Feedback Wanted: Help for First Time Cruisers

LauraS

• Administrators

Calling all Experienced Cruisers: We’re working on an upcoming article for first time cruisers and would love to get your feedback!

What question(s) are you asked most frequently by first time cruisers (and feel free to note how you reply). Please feel free to note anything else you might want to add that you wished you had known prior to your first cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura

(My sister asked us this one. She's never been.)

Q: What are your three favourite things about cruising?

A: Not having to cook or clean for a week

Only having to unpack and pack once despite of going to several different destinations

Getting a chance to really relax (which is rare having a toddler).

Q: Will I be bored on my cruise?

A: A cruise is what you make of it. You can participate in as many activities as possible or relax on your balcony, deck, or at any number of observation spots around the ship with either your binoculars or your favourite tome.

QUESTION: What do you enjoy so much about cruising (people tend to know I'm fanatical about cruising)

ANSWER: It was the first vacation we took where we could truly get away from it all. When we started cruising there were no cell phones, no computers, no easy way for work to catch up with us. To this day, when I step on board a ship, I'm able to leave the rest of the world behind. It's the best thing about cruising (along with all the wonderful people you meet from all over the world). Sure, you can be "connected" now if you want to be, but for me, it's a true escape! ;)

Question -Why do you like to cruise so much?

Answer- I love the sea, the smell, the motion of the ocean, the different colors.(old Navy guy)

I can do just about anything I want. Different places to visit without unpacking. To be with my wife 24 hours at a time (yes that's right) can't always be with her due to my job. Meeting new people.

Question- #1 tip ?- Do your own excursions-be adventurous-just make sure you're back onboard ship in time to sail!

Q: How much motion can you feel?

A: Obviously, this one changes from cruise to cruise and day to day, but my advice is to pack enough motion sickness medicine (and some ginger pills) to last the entire trip, just in case.

Q: What should I pack?

A: It's best to check the cruise website or a general interest book on cruising to get an idea of what to pack for a particular itinerary. However, the less the better. It takes a while to whittle down that clothing list, but you eventually learn what you can live without -- and what you absolutely need. It's also a great idea to take advantage of whatever laundry facilities are available onboard. Leading us to...

Q: What should I absolutely make certain to bring?

A: In addition to motion sickness medication, things like sun block, pain reliever, Immodium, a travel clock, wire hangers, extra room in the suitcase for souvenirs (or pack a flat-folding, large bag), books/magazines/music, extra batteries, tapes and storage cards for digital cameras and camcorders, chargers for cell phones and cameras, and most importantly, a good attitude and a sense of adventure. There's also the oft mentioned bungee cords and duct tape!

Should I book air connections through the cruise line or on my own?

The following are experiences that might help you with your planning.

Our Infinity cruise to Hawaii was cancelled less than one week prior to sailing because of engine/propulsion problems. We had arranged our own air which was insured. Insurance did not cover the flight cancellation because it was not the airline's fault. There was no weather, delay, or health problems therefore we lost the flight cost. Celebrity gave us a free cruise but no compensation for the flight.

Our arrival from a Princess transatlantic cruise from Venice to NY was delayed by 8 hours as a result of stormy weather. Everyone missed their flights. Princess arranged for new flights and hotel accomodations for those who booked through Princess.

The Pacific Princess (Nov 1998) was impounded in Greece because some crew members were caught selling drugs. Those passengers arriving on their own had to arrange for alternatives to their two-week cruise.

We are cruising on Summit Nov 6 but arranged our own air to arrive on the 5th. There are no hotels available at this time and the airport has a curfew which will prevent our plane (NW) from flying. NW will charge us $100 pp to change our flight. Presently we are hoping that the curfew will be lifted and that hotels will have power back.

Q: What should I absolutely make certain to bring?

A: Cold medication. During the winter/flu season the chance of getting a cold or cough increases greatly.

We have been on ships were over 80% of the passengers have picked up a cold.

COLD FX an over the counter product will greatly reduce the severity and chance of getting sick. It is a Ginseng product now proven (according to Canadian health research) to work.

How do I get from the airport to the ship if a) I'm using Celebrity air, or b) I book my own air?

a) Celebrity will provide a transfer from airport to pier if they provide the air;

b) You can purchase a Celebrity transfer or use taxi, car service and in some cases, a shuttle service. (Or friend or family member who lives nearby;) )

Susan

Tip: Don't plan so many excursions that you don't have time to enjoy the other things the port has to offer.

We booked 9 excursions between 5 Alaska ports, thinking we wouldn't return to Alaska anytime soon & wanted to see it all. What we did was exhaust ourselves & not get to see anything in the port town.

How is the food?

:D Well I didn't get like this not eatting and my advise is to at least try different things. What our dining tables have done is everyone get one thing extra and then pass it around, this way everyone can try what they might have missed or on the other hand glad they didn't order it.

Answer: The cabins are quite smaller than a standard hotel room, however you will find plenty of room for all of your things. Most cruise line cabin designs allow for excellent closet space and cubby holes for storage. Also, there will be plenty of room to change clothes - even get ready for that formal dinner. Most of the newer ship cabins have at least 2 lower beds - so you won't have to do bunks. There is usually a TV, minibar, small table and a desk. So, don't worry, you'll find yourself feeling right at home in minutes.

1) Do you ever get sea sick?

