Feedback Wanted: Help for First Time Cruisers

LauraS

• Administrators

Calling all Experienced Cruisers: We’re working on an upcoming article for first time cruisers and would love to get your feedback!

What question(s) are you asked most frequently by first time cruisers (and feel free to note how you reply). Please feel free to note anything else you might want to add that you wished you had known prior to your first cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura

A good piece of advice in my opinion is to pick up a brochure, even if you researched your cruise on the internet & know what ship and date you want. Brochures are great because anything you need to know - dress codes, dining times, cancellation policies etc. etc. are contained in that one book. It'll potentially help solve a lot of problems! Also, don't be afraid to ask a question on these boards - the HAL board is filled with great people, and chances are someone will be able to help you!

I find that first time cruisers tend to be surprised at some of the extra charges for spa, tours, alternative dining, soft drinks. Also the need to be aware that the ships put a hold on a portion of your credit card line if you register your credit card. First time cruisers tend to think the price is ALL inclusive and then are disappointed in the cruise line when these extras show up. I have come across this from several of my Mom's friends that recently took their first cruise and then tried to blame HAL. I told them all the moderately priced cruise lines have these add-ons.

All ships are not created equal - even within the same line. So if you compare cruises you need to compare the cabins head to head, rather than an inside vs. an inside. They can be very different.

Also that you can book a specific cabin rather than a guarantee!

Internet bookers, many of whom are first time cruisers, seem to have no idea that every cruise line has brochures which contain very helpful information. An experienced cruise TA would be very helpful to them and, in my experience, could probably match the internet price they've spent hours researching. A TA will give you a breakdown of just how your total cost is made up - not always available from 'net' sellers.

Mention might be made that, traditionally, the 2nd night and the 2nd last night of a cruise are Formal nights. On longer cruises, the question as to which night(s) are Formal makes no sense to me. Again, a good cruise TA will advise how many Formal, Informal and casual nights there are - I pack accordingly.

Also, questions as to what is on the menu on any given night seem odd - what difference does it make? It's assumed that those on special diets would mention the fact at time of booking and to my knowledge, all lines cater to such requests.

Mealplanning 50 odd weeks of the year, I cruise to be surprised and have never yet gone hungry.

Just my 10¢ worth:D

I find that first time cruisers tend to be surprised at some of the extra charges for spa, tours, alternative dining, soft drinks. Also the need to be aware that the ships put a hold on a portion of your credit card line if you register your credit card. First time cruisers tend to think the price is ALL inclusive and then are disappointed in the cruise line when these extras show up. I have come across this from several of my Mom's friends that recently took their first cruise and then tried to blame HAL. I told them all the moderately priced cruise lines have these add-ons.
I always urge first timers to request a copy of their charges after the first few days into the cruise. It is simultaneously a reality check on how those "little" drink, spa, tour charges can add up very rapidly ande an opportunity to address bogus charges long before the queuing starts on the last day before disembarkation.

Always keep your receipts in an envelope so you can check your charges against your bill. If you want to pack less check out the laundry service and the charge. I have done both as to me doing it once and then having the service 4 times. Guess which was best for me. That way when you pack it can be for a few days then repeat that way you can take home lots of goodies:D Also if you don't see it, ASK for it! Many times you never know is something is available and suprise it is.

We always check the meals at both the dinning room and Lido, even though we always eat in the dinning you might want something different. Also along that line, if you only want 2 entrees order it!!

Oh and the room service is wonderful!!! Most of the time we order breakfast in and once when I wasn't feeling well we ordered lunch or dinner don't remember but it was wonderful. As an example, we had shrimp cocktails, New York Steak Sandwiches and the best desert plus our ice tea.

Kathy

The best advice is for people to read boards like this but if they knew to do that, they would likely already be doing it.

The biggest question I get is concern about becoming seasick. Brochures and such have to hedge their bets by barely mentioning it and not really soothing people's fears. Some straightforward talk about seasickness, and how simple it is to protect yourself using drugs or SeaBands, would be useful.

The information about exactly what is and is not covered, in plain simple language, would also be very useful. Many people do not understand it and do not ask about it. I believe that giving examples is one of the best ways of helping someone understand so some good examples of things covered and not covered would hep.

Also some information on what a shore excursion is (and how to find them other than through the ships) might be useful. At first, I was really worried that if I booked other than through the ship, I might miss the departure time but someone on this board reminded me that the companies mentioned on this board rely on places like this board, and word of mouth, for their income so are usually extremely careful about being sure to get you back on board in time and want you to have a really good time. Ship scheduled excursions do not rely on good word of mouth so it is a pretty simple idea to remember that privately booked excursions will usually have more "customer service".

A very important consideration for first time cruisers is booking air through the cruiseline or on their own. Personally, I always book on my own, but I also know the risk involved if my flight is delayed or cancelled. For that reason, I almost always fly in a day early OR if I fly the day of the cruise, I take the absolute earliest flight out of my city, KNOWING that there are backup flights that I can hopefully get on if my original flight is delayed or cancelled.

