The mass of people

Star1

Yay! I was right. I have been doing some extensive research. We wii be in Grand Turk March 10th 2017. It will be the final port of our 8 day sailing on the Carnival Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale.

I imagine we will be ready to get away from the crowds.:cool: So we would only be snorkeling from the shore. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am curious about the Beached Whale though. I thought I read somewhere that it's located to the right of the beach when getting off the ship? Have you been to the Beached Whale?

The Beached Whale is located to your right as you get off the pier. Over by the Whale Statue, just past the excursion pier and toward the beach from the John Glenn mock up exhibit. And when we were in GT in January, it was not crowded. But easily walked to. There are restrooms in the hill side (bunker down?) Did eat there, as we had our fill at John's Ocean view in Cockburntown, but prices ont he board looked reasonable and the smells were heavenly. Next Time we're in GT, we'll most likely head there.

Jacks is getting too crowded with too many drunken folks about as there's really nothing now between Jacks and Margaritaville. All the places looked abandoned.

Thank you! Well Jacks shack is definitely out now. It's definitely going to be the Beached Whale or the Sandbar. I like that the Beached Whale is closer, but may not have good snorkeling.

They both have great reviews on Trip Advisor. On my google map it says that the Sandbar is a 12 minute walk, or a 4 minute cab ride from the cruise pier. I guess we'll try to go to both!:confused:

We love Grand Turk. We went back in June and will be back there this upcoming June. I couldn't believe how many people were crammed into Margaritaville when we went though, thankfully we didn't go there. We ended up renting a golf cart and exploring the island. We rode up to the lighthouse, checked out Her Majesty's Prison, the Conch Graveyard, the old salinas and just rode around the island exploring it. Despite how poor the island is, we felt very safe as everyone was super friendly.

How much was a golf cart and where did you rent it? How many people will fit on it?

Thanks!

Thank you! Well Jacks shack is definitely out now. It's definitely going to be the Beached Whale or the Sandbar. I like that the Beached Whale is closer, but may not have good snorkeling.

They both have great reviews on Trip Advisor. On my google map it says that the Sandbar is a 12 minute walk, or a 4 minute cab ride from the cruise pier. I guess we'll try to go to both!:confused:

It's about a 45 minute walk to the Sandbar on the roads. Maps doesn't show it well, put in the dizzy donkey instead of cruise port. We are going to cab it to the bar in November and walk back along the shore, stopping to snorkel and look for sea glass wherever the mood takes us. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you! Well Jacks shack is definitely out now. It's definitely going to be the Beached Whale or the Sandbar. I like that the Beached Whale is closer, but may not have good snorkeling. They both have great reviews on Trip Advisor. On my google map it says that the Sandbar is a 12 minute walk, or a 4 minute cab ride from the cruise pier. I guess we'll try to go to both!:confused:

Sandbar is certainly more than a 12 minute walk. 4-5 minute cab rid is pretty close though.

• 3 months later...
The nice thing about Grand Turk is if you are willing to walk half a mile up the beach you basically have that entire stretch of beach to yourself. I usually park myself half way between the ship and Jacks Shack and the only other people around are the people walking the beach. I swim for a couple of hours in the morning then head over to Jacks for some good food and cold beer. Then swim some more in the afternoon until its time to get back on the boat. Grand Turk is actually one of my favorite ports.

I know this is an old thread, I apologize.

Quick question, it is easy to find this spot?

Do you just leave the port area and turn left, and walk up the beach?

I was looking at Jack's as a place to stop, too simply huh?

TIA

Thank you. I heard,. However, I don't go back and correct old posts. And it was still standing in February.

But, if you're looking for a spot on the beach in Cockburntown, may I suggest John's Ocean view. Just a couple of longer blocks north along the coast. A bit more "rustic" than Sandbar but great service and great food, loungers on the beach.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, this situation often happens when multiple ships stop at ports where there isn't a whole heckuva lot else to do but hang on the beach and the beach is right there. For the life of me I don't understand why cruisers balk at paying $7 for a taxi ride to less crowded beaches or areas with better food and good service. But Jimmy and the Cruise Lines have roped most of them in.

I'm definitely open to the idea as I will be visiting on the Splendor at the same time that the Vista will be in port. So with over 6,000+ cruise passengers in port, do you have suggestions on other less crowded beaches in Grand Turk? Thanks in advance!

I'm definitely open to the idea as I will be visiting on the Splendor at the same time that the Vista will be in port. So with over 6,000+ cruise passengers in port, do you have suggestions on other less crowded beaches in Grand Turk? Thanks in advance!

There are no private beaches on GT, so rent a golf cart and drive around till you see a place you like. Governor's beach is close by, but has no amenities. You could cab or golf cart up to Bohio, a small resort on the far end of the island that has amenities and Excellent snorkeling.

Edited by Anthomaniac

Was in Grand Turk on 7/3 on Conquest, Vista was there at the same time. It was far too crowded for our tastes. If I had planned ahead, I would have happily gotten away from the port area.

There are no private beaches on GT, so rent a golf cart and drive around till you see a place you like. Governor's beach is close by, but has no amenities. You could cab or golf cart up to Bohio, a small resort on the far end of the island that has amenities and Excellent snorkeling.

Thanks much!

Was in Grand Turk on 7/3 on Conquest, Vista was there at the same time. It was far too crowded for our tastes. If I had planned ahead, I would have happily gotten away from the port area.

Confirmed my fears. I plan to get away from the port area. Thanks!

Head to the right as you approach the shore (south) and go around the point. It's not the prettiest beach in GT, and there's no services, but you'll be about the only folks there. Wear water shoes as there are some rough spots.