No, I haven't so far, but there are a number of over-the-counter products, ear patches, and sea bands that people use to prevent or treat sea sickness that seem to be quite effective. All ships have a doctor onboard and most of them will provide seasickness medication if the cruise gets rough. If you're really concerned and unsure about whether you might get sick, try a short cruise first. Many lines have three and four day cruises.

2) Doesn't it bother you to be "stuck" on a ship in the middle of the ocean for a couple of days without being able to put your feet on solid ground?

I love it! First of all, you can't imagine how nice these ships really are. You will be amazed to find that they are virtual cities with just about every convenience you will need. The public rooms are spacious and comfortable and designed to accommodate a large number of passengers without feeling crowded. You can find quiet corners for reading or relaxing; you can work out at the health spa; you can relax at the pool; or you can join in with the crew and passengers for any number of activities. You come to enjoy being away from the "real world," and sometimes when you do get off at a port, you can't wait to get back on the ship.

Be prepared for change. On a rare occasion, a ship's itinierary or planned shore excursion may change for a wide variety of reasons but these kinds of things do happen. The best thing to do is go with the flow and when changes occur, don't let them ruin your vacation.

Q: Should I take insurance?

A: My answer: Absolutley at a minimum, take medical/illness insurance. Regards cancellation or interruption insurance - Before you say no to it, look at the possible scenarios that could force you to abandon your trip before or during it - then figure out how much it would cost you ontop of what you have already paid out for your cruise. Now ask yourself if your can afford to lose that much and then make the decision.

Q: Do you have to .........

A: You do not "have to" do anything you do not want to on a cruise with two exceptions - muster drill and that is usually quick and the crew try to make it as fun as possible; and, the other is to clear customs.

In particular I find I often have to reassure folks that no, you don't have to eat at the set dining times - there are ample other options including ordering from your room; no, you don't have to join in anything you don't want to (eg. pool activities); no you don't have to do shore excursions (you don't even have to get off while the ship is in port unless you are deembarking on your final day!)

Calling all Experienced Cruisers: We’re working on an upcoming article for first time cruisers and would love to get your feedback!

What question(s) are you asked most frequently by first time cruisers (and feel free to note how you reply). Please feel free to note anything else you might want to add that you wished you had known prior to your first cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura

Q. What is the best Sea Sickness medicine?

A. I go with Meclizine. The generic for Bonine. Works great, not drosie and cheaper than name brand. Check Ebay!

I am usually asked do you book shore excursions on board the ship?

I usually check out cruisecritic and find out if at the ports we can find a good tour guide. If the area is uncertain then I may book on the ship.

What is your favorite shore excursion?

I tell them swimming with the stingrays in Georgetown, and floating down a eagle perserve in a zodiak raft in Alaska

Being a truly addicted cruiser, it seems incredible to me that some people haven't tried it yet!! If you have any reservations about trying that first cruise take a short 3 or 4 day cruise for that 1st time. I'd be willing to bet 90% of the people will book another cruise while on board.

But really the question was what's the best part of cruising and I think many of you have it nailed - getting away!!! No easy links to the "real" world and the ability to see more than one area in one trip!! I always tell people it's a women's holiday 'cause the only decision you HAVE to deal with is what to order off the menu for dinner!

For those who think the cabins are too small and slightly claustrophic, I would recommend a balcony cabin. For those who think they will be bored because there is nothing to do all day, I just bring out one of the daily newsletters from my last cruise!! For those who think they might get seasick, there are just too many ways to combat this malady to stop you from cruising. Besides the newer ships have so little motion it's hard to tell they are even moving!!!!

Why do you cruise so much?

My husband & I can't seem to make decisions on meals on vacation. What do you feel like eating? I don't know.... What time do you want to eat? I don't know..... :rolleyes: A cruise helps solve this problem - we always eat in the dining room so we know what time and they hand us the menu with first class service we want for nothing!

Should we book a table for 2 or sit with strangers?

We always book a large table. We have all day to talk to each other and love to interract with others at dinner. Usually with 3 or 4 other couples the conversation never lags and if you get "stuck" with a not so great person or 2, the others compensate for it.

How do you know so much about cruises?

I start researching ports, ships, etc once I think I want to cruise. The internet is a wealth of information but the best is definitely found here on Cruise Critic.

The last question I can remember being asked is," Will my husband feel too cooped up on the ship?" My answer was try taking a cruise that is more port intensive. Personally I hate too many ports but if someone feels they need to explore and are the fidgety type, more ports may be good for them. We once when first cruising took a 7 day cruise and saw 5 islands. We were so exhausted that we never look for that now. People have to ask themselves what they want from this experience and then look for the cruise line and itinerary that suits them. Sea days are for me but not for everyone. Pat

LOL! I remember our first "family" cruise at 12 years old. My mother came home and told my father she had booked a 7 day on the Song of Norway. He told her to cancel it, that he had been in the navy during wartime for a number of years and definitely would NOT want to take a cruise....needless to say, Mom and my sister were seasick almost everytime the ship pulled out of port! Dad and I had a great time....We came back and booked a 14 day! The questions I get asked the most are: what to pack and what do you do during the day onboard ship?

We've had this asked by friends and told them just do what you do on any vacation. What do you feel like doing? Did also advise them of the great "Daily" which is delivered to your cabin each evening telling you about what's happening the next day.

Archived