A second big concern for first time cruisers involve Hurricanes. Most do not seem to understand that the captains have the capability to steer the ships away from the path of the storms or alter their itinerary. They need to be reassured that once out to sea that they are probably as safe (if not more so) than on land.

I think the biggest "reality check" for first time cruisers is the whole tipping issue. Now that cruising is becoming a more "mass market" vacation, a lot of folks doing it for the first time are often shocked at the $10 per day auto-tip. They are just not used to tipping in an amount like $70 for a week.

On my last cruise, I encountered a woman at our table who had just found out about the auto tip. She had no idea $10 per day was being charged to her onboard account. She seemed a bit upset, and not in a nasty way. I think she was honestly on a tight budget for this trip and this suggested tip amount was gonna bust her bank.

On my very first cruise ... a writer's retreat at sea ... I shared a cabin aboard HAL's Rotterdam with another writer from Seattle. She was a young kid and clearly on a pretty tight budget. This cruise would probably be her only one ... at least in a long while. This was before auto-tipping, but I distinctly remember asking her on the last full day if she wanted to combine a tip for the cabin steward. She handed me $10 ... for a ten-day cruise. She honestly told me that she simply didn't have extra to tip and was under the impression that one didn't tip on this ship (HAL used to say Tipping Not Required in their brochures). This woman also was only able to pony up $20 for the dining room servers ... again, for a ten-day cruise.

Was she being cheap? I honestly don't think so. She was a very nice person ... but a person to whom tipping was a foreign concept and one whose budget was stretched to the limit by this trip.

While many cruisers are accustomed to eating in nice land-based restaurants and tipping accordingly, many new cruisers are the type who rarely eat out or who eat in low budget type places like buffets. A $10 a day tip is quite a lot to them ... and something they may not have budgeted for. Sadly, most people don't read boards like this and thus are not "privy" to what are the general expectations in this whole area of tipping. Especially for those lines that do not deduct gratuities from onboard accounts automatically, it can be a real sticker shock when they realize that an appropriate tip for a seven-day cruise is a lot more than they would have ever parted with in a land-based venue. Often times, they are caught short in that this kind of amount was never budgeted.

I think more discussion of tipping ... especially for those lines that do not deduct auto tips ... is in order for your piece for first-timers. I also think the cruise lines need to be much more forthcoming on this subject in their literature. Such would save many people, especially first-timers, considerable embarrassment when it comes time to make up those little envelopes at the end of the cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

First time cruisers often don't understand about the process of embarkation/disembarkation. I remind them about the importance of having a carry-on bag, packed with one or two outfits, toiletries, meds and valuables in case your bags are lost or delayed, and for disembarkation, to back up those items you still needed that last night and morning.

simple but glad i found out on our first cruise...

someone told me to always take the stairs if possible. We did and still ate 10 meals a day but didn't gain any weight.

also, depending on what ports you are stopping at, learn about the culture and respect it when you visit.

We forego the cruise line air packages and fly into the departure city at least 1 night in advance. It cuts out the potential complications caused by flight

delays and we are relaxed and refreshed on embarkation day. It also gives us a chance to explore a new city as we did with Vancouver on our recent Zaandam cruise, or visit a favorite restaurant such as Eduardo de San Angel when we cruise from Ft Lauderdale.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest that new cruisers print a copy of the deck plans and plot paths to various areas from their cabin. Note the locations of the elevators and stairwells on their deck and orient themselves to port, starboard, forward and aft.

Another thing I would suggest is to read the cruise information in the book in the cabin which contains room service menus, dress codes, hours of services for lounges, dining, shops, spas etc. Also the daily programs which mught contain schedule changes, and of course port information. Most lines also televise port and shopping info as well as tour particulars.

Familiarize yourself with the air/heat controls and the radio station for announcements that you may only hear if you're on an outside deck. The anti-scald controls on the shower/tub fauncets are important too.

Ask the cabin steward to show you how to use the safe, and where to find laundry bags and order lists.

That's all I can think of now, hope it helps.

GN

Even if booking with an online TA, pick up a book about your cruiseline at a Travel Agency or AAA...................it's fun to "learn" the ship before you go and you can "see" your cabin, etc.;)

Read the newsletter each night and highlight things you are interested in doing the following day. Many people on here have said they missed the first three or four days because they didn't do that............they just explored. I think we missed out on things the first day as well.

