customers, then you are missing the whole point of a "benefit" and "loyalty reward". It's not always based on numbers, but the feeling your customers get about being appreciated and valued.

The resulting feeling about this change is very negative from what I've been reading on CruiseCritic, and that's just one source. I'd say the RCCL boards and threads are pretty much on fire about it!!

I just got a call from his office wanting to thank me for writing and expressing my concern about the C&A benefit change, and informing me they were rescinding the elimination of the balcony discount if booked less than 6 months in advance.

She said it has been rescinded until further notice, and she did not know if it would be changed again in the future, but they had so many complaints and comments about it that Mr. Bayley knew it had to be reviewed in more depth.

I thanked her for the follow-up call and reiterated that business is not always about the numbers, but sometimes about the feeling of being honored and appreciated as a loyal customer.

We'll see what happens in the future.

I wrote this email last Friday to him:

Mr. Bayley:

My husband and I have cruised with Royal Caribbean since October 1973. We are Diamond Plus, and have loved our cruising experience with RCCL for almost 43 years.

On the CruiseCritic boards I have always advocated that your wonderful Crown and Anchor program is truly the best in the industry, and also that when there are changes it's "RCCL's program, and it's RCCL's rules".

However, I have to admit that your upcoming change to the balcony discount benefit, removing the discount if a cruise is booked less than 6 months before the cruise date, is upsetting. If your overall goal is to honor your loyal customers, this is definitely not the way to do it! It seems to be arbitrary, and possible wasn't thoroughly thought through before the decision was made.

I wonder if the research was based on the fact that the discount isn't being used during that under 6 month booking window. If you only looked at the numbers (I call this the "bean-counter factor"), and not the effect on your customers, then you are missing the whole point of a "benefit" and "loyalty reward". It's not always based on numbers, but the feeling your customers get about being appreciated and valued.

The resulting feeling about this change is very negative from what I've been reading on CruiseCritic, and that's just one source. I'd say the RCCL boards and threads are pretty much on fire about it!!

I just got a call from his office wanting to thank me for writing and expressing my concern about the C&A benefit change, and informing me they were rescinding the elimination of the balcony discount if booked less than 6 months in advance.

She said it has been rescinded until further notice, and she did not know if it would be changed again in the future, but they had so many complaints and comments about it that Mr. Bayley knew it had to be reviewed in more depth.

I thanked her for the follow-up call and reiterated that business is not always about the numbers, but sometimes about the feeling of being honored and appreciated as a loyal customer.

We'll see what happens in the future.

Rescinded sounds a bit better than postponed.:)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I just got an email from RCI "we're celebrating you this week" with the C&A exclusive limited time offer to get the balcony discount of the next higher tier. Nothing about removing the discount for sailings within 6 months. We shall see.

Received the same email. Those emails are printed up at least 1-2 months before they are actually sent out. We've received emails where are points were no where near our current total.

Clint and Ellen both posted that they had been told by the D+ desk that the change was postponed.

Till after the President's cruise,I bet;)

;)

Business must be good.......I've been on hold 30 minutes so far:eek:

Did anyone screen capture the original message from RC that said the Balcony discount for <6 months would stop on September 1.

The link now goes to an announcement with that left out...does anyone have the original one?

Please email to CruiseEmails at gmail dot com

PS I did get a call from Keith at Corporate this afternoon saying that the removal of the discount was been taken "off the table." I wrote last Friday voicing my displeasure about it. He said they had MANY MANY calls and emails. I think it sure helped!

Till after the President's cruise,I bet;)

;)

Business must be good.......I've been on hold 30 minutes so far:eek:

If he's smart he will use that cruise to announce a positive resolution.

After dinner, bad time to call. (You should have had Ellen call for you, she seems to be calling a fair bit lately)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Did anyone screen capture the original message from RC that said the Balcony discount for <6 months would stop on September 1.

The link now goes to an announcement with that left out...does anyone have the original one?

Please email to CruiseEmails at gmail dot com

PS I did get a call from Keith at Corporate this afternoon saying that the removal of the discount was been taken "off the table." I wrote last Friday voicing my displeasure about it. He said they had MANY MANY calls and emails. I think it sure helped!

You have email. :)

~ Judy

No, thank you! And my thanks to everyone who voiced their displeasure to Royal about not allowing C&A balcony discount for cruises less than 6 months out. :D

Now if we could just do something about their IT Department. :rolleyes:

~ Judy

I am afraid there is nothing we do can do to change their IT department. I am in the industry and I would have been fired a long time ago if I had allowed all of the mistakes that have "slipped through the cracks".

I am afraid there is nothing we do can do to change their IT department. I am in the industry and I would have been fired a long time ago if I had allowed all of the mistakes that have "slipped through the cracks".

Isn't that the truth-lol!!! Their website is by far the most unuser friendly thing in the world!!!

I just got an email from RCI "we're celebrating you this week" with the C&A exclusive limited time offer to get the balcony discount of the next higher tier. Nothing about removing the discount for sailings within 6 months. We shall see.
Got the same email from RCI.