Wish I'd have known about these chat places before we'd done three cruises!:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just returned (AKA: DW and I) from our first cruise. We had NO problems that weren't easily resolved and that is due to the time I spent on this website. Reading what others have posted regarding the entire cruise, start to finish, allowed me to know exactly what to expect. There would have been so many questions had I not spent the time to read the postings. When something happened or was scheduled, I just explained to my DW, this is what they said we should do...and presto....magic....all was well!!! Thanks to all the veteran cruisers who made our cruise easy and wonderful!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

i think its important that they understand the difference between a travel agent and a cruise travel agent-- using a cruise ta who has cruised before has very important information that the new cruiser should be aware---the new cruiser should not be afraid or intimidated into NOT asking questions about some of the concerns that they have

travelling with proper documention -- handling of meds -jewelrey cameras and the like ----------------what should be packed and what should be carried

Most cabins have little counter space, so I bring two hanging shoe bags (clear vinyl/plastic with pockets. They often have over-the-door squared off holders that can clip on the closet or bathroom doors. I keep so many things organized via this method: hair accessories, toiletries, ball caps, costume jewelry, etc.

I always (also) bring:

a lighted alarm clock, a multiple outlet power strip, backup memory/flash cards for my digital camera, at least one disposable/waterproof camera, post-it notes to leave messages, walkie-talkies to stay in touch on ship or shore, a ton of light-to-pack wire hangers, vacuum-pack travel bags to condense the size of my clothing (which pops back to life when air is let in), a debit card with enough available credit to allow me $75/day; charger for digital camera, Bonine just in case (never have used, even in a near-miss of a hurricane), rain poncho, at least one dressy sweater because the venues on the ship tend to be on the cool side, many gallon and quart sized ziploc bags, a flat piece of bubble wrap to pack breakables, a strong but lightweight backpack for port excursions, an oversized envelope to save receipts, locks for my luggage, especially for that last night of the cruise when the luggage leaves my care.

(pause to take a breath)

I take two pair of black jersey-knit stretchy pants and tanks and colorful jackets for evening, and a dressier top to wear on dressy night (sparkly).

On every cruise I have taken, I get travel insurance. On a Costa Cruise of the W. Caribbean I was bitten by a bug at Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel and my ankle swelled up. The Italian (little ENGLISH) doctore' visit cost me $125 and, although it took almost a year, I got the money back. KEEP THE RECEIPT OF THE VISIT FOR SUBMISSION!

If flying to a city such as Miami or Fort Lauderdale, especially for a winter cruise, arrive the day before. Weather being a big winter consideration, the extra expense of a hotel night will be a lot easier to handle than missing the ship or at least reduce your stress level the day you leave for what is supposed to be a vacation.

Check with Guest Services throughout the week and on the day/night before you leave, to check with them on charges which you may dispute. Because my cruises of the past few years have been charters, we have paid our gratuity up front, with the option to tip 'extra' for our cabin steward and dining room staff. Most people did do a little extra for each staff member they had grown attached to. And I realize that paying gratuities in advance is not a common practice, but one limited more to special theme cruises/charter, but I love the idea.

Don't always assume you have to take the excursions offered only by the cruise line. CruiseCritic is such an excellent resource. I utilized advice two years ago prior to Cayman, and ended up pre-booking a catamaran sail and snorkel trip to Stingray City and we had only 6 passengers, two crew, while the Costa excursion group numbered over 50! Lucky us -- we had a knowledgable captain and the crew member was very hands on - and we had our snorkeling spot, and the stingrays, all to ourselves!

Sorry to go on so long!

Top two: the shoe bag advice and the travel insurance.

What can you live without??

The notion that anybody will care if you are wearing the same black pants every night. The notion that you can't be seen in your bathing suit. A copy of every photo taken by the ship's photographer -- take a lot of your own! Road rage and impatience -- be nice on the cruise, make friends with srangers and befriend the staff: it will open your mind to so many cultures, with the spicy mix of staff from around the world!

HAVE FUN

Peace on earth!:)

1. Buy travel insurance. A lot of people think that because they're young and healthy, they don't need it. Even young, healthy people can break a bone or hit their head and need medical evacuation.

2. Get to the embarkation port a day ahead of time.

3. Tipping isn't a hidden cost.

4. The ship will leave you in port if you're not there on time.

95% of all first time cruisers are intimidated by the deck plans.

The rest of us want,no, DEMAND that immense amounts of information be provided by those color coded micro-masterpieces.

Unfortunately, the first time cruiser sees it all as a bewildering hodge-podge best interpreted by "anybody else but them"

If you can provide an overview of what deck plans DO and DONT tell the potential passenger, I believe that you will have provided an invaluable service.

1. Buy travel insurance. A lot of people think that because they're young and healthy, they don't need it. Even young, healthy people can break a bone or hit their head and need medical evacuation.

The insurance is also helpful should you need to cancel your cruise at the last minute. The last few years, because of aging parents, I have purchased the Platinum Plan through HAL.

I was 12 hrs away from boarding the Zuiderdam on Dec 30th when I received word that my FIL had died. A quick call to the company told me I was covered and that I will be reimbursed the cost of my cruise. I will be out the $339 the insurance cost me but compared to the $3000+ cruise cost, I can accept that.

Archived